ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Tourney 2nd round: Indiana thoughts

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
What a win tonight, good to feel legit and part of the Big 10.....first back to back conference win in 20 years. What a difference a week makes. It was hard not to be down on this team they way they finished with 10 losses in 11 games but the resiliency shown in the last 2 games, seems like they find ways to come back from the dead. It wasnt a game where RU won at the buzzer or trailed and then just got it at the end. This was a game that RU fought for and deserved. Unbelievably they were the better team on the court tonight. The RU faithful took over at the end wresting control of the Garden from a loud Indiana contingent who had less to cheer for as the game went on. Great to see alot of RU faithful at the end congregating and cheering on the team in the aftermath of the game.

Pikiell was downright bossin the game coaching...Well from maybe 12 minutes in on make no mistake about it, his moves, his adjustments, his substitutions and lineups were all spot on.
First time these two teams played I thought that Miller coached the pants off of Pikiell. Both teams came off of short rests and tough loss against much better opponents. Miller not only had his team mentally ready but also prepped his team perfectly on Rutgers....totally shutting them down on offense and exploiting them on defense,.

In the first 10 minutes of the game, it looked a repeat of that game. However Pike inserted Freeman into the game and it sparked just an anemic looking offense, then I was pissed because Freeman came out and then the lead went to 24-8 and Indiana looked like they would win by 30 plus. After a timeout not sure of the time, Freeman came back in, and RU started to get in the passing lines and anticipate the passes and get some steals for easy baskets. Once that happened it seemed like RU loosened up and they starting knocking down shots.

From then on RU played some pretty stifiling defense on Indiana the rest of the game while hitting the boards hard. I have no clue what Pike said in that huddle down 24-8 and I know I was posting expletives at this team at that time in the game thread (yes I shouldnt be doing that), but that timeout and whatever he told his players was the catalyst for one of the most scintillating games I have witnessed the program win in quite some time, not because Indiana is some great team but because it quite possibly represented a tangible growth in the program building. Beating a blue blood at least in name in the Big 10 tournament...around that timeout there was a trivia question with who had the most NCAA tournament appearances and it was Indiana with like 39. And here was RU getting embarrassed down 16 and all they started to do was steal the ball, make shots, and suddenly they had the lead and all the monmentum...and then it didnt stop, RU just kept it up and up and they deserved this game so much. Corey kept making play after play shot after shot. Eugene with patience in the paint to work his shot. Geo making a big time 3 at 53-50 and then nailing his free throws down the stretch....last but not least De Sean Freeman 15 points/8 boards...as said before he was the catalyst, Corey may have been the star but DeSean stepped up head on straight and simply produced. Major kudos and good to see DeSeasn going out as a Knight like this, what a difference two weeks make since he was benched for a whole game. Also props to Pike for allowing DeSean to given another chance to contribute.

Back to Corey...omfg he has had some great games at RU where he took over but tonight could have been his best...after absolutely no showing the first 12 minutes he just turned on the focus and jets. Some of the shots and moves he made were amazing even for him. His dunk at the end to split the defenders. It was clear Corey wanted the ball and was willing to risk failure to make the plays needed to win..yes even that ill fated steal try where he fouled Indy player with 19 seconds leading to them cutting it to 3. And even as he was the man tonight, what was so great to see was that it didnt turn out to be just Corey, as mentioned before it was everybody contributing on defense and offense and fight.

Now its house money, bask in the glory Rutgers, tired legs will be a factor against Purdue but wouldnt be surprised to see the momentum and adrenaline lift get this team to play over their heads for stretches tomorrow. Its March and there is madness so that's why they play the game.

No complaints here. Cory stepped up monumentally. Freeman did as well. Eugene did his thing, Mike Williams did his thing and I will take 3 of 4... 3 pointers from Baker ANY day!

We played well back to back, earned respect league-wide & made history at Madison Square Garden this week.

Reactions: Peteyd
The thing that most impressed me from Rutgers in this one was their offense not settling for long 2 point jumpers. Only 8 total 3 point attempts, but the vast majority of the other FGAs were from within 6 to 8 feet of the rim. They didn't have too many of the 15-18 foot jumpers that are nearly a 3 but only worth 2 points if they go in that are so inefficient.

Can't embed the ESPN shot chart, but if you look at the game recap page you can see it.

I don't know hoops but I know effort. That D was impressive. With two days rest, and with that D, they could play within the point spread against any top ten team.

Reactions: RUDead
I almost smashed my TV when Sanders committed that foul at the end.

To me, there are two stats that stick out. First, the free throws. Indiana was 25 of 29. We were 14 of 18. Second, Indiana was 6 of 24 from the 3's. you could also use our 58 % from the field. WE EARNED THIS VICTORY. Great job and a nice ending to the season.

We got contributions from just about everybody who played tonight.

Sanders just on fire, 12-20 for 28 points. Absolute ONIONS with dagger after dagger.

Freeman off the bench with high energy, 15 points and 8 rebounds, and no dumb plays (except for that faux pas at the end of the first half). But perhaps most importantly, really good scrappy defense on Juwan Morgan, who had a quiet 15 points.

Geo Baker with his legs back, nails three huge 3-pointers, plus 4 clutch FTs down the stretch, with 15 points.

Eugene with four nice post baskets, giving us a post presence to balance out the perimeter offense. And making Morgan work on defense. Gene just has a knack for finishing when he gets within 8 feet of the rim.

Mike Williams with a key put back in the 2nd half and so poetic that he sealed the victory with twoFTs.

Thiam quiet on offense, but played his usual SUPERB perimeter defense.

Doorson and Sa not big in the stat sheet, but did what they needed to do on the defensive end.

The best part of this game is that Rutgers did not fold down the stretch. Indiana kept coming back,and we always had an answer, keeping our composure like a veteran team. And Sanders just carrying the team on his back.

As Pike said in the locker room celebration, “Not done yet!” One more night at the Garden, and 40 more minutes. Can’t ask for anything more.

At 24-8, the ESPN game tracker had Indy's chance of winning at over 95%. Unbelievable.

It was a tale of two games. The first 12 minutes, I am thinking I am going to bed at halftime. Then they not only cut but eliminate a 16 point deficit by going on a 21-4 over the last 8 minutes. Deshawn deserved props for keeping us within striking distance while the rest of team got going.

Agree that we got contributions from many but Sanders was lethal from the 8 minute mark of the first half and then particularly in the second half. Yeah there still some decisions that had you scratching your head but the overall performance was the type that probably opened some eyes of scouts about what he can do.

I thought overall it was good night for Pike. Not sure I understand the decision to sit Freeman at the start of both halves. I assume sitting Geo was health related although he played major minutes and hit some big shots as well. I really like Geo bringing the ball up more in the second half and allowing to Corey to play off the ball at times. I also like them going right at Morgan with Eugene at the beginning of the second half looking to pick up another foul. Eugene deliberately backed him down and hit a couple short shots which set the tone.

I have not looked at the stats but I thought Issa played well defensively and until the end of the game I thought he might have been out there for more minutes than anyone else. I don't think we got anything offensively out of Doorson, Duke or Sa and I think Shaq's minutes need to be monitored closely.

On to Purdue. Very good time with size and skill. I hope the team is sleeping much later than I did this morning.

Tonight geo was huge... his threes were answers that were needed at times when Indiana looked to be building momentum and he cut it off.

Need that from him tonight
Huge shots from him. Knowing he's nowhere near 100% and still putting it up with confidence.

Having serious doubts though about Issa. He's just not confident enough with ball in his hand.

This was the way this team was meant to play; Sanders and Freeman putting the team on their shoulders and leading the way with the talented underclassmen providing solid support. It's just too bad it didn't happen often enough throughout the season, but better late than never.

i-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together.jpg

I don't know hoops but I know effort. That D was impressive. With two days rest, and with that D, they could play within the point spread against any top ten team.

The defensive was outstanding. Great communication, switching, helping for each other. I was at the game and it was a pleasure to watch.

What a win tonight, good to feel legit and part of the Big 10.....first back to back conference win in 20 years. What a difference a week makes. It was hard not to be down on this team they way they finished with 10 losses in 11 games but the resiliency shown in the last 2 games, seems like they find ways to come back from the dead. It wasnt a game where RU won at the buzzer or trailed and then just got it at the end. This was a game that RU fought for and deserved. Unbelievably they were the better team on the court tonight. The RU faithful took over at the end wresting control of the Garden from a loud Indiana contingent who had less to cheer for as the game went on. Great to see alot of RU faithful at the end congregating and cheering on the team in the aftermath of the game.

Pikiell was downright bossin the game coaching...Well from maybe 12 minutes in on make no mistake about it, his moves, his adjustments, his substitutions and lineups were all spot on.
First time these two teams played I thought that Miller coached the pants off of Pikiell. Both teams came off of short rests and tough loss against much better opponents. Miller not only had his team mentally ready but also prepped his team perfectly on Rutgers....totally shutting them down on offense and exploiting them on defense,.

In the first 10 minutes of the game, it looked a repeat of that game. However Pike inserted Freeman into the game and it sparked just an anemic looking offense, then I was pissed because Freeman came out and then the lead went to 24-8 and Indiana looked like they would win by 30 plus. After a timeout not sure of the time, Freeman came back in, and RU started to get in the passing lines and anticipate the passes and get some steals for easy baskets. Once that happened it seemed like RU loosened up and they starting knocking down shots.

From then on RU played some pretty stifiling defense on Indiana the rest of the game while hitting the boards hard. I have no clue what Pike said in that huddle down 24-8 and I know I was posting expletives at this team at that time in the game thread (yes I shouldnt be doing that), but that timeout and whatever he told his players was the catalyst for one of the most scintillating games I have witnessed the program win in quite some time, not because Indiana is some great team but because it quite possibly represented a tangible growth in the program building. Beating a blue blood at least in name in the Big 10 tournament...around that timeout there was a trivia question with who had the most NCAA tournament appearances and it was Indiana with like 39. And here was RU getting embarrassed down 16 and all they started to do was steal the ball, make shots, and suddenly they had the lead and all the monmentum...and then it didnt stop, RU just kept it up and up and they deserved this game so much. Corey kept making play after play shot after shot. Eugene with patience in the paint to work his shot. Geo making a big time 3 at 53-50 and then nailing his free throws down the stretch....last but not least De Sean Freeman 15 points/8 boards...as said before he was the catalyst, Corey may have been the star but DeSean stepped up head on straight and simply produced. Major kudos and good to see DeSeasn going out as a Knight like this, what a difference two weeks make since he was benched for a whole game. Also props to Pike for allowing DeSean to given another chance to contribute.

Back to Corey...omfg he has had some great games at RU where he took over but tonight could have been his best...after absolutely no showing the first 12 minutes he just turned on the focus and jets. Some of the shots and moves he made were amazing even for him. His dunk at the end to split the defenders. It was clear Corey wanted the ball and was willing to risk failure to make the plays needed to win..yes even that ill fated steal try where he fouled Indy player with 19 seconds leading to them cutting it to 3. And even as he was the man tonight, what was so great to see was that it didnt turn out to be just Corey, as mentioned before it was everybody contributing on defense and offense and fight.

Now its house money, bask in the glory Rutgers, tired legs will be a factor against Purdue but wouldnt be surprised to see the momentum and adrenaline lift get this team to play over their heads for stretches tomorrow. Its March and there is madness so that's why they play the game.
You were posting vitriol and hammering our team on the game thread while sitting in the stands during the game and now you want to enlighten us with your analysis. GTFOH. You Politi type RU fans really crack me up.

GO RU

"First time these two teams played I thought that Miller coached the pants off of Pikiell. Both teams came off of short rests and tough loss against much better opponents. Miller not only had his team mentally ready but also prepped his team perfectly on Rutgers....totally shutting them down on offense and exploiting them on defense,. "

Keep in mind this was right after we lost Williams and Eugene to injury; greatly affected us that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT