ADVERTISEMENT

Big10 coverage of Rutgers is bi-polar

RedTeam1994

All Conference
Jan 15, 2021
in game coverage: commentators seemingly rooting for the other team, replay and repeatedly comment on calls that go our way but totally bury calls where we get screwed, can’t even announce some of our players names correctly (and not just cliffs), etc

Post-game: it’s an absolute Rutgers love fest. It’s absurd how much the studio guys love Rutgers. It’s effusive. Some of the studio guys loved Rutgers in previous seasons but this year they ALL seem to be on board and it seems they compliment RU much more than any other team. Far more

Last edited:
Rutgers plays ugly. They are physical and blue collar. Not fun to watch offensively when they aren’t running so they grind out wins. It’s so Jersey :)

Reactions: RUDave_01
in game coverage: commentators seemingly rooting for the other team, replay and repeatedly comment on calls that go our way but totally bury calls where we get screwed, can’t even announce some of our players names correctly (and not just cliffs), etc

Post-game: it’s an absolute Rutgers love fest. It’s absurd how much the studio guys love Rutgers. It’s effusive. Some of the studio guys loved Rutgers in previous seasons but this year they ALL seem to be on board and it seems they compliment RU much more than any other team. Far more
Decourcy is the one studio guy who does not love us, always making excuses for the teams we beat. Other studios guys are great.

The in game coverage and production was awful. The replay of the play where Pike got the T was shown once in a bad angle. At least show a few different angles to see what happened.

I wouldn’t say this is always true…Jess Settles is just a bad color guy. There were times where his PbP partner would pause to let him speak and he was just mute, and when he talks it’s either not substantial or wrong.

Reactions: RUDead
In all fairness all sports coverage and fandom are bipolar. Win a game by 1 and the fanbase is ecstatic and the media talk about a fantastic win, lose by a measly 1 point and the media doesn't talk about you in other than degrading terms and fans are miserable until the next victory.

So true. Was talking about this on drive home . Mags 3 goes in an we are all ecstatic and talking heads say how great we are. That one shot runs out and we’re all bummed and commentators have totally different tune.

Still think my OP is valid tho. It’s kinda night and day (just weird since same network )

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I wouldn’t say this is always true…Jess Settles is just a bad color guy. There were times where his PbP partner would pause to let him speak and he was just mute, and when he talks it’s either not substantial or wrong.
He's the same guy from the UMD game there was a lengthy discussion about. I think you've got it mostly right. He's a bad color guy who doesn't seem to care much about defense. But I suspect as an old school Big Ten guy who went to Iowa, he probably still sees RU as a lower tier team, and our style of play feeds into that.

He's the same guy from the UMD game there was a lengthy discussion about. I think you've got it mostly right. He's a bad color guy who doesn't seem to care much about defense. But I suspect as an old school Big Ten guy who went to Iowa, he probably still sees RU as a lower tier team, and our style of play feeds into that.
I'm almost sure he went to Northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT