ADVERTISEMENT

Ash will get us Smashed

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Not a big fan of this hire. I will support it , but I believe we will be posting a lot of 'ash will get us smashed ' on this board in years to come .
Remember plum street coined the term' flood the dud ' before the 2012 season .
I hope I am proven wrong and 'ash won't get us smashed '. Time to get behind the new coach , even if I don't believe .

Not a big fan of this hire. I will support it , but I believe we will be posting a lot of 'ash will get us smashed ' on this board in years to come .
I hope I am proven wrong and 'ash won't get us smashed '. Time to get behind the new coach , even if I don't believe .

Just. Go. Away. Please.

Please elaborate sir

So let me get this straight. You're getting behind the new coach by saying, in essence, that him being hired is a bad call?

Hey when I first posted 'flood is a dud ' on this board I got similar reactions . You know people I don't want to be right here , just giving my thoughts . I hope this guy is the next urban Meyer or even Greg schiano

Reactions: chrisru99
Ash has no NJ ties, we will be in the same predicament as we are today. Can't get top NJ recruits to stay at home.

Not sure where his recruiting footprint will be, Wisconsin and Arkansas are not fertile grounds. Ohio is but the top kids will still go to OSU and Michigans.

Let's see what he can do in the next 2 months recruiting wise. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
Mostly that he was never offered a power 5 head coaching job . Looks like Hobbs is just enamored with Urban's recommendation . It's just Rutgers being Rutgers with a cheap hire
thats what happen with maryland. harbaugh talked to maryland and durkin had the job.

Hey when I first posted 'flood is a dud ' on this board I got similar reactions . You know people I don't want to be right here , just giving my thoughts . I hope this guy is the next urban Meyer or even Greg schiano

The difference vs flood is that we selected Ash, we settled for Flood.

Ash has no NJ ties, we will be in the same predicament as we are today. Can't get top NJ recruits to stay at home.

Not sure where his recruiting footprint will be, Wisconsin and Arkansas are not fertile grounds. Ohio is but the top kids will still go to OSU and Michigans.

Let's see what he can do in the next 2 months recruiting wise. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

The coach doesn't need NJ ties... he just needs a staff that does. The coach's job is to close the deals. Harbaugh has no NJ ties but he absolutely raped NJ for recruits... why? Because he has people that get kids onto UM campus. Barthel did a fine job of getting elite NJ recruits on campus and to get visits... but Flood just couldn't close them. Ash has more big time credibility than Flood so he should have no problem closing the NJ kids out.

Comparing Flood to Ash ain't the same F-ing ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same F-ing sport.

file-3.gif

As a Buckeye fan, I can tell you that of all the coaches we could have lost, Chris is one of them we most wanted to keep. The year before Chris was hired, OSU ranked around 118th in pass defense-this year, I think we were in the top 10. Time will tell, but I think he'll be a great coach for you guys. (and if you don't want him, we'll always take him back). :sunglasses:

OP - I'll tell you this much, if he is good enough for Urban to hire then that's a good enough endorsement for me. Or should we listen to you and your expert knowledge?

I prefer "Ash Smash" in my best Incredible Hulk voice. :smiley:

Is he my top choice? No but I don't see him as any less solid a pick then my guy Aranda or Narduzzi or Herman who I was beating the drum about a couple years ago. How many P5 jobs were Herman/Narduzzi offered or how about Dan Mullen for that matter before Miss. St. I've been saying ad nauseum P5 jobs aren't a dime dozen and most coordinators will take them even the best ones so I don't see it as some come down.

He's been under 2 good to very good coaches in Bielema/Meyer and he's been a solid DC for his career and he's done that for some time as well. Be more concerned about who his OC is and what kind of budget we have for it.

Reactions: RUMountie
I would have liked someone with HC experience and some connection to the area. I think this is a little risky but hopefully we will pay good coin for coordinators. Every great coach has to be a rookie HC at some point, here's hoping he turns out to be a great one.

He recruits NJ. He is the lead recruiter for Fuller and he was responsible for recruiting Patrice Rene.

Again, nearly half the B1G has coaches that either came from a mid-major program or are in their first job. This has just a good a chance to work as not, and I have zero problem with the hire.

"As a Buckeye fan, I can tell you that of all the coaches we could have lost, Chris is one of them we most wanted to keep. The year before Chris was hired, OSU ranked around 118th in pass defense-this year, I think we were in the top 10. Time will tell, but I think he'll be a great coach for you guys. (and if you don't want him, we'll always take him back)."

This. Really hate to lose Ash. Both him and Herman were the behind the scene driving forces in last year's NC run. Give him a couple of years and I believe you guys will be very competitive with a few of the major programs. Time will tell I guess. I had the same reaction back in 2001 when the Buckeyes offered some D-II coach (Youngstown State) named Jim Tressel. I, and many other Buckeyes, were disappointed as some were looking for a big name coach. You just never know but I can tell you that the one steady/solid part of OSU this year was the Ash-lead defense.

I love the Ash hire.....his future will be written now about how he can manage. He needs to get a great staff.

I wish we hire a offensive person but since we have such a terrible defense I can understand hiring a defensive person. If anything, this is the reason we were blown out by most Big Ten teams.

Reactions: Knight Ed
Mostly that he was never offered a power 5 head coaching job . Looks like Hobbs is just enamored with Urban's recommendation . It's just Rutgers being Rutgers with a cheap hire

Oh ok so you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Good to know.

Reactions: RedSpartan
Oh ok so you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Good to know.

Yeah I am dumb or a bum . Why don't you just look that I have been right most of the time on this board ? Maybe plum knows a thing or two about college football . About Rutgers football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT