ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Aundre Hyatt transfers to Rutgers

Pet peeve: Amazing that a basketball writer can pen an article on a recruit and nowhere does he mention the player’s height which is probably the one thing any fan would want to know. Do better, Brian.
His height is listed in the article that Richard wrote.

Who is Brian?

It’s not discussed because we’re likely going to play two wings and not really differentiate between SF and PF (3 vs 4). Last year, we mostly played 3 guard line ups with RHJ at the 4 which resulted in him playing out of position and getting overwhelmed on defense at times.
So then what’s your lineup?

On paper this is a headscractcher. We take a guy who barely makes the LSU rotation and has no games where his u

What goes this say about Mag and Palmquist?

I’ll trust Pike here. What I see on my kenpom or barrovik don’t always tell the complete story.

This doesn’t feel like something that moves the needle at all for us. I hope my gut is wrong.

it is also possible be a potential clue Geo is not coming back.

There's no world where Rutgers was getting a star from a tournament team as a transfer. Hyatt was playing bigger minutes toward the end of the year.

Rutgers is going to run a rotation like:

Baker
Jones
McConnell
Mulcahy
Harper
Hyatt
Mag
Omoruyi
(Another transfer big or Reiber)

There's your 9-man rotation. Maybe Palmquist can break through, maybe not. Hyatt also provides insurance if Harper gets a good evaluation and decides to go pro. Jalen Miller would pick up minutes if Geo Baker doesn't return either.

Reactions: Scangg and Gudenham
Put me in the camp that this seems like a better addition than the other names that have been mentioned on this site. However, many of those names did not seem worthy of a lot of excitement. I think patience is required to see what the final roster looks like when they head to Spain. Only then, we will be able to assess it against what we have had the last couple of years.

I mean it's a good pickup and more than I thought we'd land. We need a few pickups like this. 1000% better than paulicap would've been. Not as good as young or johnson but an upgrade over mathis so let's keep it up

I know you're looking at this as a trade or swap but it's really not looked at that way by most college basketball coaches. Whether it can be agreed on or not, most coaches look at it this way.

Year 2 Cliff Omoyuri, replacing Year 4 Myles Johnsons 9PPG and almost 9RPG and 2 blocks. Can Cliff "jump" from Year 1 to Year 2?? I think this is where the staff is placing more emphasis on this than fans may believe.

Back up Center/PF.....this player needs to be a strong rebounder and defender to replace what Cliff gave in Year 1. While the assumption is another big arrives, if that person comes from the portal OR is being asked of Dean Reiber to give RU the jump from 0.8 PPG in an average of 5 minutes a game up to 4 to 6PPG in 15 minutes that Cliff gave on average.

It would make sense to add a layer of talent up front in case Cliff does match or exceed Myles, so the drop-off from starter to backup isn't drastic.

The rest of the roster is looked at this way.

If you play Hyatt some minutes at the "4", as a strong rebounder, can he give you front court production in a similar fashion that Yeboah did?? If the answer is yes, then you have more choices to mix and match lineups. You are not going to get the defense lost with Myles. But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask Cliff to go from 4 PPG to 9 or 10PPG with more shots and playing time.

The guards left all have to go up 2 PPG vs last year.

Baker replaces Young production from 10 to 11PPG to Young around 13 PPG

Jaden Jones is the X-Factor. Can a frosh give you 7 to 9PPG....I think it's a certain possibility, since most RU frosh in the Pike era who have played 20+ minutes a game, have gotten to that range..

If you get Jaden Jones enough playing time and shots, he can give you 8 to 10PPG...obviously it is a grey area to ask that much of a 1st year player but if not him, a combination of Jaden Jones and Jalen Miller in their minutes on the floor should be able to give you 11- 12PPG combined.

Once that happens, you now have to ask for Caleb and Mulcahy (and Mag) to make the jumps up in production from their current levels to the next phase. I think that gives that trio more responsibility to play well.

The variable is Mag.....can he play the 3 and 4 and find the floor to give defense and rebounding/put backs and play solid off the bench.

The issue with Cliff is not whether he can “step up” to Myles’ production, but rather whether he can limit his fouling so he has a chance to play more. He was prone to picking up fouls quickly and whereas Myles learned how to limit his fouls, we have not seen Cliff do so.

Reactions: RUhobbit
So then what’s your lineup?

In general, I think “line up” outside of the 5 is going to be a softer term on next year’s team. Every player with prior experience can play multiple positions and is 6-4 or taller (this is very different from having a 6-2 mpg PG-only guy absorbing 30+ minutes as we had this year). I expect the “floor” allocation breakdown (i.e. I’m not assuming anyone “new” turns out to be a stud) to look something like this:

RHJ - 32 mpg
Geo - 30 mpg
Caleb - 27 mpg
Cliff - 24 mpg
Paul - 25 mpg
Hyatt - 22 mpg
Jaden - 18 mpg
Reiber / new BIG - 12 mpg
Mag / Oscar - 10 mpg

The addition of Hyatt makes it possible to play a few minutes a game (on average depending on the other team’s sub patterns) without a 5 (you can get away with that for stretches when your PG is 6-4 and your other 5 on the floor all run 6-6 to 6-8).

Note that Caleb might not even start but it’s unlikely he plays less minutes than this unless Jalen comes in and contributes right away (I assumed this doesn’t happen in the floor projection). He’s going to be shifted around from guard to wing a lot next season as he’ll always be the second ball handling option whenever either PM or Geo is on the bench.

1/2 of conference game he got between DNP and 8 minutes.

Young started 10 of 66 games at UT and averaged 3.7 and 6.2 ppg in his two years there. JY averaged about 16mpg in both years at UT. Hyatt averaged 11 and 16 minutes his two years at LSU. I think Coach P sees something he likes in kids like Young and Hyatt. Highly regarded coming out of HS, got (relatively) a decent amount of PT in college and looking for a change of scenery/coaching to unlock full potential. Totally different skill sets between Young and Hyatt, but there are some similarities in the way both came to RU.

Time will tell, but I think Hyatt slides in to the Yeboah role we saw in the '19-'20 season. I don't think Akwasi was much taller than 6'6", but he could get to the glass a bit and did a nice job guarding B1G "4's". Very nice add (imo).

Last edited:
Is this lineup too slow to play man-to-man defense? Is a zone defense needed next year?

Aundre can play defense, rebound and score. It‘s hard to get a rhythm when you have two NBA draft picks in front of you at your positions. When your starter takes a breather, you are being told to play defense, rebound and not shoot unless it is a layup. Hyatt’s accuracy and scoring totals will increase proportionately to the amount of floor time he sees. The kid is a player.

In general, I think “line up” outside of the 5 is going to be a softer term on next year’s team. Every player with prior experience can play multiple positions and is 6-4 or taller (this is very different from having a 6-2 mpg PG-only guy absorbing 30+ minutes as we had this year). I expect the “floor” allocation breakdown (i.e. I’m not assuming anyone “new” turns out to be a stud) to look something like this:

RHJ - 32 mpg
Geo - 30 mpg
Caleb - 27 mpg
Cliff - 24 mpg
Paul - 25 mpg
Hyatt - 22 mpg
Jaden - 18 mpg
Reiber / new BIG - 12 mpg
Mag / Oscar - 10 mpg

The addition of Hyatt makes it possible to play a few minutes a game (on average depending on the other team’s sub patterns) without a 5 (you can get away with that for stretches when your PG is 6-4 and your other 5 on the floor all run 6-6 to 6-8).

Note that Caleb might not even start but it’s unlikely he plays less minutes than this unless Jalen comes in and contributes right away (I assumed this doesn’t happen in the floor projection). He’s going to be shifted around from guard to wing a lot next season as he’ll always be the second ball handling option whenever either PM or Geo is on the bench.
Yeah I get the language about the lineups yada yada yada. My thought is that Pike didn’t bring Hyatt here to play just 22 minutes a game. Before you say minutes are earned and starting doesn’t mean anything I’m sure Hyatt was promised every chance to start.

I mean it's a good pickup and more than I thought we'd land. We need a few pickups like this. 1000% better than paulicap would've been. Not as good as young or johnson but an upgrade over mathis so let's keep it up

Completely different type of pick up from Pauly. Cliff has 4 years of eligibility remaining. It’s not realistic to expect us to land a “stud” who will now roll into Cliff’s same class (or worse - graduate sooner) to back him up. But we do need a back up as an insurance in case Reiber doesn’t develop or someone gets hurt. We need to bring in a Shaq Carter / Doorson type and Pauly would’ve filled that role well - unfortunately WVU was in the market for the same type of kid and beat us out.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Yeah I get the language about the lineups yada yada yada. My thought is that Pike didn’t bring Hyatt here to play just 22 minutes a game. Before you say minutes are earned and starting doesn’t mean anything I’m sure Hyatt was promised every chance to start.

Huh? I doubt anyone is ever told they won’t have an opportunity to compete for a starting spot. That said - this doesn’t seem like a case where Pike had to promise the kid the world to transfer to Rutgers. He has 3 years of eligibility left, only averaged 16 mpg at LSU (it’s not like he’s taking much of a risk of playing less) and like JY and Myles, the COVID year away from his family likely took its toll. Isn’t it more likely that this time that factor just worked out in our favor?

Edit - note that Hyatt may well start and only play 22 minutes. I think either he or Jaden will start. Not sure which one. Either Caleb or PM will come off the bench but will play a lot. PM’s minutes probably go down slightly as he won’t see time at the wing.

Very glad Wade couldn’t Hold that Tiger..Aundre will fill a much needed void left by the departures of Young & Mathis. Still would like to pick up another guard. As for a power forward, I am sure there are a bunch out there that they are recruiting that we don’t know about yet. This was a surprise, so I am sure Pike has more in store..

FWIW, RHJ replied to the commitment in an IG story by saying "Awww mannn might have to run it back😲😲". Reading into those words kind of tells you, he was comfortable with his decision, NBA or possible transfer, before this commitment.

Reactions: kyleman4
I watched the LSU vs Tenn game from February last night because it was one of Hyatts best stat games (8 pt and 8 reb). Not too involved in the offense, he would just glide into the corners and wait, pull defenders out of the box and not get many passes. He hit the 2 three pointers i saw him take from the corner and looked smooth taking that shot. Got blocked going weak to the rim once and fouled another time. Made both FT easily. His defense was good, very straight up, doesnt look like he could get many fouls.

Agreed. One BIG (JUCO or portal) and possibly a surprise sharp shooter out of high school. Pike mentioned high school on the podcast. At this stage, we could afford to redshirt a SG if a kid wasn’t ready so I’d see that as the position we’d shop the HS market for.
Could also possibly redshirt Jalen Miller if we can land a quality experienced PG transfer.

In fairness - it was a small sample size (he only attempted 35 threes) and he started the season off really poor from the perimeter (missed his first 5 threes in the first 2 games). After that he shot 33.33% from 3 for the remainder of the season.
He's 22 of 85 over his 2 years, which is a bit over 25%.

Last edited:
I know you're looking at this as a trade or swap but it's really not looked at that way by most college basketball coaches. Whether it can be agreed on or not, most coaches look at it this way.

Year 2 Cliff Omoyuri, replacing Year 4 Myles Johnsons 9PPG and almost 9RPG and 2 blocks. Can Cliff "jump" from Year 1 to Year 2?? I think this is where the staff is placing more emphasis on this than fans may believe.

Back up Center/PF.....this player needs to be a strong rebounder and defender to replace what Cliff gave in Year 1. While the assumption is another big arrives, if that person comes from the portal OR is being asked of Dean Reiber to give RU the jump from 0.8 PPG in an average of 5 minutes a game up to 4 to 6PPG in 15 minutes that Cliff gave on average.

It would make sense to add a layer of talent up front in case Cliff does match or exceed Myles, so the drop-off from starter to backup isn't drastic.

The rest of the roster is looked at this way.

If you play Hyatt some minutes at the "4", as a strong rebounder, can he give you front court production in a similar fashion that Yeboah did?? If the answer is yes, then you have more choices to mix and match lineups. You are not going to get the defense lost with Myles. But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask Cliff to go from 4 PPG to 9 or 10PPG with more shots and playing time.

The guards left all have to go up 2 PPG vs last year.

Baker replaces Young production from 10 to 11PPG to Young around 13 PPG

Jaden Jones is the X-Factor. Can a frosh give you 7 to 9PPG....I think it's a certain possibility, since most RU frosh in the Pike era who have played 20+ minutes a game, have gotten to that range..

If you get Jaden Jones enough playing time and shots, he can give you 8 to 10PPG...obviously it is a grey area to ask that much of a 1st year player but if not him, a combination of Jaden Jones and Jalen Miller in their minutes on the floor should be able to give you 11- 12PPG combined.

Once that happens, you now have to ask for Caleb and Mulcahy (and Mag) to make the jumps up in production from their current levels to the next phase. I think that gives that trio more responsibility to play well.

The variable is Mag.....can he play the 3 and 4 and find the floor to give defense and rebounding/put backs and play solid off the bench.
I think most people look at it the way you are looking at it.

I agree that Mag is a variable I think he can become a good player for us this year both ways actually.

And Jones is key, along with any newcomers really, to give us some scoring that we need to improve in.

Reactions: Scangg
In fairness - it was a small sample size (he only attempted 35 threes) and he started the season off really poor from the perimeter (missed his first 5 threes in the first 2 games). After that he shot 33.33% from 3 for the remainder of the season.
Yea, looking at this game logs there’s a lot of games where he played a decent amount of minutes but really didn’t take very many shots, it looks like the only game he had double digit FG attempts was the game against St. Bonaventure where he posted 14 and 10.

I think @Lawboy12007 has it right, doesn’t seem like he was given much of a green light on offense at LSU, I expect he’ll have more opportunities to let it fly here.

What we do know is this team has a big defensive and rebounding void to fill after the departures we’ve had this offseason. This guy checks both of those boxes. We’ll see how his offensive game comes together.

Last edited:
There's no world where Rutgers was getting a star from a tournament team as a transfer. Hyatt was playing bigger minutes toward the end of the year.

Rutgers is going to run a rotation like:

Baker
Jones
McConnell
Mulcahy
Harper
Hyatt
Mag
Omoruyi
(Another transfer big or Reiber)

There's your 9-man rotation. Maybe Palmquist can break through, maybe not. Hyatt also provides insurance if Harper gets a good evaluation and decides to go pro. Jalen Miller would pick up minutes if Geo Baker doesn't return either.
Very fair. This guy isn’t our savior. On a team that I believe is starving for defensive perimeter players I trust he will foot the bill.

Knowing Baker and Harper will be coming back and with Hyatt addition feeling more optimistic about next season

Reactions: MV9000
He's 22 of 85 over his 2 years.

Yes - as said, a very small sample size. But then again. Pike made the tournament 2 years in a row with 31% 3-pt shooting. He’s had success winning with defense.

Our teams from 2009-2013 shot a lot better from 3 and we had consistent losing records. The 2012-13 team shot better than 35% from the perimeter.

Reactions: KevH and RUDieHard
Young started 10 of 66 games at UT and averaged 3.7 and 6.2 ppg in his two years there. JY averaged about 16mpg in both years at UT. Hyatt averaged 11 and 16 minutes his two years at LSU. I think Coach P sees something he likes in kids like Young and Hyatt. Highly regarded coming out of HS, got (relatively) a decent amount of PT in college and looking for a change of scenery/coaching to unlock full potential. Totally different skill sets between Young and Hyatt, but there are some similarities in the way both cameras to RU.

Time will tell, but I think Hyatt slides in to the Yeboah role we saw in the '19-'20 season. I don't think Akwasi was much taller than 6'6", but he could get to the glass a bit and did a nice job guarding B1G "4's". Very nice add (imo).
The hope in my eyes......

1. he is a plus defender
2. He comes out of his LsU shell and provides some offense
3. Improves his defensive rebounding metrics

this will allow us to have him and Ron on the floor and not get beat on the defensive glass like we did last year.

contrary to the board majority position. The problem wasn’t Ron playing out of position at the 4. It was the lack of defensive rebounding out of our 3 (when Caleb wasn’t in game) primarily and 2 secondarily

Yes - as said, a very small sample size. But then again. Pike made the tournament 2 years in a row with 31% 3-pt shooting. He’s had success winning with defense.

Our teams from 2009-2013 shot a lot better from 3 and we had consistent losing records. The 2012-13 team shot better than 35% from the perimeter.
I think he has only missed 5 FTs in his college career!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT