ADVERTISEMENT

Big freshman classes at Rowan and Delaware

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
This Inquirer story reports that freshman classes at Rowan and Delaware are so great that a substantial number of freshmenwill be housed in triples. It also says that one-third of the entering freshmen at Delaware come from either N.J. or Pa.

triples in dorms

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:

This Inquirer story reports that freshman classes at Rowan and Delaware are so great that a substantial number of freshmenwill be housed in triples. It also says that one-third of the entering freshmen at Delaware come from either N.J. or Pa.
Is it safe to say at this point most of the Rowan and some of Delaware kids weren't getting in anyway?

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Is it safe to say at this point most of the Rowan and some of Delaware kids weren't getting in anyway?
I don't think there's a way to know that for sure. Probably a lot of those kids would have been strong candidates at Rutgers-Camden.

P.S. may I suggest the real question is this: if students are knocking so hard at Rowan's and U. Del's door, why isn't Rutgers-New Brunswick seeing the same phenomenon? Of course, there's a lot of competition for the best students, but there's a lot of competition for Rowan/U.Del quality students as well.

This post was edited on 8/24 7:51 PM by camdenlawprof

I was under the impression that Rutgers NB has capped enrollment and will not grow the undergraduate student body

Yes, but it would have been nice for the projection of first year class to have been an underestimate. Or perhaps our SAT/GPA numbers jumped this year. It will be interesting to see.

Yes, but it would have been nice for the projection of first year class to have been an underestimate. Or perhaps our SAT/GPA numbers jumped this year. It will be interesting to see.
It would be nice for the professionals who make the numbers decisions to have been right on, so we dont have to anger students by housing them in triples or off campus hotels like a few years ago, nor do we lose

So Rowan and Delaware had extra students compared to what their enrollment people thought. Maybe RU-NB rejected more people than normal and a bunch of kids who would normally have gotten in, decided to go to those schools instead.

FWIW Rutgers-NB had this problem last year. They cut their acceptance rates but then a higher % of the accepted kids ended up choosing RU-NB, so they ended up with more kids than they wanted. It is going to happen to schools sometimes and sometimes they will get fewer than projected (in which case they start calling "waitlisted" kids I think).

Just curious, have your heard anything on RU-Camden's enrollment for this academic year?

I am glad to see Rowan increasing its enrollment. They are building like crazy in Glassboro so more kids signing up to go there is great for the area IMHO (I live in Gloucester county, but not in Glassboro).

Originally posted by TonyLieske:

FWIW Rutgers-NB had this problem last year. They cut their acceptance rates but then a higher % of the accepted kids ended up choosing RU-NB, so they ended up with more kids than they wanted. It is going to happen to schools sometimes and sometimes they will get fewer than projected (in which case they start calling "waitlisted" kids I think).

Just curious, have your heard anything on RU-Camden's enrollment for this academic year?

I am glad to see Rowan increasing its enrollment. They are building like crazy in Glassboro so more kids signing up to go there is great for the area IMHO (I live in Gloucester county, but not in Glassboro).
I have heard nothing about RU-Camden's enrollments. It's not the kind of info our administration is very open about. I do know that enrollments have increased the last couple of years. BTW, I thought DerLeider's comments were well-said. But I do have the sense that a lot of those kids going to Rowan and Del are South Jerseyans who just think NB is too far away.

I don't think there's a way to know that for sure. Probably a lot of those kids would have been strong candidates at Rutgers-Camden.

P.S. may I suggest the real question is this: if students are knocking so hard at Rowan's and U. Del's door, why isn't Rutgers-New Brunswick seeing the same phenomenon? Of course, there's a lot of competition for the best students, but there's a lot of competition for Rowan/U.Del quality students as well.

I would think (and hope) this is an apples vs. oranges thing going forward. Meaning those competing for the Rowan/Delaware kid are a rung below NB.

This post was edited on 8/25 11:10 AM by e5fdny

I have heard nothing about RU-Camden's enrollments. It's not the kind of info our administration is very open about. I do know that enrollments have increased the last couple of years. BTW, I thought DerLeider's comments were well-said. But I do have the sense that a lot of those kids going to Rowan and Del are South Jerseyans who just think NB is too far away.
I suspect not. Rowan and RU-NB are not on the same level. Not that a kid that got into both won't occasionally pick Rowan, but I can't imagine a serious student (i.e. one who firmly got into RU-NB, not barely edged over the line) picking Rowan unless its for a major where Rowan excels but RU lacks (not sure what those would be.)

For Delaware - Newark isn't all that close to the major populations in South Jersey. Its really not terribly closer than NB to places like Cherry Hill. There are certainly reasons to choose Delaware. but I don't think being 15-20 minutes closer is a major one unless you are commuting.

I tend to agree with efdny.

Though some parents inexplicably pay OOS tuition for UDel when their kids get into RU...is there anything Delaware is better at or ranked higher in? Their campus is as "meh" as ours, I don't think the party scene there is better than ours, they don't have a D1 football team, and they are maybe 1-2 hours further at most for people not from South Jersey. Truly puzzling.

The only enrollment increase I want to see at RU is OOS students. And based on what I have seen, we are at least overall capping enrollment. Every other enrollment figure at every campus should shrink.

Now assuming that these kids were rejected from RU-NB I'm not about to blame them for not going to Camden. It's in Camden. That alone is enough of an issue. And I'm sure the tuition is the same as Rowan or close to it.

Originally posted by derleider:

I suspect not. Rowan and RU-NB are not on the same level. Not that a kid that got into both won't occasionally pick Rowan, but I can't imagine a serious student (i.e. one who firmly got into RU-NB, not barely edged over the line) picking Rowan unless its for a major where Rowan excels but RU lacks (not sure what those would be.)

For Delaware - Newark isn't all that close to the major populations in South Jersey. Its really not terribly closer than NB to places like Cherry Hill. There are certainly reasons to choose Delaware. but I don't think being 15-20 minutes closer is a major one unless you are commuting.
This is the jist of my argument. And neither is Delaware.

Delaware is much closer. Its in the same general area. It draws a similar student body, although obviously Delaware isnt Rutgers as far as research goes - but I think most students at both schools arent doing science, so research dollars are kind of meaningless.

Delaware is much closer. Its in the same general area. It draws a similar student body, although obviously Delaware isnt Rutgers as far as research goes - but I think most students at both schools aren't doing science, so research dollars are kind of meaningless.
I am talking more a big picture thing. And with that being said, IMO Delaware is closer to a TCNJ than Rutgers...a nice regional school that has quite a few good things going for it but is not on the level of the big boys.

For example is there a Cook-like school at Delaware? Don't know.

Delaware is much closer. Its in the same general area. It draws a similar student body, although obviously Delaware isnt Rutgers as far as research goes - but I think most students at both schools arent doing science, so research dollars are kind of meaningless.
There is a lot of non-science research going on at Rutgers, too. There are a lot of students who major in English, History, Philosophy, International Studies, etc., who want to go to a research university where they get exposure to some of the top thinkers in their fields.

Of course, if you are only interested in 13th grade, then it doesn't matter.

Delaware is much closer. Its in the same general area. It draws a similar student body, although obviously Delaware isnt Rutgers as far as research goes - but I think most students at both schools arent doing science, so research dollars are kind of meaningless.[/QUOTE]
There is a lot of non-science research going on at Rutgers, too. There are a lot of students who major in English, History, Philosophy, International Studies, etc., who want to go to a research university where they get exposure to some of the top thinkers in their fields.

Of course, if you are only interested in 13th grade, then it doesn't matter.

My understanding is that Rutgers Engineering has a larger class than projected - something like another 100 kids. More kids are choosing Rutgers and more kids are going into engineering.

-Scarlet Jerry

I am talking more a big picture thing. And with that being said, IMO Delaware is closer to a TCNJ than Rutgers...a nice regional school that has quite a few good things going for it but is not on the level of the big boys.
Yes. UD is the land grant school for Delaware and it has a College of Ag and Nat Res as well as running an extension service, etc. That said, having an ag school doesn't necessarily equate to a university being a research powerhouse or automatically add a research component that cements it as a big boy university, it simply broadens the number of natural science fields that research is being performed in.

If an ag school was a critical piece, UMich-Ann Arbor would in theory take a back seat by not having a "Cook-like" school since that happens to reside in East Lansing at Michigan State. Same with flagships such as UNC-Chapel (NC State), UT-Austin (Texas A&M), Indiana U (Purdue), UVa (Virginia Tech), etc. The universities in the parentheses are the land grant schools of their respective states and therefore have the ag school. Yet those flagships are obviously still big boys and conduct either more or less overall research than their state counterparts.

I think UD is potentially over-rated by New Jerseyans but it is still a flagship and thus disagree with you relative to the comparison with NJ colleges....I believe it is closer to Rutgers-NB than to CNJ in the type of school it is, its mission, breadth of academic offerings, etc. For a more apt comparison, my guess is a combined Rutgers-Nwk & NJIT could be on par with a Delaware.

Originally posted by RUnTeX:

Yes. UD is the land grant school for Delaware and it has a College of Ag and Nat Res as well as running an extension service, etc. That said, having an ag school doesn't necessarily equate to a university being a research powerhouse or automatically add a research component that cements it as a big boy university, it simply broadens the number of natural science fields that research is being performed in.

If an ag school was a critical piece, UMich-Ann Arbor would in theory take a back seat by not having a "Cook-like" school since that happens to reside in East Lansing at Michigan State. Same with flagships such as UNC-Chapel (NC State), UT-Austin (Texas A&M), Indiana U (Purdue), UVa (Virginia Tech), etc. The universities in the parentheses are the land grant schools of their respective states and therefore have the ag school. Yet those flagships are obviously still big boys and conduct either more or less overall research than their state counterparts.

I think UD is potentially over-rated by New Jerseyans but it is still a flagship and thus disagree with you relative to the comparison with NJ colleges....I believe it is closer to Rutgers-NB than to CNJ in the type of school it is, its mission, breadth of academic offerings, etc. For a more apt comparison, my guess is a combined Rutgers-Nwk & NJIT could be on par with a Delaware.
Thats a good example - except in a better Newark. A combined RU-N/NJIT wouldnt be that far behind RU as far as student body goes (although gain, like Delaware, it would lag significantly in research dollars.)

Johnny - how many professors did you know by name before you went to school, aside from those you happened to meet on the tour or orientation? I mean I guess you could just assume that since RU does more research, whoever you get is gonna be better as a researcher than what you would get at Delaware. Of course being a great mind and researcher doesnt mean you are a great teacher.

Thats a good example - except in a better Newark. A combined RU-N/NJIT wouldnt be that far behind RU as far as student body goes (although gain, like Delaware, it would lag significantly in research dollars.)

Johnny - how many professors did you know by name before you went to school, aside from those you happened to meet on the tour or orientation? I mean I guess you could just assume that since RU does more research, whoever you get is gonna be better as a researcher than what you would get at Delaware. Of course being a great mind and researcher doesnt mean you are a great teacher.
Der, while I understand what you are saying, as an undergrad in the Business School I still had plenty of professors that were doing research and they often brought that research to the classroom. I would imagine someone getting a degree that is more "hard science" or STEM in general is going to get exposure to a lot of new research in their respective fields, even if they are not participating in the research themselves. The same will be true for liberal arts majors, I suspect, but just to a lesser degree.

Der, while I understand what you are saying, as an undergrad in the Business School I still had plenty of professors that were doing research and they often brought that research to the classroom. I would imagine someone getting a degree that is more "hard science" or STEM in general is going to get exposure to a lot of new research in their respective fields, even if they are not participating in the research themselves. The same will be true for liberal arts majors, I suspect, but just to a lesser degree.
Like I said - if you are in the sciences then it is MORE important. But even then beyond the effect that it has one the reputation of the program as a whole, its probably not THAT important. In other words - it has an effect, in that when people have a certain major in mind, they tend to choose the best available program in that major, and the research being done by the faculty is a major contributor to that perception.

But like I said, I just havent seen alot of people going - oh - Rutgers has half a billion more research dollars a year than Delaware, theres my choice. It matters, but not directly, and its probably lower on the list than we, as a research heavy, but otherwise relatively pedestrian flagship state university would like.

That is probably true. While I think I benefited (as a student) from the research once I was there, it certainly wasn't something I was looking at when choosing schools.

*I think UD is potentially over-rated by New Jerseyans but it is still a +flagship and thus disagree with you relative to the comparison with NJ colleges....I believe it is closer to Rutgers-NB than to CNJ in the type of school it is, its mission, breadth of academic offerings, etc. For a more apt comparison, my guess is a combined Rutgers-Nwk & NJIT could be on par with a Delaware.
* Agree

+ Some flags fly better and higher than others, no?

RU = garrison size

UD = ?

I would say outside of a few NJ high schools, RU is generally way better regarded than Delaware. It surpasses it in every ranking I've ever seen. It's one I just don't get. I get TTFP a little more as cult-like atmospheres are alluring to some especially in NJ. But honestly outside of its own alums who would be more impressed with Delaware on a resume?

Also you Cook guys love talking it up lol. At RC I never really thought of Cook but for having a friend from HS that was there. Glad to know it has a positive effect.

OK, I've seen it enough times that I have to ask. What exactly is TTFP?

And, BTW, I have a niece who just visited UD and won't even consider RU. She says the campus is too dirty. She's an A- student at one of the toughest high schools in the state (Millburn) and she has an older sister who's a junior at Mason Gross and is very happy at Rutgers.

Go figure.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
I would say outside of a few NJ high schools, RU is generally way better regarded than Delaware. It surpasses it in every ranking I've ever seen. It's one I just don't get. I get TTFP a little more as cult-like atmospheres are alluring to some especially in NJ. But honestly outside of its own alums who would be more impressed with Delaware on a resume?

Also you Cook guys love talking it up lol. At RC I never really thought of Cook but for having a friend from HS that was there. Glad to know it has a positive effect.
We know. And you weren't alone in that respect. LOL

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:

You had to be there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT