Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Last year in 20 big ten games
Defensive fg%...39.2%
rebounding margin +3.1

This year in 9 big ten games
Defensive Fg...45.8%
rebounding margin ..-6.0

While 9 games allows for a little bit of variance, and i think our schedule has been a bit tougher this year than last ...

This still speaks volumes ...a major major fall off

Reactions: goru7 and RU2131
Defensive fg%...39.2%
rebounding margin +3.1

Defensive Fg...45.8%
rebounding margin ..-6.0

While 9 games allows for a little bit of variance, and i think our schedule has been a bit tougher this year than last ...

Effort, belief in your coaching and want to. Something is not right and it is up to the staff and players to fix.

We were fine thru the Maryland game. Illinois game forward (minus WISCONSIN) we have been dreadful.

Most of those games were minus Cliff....

How much of a difference in your opponents shooting percentage is based on 15 to 17 minutes of not having Cliff

OR

Just better offense by opponents OR

RU not shooting as well and sagging on defense because of it OR

the level of play due to Geo, Harper being limited......

I think the difference between being a winning program vs not is probably 2 possessions per half where you defend better and keep teams off the offensive glass.

I also think there is a percentage impacted by the referees on a possession or 2 each half, that adds points to our opponents scoring whether we are called for a foul and we don't get a call on the offensive end.

Defensive fg%...39.2%
rebounding margin +3.1

Defensive Fg...45.8%
rebounding margin ..-6.0

Yea and the reason for most of this Geo and Paul, and a worse offensive efficiency

Most of those games were minus Cliff....

How much of a difference in your opponents shooting percentage is based on 15 to 17 minutes of not having Cliff

OR

Just better offense by opponents OR

RU not shooting as well and sagging on defense because of it OR

the level of play due to Geo, Harper being limited......

I think the difference between being a winning program vs not is probably 2 possessions per half where you defend better and keep teams off the offensive glass.

I also think there is a percentage impacted by the referees on a possession or 2 each half, that adds points to our opponents scoring whether we are called for a foul and we don't get a call on the offensive end.
Yes Cliff makes a difference
Cmon with the refs
Doesn’t the eye tell you it is more than a possesion or 2?

We just don't have that second rebounder ala Yeboah!! How many times have you seen RHJ beaten for a rebound on a missed foul shot which of course cost us the Iowa game that is just inexcusable

What you are basically saying is that we need a bigger more athletic four which I have said for a while. Atkinson the Yale transfer to Notre Dame is just that sort of example. Good shooter and handles and plus rebounder. This allows Harper to go back to the three and really cause more problems for other teams. Hopefully we can pick up one from the portal or Juco. We also need a slasher because I assume Jacob will not be back.

More like the other team knows we are looking to run in transition(watch our guards in rebounding) and instead they crash the boards which gets 2nd attempts.
we need to rebound FIRSY and make that a priority..box a man out

Reactions: goru7
The injury to Cliff started the defensive and rebounding woes that have contributed to the streak.
We essentially lost two players as Miles became a much less effective player. He became so conscious of his foul situation each game that he could not play with the same instinctive intensity.
Miles is a one of the best post defenders and rebounders I have seen in my years of being a fan but he became tentative as he tried to stay out of foul trouble .
With Cliff out and Miles on the bench, we cannot play the aggressive hedge with our center and the entire defense has to change.
I also think that some of our players (I wont call them out by name), are not giving the same defensive effort that they have in the past. Its very odd but sometimes we look like we have multiple players coming off the flu.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Should we be calling Jay Young at Fairfield for his 3 keys to the game before each game?

I thought they played a very good defensive game against Iowa. Nice job on Trice for most of the WI game. Myles has been a wall. Think it may be telling that we haven't heard any accolades thrown at the intensity of Young and Mathis like we heard last year.

Should we be calling Jay Young at Fairfield for his 3 keys to the game before each game?

I thought they played a very good defensive game against Iowa. Nice job on Trice for most of the WI game. Myles has been a wall. Think it may be telling that we haven't heard any accolades thrown at the intensity of Young and Mathis like we heard last year.

Don't look at Fairfield's defensive stats. (11th out of 11 in the MAAC)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT