ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Change in Attendance We R B1G

Rutgers leaves a lot of room between seats. At Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan they really pack them in. Think we would add 5,000 to the capacity if we packed them like in other B1G stadiums.
I'd like real seats everywhere except the Student Section. Let that stay bleachers so they can pack'em in when needed.

I've been coming since 2005 when my sister was a student.

I wanted extra season tickets before the stadium expansion and it was sold out and there was a waiting list.

While i didn't come to every game during the Ash era, i did have mini packs..

So we went from 30 to 40K... or 40K to 50K.......... SHIT WE WENT UP 20%+....

Or do these idiots whining about actuals vs distributed actually believe we had 40K before and have 40K now?
If most schools or a small number choose to present distributed because it is more convenient or a nicer number, deduct 20% if you're a negative nancy, you should be smart enough to run the numbers in your head.

I for one am very happy the last few years seeing the stadium nearly full some games.

Everyone counts tix the same way
Nobody does actual butts in seats anymore

Start winning consistently and we'll eventually get the stadium to the mid-high 60's

If that happens, the place will be a madhouse (rivaling Oregon & Virginia Tech for loudest stadiums that aren't "big")

Everyone counts tix the same way
Nobody does actual butts in seats anymore

Start winning consistently and we'll eventually get the stadium to the mid-high 60's

If that happens, the place will be a madhouse (rivaling Oregon & Virginia Tech for loudest stadiums that aren't "big")
That number IMO had passed.

Unless the suites get us there.

He isn’t abusing his position.

He isn’t banning anyone without running it by me first and I have final say on said bans.

He is allowed to have his opinion on things as he’s a fan just like you and everyone else on the board.

The last part couldn’t be further from the truth, we are one of the top B1G sites in the network. This message board serves as an outlet for Rutgers fans to talk all types of topics. Not to mention it’s the offseason, the portal is closed and other than spring ball it’s relatively quiet so yeah you’ll obviously see more OT threads.
I honestly don't know how you do it. That last part ..the horribly inaccurate comments about this board would have sent me thru the phone to smack that poster.

That’s the part I didn’t like.

A finished bowl, those suites you’re talking about, along with a few, just a few, bells and whistles and that should (have) be enough.
I would agree, but wasn't there some correlation in that the Big Ten wanted to see more seating in the stadium? Wasn't prior capacity 6,000 less than Northwestern? Of course that all changed now and the new Ryan Field will be even smaller than the current one.

That number IMO had passed.

Unless the suites get us there.
I think that would be the absolute capacity, which would include suites, regrading the one in zone to add additional seats and bring them closer to the field, and the south end zone upper deck

I would agree, but wasn't there some correlation in that the Big Ten wanted to see more seating in the stadium? Wasn't prior capacity 6,000 less than Northwestern? Of course that all changed now and the new Ryan Field will be even smaller than the current one.
No. Big Ten didn't ask for anything. It was just crap made up on this board.

Reactions: bac2therac
Yes Delany said the B1G didn’t look at the stadium expansion.
If you actually believe what he said, then I have a bridge to sell you.
You were probably one of those that thought we would be forced to play Ohio State and Michigan at the Meadowlands. Facts triumph bs Everytime.

For those of you mentioning it above, current seated capacity is 52,454. Prior to the 2008 expansion it was 41,500.

No, there was no correlation with the Big 10. The expansion was planned before that whole round of conference musical chairs got started. Schiano had an overall plan in his office to get the stadium to 85K - pie in the sky, I know, but it never hurts to dream.

For those of you mentioning it above, current seated capacity is 52,454. Prior to the 2008 expansion it was 41,500.

No, there was no correlation with the Big 10. The expansion was planned before that whole round of conference musical chairs got started. Schiano had an overall plan in his office to get the stadium to 85K - pie in the sky, I know, but it never hurts to dream.
45k per old BE it had to be 45k. we use wider seats than say PSU for instance. There is official and then there is actual

we can currently seat close to 57k with standing room only

He isn’t abusing his position.

He isn’t banning anyone without running it by me first and I have final say on said bans.

He is allowed to have his opinion on things as he’s a fan just like you and everyone else on the board.

The last part couldn’t be further from the truth, we are one of the top B1G sites in the network. This message board serves as an outlet for Rutgers fans to talk all types of topics. Not to mention it’s the offseason, the portal is closed and other than spring ball it’s relatively quiet so yeah you’ll obviously see more OT threads.
trying to follow what was going on and can't find his post. Did you delete it? I wanted to see who he was responding to etc..

45k per old BE it had to be 45k. we use wider seats than say PSU for instance. There is official and then there is actual

It was ~45K in 2006 and 2007 as they first had temporary bleachers then added a permanent 3K+ bleacher section under the hill.

trying to follow what was going on and can't find his post. Did you delete it? I wanted to see who he was responding to etc..

It was deleted: he was replying to my post that said: "So typical NJ & RU to crap all over any positive news.". See below.

Morrisknight but it was likely Morris Ash

MorrisKnight was our resident board stalker who has registered in excess of 200 plus aliases dating back years. He's very reminiscent of TSopranoRU, who was a special kind of psychopath. John once tracked down that he had registered in excess of 700 names. He used to go to other boards, register a name, start trouble over there then bring it back to our board. He also stalked John O and I on IM and social media.

It was ~45K in 2006 and 2007 as they first had temporary bleachers then added a permanent 3K+ bleacher section under the hill.

It was deleted: he was replying to my post that said: "So typical NJ & RU to crap all over any positive news.". See below.

MorrisKnight was our resident board stalker who has registered in excess of 200 plus aliases dating back years. He's very reminiscent of TSopranoRU, who was a special kind of psychopath. John once tracked down that he had registered in excess of 700 names. He used to go to other boards, register a name, start trouble over there then bring it back to our board. He also stalked John O and I on IM and social media.
no, all BE stadiums had to have 45k seating minimum as perm, not temp. It's all in how they adjusted the seat width from original footprint. I'll see if I can find something about this online. I remember the big broohah on how ours were almost 2x as wide as PSU and anyone that has been there will tell you, the guy next you is literally feeling you you're so close lol

gotcha... was wondering what happened.

I'm just glad it shows it increasing!!!! In addition to this, it's 'out there' vs other more notable schools.

win win

You were probably one of those that thought we would be forced to play Ohio State and Michigan at the Meadowlands. Facts triumph bs Everytime.
No. Never believed that.
But the stadium expansion demonstrated a commitment to football from the university and the state. If you don’t think that played a part in helping to convince the B1G presidents to vote yes on Rutgers, then we will have to agree to disagree.

As usual, the rational take. It's a shame we have some fans that can never seem to look at the bright side of things and feel the need to cast stones at anything mildly positive.
The answer is that Rutgers fans have seen too much losing for decades and simply don't react to some positive news.Filling the football stadium is very important for financial concerns and recruit perception .

No. Never believed that.
But the stadium expansion demonstrated a commitment to football from the university and the state. If you don’t think that played a part in helping to convince the B1G presidents to vote yes on Rutgers, then we will have to agree to disagree.
TV was the reason and you know it. Stadium size had zero to do with it. They didn't even revisit Rutgers before the invite.

did the OP post this one

GJb9d-zWcAAJFQq

Shockingly, the worst teams in each conference get the least favorable TV slots while teams perennially vying for the CFP get the best ones. Go figure…

it's actually 57 and change based on standing room and the way they account for the seating

Official is lower than actual actually:)
We can dream but I’d argue that if RU ever won the BIG or earned it’s way into the College playoff and hosted a playoff game in the first round against you name it SEC school, it would probably be one of the hottest tickets ever for a sporting event in the NYC metro area. If RU could fit 70k, game would sell out easily.

GO RU

TV was the reason and you know it. Stadium size had zero to do with it. They didn't even revisit Rutgers before the invite.
Whether the B1G cared about the size of the stadium is an issue of fact on which I have no special insight. But I can tell you, FWIW, that Bob Mulcahy as AD told me that the B1G was very interested in Rutgers but wanted the school to be more competitive in football. For this reason, I think Greg Schiano's success in making the program respectable was the most important factor in getting us into the B1G.

TV was the reason, and you know it. Stadium size had zero to do with it. They didn't even revisit Rutgers before the invite.
But they did come after.

And as someone who does the RV thing, such as yourself, they weren't too keen on the answers Rutgers provided with regards to that.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Whether the B1G cared about the size of the stadium is an issue of fact on which I have no special insight. But I can tell you, FWIW, that Bob Mulcahy as AD told me that the B1G was very interested in Rutgers but wanted the school to be more competitive in football. For this reason, I think Greg Schiano's success in making the program respectable was the most important factor in getting us into the B1G.
Bob wasn't the AD when the Big Ten invited Rutgers. I'll never say a bad thing about Bob was a long time friend of my parents. But Pernetti gets equal credit for getting into the Big Ten. When I say that the Big Ten didn't know or care about the expansion that is a direct quote from him at our tailgate before the Louisville game for the Big East title game where we got ripped off from the refs.
I'll take take Tim's words over any anonymous clown on here.

Bob wasn't the AD when the Big Ten invited Rutgers. I'll never say a bad thing about Bob was a long time friend of my parents. But Pernetti gets equal credit for getting into the Big Ten. When I say that the Big Ten didn't know or care about the expansion that is a direct quote from him at our tailgate before the Louisville game for the Big East title game where we got ripped off from the refs.
that's not true

for the record, there were LOTs of inaccuracies coming out of the athletic office. Dear God you have people on here who were told from said office that we had a ACC offer invite in hand lol

Tim gets zero credit, he was just in the seat

But they did come after.

And as someone who does the RV thing, such as yourself, they weren't too keen on the answers Rutgers provided with regards to that.
They did come for the signing and demanded nothing.

that's not true

for the record, there were LOTs of inaccuracies coming out of the athletic office. Dear God you have people on here who were told from said office that we had a ACC offer invite in hand lol

Tim gets zero credit, he was just in the seat
Haha. That answer shows how little you know. We have a guy on this board has Russia involved with the bridge collapse in Baltimore. Stop getting your news from football boards.

Hey, I was trying to help you! It's true that Bob wasn't the AD when the Big Ten invited Rutgers, but (unless he was lying to me, which he had no reason to do) the Big Ten had already been in contact with Rutgers. And he said the problem was competitiveness; he didn't say a word about the stadium. That buttresses your point that the stadium's capacity wasn't the key. And why would it be? My impression (maybe someone can correct me) is that road teams don't get any portion of the paid attendance. All that matters is that the stadium look good on TV.

Haha. That answer shows how little you know. We have a guy on this board has Russia involved with the bridge collapse in Baltimore. Stop getting your news from football boards.
lol ok sport, you'r right as I know nothing of how all that went down

Hey, I was trying to help you! It's true that Bob wasn't the AD when the Big Ten invited Rutgers, but (unless he was lying to me, which he had no reason to do) the Big Ten had already been in contact with Rutgers. And he said the problem was competitiveness; he didn't say a word about the stadium. That buttresses your point that the stadium's capacity wasn't the key. And why would it be? My impression (maybe someone can correct me) is that road teams don't get any portion of the paid attendance. All that matters is that the stadium look good on TV.
this is correct

Reactions: bac2therac
Shockingly, the worst teams in each conference get the least favorable TV slots while teams perennially vying for the CFP get the best ones. Go figure…

I know, unbelievable. This is outright discrimination against victory-challenged teams!

Reactions: RUDiddy777
We can dream but I’d argue that if RU ever won the BIG or earned it’s way into the College playoff and hosted a playoff game in the first round against you name it SEC school, it would probably be one of the hottest tickets ever for a sporting event in the NYC metro area. If RU could fit 70k, game would sell out easily.

Absolutely true. Hell, if we started knocking off Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, State Penn and/or Nebraska on a regular basis (obviously not all at once, but say a couple times a season) we'd see interest skyrocket in the NYC metro area.

It's true that Bob wasn't the AD when the Big Ten invited Rutgers, but (unless he was lying to me, which he had no reason to do) the Big Ten had already been in contact with Rutgers. And he said the problem was competitiveness; he didn't say a word about the stadium. That buttresses your point that the stadium's capacity wasn't the key.

You're correct, there had definitely been interest in Rutgers: hell, if the situation involving Nebraska hadn't fallen into their laps, it's quite possible we would have gotten in at that point instead of Nebraska.

Also, don't discount the stadium expansion in all of this. Yes, they weren't interested in us having a bigger stadium, but they were very interested in us having a commitment to improving our facilities. Expanding the stadium was a demonstration of that.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT