ADVERTISEMENT

Football Augie Hoffmann to Rutgers

I think just like the B1G leadership, the state of NJ as well as NYC has been waiting a really long time for Rutgers to get serious about their football program. RU has been called the sleeping giant for decades... we saw it for a few years in the 2000s and when the last of Schiano's recruits made some noise the first year in the new conference, hopefully we finally see the potential met sometime this new decade.
It remains to be seen, but it's looking like our prayers have been answered. :Pray: :Praying:

Our last two coaching hires, "Au"rich and "Au"gie, are just "Au"some!

Hoffman will probably coach tight ends. Camp back to running backs. Smith retained until a Special Teams coordinator is found.

Wow, when the other Hoffmann thread popped up yesterday, I thought "Yeah, right". I mean, how could GS pull off another coup in getting another BIG time winning private Northern NJ HS coach?

Great hire, although he was definitely a booster in terms of getting his players to consider us previously. Among others, I am interested in seeing how everyone fits into the staff.

I love seeing all the guys with Jersey roots. They will be able to talk to the NJ kids and relate. They know the HS's, they know the coaches, they know the state. Having all these guys that grew up here will help bring state pride to the program, not to mention they are good

Reactions: Section124
I remember we missed out, I thought he was a little dismissive of RU as well but maybe I am mistaken.
Well, it was Shea as coach at the time when we knew he would be gone soon. Could you blame him?

So, I think this is all correct - please let me know if I'm off base...

The offensive staff looks like:
OC - Gleeson
OL - Aurich
WR - Underwood
RB - Smith (if he's retained)
TBD - Campanile
TBD - Hoffman

And the defensive staff looks like:
DC - TBD (possibly Campanile)
DL - Panagos
LB - Fraser
DB - Brown

Special Teams - TBD
S&C - Parker (if he's retained)

So the questions are:
- Who will be DC? Seems like there's a lot of signs pointing to Campanile, but nothing official yet.
- Will Parker and Smith be retained? Parker may have been at least retained so the kids could continue with their S&C while a search continues, or he may be retained for next year too. No idea about Smith.
- Who is Special Teams? If Smith is retained, it's possible that Nunzio Campanile is given ST (and TEs)? If Smith isn't retained, then possibly Hoffman or Campanile get RBs, and we're still looking for a ST Coordinator.

Gleason is OC/QB (minor detail really but just pointing out)

Staff is limited to 10 coaches.
I really like the 6/4 split.

Schiano adds an extra .5 coach to the defensive side.

00LbrooksWeb-articleLarge.jpg

I hate hippies.

This is a great coaching staff.
This is the BEST coaching staff we have ever had. In fact, each coach may be the best we have had at their position

Having money to spend on a staff helps a lot, but I’m blown away by this line up of coaches.

For the first time, I’m thinking Rutgers understands what is required to compete with the big boys.

This is a great coaching staff.

IMO Greg has built the exact staff we need. Deep, deep NJ connections from South Jersey to arguably the most important area, North Jersey Catholics. GS hasn’t made a single hire that’s made me question it even the tiniest bit.

Now these guys will need to develop talent (which they’ve done at the HS level) and that’s a major part of being successful. However looking strictly at this staff from a recruiting standpoint - this is like the NJ all star coaches line up with regards to keeping the top public and private recruits home in NJ! It’s very exciting...hats off to GS!

Reactions: Kbee3 and Loyal-Son
This is the BEST coaching staff we have ever had. In fact, each coach may be the best we have had at their position

Having money to spend on a staff helps a lot, but I’m blown away by this line up of coaches.

For the first time, I’m thinking Rutgers understands what is required to compete with the big boys.
So true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT