ADVERTISEMENT

Should cliff be the solo team captain this year?

Certainly you wouldn’t expect a team leader to not be aware of the sentiment of uncertainty that not making an announcement can bring to a program.
I mean besides the fact that everyone's reporting that the staff fully expects him back, what negative impacts is this "uncertainty" having on the program exactly?

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I mean besides the fact that everyone's reporting that the staff fully expects him back, what negative impacts is this "uncertainty" having on the program exactly?
I don’t think I said anything about negative impact. Just uncertainty to the program - obviously inclusive of the fan base. But good point as well.

Usually a team captain is at the forefront of the program publicly and rallies the fan base up for “1 more year” which Cliff did.

Caleb made the same announcement last year the next day

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
The uncertainty is the negative impact. On portal recruiting. We Can’t diss Cam and give Paul a pass. Late is late.

I dont think either owes RU anything and timing is their call. But judge them both the same.

Last edited:
Not that any refs give Paul the respect a "C" should earn.. Paul needs whatever limited protection that might get him for his reactions to calls and no-calls. In an ideal world refs would fairly all games and we could all just berate Paul for his reactions and maybe get him to stop.. but, come on, we've seen so much crap reffin' and a lot of it involved Paul.

Not that any refs give Paul the respect a "C" should earn.. Paul needs whatever limited protection that might get him for his reactions to calls and no-calls. In an ideal world refs would fairly all games and we could all just berate Paul for his reactions and maybe get him to stop.. but, come on, we've seen so much crap reffin' and a lot of it involved Paul.
Let me let you in on a secret . . . the refs don’t care who is a captain

Let me let you in on a secret . . . the refs don’t care who is a captain
Do they care who the coach is?

Will they take more crap from head coaches than assistants than players?

Shouldn't a captain on the floor captain have some leniency to speak his mind like a head coach?

If that's not the way it works it certainly should be that way.

I thought he made it clear. Spencer, McConnell and Simpson. I am not agreeing, but, I thought his
I thought he made it clear. Spencer, McConnell and Simpson. I am not agreeing, but, I thought his opinion was obvious.
He actually only said that we played better when Simpson was playing PG. He never said who should replace Paul while he was being benched. Maybe he thought Hyatt IDK but he never gave me an answer. He also gave me who should play over him next year, but again he said Paul should have been benched last year. Maybe he didn’t understand what benched meant.

Do they care who the coach is?

Will they take more crap from head coaches than assistants than players?

Shouldn't a captain on the floor captain have some leniency to speak his mind like a head coach?

If that's not the way it works it certainly should be that way.
Aaron Boone has already been thrown out of 4 games this year . . .

The uncertainty is the negative impact. On portal recruiting. We Can’t diss Cam and give Paul a pass. Late is late.

I dont think either owes RU anything and timing is their call. But judge them both the same.

Dude - just stop. It’s not even remotely the same. Cam had made a formal decision. He accepted admission into RU grad school. It was announced. Then when he was allowed, he changed his mind and entered the portal.

How can you compare this situation? We have no idea why Paul hasn’t announced, but there’s almost no chance that Paul hasn’t been up front with Pike about where he’s at every step of the way.

Dude - just stop. It’s not even remotely the same. Cam had made a formal decision. He accepted admission into RU grad school. It was announced. Then when he was allowed, he changed his mind and entered the portal.

How can you compare this situation? We have no idea why Paul hasn’t announced, but there’s almost no chance that Paul hasn’t been up front with Pike about where he’s at every step of the way.
you’re missing the bigger picture. he doesn’t know yet so Pike is stuck waiting, unable to try to get someone off the portal sooner rather than later if he leaves.

if Paul does eventually announce that he’s leaving, would you agree it has same effect as Cam (or worse, since later)?

Is Paul on campus working out with other players?

If I were his teammate I wouldn’t be happy if he wasn’t there and if I didn’t know if he’d be back.

I like Paul I hope he comes back I think he can have a great season

The prevailing opinion that everyone, the coaches his teammates and any potential transfers know he’s definitely back but he just doesn’t want to make it public yet is nonsensical

If I were his teammate I wouldn’t be happy if he wasn’t there and if I didn’t know if he’d be back.

The prevailing opinion that everyone, the coaches his teammates and any potential transfers know he’s definitely back but he just doesn’t want to make it public yet is nonsensical
Right. If Paul were committed, it would get out. He is still undecided, still looking and considering options.

Nothing wrong with that. He’s got to look out for No. 1 regardless of the effect on RU.

you’re missing the bigger picture. he doesn’t know yet so Pike is stuck waiting, unable to try to get someone off the portal sooner rather than later if he leaves.

if Paul does eventually announce that he’s leaving, would you agree it has same effect as Cam (or worse, since later)?
Not even close.Paul was a net negative last year and Cam was arguably our best @ most important player

I agree Cam the best player and Paul among the weakest. I meant there is harm in leaving late and if Paul leaves it would be hard to find someone at even his skill level now.

Paul didn't give everyone the impression that he's staying and then pull a late fly by night entry into the transfer portal, leaving us with little chance to replace him with an equivalent player... There's a difference in how you plan when a player has said that he's staying, as opposed to how you plan if he hasn't given any information one way or another. And as has been mentioned, Spencer was our best shooter and was going to be relied on heavily this year... Seems like a big difference in the two situations.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

He’s definitely not transferring to another college. I’d bet my mortgage on that one.

This means that whatever the uncertainty, Pike and all around him know about it every step of the way. We have 3 scholarships to use in addition to his. He’s not holding up a spot that we will otherwise use. No way we take 4 more portal kids with or without him.

Maybe it’s impacting recruiting but I’d say probably not - we had no problem recruiting Noah right away without knowing the deal about Paul’s future.

Nobody said that exactly. It wouldn’t be that he doesn’t want to make it public. It would be that technically it’s not official yet because NIL contract details are still being worked out.

I believe that Paul was injured most of last season. He always gave 100 % for all 4 years and he loves RU and is so loyal to RU. I am hoping he returns and can remain healthy all season. He seems to love RU so much and I think he will be back. I hope he can fulfill all of his dreams by staying healthy and leading RU to one fabulous season. Too many fans on here just love blaming so much on him. I know he was frustrated much of last season but I don't think anyone on the team wants to win as badly as he does. I attended 23 practices this past season and I have seen him in all of the games and those practices. He is the # 1 leader and vocal spokesman on our team. He is a pure leader and gathers the players together and leads the discussion. No one is a leader on the floor like him. I hope and I believe he will return to try to finish unfinished business. He has done a lot for RU and he is human. Of course at times he might have been a bit overreactive on the court but I believe that was all because he wanted to win so badly. I am certain if he is back and stays healthy we will see a much happier Paul and one who will contribute a complete 100 % for our team. He does so much for RU and I want to see him as a captain once again with Cliff. If there is a third captain I think Mag or Hyatt could play that role. Maybe Mag because he could return the following season as well which might be good for the future.

He’s definitely not transferring to another college. I’d bet my mortgage on that one.

This means that whatever the uncertainty, Pike and all around him know about it every step of the way. We have 3 scholarships to use in addition to his. He’s not holding up a spot that we will otherwise use. No way we take 4 more portal kids with or without him.

Maybe it’s impacting recruiting but I’d say probably not - we had no problem recruiting Noah right away without knowing the deal about Paul’s future.
Mortgage at risk

May help Paul to get every other responsibility off his plate (though I’m sure he will still help steward the team).

Could be a good time to switch as the last few classes graduated and the core of the team isn’t as connected to him.

Either way gotta give props to Pike for this cliff return. Cliff is best player and hardest worker on the team (per pike) and is the epitome of a Rutgers man. Maybe we put that C only on him and let him provide the clear message to what you have to do in this program.
Did you know.something when you started this thread? Everyone except me may owe you a big apology. 😆😆.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Let’s see what happens here. There’s been nothing to hold him up from entering the portal. Why is he waiting if transferring is the plan? Doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
Let’s see what happens here. There’s been nothing to hold him up from entering the portal. Why is he waiting if transferring is the plan? Doesn’t make sense.
Because he just found out how badly Kentucky needs / wants him. Lol. 😆😆 😆 They only have 7 scholarship players.

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Maybe I need to go in the driveway and get a few shots up. I’d be willing to play for free.

Just hit the gym and look hot. That's the secret to making real NIL money from promoting brands online.

College athletes actually make little money compared to their peers.

Despite his sport having no impact on his value, the old rules would have prevented him from profiting off his social media if he accepted a scholarship.

https://time.com/6284880/sam-hurley-track-and-field-tiktok-nil-texas/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT