ADVERTISEMENT

Random reflection from the season

Loyal_2RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2001
I posted this on the round table, intending to have posted it here...

I have a feeling that Paul's end of season was more impacted than any of us realize by the trip he was accused of.

I never looked at the replay but I read here it was real .

I wonder if somehow that got in his head and led to his much more passive play down the stretch.

Or maybe not...

L

I have a feeling that Paul's end of season was more impacted than any of us realize by the trip he was accused of.

I wonder if somehow that got in his head and led to his much more passive play down the stretch.

Or maybe not...

L
Can you fill me in on the "trip" ,,,details please i.e. Another school, another opportunity...??

Do you have inside info? And what do you see as the odds that Paul comes back to RU one more time?

Thanks

MO

• Sad
Reactions: Local Shill
Can you fill me in on the "trip" ,,,details please i.e. Another school, another opportunity...??

Do you have inside info? And what do you see as the odds that Paul comes back to RU one more time?

Thanks

MO

Unsure if serious.
I'll take the bait.

Not a trip to a location.
He appeared to attempt to trip Trayce Jackson-Davis at the end of our loss in Indiana in February.

Honestly, I think it was more that he was never really healthy all year and was trying to press through it too hard. I felt the trip controversy subsided within a week. But who knows how he took it personally or what was communicated to him on social media? Of course, some of our fans on here sucked in that regard too.

Reactions: needmorecowbell

Or maybe not...

L
I highly doubt he thought about the “trip” for more than a day. Way more important things going on and athletes don’t dwell on little things for every long. The real issue was he was injured all year. When he was close to healthy, he would re-injure himself. It had to be very frustrating for someone who prepares all year to have a season like that. The Michigan St was the first game I saw him healthy, he played great and then he re-injured himself.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to rag on Pike here at all, but I really think he mismanaged Paul poorly down the stretch.

He needed to sit and take a breather on the bench for a couple days. Then reset and go from there. I didn’t like how he kept just throwing him out there for max minutes over and over again expecting something to click. He was clearly mentally off.

It’s like when a dude is in a slump in baseball. Sometimes you just gotta give the guy a day off and start fresh tomorrow.

I’m not trying to rag on Pike here at all, but I really think he mismanaged Paul poorly down the stretch.

He needed to sit and take a breather on the bench for a couple days. Then reset and go from there. I didn’t like how he kept just throwing him out there for max minutes over and over again expecting something to click. He was clearly mentally off.

It’s like when a dude is in a slump in baseball. Sometimes you just gotta give the guy a day off and start fresh tomorrow.
The problem is that depth was an issue last year. This only got worse after Mag’s injury later in the season.

Reactions: needmorecowbell

Or maybe not...

L
I have thought this was a contributing factor as well. Paul was raked over the coals on social media after the Indiana game, and that's why he suspended his social media accounts. This HAD to have impacted his mental stability.

The problem is that depth was an issue last year. This only got worse after Mag’s injury later in the season.
Yeah but you were giving out extended minutes to Dean and Oskar, but not Simpson.

It didn’t really make sense.

I have thought this was a contributing factor as well. Paul was raked over the coals on social media after the Indiana game, and that's why he suspended his social media accounts. This HAD to have impacted his mental stability.
Players don’t really care about other fanbases. If a lot of RU fans were giving him crap, that would have a bigger impact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT