ADVERTISEMENT

B1G coaches want conference to act regarding sign stealing

here is the thing- this has gotten way too much attention for both the NCAA and the B1G. It has been mentioned by a team they also faced in the playoffs last year. seems that the other golden child, OSU isn't too happy about it either. Now, the dude is almost certainly found on CMU's sideline. If something comes down after the playoffs and Michigan was in them or even wins them- then it looks even worse then banning them now.

BTW- I half agree with Plum. I do think Greg was talking the plays when he started his HT comment and then realized what he was doing and you could hear his voice change a little and then he just made it about the obvious to everyone- the refs.
Penalties- if they vacate wins- do to the nature of the offense- the losses for the other teams should also either be vacated, not changed to a win but for example- we should become 6-1
They should get a 2 year post season ban and lose a handful of scholarships.
Good post. But half agree ? Seems like you fully agree .

It’s going to be absurd having them play in the BIG title game and then the CFP. This is a lot different than Reggie bush and cam Newton getting paid. This provided schematic advantages.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Greg Schiano is a cautious smooth operator. I think there is very little chance that he would be out front accusing Michigan on national TV, before the investigation broke. That's not his MO. And it seemed obvious at the time that he was talking about the officiating which was abhorrent.

So, Plum credibility shot to pieces! (Imaginary) Legend status gone. 😁
So yeah schiano admitted to saying the “officials sucked.” He is smooth enough to not say that either.

Something may go down, but I’d be shocked if anything substantive or lasting happens. If CFB restored those vacated psu wins while the program allowed child rape, why would anyone expect anything real will happen here?

But, why in the world are we still talking about “rules”? Has anyone here actually paid attention to the money college sports at all over the past 100 years? Rules are for rubes. They are a façade. They are marketing. Any rule that gets in the way of the machine is tossed aside like a uconn lineman, lol.

And why in the world are we talking about the “NCAA”? There is no “NCAA”. There is only the cabal of power schools that make the money and the ”rules” and call the shots. Of which Michigan is a pretty big part.

As far as the B1G conference - it‘s just a microcosm of the “NCAA”. The B1G is 2 teams - UM and OSU. If the hammer comes down, it won’t be because of all the other pee-ons whining in a zoom call. They have no say.

Bottom line, if UM gets dinged, it’s because it’s good for business for the big guys. IMHO, it’s all is OSU‘s hands. And for all their hatred, the powers that be KNOW this rivalry still stirs the drink. Either way, it will be fascinating to watch….

Reactions: Plum Street
What some don’t realize is this was not a one man show. Stallions was the front man , but what he did wouldn’t matter unless he passed on the information to the staff to use on game day. Then it wouldn’t matter unless the information was passed onto the players on the field. So essentially the whole team players and coaches knew they were cheating. So it is hard to feel sorry for anyone associated with Michigan football. And yes a few plays can change the whole results. For example change 4 plays in our game against Wisconsin and we win. Michigan cheated and needs to be penalized.

if in helmet comms are banned to level the field in terms of costs, allowing budgets for sign stealing expenses at dozens of games breaks the spirit of that goal.

At the end of the day of the day the game still has to get played, with or without sign knowledge.

Maybe the penalty should be loss of home field advantage for a season.
Agree that wealthy programs clearly have an advantage if they actually have an espionage budget. I guess being dominated by Urban Meyer made Harbaugh realize he needed a spy program at UM.
Can’t believe their loss to App St was 16 years ago already.

I would agree that consciously "fibbing" about something that could only hurt/create drama does not make someone a Liar..... It makes them intelligent. I am with @Plum Street on this. Even after he said it was only about the officials, i thought to myself, " Sure Schiano". But i did not consider him a liar.

Michigan should be banned from the BIG title game and any bowl game. Pretty simple .

Michigan and Ohio State will be the game of the year in all of college football. If Michigan beats Ohio State they become #1. The Big Ten (and Fox) won't do anything before this season is over.

Michigan and Ohio State will be the game of the year in all of college football. If Michigan beats Ohio State they become #1. The Big Ten (and Fox) won't do anything before this season is over.
You’re probably right.
Fox is gonna have a say in this .
If we win out , we got a shot here to be Indy. Would need Michigan to beat Ohio state and have the BIG impose a wolverines ban for the title game .

Something may go down, but I’d be shocked if anything substantive or lasting happens. If CFB restored those vacated psu wins while the program allowed child rape, why would anyone expect anything real will happen here?

But, why in the world are we still talking about “rules”? Has anyone here actually paid attention to the money college sports at all over the past 100 years? Rules are for rubes. They are a façade. They are marketing. Any rule that gets in the way of the machine is tossed aside like a uconn lineman, lol.

And why in the world are we talking about the “NCAA”? There is no “NCAA”. There is only the cabal of power schools that make the money and the ”rules” and call the shots. Of which Michigan is a pretty big part.

As far as the B1G conference - it‘s just a microcosm of the “NCAA”. The B1G is 2 teams - UM and OSU. If the hammer comes down, it won’t be because of all the other pee-ons whining in a zoom call. They have no say.

Bottom line, if UM gets dinged, it’s because it’s good for business for the big guys. IMHO, it’s all is OSU‘s hands. And for all their hatred, the powers that be KNOW this rivalry still stirs the drink. Either way, it will be fascinating to watch….
Truth

You’re probably right.
Fox is gonna have a say in this .
If we win out , we got a shot here to be Indy. Would need Michigan to beat Ohio state and have the BIG impose a wolverines ban for the title game .
Rutgers is still at least one superstar WR and a superstar TE away from being anyone’s pick at BIG HQ to supplant UM in the title game.

• Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95
Michigan should be banned from the BIG title game and any bowl game. Pretty simple .

I don’t think that’s enough at all and doesn’t reconcile for all the games they tainted and cheated on. Forfeit or vacate wins. Adjust the records of all teams involved for this season and for historical records sake.

give it a week and something 'big will be found' on another school to deflect from the #2 team with a coach who still hasn't gotten hit with ncaa action from the self imposed 4 game suspension in addition to this! watch

Rutgers is still at least one superstar WR and a superstar TE away from being anyone’s pick at BIG HQ to supplant UM in the title game.
Al I have you blocked. please don't make me block your new acct too

Agree bans and forfeits are meaningless and hurt the conference. They should certainly withhold any post season $ and distribute it to the rest of the conference.

I also like the no home games or no fans next year or neutral site like Detroit - they make soccer teams in Europe do that for fan behavior.

Reactions: redking
He’s not right . Schiano wasn’t talking about the officials . If you believe he was, I got a bridge to sell you .

Let's take a moment and humor this .
It looks incredibly bad for HC Schiano and could even see a reason to reevaluate his employment.

If he knew coming into the game that Michigan had a sophisticated sign stealing apparatus:
  1. Why would he not change the signs?
  2. This is a willful ignorance and put his team in a severe disadvantage
  3. It's basic reasoning to assume signs were compromised and change them
  4. Even if they don't change them weekly (which seems dumb not to do), going into a game against a known sign stealing team would REQUIRE mitigation efforts
If HC Schiano didn't know in advance but only suspected it at halftime:
  1. Did he make any changes to negate the stolen signs?
  2. If not, why?
  3. If so, we were still outscored 17-0 in the 2nd half
  4. The infamous Pick-6 that people keep referencing occurred after the sign stealing would be suspected by HC Schiano
  5. If HC Schiano knew about the sign stealing but didn't change and it did lead to the Pick 6 then HC Schiano needs to seriously have his employment questioned.
  6. I would have to assume every team has a contingency plan when during a game they realize "the other team might have our signs. move to plan B".

So sure. Maybe you are right. And if you are, then HC Schiano might be one of the worst coaches in the country.
Still want to double-down that he knew at halftime?

Agree with this. If Michigan loses at some point then the process will magically speed up with some tough looking penalty.

Reactions: Plum Street
It looks incredibly bad for HC Schiano and could even see a reason to reevaluate his employment.

If he knew coming into the game that Michigan had a sophisticated sign stealing apparatus:
  4. Even if they don't change them weekly (which seems dumb not to do), going into a game against a known sign stealing team would REQUIRE mitigation efforts
  2. If not, why?
  4. The infamous Pick-6 that people keep referencing occurred after the sign stealing would be suspected by HC Schiano
  5. If HC Schiano knew about the sign stealing but didn't change and it did lead to the Pick 6 then HC Schiano needs to seriously have his employment questioned.
  6. I would have to assume every team has a contingency plan when during a game they realize "the other team might have our signs. move to plan B".

So sure. Maybe you are right. And if you are, then HC Schiano might be one of the worst coaches in the country.
Parks And Recreation Mic Drop GIF

2. If not, why?

If he didn’t know it was happening , that would make it even worse. Pretty much every other program knew , and you think schiano didn’t !??

Vacating wins is meaningless. If that’s the penalty, the infraction is a perfectly good ploy.

2. If not, why?

well said and agree

2. If not, why?

foolish stuff.. right from the top you say "If he knew coming into the game.."

There is nothing about him thinking something odd was going on in the first half that would indicate he had any foreknowledge "that Michigan had a sophisticated sign stealing apparatus".

Given that.. anything else you said loses all relevance.

Also.. if there were some guaranteed sign-system that is not vulnerable at all, everyone would be using that system and no sign-stealing operation would matter. So even if Schiano had changed signs at halftime.. and had a system in place that could make that possible.. there is no guarantee that Michigan's sign-stealing operation would fail.. because coaches would assume that the signs were stolen through the typical "legal" methods apparent during that game or seen in the game tapes that Michigan had requested in the game film exchange.

I am not arguing that Schiano was hinting at cheating in that halftime interview.. just saying this counter-argument fails at face value.

Last edited:
Reactions: bethlehemfan
He’s not right . Schiano wasn’t talking about the officials . If you believe he was, I got a bridge to sell you .
Both sides of this "debate" are selling nonexistent bridges.

Fairy Tale Seller 1: I have this bridge to sell you, but I can't show it to you, you can't visit it or find it or prove it exists. That'll be $1B please. Cash.
Fairy Tale Seller 2: I have this alternative bridge to sell you. Mine's better 'cause I say so. Same visitation rules apply. Same price. Cash.

Moronic Buyer: Obviously, ________________ is the better deal.

Why do people engage in these purely speculative, entirely unprovable, conclusion-leaping contests? Nobody but Schiano knows and he's not telling.

2. If not, why?

So…you are saying to change all your signals at halftime 😳

2. If not, why?

Seriously? You have 20 minutes at halftime to get your team in the locker room, talk to them, then get them back out. There's no way you can change the signs at that point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT