ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Coaches vote for 20 game League Schedule for 2018/19

I you have guys taking 6 credits in a semester and I'm fairly sure they don't at Rutgers you're no better than UNC.

There are practice limitations-----academic advisors who travel with the team on away games----lectures posted by professors online.

I'm not one of those " In my day " types but in my day no one stuck around for the summer except those that had to due to shaky grades. We went home and worked at summer jobs. Summer in South Bend was a sentence back then.

You took 15 credits every semester and graduated in 4 years.

There was no such thing as redshirting.

You crammed and persevered and you got through----and you were better for it.

You played a D1 sport at ND?

NCAA site-

• 40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
  • Student-athletes are allowed five years of eligibility and athletically related financial aid.
  • All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation.

Surprised there are several people who don't like this. Say you have 30 game schedule allocated as follows:

20 games - Big 10 opponents
1 game - ACC Challenge
1 game - Seton Hall
1 game every 2 years - Big East squad and in off year - we schedule another P6 opponent
7 games - local mid majors / small schools

What is not to like about this? I want maximum capacity for competitive matchups and as good as a home schedule as can be.

2 divisions of 7 teams (like in football)
- play division foes twice (home and home) for 12 games
- play every team in the other division once (7 games)

For B10 tournament the top 2 seeds are the champs from each division and then you go down the list for E2 / W2 etc..

Day 1 would be:
W6 vs E7
E6 vs W7

Day 2
E3 vs Day 1 winner
E4 vs W5
W3 vs Day 1 winner
W4 vs E5

Day 3 would be
E1, W1, E2, W2 vs prior winners

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Don't want 10 conference football games.
I do.

Surprised there are several people who don't like this. Say you have 30 game schedule allocated as follows:

20 games - Big 10 opponents
1 game - ACC Challenge
1 game - Seton Hall
1 game every 2 years - Big East squad and in off year - we schedule another P6 opponent
7 games - local mid majors / small schools

What is not to like about this? I want maximum capacity for competitive matchups and as good as a home schedule as can be.
2 divisions of 7 teams (like in football)
- play division foes twice (home and home) for 12 games
- play every team in the other division once (7 games)

For B10 tournament the top 2 seeds are the champs from each division and then you go down the list for E2 / W2 etc..

Day 1 would be:
W6 vs E7
E6 vs W7

Day 2
E3 vs Day 1 winner
E4 vs W5
W3 vs Day 1 winner
W4 vs E5

Day 3 would be
E1, W1, E2, W2 vs prior winners
Now that we’re here, who doesn’t wasn’t more B1G?

Yes to all three of these.

Higgins

Yes I did------Football------ member of the Class of 1968.

Different rules back then-----you could redshirt but ND didn't. You had 4 to play unless you lost a year to injury.

To my original point it means that if you take 6 credits a semester at the end of 4 years you are still a long way off from a degree----and if all you can handle is 6 credits you don't belong in college.

Just my opinion.

Higgins

Different rules back then-----you could redshirt but ND didn't. You had 4 to play unless you lost a year to injury.

To my original point it means that if you take 6 credits a semester at the end of 4 years you are still a long way off from a degree----and if all you can handle is 6 credits you don't belong in college.

Just my opinion.

That's pretty cool.

The rules for most sports have changed in favor of the player. And offense. You can take 6 credits, you just have to take 12 in the summer. Or however those NCAA guidelines explained it.

I think this only helps the prestige of our league. Brings in more talent, better matchups, SOS'. Definitely could be rougher for the rebuilder but i mean id rather have two more hard fought losses than a cupcake win.

$$$$

It adds content to sell to the tv providers. Rutgers vs a Monmouth is not a game they care about but Rutgers vs Purdue or Rutgers vs Minnesota is better for TV

Reactions: MV9000
This also reduces the number of quality of non-conference opponents you need to schedule by at least 2. Will be harder for quality non-Power 5 programs to schedule B1G teams a bit I would think. I see this and the B1G football scheduling rules as a way to close ranks as a Power 5 league and marginalize the "have nots". Which selfishly I don't have a problem with, for basketball. I have a fear that we'll finally get decent enough to be an NCAA team and then have the pundits clamoring for the committee to take St. Mary's or a College of Charleston at the expense of B1G bad Rutgers.

NCAA should have never let most of the conference realignment happen.

The NCAA had ZERO power over this. None. And any attempt to stop it would have been a wonderful waste of time in court, which the NCAA would have lost.

The NCAA does enough things wrong, and yet people still try to pin things on it in which it has little or no say.

Even when I was in college running for Bellarmine in Louisville, Ky. I never took less than 15 credits. We needed 128 credits to graduate over 8 semesters which was an average of 16 credits a semester. We had to take 18 credits a few semesters. You either cut it or you didn't make it. Those that were serious finished in 4 years with no summer school. Those that partied too much usually didn't make it. As they told us at freshman orientation, "look to your right and to your left". "Most likely only one of you three will still be with us in 4 years". It was very true.

Per Jon Rothstein, Big 10 Coaches voted in favor of a 20 game league schedule commencing in 2018/19.

Good sign as I believe the AD's need to make it official - however I'm sure many AD's won't vote against what their coaches want.

I'm all for it baby!![/QUOT

I’m not a fan...but mostly because of our already crappy OOC conference schedule. Going forward,with a couple more B1G games, i expect our OOC games to be nothing but cupcakes. I don’t miss the A10 at all, but I do miss when an occasional OOC ranked team would visit the RAC like Missouri or UNLV.

Call me greedy but I want 10.

And for Basketball they’re not adding games, but playing more B1G and less OCC, right ?
LOL.

Yes. For basketball 20 B1G games means 2 less OOC games. I like this for basketball. Let's play the teams on our conference. 20 B1G games and about 11 or 12 OOC. Cool.

I do not want to go to 10 B1G games out of 12 in football. The difference between the two sports is the beating and injuries B1G football teams take in conference play. I believe we had zero significant injuries from the Norfolk State game; and that is due to us being bigger, stronger and deeper than them. Right now, a good number of teams don't have the quality depth that needed to play 9 B1G games, forget about 10. And many football conferences still play 8.

Even when I was in college running for Bellarmine in Louisville, Ky. I never took less than 15 credits. We needed 128 credits to graduate over 8 semesters which was an average of 16 credits a semester. We had to take 18 credits a few semesters. You either cut it or you didn't make it. Those that were serious finished in 4 years with no summer school. Those that partied too much usually didn't make it. As they told us at freshman orientation, "look to your right and to your left". "Most likely only one of you three will still be with us in 4 years". It was very true.

I think the discussion of light schedules applies mostly for revenue sports where the kids can potentially go pro and earn big bucks right away. I am guessing the 1 and done's at Kentucky and Louisville would be the worst offenders of this where some don't even go to class in their 2nd semester. For years many of our women's sports teams had earned a lot of academic accolades. I think part of the reason is many were not on a path to go pro and used their scholarships to get an education. Now if we have another player like a Ray Rice who is spectacular as a freshman and probably headed to the NFL that player will just stay eligible until it is time to get drafted.

Could we move to divisions in Basketball just like football?

Home and homes against your division (12 games)

Home and homes 1 team from the other division on a 7 year rotation (2 games)

Play everyone in the other division (6 games)

That would help with travel costs.

Aside from the travel costs, I like the fact you have more balance in scheduling. In a division, the entire division, depending on the methodology, plays the exact same or almost the exact same schedule. No worries about the third-place team having an easier league schedule than the fifth-place team. I like that.

The single worst thing about all of this conference expansion, besides the travel and lack of logic to some teams being in the same conference, is that you don't play everybody. So although of course there has to be some limit, the more conference games, the better.

So you played in this game. Impressive.
1966_tie.jpg

I don't mind 20 out of ~30 (67%) games being in conference, as 1/3 OOC seems reasonable for getting in a nice variety of cupcakes and interesting games. For football, though, I don't want to see any more than 9 B1G games out of 12 (75%), as I like being able to play at least 3 OOC games.

20 Game Big 10 Conference Schedule is official starting in 18/19 per Rothstein.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT