ADVERTISEMENT

Should cliff be the solo team captain this year?

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
May help Paul to get every other responsibility off his plate (though I’m sure he will still help steward the team).

Could be a good time to switch as the last few classes graduated and the core of the team isn’t as connected to him.

Either way gotta give props to Pike for this cliff return. Cliff is best player and hardest worker on the team (per pike) and is the epitome of a Rutgers man. Maybe we put that C only on him and let him provide the clear message to what you have to do in this program.

Reactions: Coon73
Death, taxes, @RUsojo being passive aggressive and pretending he had no idea it was passive aggressive

stirring-the-pot-will-truman.gif

Death, taxes, @RUsojo being passive aggressive and pretending he had no idea it was passive aggressive

stirring-the-pot-will-truman.gif
The question might trigger people but it shouldn’t be viewed as a passive or assertive question either way.

Yep.

Why can’t @RUsojo just have the balls to say he doesn’t think Paul should be captain.

It’s funny the whole board has basically caught on to his schtick.
I'd say Paul's current shenanigans with not declaring his intent to return is not Captain-worthy.
Is he holding out for more NIL money?
Or is Paul above reproach and this isn't allowed to be questioned?

Reactions: seneca ave
I'd say Paul's current shenanigans with not declaring his intent to return is not Captain-worthy.

It’s fine to question anything…it’s how the OP goes about it with his passive aggressive style.

Just come out and say it. We’re not dumb.

“Current shenanigans” because he doesn’t fit a narrative for making it public thus far??? Ridiculous. Why don’t you listen to the latest pod before spouting off.

Yep.

Why can’t @RUsojo just have the balls to say he doesn’t think Paul should be captain.

It’s funny the whole board has basically caught on to his schtick.
First off it’s implied i would personally lean tbh his way. I don’t KNOW if Paul should not be a captain and I dont know if taking it away is the RIGHT move, hence the conversation. If I made that the thread title you guys would b*tch and moan, but you did anyway. Next time I’ll do that and see if you can shut the h*ll up or not should be a fun game.

“Current shenanigans” because he doesn’t fit a narrative for making it public thus far??? Ridiculous. Why don’t you listen to the latest pod before spouting off.
The off court stuff is a non issue for me. It’s the on court stuff that I think is the bigger part of the conversation I.e. repeated dirty play, whining on seemingly every call, etc. not good body language which can be contagious.

He seems to direct the guys on the court well and always is talking to his teammates about play during a stoppage - as long as that message resonates which I think it has, that’s a nice positive for why he should continue as a captain.

First off it’s implied i would personally lean tbh his way. I don’t KNOW if Paul should not be a captain and I dont know if taking it away is the RIGHT move, hence the conversation. If I made that the thread title you guys would b*tch and moan, but you did anyway. Next time I’ll do that and see if you can shut the h*ll up or not should be a fun game.

I would probably be more inclined to shut the hell up if you didn’t post or make threads that were passive aggressive.

Give it a try :)

You can’t take the C away from Paul. Pike would NEVER do this.
Agree pike wouldn’t do it. Just like he wouldn’t bench him last year though many thought down the stretch it would’ve been the prudent thing to do. Didn’t want to not have the conversation because of tha was curious what the board would do and thought would be practical or not.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The off court stuff is a non issue for me. It’s the on court stuff that I think is the bigger part of the conversation I.e. repeated dirty play, whining on seemingly every call, etc. not good body language which can be contagious.

He seems to direct the guys on the court well and always is talking to his teammates about play during a stoppage - as long as that message resonates which I think it has, that’s a nice positive for why he should continue as a captain.
buckle-up-because.jpg

Cliff and Derek. He’s the face of the team now (ticket marketing events etc.)and it’s a good way to transition to the future. With the big class coming in it also helps keep him in the program. He was the face of the team in the big ten and nit tournament. Pike and the senior led team also trusted him enough to take the last shot. Says a lot for a freshman.
I understand if he stays w Paul but the pressure looked to be too much for Paul maybe it frees him up to just play without the C.

If he comes back, you're not stripping the "C" away. Dumb thread. Could see three captains next year: Paul, Cliff and Mag.
Definitely doesn’t happen too often for sure.

I think the football team (who has way more captains) may have has someone who went from captain one year to not captain the next during Schiano 2.0 iirc. Not positive.

May help Paul to get every other responsibility off his plate (though I’m sure he will still help steward the team).

Could be a good time to switch as the last few classes graduated and the core of the team isn’t as connected to him.

Either way gotta give props to Pike for this cliff return. Cliff is best player and hardest worker on the team (per pike) and is the epitome of a Rutgers man. Maybe we put that C only on him and let him provide the clear message to what you have to do in this program.
Ridiculous consideration. Paul is the leader of this team.

This thread is so dumb
Yeah, it is colossally dumb. And unfortunately all of us responding is giving the OP's question a modicum of validity, as if it's a point worthy of debate. It's not.

There is ZERO, repeat ZERO, chance that Pike has given this idea a single fleeting thought. He's not stripping the "C" from Paul Mulcahy. Period. The OP is gaslighting this board with a ridiculous question.

We don't know if plans to do that at some point or not. And he really doesn't have to do anything. As long as coach knows what he has on the roster or what he needs to do going forward, that's the most important thing.
Of course he doesn’t HAVE to, but he CHOSE to communicate to the fans in social media when he declared for the draft. Seems reasonable from a fan perspective (agree it’s a minor issue obviously, that context is assumed) to expect a communication to close the loop.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yeah, it is colossally dumb. And unfortunately all of us responding is giving the OP's question a modicum of validity, as if it's a point worthy of debate. It's not.

There is ZERO, repeat ZERO, chance that Pike has given this idea a single fleeting thought. He's not stripping the "C" from Paul Mulcahy. Period. The OP is gaslighting this board with a ridiculous question.
@MiloTalon13

A lot of board members made Grayson Allen comparisons to Paul over the years (the validity of those I’m not talking about right now) and IIRC Allen had his captaincy revoked at Duke.

Fwiw not being named a team captain for a new season with a new team is not as extreme as “stripping a C” as some have labeled it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Seems unlikely that taking away the C would help Paul.

I don't know the personalities enough but I'd consider rewarding Hyatt too.
Seems like a great teammate who accepts whatever role the coaches put him in.

Agreed on Hyatt. Does great off the court as well.

I’d consider adding Simpson as a C to establish continuity with the 24-25 squad.

Of course he doesn’t HAVE to, but he CHOSE to communicate to the fans in social media when he declared for the draft. Seems reasonable from a fan perspective (agree it’s a minor issue obviously, that context is assumed) to expect a communication to close the loop.

Maybe he hasn't decided yet. I certainly hope he comes back, he's a great kid and an asset to the program, but by the end of last year he looked spent. Not sure if it was physical or mental, but that last press conference he looked like he was done and given us all he could give. I honestly believe he is one of the more underappreciated players to come through the system. Though we did have a whole thread calling out Geo Baker, who should be heralded as the cog that helped turn the mess around, so I could be wrong.

yeah, no.... not going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT