ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Aundre Hyatt transfers to Rutgers

Apparently it has something of the opposite effect for FT shooting.....

Young: .722 at Texas, .667 at RU
Yeboah: .795 at Stony Brook, .781 at RU
Kiss: .742 at Quinnipiac, .563 at RU
N. Johnson: .677 at KState, .700 at RU

Maybe we can get Kevin Bannon back to teach our guys how to shoot free throws. 😁

giphy.gif

When’s the last time someone measured the diameter of our baskets at the RAC? Wonder what percentage visiting teams shoot versus our percentage at the RAC? Do the men and women use the same diameter hoops? I know the women use a smaller ball.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in watching the LSU-Michigan game. I am assuming by looking at their lineup that he would have guarded Wagner.
You've probably already seen the highlights of that game, but for anyone who hasn't and wants to, this is a 10 minute video of highlights from LSU's tournament loss to Michigan... Aundre Hyatt (#15) is on the floor for the vast majority of the video.

Aundre hardly touched the ball but he had a beautiful pass on a breakaway for a score and late had a nice interception for a layup. He did seem to play pretty well considering that the offense didn't seem to include him at all.

Aundre hardly touched the ball but he had a beautiful pass on a breakaway for a score and late had a nice interception for a layup. He did seem to play pretty well considering that the offense didn't seem to include him at all.
Yeah.... He started that game, played 24 minutes, and took only 3 of his team's 69 shots, going 1-3. He had 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, and no turnovers.

Yup. LSU had two players (Thomas, Watford) take over 50% of the teams' shots and four players (Thomas, Watford, Smart, Days) take almost 79% of LSU's shots. To put that in perspective Rutgers top two (Harper, Young) took 42% of our shots and the top 4 (Harper, Young, Baker, Mathis) took 72% of our shots.

Hyatt took 85 shots for LSU which was the 5th most shot attempts on the LSU team. Myles, Mulcahy and McConnell took 156, 121 and 139 shots respectively. The player who took the 7th most shot attempts at Rutgers (Mulcahy) took almost 40 more shots than Hyatt. And I don't think any of us would say Mulcahy shot a lot. It appears lots more opportunity for a player like Hyatt at Rutgers.
Great job putting numbers to what I saw. Based on that math, I would expect Hyatt to double his shots and probably his points too.

I love it when pikiell does this sh*t. Had everyone questioning what he was thinking can’t close kids and bam. Basically nullifies losing Montez and except we now have a kid who wants to be here.

At what point do we just accept pikiell knows what he is doing?
Most of us have. The great silent majority vs. the not-so-great vocal minority.

(Can't believe I'm quoting Tricky Dick here)

Crazy 7’4” wingspan with his height being “only” 6’6”. Listed at 225 pounds...and looks every bit of that on tape. So he already has the NBA body.
Really good FT shooter in limited attempts.
If he improves as much as Jacob Young did at RU, then he’s practically Mr. ‘Double-double’ by 2024... I’ll guess he averages 12 ppg and “only” 7 rebs his senior season, but has 6 games with a double double.

Put me in the camp that this seems like a better addition than the other names that have been mentioned on this site. However, many of those names did not seem worthy of a lot of excitement. I think patience is required to see what the final roster looks like when they head to Spain. Only then, we will be able to assess it against what we have had the last couple of years.
Not going to Spain this year
Most of us have. The great silent majority vs. the not-so-great vocal minority.

(Can't believe I'm quoting Tricky Dick here)
You mean the nattering nabobs of negativism?

I can be negative sometimes, but some of you guys are ridiculous. This is a great get. As good as we can do. A guy who played power 5 basketball on a tourney team who seems to be on the upswing. Finishing the season strong. Has a sweet stroke. Great FT shooter and a solid long defender. All we are crying about is his 3pt percentage? It will most likely jump up with consistent attempts and confidence. He has the stroke from what I see.

I can be negative sometimes, but some of you guys are ridiculous. This is a great get. As good as we can do. A guy who played power 5 basketball on a tourney team who seems to be on the upswing. Finishing the season strong. Has a sweet stroke. Great FT shooter and a solid long defender. All we are crying about is his 3pt percentage? It will most likely jump up with consistent attempts and confidence. He has the stroke from what I see.
When Jacob Young arrived, his three was nothing but a heave and he was a charging call waiting to happen.
Hyatt will be just the opposite of JY at first offensively since he’s been tentative by design at LSU as an ‘off ball offender’ (stand in corner and then arrive late to the basket to grab offensive boards).
Defensively, Hyatt is already a solid defender and his ticket to the NBA would be as a ‘three and D’ guy. No reason he can’t become a 35%+ consistent 3 pt shooter in college. Looks like he might need to improve his flexibility though as he looks a little stiff and weight-room jacked right now.

I'm also in the camp that Hyatt is a good get for us. I think he fits into what Pike is trying to do, and clearly was a kid he wanted out of HS. Will be interesting to see how he's used here - Young had been used in a role he wasn't suited to at Texas and blossomed here, and it's possible Hyatt was in a similar scenario at LSU.

We still need a third center, though. We won't survive the B1G schedule with just two.

If Baker/Harper both return, I think that'll be all we take for next year's roster.

Starting on day one: Baker, Mulcahy, McConnell, Harper, Omoruyi
Reserves: Jones, Hyatt, Reiber, Miller, Mag, Palmquist, TBD Center

I'm also in the camp that Hyatt is a good get for us. I think he fits into what Pike is trying to do . . .
I agree with this, to an extent. Hyatt seems like he could be a Pike kid. Defense, rebound, crash the boards and score, etc. But we shouldn't kid ourselves that this is the prototype of what he wants. It's what he's getting. I think he wants shooters, scorers too. He's just not getting as many as he wants, at least not yet. In the past, his offer lists included other more highly rated guys who are scorers. They went elsewhere. And, yes, you can't win 'em all, and you need to be able to coach kids up, which Pike does. But my take is that what Pike is trying to do is get more scorers than he's gotten.

I'm also in the camp that Hyatt is a good get for us. I think he fits into what Pike is trying to do, and clearly was a kid he wanted out of HS. Will be interesting to see how he's used here - Young had been used in a role he wasn't suited to at Texas and blossomed here, and it's possible Hyatt was in a similar scenario at LSU.

We still need a third center, though. We won't survive the B1G schedule with just two.

If Baker/Harper both return, I think that'll be all we take for next year's roster.

Starting on day one: Baker, Mulcahy, McConnell, Harper, Omoruyi
Reserves: Jones, Hyatt, Reiber, Miller, Mag, Palmquist, TBD Center
Did I miss something...who is our 2nd center?

I agree with this, to an extent. Hyatt seems like he could be a Pike kid. Defense, rebound, crash the boards and score, etc. But we shouldn't kid ourselves that this is the prototype of what he wants. It's what he's getting. I think he wants shooters, scorers too. He's just not getting as many as he wants, at least not yet. In the past, his offer lists included other more highly rated guys who are scorers. They went elsewhere. And, yes, you can't win 'em all, and you need to be able to coach kids up, which Pike does. But my take is that what Pike is trying to do is get more scorers than he's gotten.
This.....

PLUS.....what about Mag? Is Hyatt better than Mag?

I know what everyone wants Hyatt to be. I can't help look at his game logs.

I know I am being a tad hypocritical (who isn't) because I downplayed Harrar's numbers at PSU.

I'll hang my hat on Pike and his track record here PLUS l like D and toughness. He must have it to play (at least in the end of the season) with his awful stats on a tournament team

Yes, he wants shooters and scorers, and more than he's gotten - but I don't know how willing he is to sacrifice defense and rebounding to get it. He wants a hard worker, someone who will earn their minutes on the defensive side of the ball and on the glass.... who can also score. It's that last bit that's tough, because guys who can do all of those things tend to be very high up the recruiting board for everyone.

I think his identity is as a defensive coach - he's not looking to win shootouts by bringing more firepower to the fight, but instead to score more points than he allows.

I think Hyatt fits what he's trying to do, and checks a lot of boxes for him. Defense, rebounding, length, interchangeability of position, motor, etc. Question is if he thrives more offensively in our scheme than in LSU's iso-heavy, center-less scheme that focused its offense around just a few players - and how well he buys into Pike's development.

Did I miss something...who is our 2nd center?

Reiber is our 2nd body at center, and if no more additions get made will get the ~15 minutes not used by Omoruyi. I'd expect we get a third body at center to create competition for the backup spot and allow us to have a big in the middle when Omoruyi/backup get into foul trouble.

Depending on who we get will determine whether Reiber is the #2 or #3 center.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Maybe he’ll get the winning putback bucket vs Michigan at home this year, to end the drought. Would be a nice redemption for the miss for LSU in SEC final..things many times work out that way
I think he will fit the pounding nails, lunchpail system that Pike installed, and Knight brought in from Pitt..

We can never know completely, but we can to some extent. His offer lists signal a lot.

Hyatt was a highly regarded guy Pike offered out of HS, too (4 stars on Rivals, #63 on the 2019 Rivals150 before he reclassified to 2018, 16 major conference offers) - and now he's here. So I'd imagine he's a pretty good example of the type of player Pike's looking for.

This.....

PLUS.....what about Mag? Is Hyatt better than Mag?

I know what everyone wants Hyatt to be. I can't help look at his game logs.

I know I am being a tad hypocritical (who isn't) because I downplayed Harrar's numbers at PSU.

I'll hang my hat on Pike and his track record here PLUS l like D and toughness. He must have it to play (at least in the end of the season) with his awful stats on a tournament team

Guessing that Hyatt will be in the guard rotation (i.e. replacing Mathis) and that Mag will play on the wing.

Reactions: RUDead
Guessing that Hyatt will be in the guard rotation (i.e. replacing Mathis) and that Mag will play on the wing.

My guess is that Hyatt will most likely be in the "third guard" spot that Mathis was in offensively, and probably defend the opposing 3 (but can switch coverages from 2-4)

My guess is that Hyatt will most likely be in the "third guard" spot that Mathis was in offensively, and probably defend the opposing 3 (but can switch coverages from 2-4)

I’m not sure we’ll really have hard “positions” from 1-4 next year with guys ranging from 6-4 to 6-8. I think it’ll be more like we have guys who can be primary ball handlers - Geo, PM, Caleb, Miller and guys who cannot (not sure about kids like Jones). Most of the time, we’ll probably have 2 ball handlers in the game. Not being able to do that was the biggest limitation of the 2018-19 team.

I’m not sure we’ll really have hard “positions” from 1-4 next year with guys ranging from 6-4 to 6-8. I think it’ll be more like we have guys who can be primary ball handlers - Geo, PM, Caleb, Miller and guys who cannot (not sure about kids like Jones). Most of the time, we’ll probably have 2 ball handlers in the game. Not being able to do that was the biggest limitation of the 2018-19 team.

Yeah, and I see Hyatt more as a 2-4 type in that I don't expect him to be a primary ball handler, and he'll be switched to guard the 4 at times because of his length. With two primary ball handlers on the floor Baker/Mulcahy, Baker/Miller, etc... that'd put Hyatt as the "third guard" spot on the wing.

Reiber is our 2nd body at center, and if no more additions get made will get the ~15 minutes not used by Omoruyi. I'd expect we get a third body at center to create competition for the backup spot and allow us to have a big in the middle when Omoruyi/backup get into foul trouble.

Depending on who we get will determine whether Reiber is the #2 or #3 center.
Let's hope he continues to improve. At some point you have to ask, especially if you have depth elsewhere, if you play a bunch of minutes with 3 guards and 2 forwards and try to make it back on the offensive end.

I hate this. I am a fan of a shot blocking 5 making the other 4 defenders better. If you don't have it I'd rather see a skilled guy sitting on the bench on the floor.

How are we going to score?

Think about the lineups we will put on the floor. On paper Mag, Mulcahy and Hyatt are (to be nice) developing offensive players.

Hyatt was a highly regarded guy Pike offered out of HS, too (4 stars on Rivals, #63 on the 2019 Rivals150 before he reclassified to 2018, 16 major conference offers) - and now he's here. So I'd imagine he's a pretty good example of the type of player Pike's looking for.
Once again, to an extent. He now has two years under his belt in college, and the results are mixed. And that's factored in now. But, sure, Pike liked him out of HS. That's something.

How are we going to score?

Think about the lineups we will put on the floor. On paper Mag, Mulcahy and Hyatt are (to be nice) developing offensive players.

My prediction:

RHJ - 17 ppg (he’d better return)
Geo - 12 ppg
Caleb - 11 ppg
Cliff - 10 ppg
PM - 8 ppg
Hyatt - 7 ppg
Jones - 6 ppg
Reiber / New Big - 3 ppg
Other players - 2 ppg

My prediction:

RHJ - 17 ppg (he’d better return)
Geo - 12 ppg
Caleb - 11 ppg
Cliff - 10 ppg
PM - 8 ppg
Hyatt - 7 ppg
Jones - 6 ppg
Reiber / New Big - 3 ppg
Other players - 2 ppg
I don’t see how Cliff could score 10 and Paul 8.

we need a guy that can put the ball in the hoop

I get REAL concerned asking Ron and Geo to shoulder the burden of scoring. I appreciate you putting this in paper, however it doesn’t make me feel optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT