ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY 3/11: NCAA TOURNAMENT ANALYSIS

Marquette going to win. As good as Nova might be, there would be a riot if they got in at 3 games over .500.

Florida survives

Colorado up by a fg over Utah at half

New Mexico up 7 over Boise in 1st half ready to add to bubble mayhem

Nova had no business getting in. Sorry lost to Penn and Drexel. So think about this. N o Cuse, UCLA or Nova in tourney,

Don't know how Sr John's is considered ahead of Pc. St John's has 3 win over teams in the field right now. Four if you count us. With Villanova now out that takes a lot of starch out of their resume. PC has six wins over teams in field if you count St John's. Also Utah falling off a cliff hurts them also.

Last edited:
WAC is also in Vegas, and the Big West is out there in a suburb of Vegas (and the WCC was there too)...guess it's ntHot a bad place to be to catch some live Championship week action.

It’s not . Been there a few times for it . Am underrated week out there
I think the league is just lacking.....not a fan of 10-12 teams being able to beat one another

even the ACC tourney has done better this year. Lets go back to 18 games
Is it just me or do all the b1g teams just seem slow.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Indy was ok. I was there 2 years ago when we were the 4 seed and lost to Iowa.
Agree on Minny / Detroit. Awful locations etc.
I was at Barclays for several ACC tournaments and it was fine.
Vegas would be a lot of fun !
And with the pac defunct the t mobile center has an opening.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Is it just me or do all the b1g teams just seem slow.
Has been that way seemingly forever. Generally physical, big and slow. I think the style of play in the B1G hurts these teams in the NCAA tournament. I wish the league would go to 18 games, or even 16, to allow more inter league completion later in the season but it won’t happen. It’s kind of amazing that the B1G hasn’t won the tournament since the 2000 Michigan State team. Although I think Illinois could do well on the tournament, the only legit shot at a title this year is Purdue, who has choked the last two seasons and you can’t get much bigger or slower than Purdue.

Last edited:
to wrap up last night

Colorado ends Utah's hopes will strengthening theirs

New Mexico wins at Boise State and with their metrics going to be tough to not select them

Lot of work to do

Reactions: fatsam98
Don't know how Sr John's is considered ahead of Pc. St John's has 3 win over teams in the field right now. Four if you count us. With Villanova now out that takes a lot of starch out of their resume. PC has six wins over teams in field if you count St John's. Also Utah falling off a cliff hurts them also.

The sub 500 mark in q123..10-12 will be 10-13 with next loss...3 games under 500

None of these schools including St Johns PC and SHU are locks

Non bracketologists have been declaring teams locks right and left the last few days..but how great is this players voice..

Do you think the wins by st John's or PC matter a great deal or was their fate already determined by the committee prior to the conf tourneys. If the committee is not counting tournament wins all that much then these teams were either in or out prior to the start if the week.

Do you think the wins by st John's or PC matter a great deal or was their fate already determined by the committee prior to the conf tourneys. If the committee is not counting tournament wins all that much then these teams were either in or out prior to the start if the week.
I don't think it's whether they win or lose in the tournament. It's adding that one more q1/q2 win or loss to the resumes which push teams one way or the other.

definitely something to consider...every year bracketologists and tv pundits put too much emphasis on conference tourney performance for selection and seeding. Its an easy trap to fall into and everyone is guilty including me. Yet everyone forgets the next year and the committee last year showed it that field was likely locked up mostly before Friday

Now this year is different, the bubble is much stronger. There were a large grouping of teams very close and early tourney action definitely is considered in those cases. The striking thing is the bubble is winning and usually it does not happen. Its making it very difficult to seperate the schools St Johns win over Seton Hall was only a win vs a team barely in the field. Providence got a win over a 3 seed. Virginia went to overtime to beat mediocrity yet they may already be baked into the field. Providence may have been determined to be out of the field and remember there is an injury there despite yesterdays win.

I think St Johns would do themselves well to beat UConn. Ditto for Providence over Marquette. Is it too late, maybe, but its better to be playing than not.

bubble or seeding impact games today.....

Michigan State/Purdue.....Sparty seems safe but seeding could be all over the place

East Carolina/South Florida.....Bulls are projected AAC AQ but their at large chances are slim so another at large spot could potentially open

Mississippi State/Tennessee.....MSU is not safe, tough to expect them to win today but crucial to pass the eye test.

Wisconsin/Northwestern.....Badgers still have potential to get a 5 though 6 seems more appropriate. Wildcats seem destined for 8-9 line

St John's/Connecticut.....Redmen would make it academic with a win, without it though Ricky will be sweating through his white suit

Ohio State/Illinois.....zombie resume and again I just think they were too far back in the pack entering conference tourney play to make a difference

Pittsburgh/North Carolina.....Panthers hit the committee checkbox for quality road wins but giving a bid with that 344 OOC SOS would be historic, need to win today

Texas A&M/Kentucky.....this morning woke up with 5 Q3 losses and not being helped by the rest of the bubble winning. Aggies need to win today.

North Texas/FAU.....Owls are safe but seeding could fall if they do not reach the AAC finals

Providence/Marquette.....Friars are just 10-12 in Q1/2/3 so despite the big win last night, I would recommend they win tonight

Oregon/Arizona.....bid stealer Ducks have little at large chance so they need to win this one

Indiana/Nebraska.....Huskers are safe but a loss could put them closer to those last 4 games

North Carolina State.....potential bid stealer Wolfpack even with the win over Duke have no at large hope while UVA wobbles along but its resume hits certain things the committee covets but a win here would lock them in

Colorado/Washington State....with only one win vs the field, Buffs would do themselves well to win this one. Wa State needs this to keep hopes of a 6 seed and avoid 8/9

Colorado State/New Mexico.....amazing NET at 23 and another quad 1 win would make it very difficult for the committee to leave out.

Well done. It’s pretty wild with so many teams doing what they had to do and still think they are getting in. Heartbreaks going to happen.

I am trying to work on my last team in heading into today and its incredibly difficult

TEXAS A&M
PITT
PROVIDENCE
NEW MEXIC0
SAINT JOHNS

all 5 schools have major flaw that seems different from each other and strengths that are different from each other

A&M has 5 Q3 losses but 12-8 in Q1 is better than just about any school not a top 3 seed
Pitt has non conference sos of 344 but has 5 road wins in Q1/2
Providence is just 10-12 in Q1/2/3 and unless they win today will be 3 games below 500 in that catagory but has 6 Q1 wins and 6 wins vs teams in the field
New Mexico has a SOR of 63, a Q4 loss, just one quality road win but possibly 7 wins vs the field and a net of 23
Saint John's is a fine 10-11 in Q1/2 and is clearly passing an eye test but perhaps only 2 wins vs the field

bubble or seeding impact games today.....

Michigan State/Purdue.....Sparty seems safe but seeding could be all over the place

East Carolina/South Florida.....Bulls are projected AAC AQ but their at large chances are slim so another at large spot could potentially open

Mississippi State/Tennessee.....MSU is not safe, tough to expect them to win today but crucial to pass the eye test.

Wisconsin/Northwestern.....Badgers still have potential to get a 5 though 6 seems more appropriate. Wildcats seem destined for 8-9 line

St John's/Connecticut.....Redmen would make it academic with a win, without it though Ricky will be sweating through his white suit

Ohio State/Illinois.....zombie resume and again I just think they were too far back in the pack entering conference tourney play to make a difference

Pittsburgh/North Carolina.....Panthers hit the committee checkbox for quality road wins but giving a bid with that 344 OOC SOS would be historic, need to win today

Texas A&M/Kentucky.....this morning woke up with 5 Q3 losses and not being helped by the rest of the bubble winning. Aggies need to win today.

North Texas/FAU.....Owls are safe but seeding could fall if they do not reach the AAC finals

Providence/Marquette.....Friars are just 10-12 in Q1/2/3 so despite the big win last night, I would recommend they win tonight

Oregon/Arizona.....bid stealer Ducks have little at large chance so they need to win this one

Indiana/Nebraska.....Huskers are safe but a loss could put them closer to those last 4 games

North Carolina State.....potential bid stealer Wolfpack even with the win over Duke have no at large hope while UVA wobbles along but its resume hits certain things the committee covets but a win here would lock them in

Colorado/Washington State....with only one win vs the field, Buffs would do themselves well to win this one. Wa State needs this to keep hopes of a 6 seed and avoid 8/9

Colorado State/New Mexico.....amazing NET at 23 and another quad 1 win would make it very difficult for the committee to leave out.
Pitino sweating thru his white suit. 😂

Lets go with this for now......some teams look good when compared to one team but when you compare in groups things can be different

LAST FOUR BYES: MICHIGAN STATE, MISSISSIPPI STATE, OKLAHOMA, SETON HALL

LAST FOUR IN: TEXAS A&M, PROVIDENCE, COLORADO, VIRGINIA

FIRST FOUR OUT: PITTSBURGH, NEW MEXICO, SAINT JOHNS, INDIANA STATE

NEXT FOUR OUT: OHIO STATE, WAKE FOREST, VILLANOVA, KANSAS STATE

SOME CONSIDERATION: IOWA, CINCINNATI, UTAH, OREGON, MEMPHIS, NORTH CAROLINA STATE, VIRGINIA TECH, RICHMOND

Last edited:
Pitino sweating thru his white suit. 😂
I am less confident on them than yesterday

they had a good win yesterday over Seton Hall but bottom line was it was over a team currently seeded 10th. New Mexico got a win over a 8 seed in Boise State. Providence got a win over a 3 seed in Creighton.

plus a closer look at Pitt is showing that road mark is very very good and the selection committee LOVES that

tough balance because its clear St Johns passes the eye test compared to Virginia but will that influence anything, that isnt criteria and the Johnnies fall short in a few resume catagories

Providence get the edge for now but one more loss puts them at 10-13 so they could be bounced tomorrow.

Both need to win today.

I am less confident on them than yesterday

they had a good win yesterday over Seton Hall but bottom line was it was over a team currently seeded 10th. New Mexico got a win over a 8 seed in Boise State. Providence got a win over a 3 seed in Creighton.

plus a closer look at Pitt is showing that road mark is very very good and the selection committee LOVES that

tough balance because its clear St Johns passes the eye test compared to Virginia but will that influence anything, that isnt criteria and the Johnnies fall short in a few resume catagories

Providence get the edge for now but one more loss puts them at 10-13 so they could be bounced tomorrow.

Both need to win today.
Hey Bac, it feels like a lot of recent brackets have dropped the Hall but kept Oklahoma safely in. What do you think accounts for this divergence? Could people be overestimating Oklahoma's chances to stay in?

Seton Hall may be a 10 right now but when the dust settles they are very very likely to be in the first four games because of the NET which will ding seeding. I will not even say SHU is a lock yet, I have seen a couple of guys bump them out today. What if Providence and St Johns both win today. I dont think all 7 are making it. SHU certainly has those great wins but the flaws reside with their non conference stuff which shows Missouri as their best win and even a Q3 loss to RU. Some say the committee might say well they beat UConn when a couple of guys were hurt for UConn, I do not think that but some are trying to diminish it. Everyone locked them in after the Nova win but the Nova win has lost almost all its luster today.

I dont like Oklahomas resume....4-12 vs Q1 to me shows that they lose alot...they have no loss outside Q1 though so that itself is noteworthy. I do not like they have only 2 wins vs teams in field...3 if you include PC, Their strength of record is 32 and that sways me that they are going to get in. Very good results based number and they have an overall sos of 18. Probably just enough to make it

Seton Hall may be a 10 right now but when the dust settles they are very very likely to be in the first four games because of the NET which will ding seeding. I will not even say SHU is a lock yet, I have seen a couple of guys bump them out today. What if Providence and St Johns both win today. I dont think all 7 are making it. SHU certainly has those great wins but the flaws reside with their non conference stuff which shows Missouri as their best win and even a Q3 loss to RU. Some say the committee might say well they beat UConn when a couple of guys were hurt for UConn, I do not think that but some are trying to diminish it. Everyone locked them in after the Nova win but the Nova win has lost almost all its luster today.

I dont like Oklahomas resume....4-12 vs Q1 to me shows that they lose alot...they have no loss outside Q1 though so that itself is noteworthy. I do not like they have only 2 wins vs teams in field...3 if you include PC, Their strength of record is 32 and that sways me that they are going to get in. Very good results based number and they have an overall sos of 18. Probably just enough to make it
I didn't realize Oklahoma literally had no non-Q1 losses.

Makes me agree with Clemson's coach. I think NET itself isn't supposed to be used to analyze a team (to do so would be tantamount to rewarding shooting percentage and margin of victory), but it can easily be gamed on the conference level.

If a conference basically collectively decides to all schedule light and beat up on teams, then every win or loss is a Q1 or Q2 win lol. Although I can't really tell how much more the Big 12 does or can do this relative to other power conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT