ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 33 BIG TEN TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS PURDUE: Back in the RU Groove

If Hyatt continues to be behind Oskar, his Rutgers career is likely over after this season

If he bounces back, has a strong tournament, and plays more bc of it, I could see him being back

I've been saying Hyatt was a dark horse candidate to not return for a bit and now with his role shrinking it seems more and more likely

Remember it will be his 6th year in college if he returns and not everyone wants to do that

Gillis destroyed Oskar and Hyatt when they were in there
Oskar’s not there yet but his court awareness has improved dramatically, especially considering he’s only just been given decent minutes to contribute. His size is ideal for traps and for zone defense, and he’s a legit threat from deep.

Hyatt is more frustrating because he falls asleep on defense. He has all the physical talent needed, but just can’t seem to consistently put it all together. I’m rooting for both to help us to victory in the next game.

If Hyatt continues to be behind Oskar, his Rutgers career is likely over after this season

If he bounces back, has a strong tournament, and plays more bc of it, I could see him being back

I've been saying Hyatt was a dark horse candidate to not return for a bit and now with his role shrinking it seems more and more likely

Remember it will be his 6th year in college if he returns and not everyone wants to do that
Hyatt can win couple games a year off the bench for us, I'm fine with him returning if he's ok with a back-up role and maybe even sharing that with Oskar . And we don't know Mag's timetable for a healthy return unfortunately.

BAC BAC BAC!

Foul discrepancy in the first half isn’t a factor? Huh?

Officiating was a wash??

Purdue was 19-27 from the line.
RU was 9-13 from the line.

Caleb fouling out.
Cliff in foul trouble.

Sorry but officiating a bigger factor than rebounding. Was the key to the game.

Rest of review is spot on.
How about the 1345 fouls we got away with in the 1st half? Stop complaining about everything and enjoy the moments my man! Put on those dancing shoes!

Hyatt is not a winning player. Look at how many minutes he got during our big winning streak last year.

Its a big elephant in the room right now. I still think he is going to be called upon in the tournament

For now it looks like he wasnt willing to embrace what role they wanted him as starter which wasnt as anything more than embrace the team defensive priciples and embrace being nothing more than a 5th opition on offense

Reactions: kcg88
Its a big elephant in the room right now. I still think he is going to be called upon in the tournament

For now it looks like he wasnt willing to embrace what role they wanted him as starter which wasnt as anything more than embrace the team defensive priciples and embrace being nothing more than a 5th opition on offense
Something is off with him right now..maybe with Palm getting starting nods over him and then Simpson?? Not really sure but he looks out of it while on the floor. He always tends to have lapses where he falls asleep but it’s greater than usual lately

Something is off with him right now..maybe with Palm getting starting nods over him and then Simpson?? Not really sure but he looks out of it while on the floor. He always tends to have lapses where he falls asleep but it’s greater than usual lately
he fell asleep today on a baseline cut but gillas i believe and got caught ball watching

Reactions: RUBlackout
The game plan was elite, 2 days in a row on both ends. We are getting looks and preventing looks or good shots from our opponents.

I am going to put together a post season thread that highlights the enormous gap in terms of Rivals talent rankings in terms of recruiting and Purdue.....if I include Jaden Ivey into the Purdue mix of recruiting over classes 2019 to 2022, Purdue has EIGHT 4 star players....and Zach Edey is actually not one of those 8 recruits, since he was a 3 star.

It's not to highlight the talent gap on paper, it can easily be argued that the difference ih the game was the production Purdue's bench provided, when we smothered Edey for extended periods of the game.

The emerging Simpson at least gives us a chance to look like a normal program again. I'm curious to see how this goes in the NCAAs and into next year. Same with Woolfolk as well.
Simpson has elevated the whole offense. We didn’t get any offensive production from the bench today. It’s ashame Simpson’s last few shots didn’t drop.

Simpson has elevated the whole offense. We didn’t get any offensive production from the bench today. It’s ashame Simpson’s last few shots didn’t drop.
It’s also a shame Simpson wasn’t inserted into the starting lineup about 5 games ago when he should have been.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Favorite Loss of the year.

Super proud of those guys manning up and pulling themselves out
Of their funk last two days.
I wanted the win, but have nothing to complain about.

Hoping we get called and go punch some poor suckers in the face in the tourney.

Hyatt is not a winning player. Look at how many minutes he got during our big winning streak last year.
You might be right but if he hits just 1 of his corner threes and Oscar hits 1 of his 3 shots we win. He was not engaged on the boards on defense or in the flow. He can do better but so inconsistent it is damn frustrating.

I might be crazy…. But I would be happy if we ended up in NIT. Maybe it would humble this group. Can’t stand attitudes of Cliff, Paul and Caleb. Steve seems to be losing control of this team once Mag went down
More posters everyday go on my ignore list, this is one of the easiest.

Announcers during MSU game just noted that the two questionable fouls on Cliff significantly changed the tenor of the game.

SMH!!!
And the horrible call that fouled out Caleb with 2:06 left and only down 6. Talk about a game changer. Instead of the steal and breakaway that would have made it a 4 point game, Caleb fouls out, they are shooting free throws and Oskar plays the rest of the game instead of Caleb.

Gamechanging, garbage call.

Reactions: G- RUnit
No issues with yesterday's performance. We lost but we competed well and loved the defensive intensity and effort. If DS converts those short jump shots off press turnovers and Caleb is credit with a steal instead of a foul, the outcome may have been different. A night and day difference in my feelings about this team belonging in the tournament today versus after the NW game.

While I am not confident that we are poised to make a run in the tournament, given that lack of great teams and the overall amount of parity in college basketball, I actually prefer a non-Dayton 11 seed start versus and 8-9 seed. More than ever it will depend on the particular matchup.

I might be crazy…. But I would be happy if we ended up in NIT. Maybe it would humble this group. Can’t stand attitudes of Cliff, Paul and Caleb. Steve seems to be losing control of this team once Mag went down
The only part of your comment I would agree with is that yes, you are crazy. Every other comment nonsensical.

We got nothing from Oskar and Hyatt

Mag plus more Simpson instead of Oskar and Hyatt and this team would really be awesome
Yeah, we never got to see this version of Derek alongside Mag. Our best team. If those two are starters, who sits.

No issues with yesterday's performance. We lost but we competed well and loved the defensive intensity and effort. If DS converts those short jump shots off press turnovers and Caleb is credit with a steal instead of a foul, the outcome may have been different. A night and day difference in my feelings about this team belonging in the tournament today versus after the NW game.

While I am not confident that we are poised to make a run in the tournament, given that lack of great teams and the overall amount of parity in college basketball, I actually prefer a non-Dayton 11 seed start versus and 8-9 seed. More than ever it will depend on the particular matchup.
Agree. Those weren’t easy shots for Derek, but different endgame if he makes them.

It’s comforting to say we were competitive with Purdue ( one of the five best in the country) and could have won with only a few better plays or calls. As Andy Katz says “right now, no one wants to be matched up with Rutgers in the tournament “. Looking forward to our name being called tomorrow.

Impressive game for Rutgers despite losing. Defense was outstanding and offense much improved with Simpson as PG , Paul G-F, and Hyatt to the bench. Simpson will be fun to watch in the coming years. If he works on his shot this off-season , he will be special. Rutgers was physical and tough. But kudos to Purdue and Coach Painter. They responded well to Rutgers physical play unlike Indiana which plays soft when punched in the mouth. If Rutgers gets the invitation they will be a tough out if they continue to play as they have done in the Big Ten tournament.

Impressive game for Rutgers despite losing. Defense was outstanding and offense much improved with Simpson as PG , Paul G-F, and Hyatt to the bench. Simpson will be fun to watch in the coming years. If he works on his shot this off-season , he will be special. Rutgers was physical and tough. But kudos to Purdue and Coach Painter. They responded well to Rutgers physical play unlike Indiana which plays soft when punched in the mouth. If Rutgers gets the invitation they will be a tough out if they continue to play as they have done in the Big Ten tournament.
Dean (the Dream) Meminger famously practiced his shot tens of thousands of times one summer. He got a little better

ADVERTISEMENT