ADVERTISEMENT

Best/worst defenders on the team

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Who would you say are some of the best and worst defenders on the team? Coach making D a priority (unlike Jordan) could see some changes in PT

I hear the sentiments, and like Hawk said in another article, stops have to be valued as much as points scored. If so, the team is a lot better.

Defense is effort,attention, and awareness. There is a basketball culture that puts so much emphasis on scoring, and that is why defense is lacking. Still, players are realizing to go far, effort must be on the other side of the ball as well.

I was thrilled at a video I watched of Thiam months back. His awareness and attention on weak side defense and strong side defense was fantastic. It is one of the things that caught my eye most.

Reactions: Scangg
Diallo has athleticism and is a very bright kid. I'll be watching how much his D improves from this staffs mentoring. Diallo played really high, too much hands, and just racked up fouls when he was in there.

IMO Diallo has huge upside, just needs good coaching on D, needs to stay on the court to keep improving.

Defense starts and ends with athleticism. Effort won't make a guy without lateral quickness a good defender. I know a lot of guys who give effort and their man blows right past them on dribble penetration every time. Effort only means you will be very tired as your man goes right around you.....lol

Being a good team defender involves a lot of other traits....instincts, awareness, giving effort in ball rotation, closing out on defenders, etc,

Last edited:
Defense starts and ends with athleticism. Effort won't make a guy without lateral quickness a good defender. I know a lot of guys who give effort and their man blows right past them on dribble penetration every time. Effort only means you will be very tired as your man goes right around you.....lol

Being a good team defender involves a lot of other traits....instincts, awareness, giving effort in ball rotation, closing out on defenders, etc,

A lot of guys in the NBA have the athleticism but not the effort of willingness to play it. Watch any regular season game. They just do not care.It takes effort, and the willingness to do it. Yes, this is where basketball is at.

All these things rate higher than Effort. It's a given that you must give effort but effort alone will never make you a good or great defensive player.

Athletic ( lateral quickness and quickness while backing up)
Technique (sliding your feet...not crossing them ),
Maintaining proper distancing from opponent
Proper defensive stance to maintain balance
Great vision (peripheral)
The ability to "read" an opponents eyes and then react.
Having quick hands and knowing when to use them.
Being disciplined...not going for ball fakes, not reaching

Your Great Defenders will have all of the things on this list and more ( great instincts, great awareness). The less you have on this list, the worse you can play defense.

Last edited:
In general, kids just aren't being taught how to play defense, particularly man to man at the lower and high school levels. Now, look at the kids, for example, at St Anthony's, Linden, Seton Hall Prep, where the emphasis is on D and the coaches teach and practice it. If you don't play D, you don't play.

In grammar school in Elizabeth, first practice my coach said "give me all the basketballs, we won't be using these for 2 weeks, we're going to learn to play defense". A lot of what you see now is roll the ball out and play and zone on D. Many coaches were never taught and can't teach what they were never taught.

Reactions: higgins3
In general, kids just aren't being taught how to play defense, particularly man to man at the lower and high school levels. Now, look at the kids, for example, at St Anthony's, Linden, Seton Hall Prep, where the emphasis is on D and the coaches teach and practice it. If you don't play D, you don't play.

In grammar school in Elizabeth, first practice my coach said "give me all the basketballs, we won't be using these for 2 weeks, we're going to learn to play defense". A lot of what you see now is roll the ball out and play and zone on D. Many coaches were never taught and can't teach what they were never taught.

Yes, I remember when I first played on a formal team, the first thing the coach taught was "the proper defensive stance" and the proper way to move side to side. I remember drills in a defensive stance and then sliding the entire width of the court in that stance. Sliding back and forth. If you stood up too high.... you did it again, staying low. Then we drilled in that stance moving slightly backwards at an angle....right and left.... over and over.

That's why one of the things you will see in every good defensive player is a great balanced and low defensive stance.

Unfortunately, a lot of current players get to college and don't know the basics....a proper defensive stance.

Last edited:
Defense is a combo of attitude and ability. I don't buy the fact certain past players were terrible on D because of ability.

I posted in another thread that I think Coach P will be a defense first HC who plays from the rim out. That is how Calhoun's teams played when Pikiell was on staff. And with Sa, Diallo and Doorson there is some raw material here to guard the rim.

Defense is more than "attitude". There is most definitely coaching involved in getting guys to play right, schemes, switches, etc. Maybe a bit easier than teaching offense/getting competent offensive play, but not by that much.

It starts and ends with attitude. Maybe I am naive and at this level it is more than staying in front of your man on the ball and off the ball being in the ball, you, man triangle.

It starts and ends with attitude. Maybe I am naive and at this level it is more than staying in front of your man on the ball and off the ball being in the ball, you, man triangle.

Agreed. Athletic ability is a significant factor, but effort and attitude - along with excellent coaching - are also huge factors, especially when it comes to help defense and the principles surrounding it.

I think attitude and effort are the icing on the cake demanded by the coach.... but, you can't be a good or great defender without so many other things..... athletic ability, technique, etc . if so, you could throw anyone out there with the right attitude to play good defense.

Mike Williams is a good defender. Ex-players Goode and Foreman were bad defenders because they had horrible lateral movement.

Attitude and effort are big components when it comes to good Team Defense because so much of it is working hard to get to the right spot, closing out on shooters or fighting through picks, etc.

Last edited:
Adjustments on Baseline Drive

X1 Drops and helps on the post

X2 Helps in the lane/post

X3 Stays with his man

X4 Helps in the post area

X5 Comes and double teams 3. X5 makes
himself big by getting his arms up

Initial Setup of the Amoeba (vs a One-Guard Front)
See diagram A below. At the start, it looks like a diamond-and-1, with the X1 defender pressuring the ball as soon as it crosses half-court. A key point is to use your two quickest, best defensive athletes at the X1 and X2 positions. X1 pressures O1 (the ball-handler), making it difficult for O1 to either dribble or pass.

X2 starts at the high post, denying a pass there. X3 and X4 start along the lane lines, just below the elbows, facing toward the sidelines. X5 is the "hoop defender". The hoop defender must never get beaten by a low cut (from behind), and his/her rule is to "get as low as the lowest offensive player".
xAmoebaA.GIF.pagespeed.ic.4asdx4gess.png
xAmoebaB.GIF.pagespeed.ic.SAcPsW0LUU.png
xAmoebaC.png.pagespeed.ic.n89HRkOBJg.png

It's a whole bunch more than attitude.

Yes athleticism is a factor, but just about everyone on the team has athleticism. The difference maker will be effort.

Yes athleticism is a factor, but just about everyone on the team has athleticism. The difference maker will be effort.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you make it to d1, 75% of the time you have a high level of athleticism.

X3 Stays with his man

See diagram A below. At the start, it looks like a diamond-and-1, with the X1 defender pressuring the ball as soon as it crosses half-court. A key point is to use your two quickest, best defensive athletes at the X1 and X2 positions. X1 pressures O1 (the ball-handler), making it difficult for O1 to either dribble or pass.

X2 starts at the high post, denying a pass there. X3 and X4 start along the lane lines, just below the elbows, facing toward the sidelines. X5 is the "hoop defender". The hoop defender must never get beaten by a low cut (from behind), and his/her rule is to "get as low as the lowest offensive player".

Basketball is a game where you put a ball in a hoop and then you try to stop the others from doing the same on the other end. To make that job better, you run, you space, you move on offense, and you pass. It is not that complex of a game.

This module is all good and well. A lot of it stems from someone losing their man, and another person having to make up for their team mate losing their man. Defense is not that complex, and it should not be taught to be that complex. Keep your tail behind your knees, lengthen out your slide so you do not get caught off balance, and focus on doing your job. If you do that, defense is pretty simple. Accountability, like in life, is pretty important.

If we have 3 components to D.....
1. raw ability
2. coaching/schemes/ability of players to execute concepts
3. effort

it is definitely debatable the allocation

i think 2 and 3 can overcome #1 provided players have some ability.

there is no doubt that at different levels of play the allocation between 1,2 and 3 changes.

my argument has been in the Eddie Jordan regime 2 and 3 were severly lacking

X3 Stays with his man

Good coaches simplify. It is a great site, but that module seems way too complex.

Basketball is a game where you put a ball in a hoop and then you try to stop the others from doing the same on the other end. To make that job better, you run, you space, you move on offense, and you pass. It is not that complex of a game.

This module is all good and well. A lot of it stems from someone losing their man, and another person having to make up for their team mate losing their man. Defense is not that complex, and it should not be taught to be that complex. Keep your tail behind your knees, lengthen out your slide so you do not get caught off balance, and focus on doing your job. If you do that, defense is pretty simple. Accountability, like in life, is pretty important.

some guards in the B1G need a split second with a simple high screen and then elevate and quickly release a 22 footer that is tough to stop without a scheme

some guards in the B1G need a split second with a simple high screen and then elevate and quickly release a 22 footer that is tough to stop without a scheme

Shooter, go over screen. Do not give space.
Driver, go under screen give space.

What I am saying is that this stuff is far from rocket science. What matters is that kids want to give effort, pay attention to their man, and be aware of screens coming.

Effort, attention, awareness,

Not 100% true. The best defenders are savants. They scout opponents sets. They scout opponent match ups. They scout tendencies and apply it to the game. That's the difference between an athletic defender and an elite one. Defense can be complex. Just like offense you need to put effort on it off the court as well.

Reactions: higgins3
Not 100% true. The best defenders are savants. They scout opponents sets. They scout opponent match ups. They scout tendencies and apply it to the game. That's the difference between an athletic defender and an elite one. Defense can be complex. Just like offense you need to put effort on it off the court as well.

Of course. If you know someone goes right 90% of the time, force him left.

If you can force sideline and baseline, you are better off.

You are right. I also think the best defenders give the effort and just will not let their man beat them. They take it personally.

Scouting is left to the coach and the staff. Execution and effort is left to the players.

Good coaches simplify. It is a great site, but that module seems way too complex.

I understood our offensive sets and principles much better than our defensive sets and principles. Learning a college offense, to me, was significantly easier than learning and understanding defensive sets and principles at the college level.

I understood our offensive sets and principles much better than our defensive sets and principles. Learning a college offense, to me, was significantly easier than learning and understanding defensive sets and principles at the college level.

you had to learn a college basketball offense?

If we have 3 components to D.....
1. raw ability
2. coaching/schemes/ability of players to execute concepts
3. effort

it is definitely debatable the allocation

i think 2 and 3 can overcome #1 provided players have some ability.

there is no doubt that at different levels of play the allocation between 1,2 and 3 changes.

my argument has been in the Eddie Jordan regime 2 and 3 were severly lacking

FIG....some valid points. That are certainly some disagreements over the "allocation" of what makes a good defensive player.

I also think there is a big difference between man defense and team defense. I think "Effort" is a bigger component for team defense where you are defending as a unit. But, when you are facing your man face to face at the 3 point line in an iso you must have the proper stance, be able to slide quickly and other things.

Effort is also important in things like fighting through or over picks and getting back on defense....certainly the latter does not take any great athletic ability.

X3 Stays with his man

Yes #1 you have to have the athleticism to play elite D, but if you cannot play straight up, you help, rotate, double, create an advantage by surprising the O rotating where the help is coming from. You also need to learn your opponents strengths and force them to their weakness. Overplay one side to force them to go where they are not comfortable being.

Yes and not one of the "coaches" gave their thoughts on the original question who are the "Best/worst defenders on the team". [roll]

I think the general consensus is that we are trying to get away from ripping or judging 18 year old kids. We will see who gives effort this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT