ADVERTISEMENT

Big ten is deeper than ever

Was that post before last night? I would bump PSU to 9.
Against a depleted Indiana team. Overall their resume is not impressive to me (12 in the B1G and outside the NCAA field looks right to me). Win @ Wiscy and then we’ll talk.

I always liked Ed Cooley and thought he is a real good coach and leader. What are fans’ thoughts about him? Is he a Providence lifer or do you have to fend off other schools?
He has done an incredible job and is very well liked. Could actually be in the running for coach of the year again. I myself figured losing every starter it would be at least another year b4 we could get back to the tournament. But he has them playing great and now my hopes are up again.

Reactions: RUPete
Against a depleted Indiana team. Overall their resume is not impressive to me (12 in the B1G and outside the NCAA field looks right to me). Win @ Wiscy and then we’ll talk.
Fair enough.

League doesn’t seem that strong to me. Will be interesting to see once last years data becomes weighted less as the season goes on. Big 12 miles ahead of everyone.

Ohio State is still good despite this stretch. They will likely reel off a bunch of wins at some point. Hopefully after Sunday!!

He has done an incredible job and is very well liked. Could actually be in the running for coach of the year again. I myself figured losing every starter it would be at least another year b4 we could get back to the tournament. But he has them playing great and now my hopes are up again.
Cooley has a "contract for life" with PC.

Update

1. Purdue

2. Michigan State
3. Rutgers

4. Iowa
5. Illinois
6. Wisconsin
7. Ohio State
8. Michigan

9. Maryland
10. Northwestern
11. Penn State
12. Indiana

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota
With so much parity, I don’t even think you can carve it up like this.

Don't look now but Minnesota is playing well. After sucking all season they are waking up just in time to ruin everyone's NET ratings in conf play.

They've been knocking on the door since the start of the year - maybe they've figured things out?

1/03 - 60-63 @Wisconsin
1/07 - 79-81 vs. Nebraska (OT)
1/12 - 70-67 @Ohio State

At this level of sports, a lot of players think they don’t need their A game or lose focus vs an inferior opponent. It’s human nature. You always have to be hunting or else someone will hunt you. It’s so hard for a coaching staff to prevent this mentality. You have to bring 100% focus every night to win in this league. Good for Minnesota.

new update

Update

1. Purdue

2. Rutgers

3. Michigan State
4. Iowa
5. Illinois
6. Michigan
7. Ohio State
8. Wisconsin

9. Penn State
10. Indiana
11. Maryland
12. Northwestern

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota

Reactions: Scangg
new update

Update

1. Purdue

2. Rutgers

3. Michigan State
4. Iowa
5. Illinois
6. Michigan
7. Ohio State
8. Wisconsin

9. Penn State
10. Indiana
11. Maryland
12. Northwestern

13. Nebraska

14. Minnesota
2-7 quarterfinal game in big 10 tourney: us vs buckeyes. I sense we ll meet Ohio state again in the big 10 tourney.

Recent games I would move Minnesota over Nebraska and shorten those gaps.

Wisconsin without Wahl …

I think once again best conference in the country. Certainly deepest.

Recent games I would move Minnesota over Nebraska and shorten those gaps.

Wisconsin without Wahl …

I think once again best conference in the country. Certainly deepest.
It probably has the most parity, but if you take the top halves of the Big East, ACC, B12, and PAC10, they're all stronger than the top part of the Big10, imo.

It probably has the most parity, but if you take the top halves of the Big East, ACC, B12, and PAC10, they're all stronger than the top part of the Big10, imo.
Eh, Big XII for sure. Others are pretty debatable. I’m guessing you're looking at the rankings, but ranked teams keep dropping like flies. It’ll look totally different in even two weeks.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to when UCLA comes in for hoops to give the conference a bonafide NC contender on the regular and a pretty consistent tourney team in USC. While everyone is fixated on football getting better with USC/UCLA in the conference, both will also make B1G basketball a lot stronger as well.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Rankings are also screwed up right now. Big East has 4 ranked teams, Big 10 only 2. Marquette and Xavier are ranked and both got roughed up by Big 10 teams. With Nova sucking, there is no way the Big East is that strong compared to the Big 10.
Watch some other conference games this week then watch a big 10 game
The big 10 teams are built differently than say big east teams
Big 10 teams look more like football teams
I don’t think any team in the big east would be top 4 in the Big playing Big schedule and Big League, couldn’t handle the 20 games of physicality

I'm looking forward to when UCLA comes in for hoops to give the conference a bonafide NC contender on the regular and a pretty consistent tourney team in USC. While everyone is fixated on football getting better with USC/UCLA in the conference, both will also make B1G basketball a lot stronger as well.
It will be BIG and everyone else in all sports and tied for football.

Eh, Big XII for sure. Others are pretty debatable. I’m guessing your looking at the rankings, but ranked teams keep dropping like flies. It’ll look totally different in even two weeks.
I guess the question is the deepest conference the best conference? What’s the criteria?
If you are talking depth, BIG 12 current 7/8/9/10 is
Oklahoma
OSU
WVU
Texas Tech
B1G current 7/8/9/10 is
Northwestern
Illinois
Wisconsin
Indiana

B1G wins that plus you have Ohio State and Maryland behind those four.
That’s a deeper conference.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I guess the question is the deepest conference the best conference? What’s the criteria?
If you are talking depth, BIG 12 current 7/8/9/10 is
Oklahoma
OSU
WVU
Texas Tech
B1G current 7/8/9/10 is
Northwestern
Illinois
Wisconsin
Indiana

B1G wins that plus you have Ohio State and Maryland behind those four.
That’s a deeper conference.
Another way to look at depth and given that the BIG is bigger is whether there is an “off” night during league play. Doesn’t appear to be any in either.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT