ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Aundre Hyatt transfers to Rutgers

I don’t see how Cliff could score 10 and Paul 8.

we need a guy that can put the ball in the hoop

I get REAL concerned asking Ron and Geo to shoulder the burden of scoring. I appreciate you putting this in paper, however it doesn’t make me feel optimistic.

They are guesses on a message board. No one knows but the speculation is fun to read. If you look at the message board PPG guesses from last summer they were probably way off.

This is the time of year that EVERYONE is a PPG and MPG projection expert.

Last edited:
I don’t see how Cliff could score 10 and Paul 8.

we need a guy that can put the ball in the hoop

I get REAL concerned asking Ron and Geo to shoulder the burden of scoring. I appreciate you putting this in paper, however it doesn’t make me feel optimistic.

You do realize that Paul scored 6 this past year against hardly any cupcakes right? 8 would be one more basket a game.

Cliff played under 15 mpg. If you add 10 additional minutes of PT based on his current year results he’d be around 7. Again - only a few cupcakes in there whereas next year 1/3 of the schedule will be cupcakes. But regardless - I think we’ll get around 12-13 from the 5 spot a game in some combo of him or subs - Dean / transfer TBD even if it’s more like 8 / 4.

One more big and I think we dance again.

Hyatt is a really nice pick up especially replacing Tez, you’re giving up some speed for composure. I also think his 3 ball will be more utilized than At LSU where he was obviously not a focal point. He is big bodied and can bang. Good stroke.

not sure what caliber back up C is available.

One more big and I think we dance again.

Hyatt is a really nice pick up especially replacing Tez, you’re giving up some speed for composure. I also think his 3 ball will be more utilized than At LSU where he was obviously not a focal point. He is big bodied and can bang. Good stroke.

not sure what caliber back up C is available.
If you are a St. John's fan and you have the choice of trading Mathis for Hyatt I think you will get a big fat PASS

Reactions: Knight Ed
They are guesses on a message board. No one knows but the speculation is fun to read. If you look at the message board PPG guesses from last summer they were probably way off.

This is the time of year that EVERYONE is a PPG and MPG projection expert.
I'd love to resurrect some of those from the past, except for any I authored.

I am guessing you would have wished you took the OVER on that waste of a transfer and sit out year Young.

Were there other portal transfers who we were pursuing who appeared to be shooters who committed elsewhere before we got this commitment?

If you are a St. John's fan and you have the choice of trading Mathis for Hyatt I think you will get a big fat PASS

Maybe - but only because of the style they play. Tez is a thrasher whose PT would be limited to an extent in many college offenses. He doesn’t handle enough to play point. He’s undersized for the 3. That leaves him mostly slotted into the 2 slot except he’s not a very good perimeter shooter and he’s a poor FT shooter - not such great traits for any team that plays a more traditional style.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Don't sum the low end of your estimates

Ha - well, it's not generally expected that everyone hits the low end on a given night, but it's certainly possible. We did win 4 games this year scoring 64 points or less.

The range is 62 to 79, which is fairly realistic give that 17 of our 28 games last year fell in that range (and 21 of 31 were in that range the year prior). When we scored at least 61 points this season, we were 15-7. When we scored 70 points, we were 11-1.

Harper scored 7.8 and Mathis 8.5 in their first year. If they could make FTs they would have been at 10 ppg.

Why is 10 ppg for Jones so much of a stretch for a shooter on a team that needs shooting ?
The numbers that are posted seem very reasonable. Someone is going to surprise to the upside. My money is still on a guy who right now 99% of us (including me) never heard of.

Ha - well, it's not generally expected that everyone hits the low end on a given night, but it's certainly possible. We did win 4 games this year scoring 64 points or less.

The range is 62 to 79, which is fairly realistic give that 17 of our 28 games last year fell in that range. When we scored at least 61 points this season, we were 15-7. When we scored 70 points, we were 11-1.
Still hoping for a GRF special, preseason NIT retro style. No shot clock and no 3 point shot. Music to my ears.

62 would be in that 11-1 range, especially with the looks of the 2021-22 squad

Hyatt is a really nice pick up especially replacing Tez, you’re giving up some speed for composure.
How often will Hyatt put his head down and drive too far into traffic without looking to pass? Mathis won the December Purdue game for us with his red-hot shooting that night, but I will not miss most of those drives.

Can we pull out the old "Young transfers to Rutgers" thread to see if the same people selling low on Hyatt were doing the same with Young?

If nothing else, this board is predictable.

There were a TON of question marks about Young coming out of Texas - and again, it was because the system down there was using him in a way that didn't suit his strengths. I'm hoping the same holds true for Hyatt.

I remember my criticism of him at the time was that he put up an absurd number of threes and was only shooting .271 from the arc. He was shooting 7.8 threes per 40 min at Texas (which dropped to 4.0 at Rutgers), and 63% of his attempts were coming from three (which dropped to 28% at RU). He was also shooting just 1.4 FTs/40 min at Texas, which jumped to 4.0 at RU.

Somehow Texas had him essentially camping outside the arc shooting threes, without penetrating to the basket. Pike flipped that script entirely, and it payed huge dividends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
Let me know if you think this makes sense...which of these two players would you want, if they both were in the portal.

88-206 ( 42.7%) from 2.....

44-121 from 3....(36.4% from 3)

4.4 RPG

70% from FT Line

29 Minutes per game

PPG

OR

38-85 overall (44.7%) from 2....

10-35 from 3...(28.6%)

70% FT shooter

3.1 RPG

16 minutes a game.

4.2 PPG

Let me know if you think this makes sense...which of these two players would you want, if they both were in the portal.

4.4 RPG

70% from FT Line

29 Minutes per game

PPG

OR

10-35 from 3...(28.6%)

70% FT shooter

3.1 RPG

16 minutes a game.

4.2 PPG
I want whichever one we don't have.

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
If Geo, Ron, Paul, Jones, Cliff and Caleb come back with the addition of Hyatt we are a better team than we were last year.

We lose Mathis and young the two most unreliable players on the team. Young was a very good unreliable player but unreliable nonetheless. Adding jones at 6’8” who can really shoot and Hyatt who is a Mathis type player without the “put my head down and drive to see what happens” mentality are upgrades in my book.

Maybe - but only because of the style they play. Tez is a thrasher whose PT would be limited to an extent in many college offenses. He doesn’t handle enough to play point. He’s undersized for the 3. That leaves him mostly slotted into the 2 slot except he’s not a very good perimeter shooter and he’s a poor FT shooter - not such great traits for any team that plays a more traditional style.
Yep. And once again here are the (dreadful) stats compiled
by Mathis this year: FG: .383 3PT: .297 FT: .574
22 Assists 30 Turnovers. Maybe St. Johns wouldn't make
the trade for Hyatt, but I will bet anyone that 3 years of
Aundre will be worth way more than 1 more year of the
aforementioned numbers

If Geo, Ron, Paul, Jones, Cliff and Caleb come back with the addition of Hyatt we are a better team than we were last year.

We lose Mathis and young the two most unreliable players on the team. Young was a very good unreliable player but unreliable nonetheless. Adding jones at 6’8” who can really shoot and Hyatt who is a Mathis type player without the “put my head down and drive to see what happens” mentality are upgrades in my book.
We also lost Myles Johnson

We also lost Myles Johnson

I know. Him and Cliff are very different. I hope it makes us more athletic. Cliff one year older will be a huge improvement and if his upside is as big as everyone says it is he will be better than Myles next year. Myles defensively last year was a stud offensively left a lot to be desired. Most elite schools have guys like Cliff not Myles.

I can be negative sometimes, but some of you guys are ridiculous. This is a great get. As good as we can do. A guy who played power 5 basketball on a tourney team who seems to be on the upswing. Finishing the season strong. Has a sweet stroke. Great FT shooter and a solid long defender. All we are crying about is his 3pt percentage? It will most likely jump up with consistent attempts and confidence. He has the stroke from what I see.
Wait, didn’t you just describe Montez?

Harper scored 7.8 and Mathis 8.5 in their first year. If they could make FTs they would have been at 10 ppg.

Why is 10 ppg for Jones so much of a stretch for a shooter on a team that needs shooting ?

It’s possible but not that likely. This team returns just a tad more experience than that one...

4.4 RPG

70% from FT Line

29 Minutes per game

PPG

OR

10-35 from 3...(28.6%)

70% FT shooter

3.1 RPG

16 minutes a game.

4.2 PPG
One is Hyatt. Whose the other? Montez?

I believe that Paul will step it up this year. He has for 2 years set up other players and took a back seat. I could be wrong but I think he will become more assertive and will score about 10 points per game. He is already showing many leadership qualities and he will be more confident in taking a bigger role.

One is Hyatt. Whose the other? Montez?

The 1st player is actually not someone in the portal, it is the stat line of former RU forward Issa Thiam from his sophomore year in 2017-18....The other is Aundre Hyatt for his sophomore season in 2020-21.

The point of this is to show what a system can do for a player. Issa Thiam was not a player that anyone here is looking for and saying, "man I wish we had a 36.8% 3 point shooter".

It also shows how stats can be manipulated where the transfer portal shows what could be appealing vs not. If you are watching the games, and Pike and this staff can squeeze 7.0PPG, 4 RPG and 36.8% from 3 in 29 minutes a game out of Thiam, it is a relatively safe bet that Hyatt exceeds 7PPG, if he plays 28 to 29 minutes a game. If he plays 28 minutes, I would look for 10 to 12PPG based on his ability to rebound, have shooting range and being around 70 to 75% from the FT line.

Keep in mind Yeboah was around 10PPG in 24 minutes a game....Hyatt will land in the same spot in those minutes.

I believe that Paul will step it up this year. He has for 2 years set up other players and took a back seat. I could be wrong but I think he will become more assertive and will score about 10 points per game. He is already showing many leadership qualities and he will be more confident in taking a bigger role.

He can't step up too much. Of these 6 key areas/skills he only does one really well....He is a good passer!

Foul Shots
Shoot
Pass
Rebound
Defend
Dribble penetrate and finish or draw fouls

Last edited:
I think Hyatt plays the Yeboah role for us. Akwasi wasn't any taller than 6'6" and Hyatt seems, to me, more Yeboah than Mathis.

I see a 9 man rotation something like (if Geo and Harper return):

Mulcahy
Geo
Harper
Hyatt
Cliff

McConnell
Jones
Mag
Portal big to back up Cliff
Palmquist/Miller/Rieber playing OOC minutes to see if one or more can add depth and/or grab minutes in case of injury

I'll always look back with fondness at Montez' career here, but looking at the above one can see why he elected to transfer. He could have very easily found himself in a similar spot in the rotation as he was towards the end of '20-'21.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: hughthompson

4.4 RPG

70% from FT Line

29 Minutes per game

PPG

OR

10-35 from 3...(28.6%)

70% FT shooter

3.1 RPG

16 minutes a game.

4.2 PPG
If teams are equal and competition was equal. I’d think a guy playing 29 MPG would be better than a guy only getting 16 MPG

RUtghoops.
Lineup is so easy to defend and can’t score nearly enough.

Disagree. Should they return Geo and Harper will be two of the top 15 scorers in the B1G next season. And (imo) will find themselves on one of the three All-B1G teams. They are two of the top fifteen players in the conference if they come back (which is why I think they will). I think next years team will be on par offensively with the '19-'20 team and '20-'21 team. Time will tell.

Geo
X
Hyatt
Harper
Cliff

X needs to be between Ron and Geo in scoring ability. X may have flaws in his game but he can take and make shots

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT