ADVERTISEMENT

Beating washington would be BEYOND huge to start of the season and the Ash era...

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Guys

I can't think of any other way to reinforce the HARD work these guys are putting in and the way they are buying in to the new coaching staff than getting a hard earned win on the road against a legit level pac-12 team on the road in a hostile environment and big crowd.

And...let's be honest...we really need that win to get some buzz coming into a five out of six game homestand....where three of them are very very unlikely to expect a win at this point

Big difference in buzz being 3-0 leading to 3-3 than 2-1 leading into 2-4...especially with three winnable games thereafter

love to have the buzz of a Rutgers stadium at is 3-0 RU vs a top 15 Iows coming in...we need that buzz for all that we do...

Be huge to get that win on September 3rd in Washington!!!

Reactions: Peteyd
I agree but didn't some of our fans say this was impossible? LOL.

It will be a tough game for sure but I have seen much bigger upsets on the road by much less talented RU teams. Huzzah.

Yes and since we had such a good time in Seattle two years ago I'm going back for an awesome long weekend and another RU victory.

This is gonna be a tough game - UW was 7-6 last year, with 3 losses to ranked teams and 2 victories over ranked teams. And they played every game tough: their worse loss was to Stanford 31-14.

Fellas, I've been SAYING over and over again how DIFFICULT this SCHEDULE is.:boxing:

Sorry guys, but it's TRUE. We just need to temper our EXPECTATIONS for this year, OK there buddies! That said, I HOPE we go 15-0!! [banana][banana]

And if you don't wanna HEAR that, well just go a ahead and put ME on IGNORE, OK there buddy-chief-fella-guy? THANKS!!!
:beer::bomb::pimp::okay:

Reactions: RUchip and RUhobbit
Here is the beauty of the Washington game. No game film of the new offense and OH yes no game film of the Defense*
* now the D will not be much different (4-3) although we will be more aggressive as we will have some island corner play, where last year most were in jail.
But the O should have quite an advantage. As per our OC=> “Gio has some things we have to work out mechanically, but he’s got a lot of speed and things like that,” Mehringer said. “There are some things he can really, really help us with. "
I would not be at all surprised to see some QB change up with some special play calls.

Anything is possible...that's why teams bother to play each other. But expecting a win to any degree (as opposed to hoping for a win) is just foolhardy and setting yourself up for disappointment. This is a new everything team, headed by a first-time HC, traveling across the country to face a talent-rich and experienced team headed by a HC who is a proven winner.

Now, fail against Howard and we've got some serious problems.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Looking forward to this trip.
Airline Tickets bought and hotels booked, just need to see when RU puts up the Away Game tickets for Sale.

Reactions: Mike from MD
Tough team. Anything is possible if we can score some points and control the clock. Maybe draft up a few blitz schemes. Talent wise, we've always had a lot of talented players. Just look at the guys heading to the draft or have been drafted in the past. Our biggest problem in the past is that we haven't played as a complete team. Remember the UNC bowl game? We dominated on offense, defense, and special teams. Sure we're missing some talented players from that team, but we should be able to win games like that from time to time.

It is an extremely difficult game for us to win.

It would be considered a huge massive upset if Rutgers won.

Last edited:
we do have a tough schedule....no question

This is why getting this win is important

Washington is a good team...but they aren't OSU, Mich,St, Mich or Wisky either....they are eual to the mid level big ten teams we play week in and week out now.

Very good measuring stick game one...whatever the outcome

Winning would be a great start indeed but even playing a very competitive game will auger well because from what I remember from washington's bowl game last year the commentators were all saying that they expected Washington to be in the hunt for their division in the PAC 12 this year.

i'd like to get the win, but that is one tough place to play. if rettig starts, it should be a good game.

we do have a tough schedule....no question

This is why getting this win is important

Washington is a good team...but they aren't OSU, Mich,St, Mich or Wisky either....they are eual to the mid level big ten teams we play week in and week out now.

Very good measuring stick game one...whatever the outcome

They are very good, plus add to that the long travel and a big time difference. Add to that all new schemes for us on both sides of the ball and add to that lots of questions marks in key positions.

You can't downplay the above.

I would expect Rutgers to be a double digit dog. However, something about this team seems hungry. Combine that with excitement for a new regime, and no game film to scout us, it could be very interesting.

Inexperience at Linebacker will make this game tougher. Expect a heavy dose of the run game, but this will keep the score low. Which means we can steal it. And yes, I'm deeply concerned about the Kicking Game.

I took in a Washington/Oregon game there many years ago and remember people boating right up to the stadium which was very cool. This is a great venue to see the Ash era kick-off.

Laviano? Rettig? Don't be surprised if you see both, or even all three of them in some capacity in the game. The coaches are learning about the players just as the players are learn on the new system. Overall I expect this to be a better and closer game than many prognosticators will predict.

I favor Rettig but my post was stated tongue in cheek. Thus, this emoticon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:was used. It is up to the coaching staff to find the QB that gives the team the best chance to win.
With the surplus of emoticon usage and their placement, it was difficult to tell how that was intended.

Absolutely, Laviano cannot throw the deep ball accurately. And he's prone to turnovers. The PSU Game was Laviano in a Nut Shell.

Yo EL the first statement is a blatant LIE. He drops in the basket at 40 yeads a number of times this year. But I must disagree with Last statement it was a TEAM failure (very poor blocking and sloppy route running and bad hands) but Laviano did not give up 330 yards on the ground or 21 pts in the second quarter and the 5 sacks was no time by a bad blocking and a coaching misjudgment to leave him in late in the game, but by the mid 3rd quarter the mojo of RU had left the building for the entire team which falls on the coach.

I want to see this team come out with an inspired attitude. Take on the character of their coach and just smack Washington in the mouth.

Washington has question marks, just like Rutgers.
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/chris-petersen-on-washington-huskies-football/

1. Lost WR Mickens
2. Lost Taniela Tupou on DL.
3. New Center
4. Lost TE Joshua Perkins.

They did not lose a lot of players to graduation, but they have concerns at TE and WR (like us).

They're going to start the season ranked, regardless, and they're going to battle for the Pac-North title.

Going into Husky Stadium, for Game 1 of the Ash Era, is a very difficult task my friends. Chris Peterson is a damn good coach and WILL take full advantage of 3 NEW starting LB's and secondary that will still likely be, IMHO, "a year away." Now I want the "W" as much as anybody but I've got realistic expectations for now. I want to see improvement in all 3 facets, excitement on the field and sidelines, smart coaching, smart playing, and sound fundamentals, come Game 1. Victory would be sweet but damn, damn tough to pull off IMHO.

i'll just be happy to get to 6 wins

improvement on ALL sides of the ball is what I want to see. also more competitive in conference games we lose.

i'll just be happy to get to 6 wins

improvement on ALL sides of the ball is what I want to see. also more competitive in conference games we lose.

I think most of us would be VERY happy with 6 wins but are you going to be upset with 4/5 so long as all signs towards the future, on and off the field, are positive?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT