ADVERTISEMENT

BC and Cuse?

Anyone else enjoying not seeing either of these programs mentioned in any significant move to a top conference?
Maybe they will be reunited with UCONN and Temple. :WooHoo:
It's not just that they screwed us and the Big East, it was how entitled and obnoxious their fans were throughout the whole process. They left us for dead at the side of the road. No sympathy for them.

It's not just that they screwed us and the Big East, it was how entitled and obnoxious their fans were throughout the whole process. They left us for dead at the side of the road. No sympathy for them.
The common term for the remainder of the big east was
"The leave behinds"
Not necessarily a derogative term, still rubbed me the wrong way

Anyone else enjoying not seeing either of these programs mentioned in any significant move to a top conference?

Uh-oh, now you're gonna get the whole cadre decrying why you're bringing up teams we no longer play.

But not me!

In answer to your question, I revel in the fact that not only have they become irrelevant but that they're now stuck in a second rate conference that was responsible (along with ESPN) for gutting the original Big East.

As Fats would say:

I don’t even feel bad for BC because they have no fans. Just turn the lights off.

Cuse may not have a big following, but at least some people care.
Just did a quick google. BC averaged 36,376 per home game in 2023…to Sewer’s 34,000.

Even less people care about Sewercuse haha! They are literally a shitshow!

Boston College and Syracuse hate is misguided because Rutgers, while having the benefits of taxpayer funding and B1G membership, is not immune from the geography and culture challenges facing other Northeast college football programs.

A lot of teams outside of power 4 conferences are getting attention in the 2024 coaches' poll. Don't need to be in power 4. Getting votes in 2024 poll:

Notre Dame
Boise State
Memphis
UNLV
UCF (Edit: UCF football entered Big 12 last season)
UTSA
Tulane
Appalachian State
Texas State
Troy
Air Force
James Madison
Miami OH

Last year, 10 teams in conferences not part of power 4 conferences got votes in the final poll. Syracuse, Boston College, and - yes - Rutgers suffer from college football geography, a reality that is difficult to overcome. People in the Northeast just don't care about college football like people in other US regions. This helps explain why Alabama and Mississippi combined have a lower population than each New Jersey, New York City, and greater Boston yet put 5 teams in 2023 and 2024 polls, versus zero for NJ, NYC, and Boston areas.

Rutgers received no votes in last year's final poll, and no votes again in the 2024 pre-season poll. To be clear, my view is 6.5 win odds will be exceeded. I see 7 wins this year. Last year I thought 5 and Rutgers got 7, so maybe I need to be more optimistic in 2024.

* Post edited to state UCF football entered Big 12 last season

Last edited:
Boston College and Syracuse hate is misguided because Rutgers, while having the benefits of taxpayer funding and B1G membership, is not immune from the geography and culture challenges facing other Northeast college football programs.

A lot of teams outside of power 4 conferences are getting attention in the 2024 coaches' poll. Don't need to be in power 4. Getting votes in 2024 poll:

Notre Dame
Boise State
Memphis
UNLV
UCF
UTSA
Tulane
Appalachian State
Texas State
Troy
Air Force
James Madison
Miami OH

Last year, 10 teams in conferences not part of power 4 conferences got votes in the final poll. Syracuse, Boston College, and - yes - Rutgers suffer from college football geography, a reality that is difficult to overcome. People in the Northeast just don't care about college football like people in other US regions. This helps explain why Alabama and Mississippi combined have a lower population than each New Jersey, New York City, and greater Boston yet put 5 teams in 2023 and 2024 polls, versus zero for NJ, NYC, and Boston areas.

Rutgers received no votes in last year's final poll, and no votes again in the 2024 pre-season poll. To be clear, my view is 6.5 win odds will be exceeded. I see 7 wins this year. Last year I thought 5 and Rutgers got 7, so maybe I need to be more optimistic in 2024.
Well, I’ll never get those 30 seconds back.

BC is dead in the water …. However, Cuse will be saved by Mike Tirico who will lead a TV boycott and the TV world will bow down and force a power 4 conference to invite them😃😃
That’s still the funniest thing I have ever read from them.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Well, I’ll never get those 30 seconds back.
Season 1 Episode 6 GIF by Friends

Notre Dame
Boise State
Memphis
UCF
I stopped reading here. UCF was in the Big 12 last year.

Reactions: TRU2RU
And Tirico had the nuts to mention Rutgers in his piece and how he feels sewercuse is a better fit for the Big Ten than Rutgers:
Tirico thinks Syracuse’s foothold in the Northeast would be an attractive asset:

“I also think it would be incredibly short-sighted for college athletics as it grows going forward to not have a significant footprint in the Northeast from a population and media standpoint,” Tirico said. “I think that Syracuse is the best option. I’m not blind to Rutgers’ presence, but I think Syracuse is a better option and historically has been and has a better sports brand.”

Frankly, he's full of shit and is worried about Rutgers' rise to prominence at the cost to sewercuse. Better brand yea 30 years ago. Better footprint??? He's been smoking some good stuff.

And Tirico had the nuts to mention Rutgers in his piece and how he feels sewercuse is a better fit for the Big Ten than Rutgers:
Tirico thinks Syracuse’s foothold in the Northeast would be an attractive asset:

“I also think it would be incredibly short-sighted for college athletics as it grows going forward to not have a significant footprint in the Northeast from a population and media standpoint,” Tirico said. “I think that Syracuse is the best option. I’m not blind to Rutgers’ presence, but I think Syracuse is a better option and historically has been and has a better sports brand.”

Frankly, he's full of shit and is worried about Rutgers' rise to prominence at the cost to sewercuse. Better brand yea 30 years ago. Better footprint??? He's been smoking some good stuff.
No surprise coming from him considering he and his wife graduated approximately 36 years ago from Syracuse. His wife even played hoops there. Hardly an impartial opinion from Mikie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Local Shill

Syracuse fans always overstated their impact in NYC because they drew very well for the Big East basketball tournament during a stretch where their fans were basically guaranteed they would make it to the weekend.

That fan interest wasn’t scalable at all beyond the 5000 people who showed up in NYC in March.

It was like arguing that the Honduran culture dominates North Jersey because 30,000 Honduran soccer fans show up every time their national team plays at MetLife.

If that was even remotely true the Big 10 would’ve invited them, not us back in 2012.

Let's have a population comparison for 50 miles from New Brunswick and 50 miles from Syracuse and see who's the better current and future option. Not when Jim Brown and Ernie Davis were playing.

I can't stand Syracuse as much as the next guy but until we start having numerous Winning Seasons, Their History and results just squash us...We pump our chests because were in B1G but we need to start putting up some results. Syracuse has had a #1 Ranking at seasons end, played in numerous New Years Day Bowls and 2 Heisman Trophy winners...We beat Louisville one year

No surprise coming from him considering he and his wife graduated approximately 36 years ago from Syracuse. His wife even played hoops there. Hardly an impartial opinion from Mikie.

Tirico is a clown.

I can't stand Syracuse as much as the next guy but until we start having numerous Winning Seasons, Their History and results just squash us...We pump our chests because we’re in B1G but we need to start putting up some results. Syracuse has had a #1 Ranking at seasons end, played in numerous New Years Day Bowls and 2 Heisman Trophy winners...We beat Louisville one year
Yes, but on our way out of the BE and into the Big 10, we beat them regularly. The tide had turned so there is no need for any RU fan self loathing on this one.

I can't stand Syracuse as much as the next guy but until we start having numerous Winning Seasons, Their History and results just squash us...We pump our chests because were in B1G but we need to start putting up some results. Syracuse has had a #1 Ranking at seasons end, played in numerous New Years Day Bowls and 2 Heisman Trophy winners...We beat Louisville one year
No one alive cares what Sadexcuse did in 1959!!!

We’ve also beaten Sewer in football 7 out of the last 10 times we’ve played them! So there’s that.

I’m not really enjoying it, but I’m not hating it either.

I’m fairly indifferent, as both of those programs are out of sight, out of mind.

Neither will contend for anything significant in any of our lifetimes, and both are fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, far in our rearview mirror, and will have no impact on us reaching the potential elite level that we’re trying to get to

I can't stand Syracuse as much as the next guy but until we start having numerous Winning Seasons, Their History and results just squash us...We pump our chests because we’re in B1G but we need to start putting up some results. Syracuse has had a #1 Ranking at seasons end, played in numerous New Years Day Bowls and 2 Heisman Trophy winners...We beat Louisville one year

Congratulations are in order for those who were alive long enough to remember Jim Brown playing football at Syracuse in a leather helmet.

Rutgers football and men's basketball have a long way to go to get to .500 against Syracuse and Boston College.

Rutgers versus:

Syracuse football 13-27-1 32.9%
Boston College football 7-20-1 26.8%
Syracuse basketball 5-11 31.3%
Boston College football 9-30 32.1%

Rutgers coaches need to show more scheduling fortitude and play these rivalry teams yearly on home-away basis. At lease BC comes to SHI in 2026. Based on the outlook of many TKR posters, these matchups would be easy Rutgers wins in the future.

Congratulations are in order for those who were alive long enough to remember Jim Brown playing football at Syracuse in a leather helmet.

What I loved was what the late Dick Schaap, a freshman Cornell goalie, recalled about playing against Cuse midfielder Jim Brown. "He took 6 shots. 4 went in and 2 missed the cage. I saw none of them."

What I loved was what the late Dick Schaap, a freshman Cornell goalie, recalled about playing against Cuse midfielder Jim Brown. "He took 6 shots. 4 went in and 2 missed the cage. I saw none of them."
Dick Schaap was one of the greats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT