ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Speranza-Sad note of the day

RU62

Heisman Winner
Dec 21, 2001
Cranford, NJ
I was informed earlier today that fellow team and classmate Bill Speranza passed away this morning. Bill was an outstanding two sport letterwinner during his undergraduate years at Rutgers both in.football and baseball. Bill was a great QB field general who shared the quarterback duties with Sam Mudie during Rutgers great 1961 undefeated season and 1960 8-1 season. Bill then.served as a member of the Rutgers Football during the Bateman and Burns eras.

Those of us who had the good fortune to know Bill as a teammate, classmate, friend or coach can best describe him as...no one better. Rest in peace Bill.

I was informed earlier today that fellow team and classmate Bill Speranza passed away this morning. Bill was an outstanding two sport letterwinner during his undergraduate years at Rutgers both in.football and baseball. Bill was a great QB field general who shared the quarterback duties with Sam Mudie during Rutgers great 1961 undefeated season and 1960 8-1 season. Bill then.served as a member of the Rutgers Football during the Bateman and Burns eras.

Those of us who had the good fortune to know Bill as a teammate, classmate, friend or coach can best describe him as...no one better. Rest in peace Bill.
I didn't know Bill as a social friend but I did know him well when he coached on Frank Burns' staff.Really nice person.Asked him once ,at practice,when Eddie McMichaels was the QB,if he Bill,had a keeper play when he was RU's QB. He said yes, and I asked why not give that play to McMichaels. Didn't take long and he had it.Sorry that he's gone

Sorry for your loss.

My condolence to Bill Speranza's family and all that knew and cared for him.

A great man, player and teammate. Still remember him as a kid following RU football. He is still tied for 8th place AT with a 87 yard TD pass vs Princeton in 1961. I can still see the play down the Princeton sideline in front of their bench.

Condolences and prayers to Bill Speranza's family and friends.

According to 1961 Rutgers team manager Tony Oliva’s records, the number of stars rewarded for a season’s worth of “Jerichos” (an interception and runback return) was: Sam Mudie (7), Bob Yaksick (4), Pierce Frauenheim (4), Keith Krayer (3), Jon Paulsen (2), Bill Herring (1), Bill Speranza (1), Joe Kowalski (1), Dwain Painter (1) and Tom Kocaj (1). Interceptions for touchdown returns included two for Mudie and one each for Frauenheim and Speranza.

img-1849jpg-639224648ad155e8.jpg

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2017/09/did_rutgers_not_ohio_state_start_helmet_stickers_i.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT