ADVERTISEMENT

Battle on the Banks (1/2/21)

Do you have to be on Twitter to get this because I am not a Twitter person

Anyone watching the youth undercard at 3?

Last edited:
Ok here are the RU results(from memory did not write down any results)
Benner vs Cleary-Cleary won 12-8
Van Brill vs LaRue- 10-0 tech for Van Brill. Van Brill looked good, he over matched LaRue
Colucci vs Laird-it was a typical Hwt match-1-1 and Colucci was ahead on criteria and Laird hit a nice low shot to score with about 10 seconds left.
Kanniard vs Tolbert-Kanniard with the tech(maybe 14-4) looked solid
Shawver vs Miller-Miller won think 7-4
Grello vs Perez-Perez won 8-6
Poz vs CJ Brucki-Brucki won by tech 12-2. Poz got first takedown and got in on a few good shots but tuff finishing on Brucki. I have been very high on Poz and this match did not change my mind at all. Brucki has man strength(graduated 2 years ago). Poz true frosh
Janzer vs Hale-Janzer wins by tech 10-0. Janzer is a full sized 97lber
Britton vs Colaiocco-not sure what happened to Alvarez but Britton lost by tech 10-0
Rivera vs Mack Rivera with the tech, close after one but he wore Mack down.

Grades on today's bouts by our guys. What do others think?

Brenner - D
Van Brill - B+
Colucci - C
Kinnard - B+
Shaver - C+
Grello - B-
Pozanski - C+
Janzer - B+
Begakov - A
Rivera - A
Britton - Great Effort stepping in for Alvarez

"Britton - Great Effort stepping in for Alvarez " Why not Alverez?
Did O'Neill not wrestle?

Racpack: Man, you slaughtered those names.

Van Brill did better than I expected. Maybe he found his weight?
Colucci... last ten seconds. Seems I've heard that one many times before. What has happened to all the Vanilla Gorilla hype?
I'm still hoping Turley can successfully challenge Grello.
I never expected Poznanski to beat someone of Brucki caliber but still very positive on Poz.
Who is Begakov?
Please don't tell me Sammy is injured.

Grades on today's bouts by our guys. What do others think?

Brenner - D-yea agree but Benner is a room guy, will not be a starter here so not worried

Van Brill - B+-fair grade, Van Brill was better and expected the win...liked his leg attacks

Colucci - C- Colucci is a solid Hwt hope he qualifies...

Kinnard - B+ thought he looked good..fair grade

Shaver - C+-Miller from Blair at Penn...those Blair kids are very solid freestylers

Grello - B--I would go C for Grello, Perez was a 13 seed at 165 last season and Grello is training full time in the RU room. This is someone he should beat.

Pozanski - C+-tuff grade. See my response above Man Strength vs true frosh

Janzer - B+--agree same, see my above comments

Begakov - A--he should beat Lizak, more concerned with RU wrestlers

Rivera - A-agree looks like a thick 141lber

Britton - Great Effort stepping in for Alvarez- This one has me a little worried. As I have posted a few times, Sammy too me looks huge. I hope this was not WEIGHT issues. I guess we will see if he weighs in at 133 Friday night.

I was pleased with the performances by Kanniard and MVB. Great offense by both wrestlers. Looking forward to seeing Kanniard next week. Janzer with his typical under hooks and leg trips as he dominates in his win. Rivera is just 💯 for six straight minutes. Can’t wait to see him in March once he’s at full tilt. Poz gave everything vs CJ Brucki. Kid is gonna improve every week at this level.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
As for Grello I won’t kill him as he gave up some of those BS freestyle exposures after getting in a few deep shots. It’s those silly back turns that I find frustrating about freestyle. With that said, if he has any hope of getting to the blood round this year he needs to finish more shots against guys like Perez.

Kamal Begakov is one of our RTC guys from one of the “stans”. Nice guy and great training partner

I agree while Grello didn't look great, he would have been in a much better position in a folkstyle match. With that being said, Perez isn't a slouch as he was a 3x NQ who won over 100 matches in college.

Kanniard, MVB, Janzer, and SeaBass all looked very good as expected/hoped. Janzer continues to impress me more and more every time he wrestles. Excited to see him continue to grow over the next 3 years.

Hard to take much from the Poz match other than he looked good early but he isn't on the same level as someone like Brucki, especially at Freestyle. That's his livelyhood and his bread & butter. He is a grown man in his prime who is technically superior and it showed.

Not much action from Colucci. Looks like he simply ran out of gas trying to hold onto a tiny lead while being extremely defensive. That tends too happen way too often to some of these guys when they are simply clock watching and not really trying to wrestle.

Britton was completely outclassed and didnt stand a chance but that was as expected against someone as elite as Colacicco. Hope nothing is wrong with Sammy though and his late withdrawal was merely precautionary.

Shawver is always so close in these freestyle matches but can never pull them out. Obviously has talent but those Blair guys are always tough.

Last edited:
Overall it was still a solid card and production even with all of the withdrawals and late replacements. Hopefully it's a regular thing as it will only help raise awareness of the SKWC and RU Wrestling.

It will certainly help with recruiting and whatnot as well as it's another avenue to promote our wrestlers and get them additional exposure... especially with the young guys on the undercards who grow up and become extremely familiar with our coaches, team, and prominent alum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT