ADVERTISEMENT

Blackshear should take the C off of his uniform

So playing in a meaningless game on the worst team in college football should trump working towards your possible future professional career? Maybe I'm off base but I understand their decision.

I mean he will be asked those questions by NFL guys. Hampton baller his ass off during 1-11 and he was captain.
I do think it is the right of the players to ask for it in today's set of rules. However, if I am a quality NFL program, I would ask about this to understand their thinking when tough times are ahead. I don't think a Coach like Belachik would be interested in such players.

So playing in a meaningless game on the worst team in college football should trump working towards your possible future professional career? Maybe I'm off base but I understand their decision.

8 games left in the season. Need 5 wins for a bowl game. You decide you have no shot and season is a waste of your career. You think you deserve to keep a captains C for this season?

They committed to play on this team and for this year, didn't they? Their decisions are their decisions, but are selfish and classless. Their scholarships should be ripped out from under their feet if the overall goal is to transfer out.

I don't. This isn't a teammate, rather a selfish individual move. I don't know how it is today but back in my day of playing that player would have been ostracized. But I must say the rules and time was different back then. So it's really hard for me to understand these types of selfish moves as being a good thing.

Wonder if this redshirt thing with him and Sit
is something they talked to the RU FB staff about and Campanile recommended to them .
Probably not, but I'm not going to rant about something until I get all the facts, not just the result
Based on the presser, I'd say Blackshear's decision took Campanile by surprise.

They committed to play on this team and for this year, didn't they? Their decisions are their decisions, but are selfish and classless. Their scholarships should be ripped out from under their feet if the overall goal is to transfer out.

Did they take an oath or something? I was in the military and am now in law enforcement. Those are commitments. These are 19-20 year old kids playing a game.. just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Well I was in the military, deployed overseas and am now a law enforcement officer. So yes, I've been part of teams, probably moreso than you'll ever understand (unless you have the same experience). These are kids playing a game.. give it a rest.
If what you say is true, your comments are even more puzzling, because members of a sports team also abide by "leave no man behind". Different circumstances, but a brotherhood nonetheless.

Did they take an oath or something? I was in the military and am now in law enforcement. Those are commitments. These are 19-20 year old kids playing a game.. just my 2 cents.
Yeah ah oh. Playing college football at this level is just game. These kids are worshiped, spoiled, treated like God on campus, special treatment left and right....housing, meals. Acedemic support, .... This behavior is PATHETIC and explains the complete lack,of commitment we've seen in game. F em.

An oath? Probably nothing like the hippocratic one or anything similar. What they did do is sign a legally binding commitment letter. I dont know the specifics of it but I think it goes something like "I agree to play for your school and your school takes care of me."

Last edited:
I’ve changed my mind on this. Given him bailing on the team during warmups. If he had talked to the coach ahead of time like AS so there was more time to prepare it would be different. Doing it hours before the game is leaving his team mates in the cold.

They are talking a good game about supporting him but I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being persona non grata. Especially as the season wears on.

Keeping him will divide the team. He and AS should be given the opportunity to change their minds and if he doesn’t he should be removed from the team and charged tuition, room and board - pro rated if he wants to stay on campus.

I’m kinda half kidding but not really.

If what you say is true, your comments are even more puzzling, because members of a sports team also abide by "leave no man behind". Different circumstances, but a brotherhood nonetheless.

Please stop comparing military brotherhood to athletic teamsmanship. They are completely different things. The goal in the military is to accomplish an objective while defending your fellow squad members and country. The objectives in college athletics are to play a game, develop friendships and if you're blessed with enough skill, play professionally. That's it. Like most in today's culture, you're both misapplying and exaggerating the word brotherhood in sports. It's a game and it's just entertainment. The only ramifications of Blacksheer's actions are that the team might lose by a greater margin than if he had played. That's all. Let the kid make whatever decisions he sees fit. Stop judging him for not making a "commitment" to playing in a game when most of us don't know him and his circumstances, and don't really consider the well being of our players outside of the context of hoping they win games for our entertainment on Saturdays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Yeah ah oh. Playing college football at this level is just game. These kids are worshiped, spoiled, treated like God on campus, special treatment left and right....housing, meals. Acedemic support, .... This behavior is PATHETIC and explains the complete lack,of commitment we've seen in game. F em.

They are only deified by people like you that are making this a big deal, judging by the visceral reaction of your message.

They are only deified by people like you that are making this a big deal, judging by the visceral reaction of your message.
Yup that's right. And I'm untitled to my opinion and to those I choose to support.
In my opinion you're totally understating the significance because you want to measure it against war.

Well I was in the military, deployed overseas and am now a law enforcement officer. So yes, I've been part of teams, probably moreso than you'll ever understand (unless you have the same experience). These are kids playing a game.. give it a rest.
LMAO. Thank you for your service but you're dead wrong here. And I'm shocked that someone who served is so cavalier to excuse quitting like this.

Anyway guys, good debating with y'all. I have my opinions on Rutgers, it's athletics program and Hobbs' hiring capabilities. Let me just say that although I think Hobbs has certain valuable qualities, I don't think he has learned the specific criteria needed to hire the type of football coach Rutgers needs.. I hope I'm wrong, and one day I'd love to have role in helping RU make these decisions. Have a good night.

Last edited:
Please stop comparing military brotherhood to athletic teamsmanship. They are completely different things. The goal in the military is to accomplish an objective while defending your fellow squad members and country. The objectives in college athletics are to play a game, develop friendships and if you're blessed with enough skill, play professionally. That's it. Like most in today's culture, you're both misapplying and exaggerating the word brotherhood in sports. It's a game and it's just entertainment. The only ramifications of Blacksheer's actions are that the team might lose by a greater margin than if he had played. That's all. Let the kid make whatever decisions he sees fit. Stop judging him for not making a "commitment" to playing in a game when most of us don't know him and his circumstances, and don't really consider the well being of our players outside of the context of hoping they win games for our entertainment on Saturdays.
You've never played on a sports team. Maybe you're bitter about that, I don't know, but it's a lot more than "a game" to the athletes.

Imagine how his teammates fell. Dude was warming up then decides not to play after being part of the game plan all week.

Even the announcer was questioning his heart.

I think having 55 kids that get to be coaches and decide when they get to play is a recipe for disaster. its better to take away the sit out a year, than what is in place with the 4 game rule.

Also, if you are a leader, when things go south, you do what you can to lead your team out through the tough times to better days, not stop trying to go elsewhere.
Why shouldn’t they make the best decision for them, the coaches do it. You think JJ made the wrong decision, it took him 4 year to play on a winning team, good for him.some of these players will leave after the season good for them, if you think we aren’t looking at a 7-ton10 year rebuild you are kidding yourself. Would you call a high school player who leave his hometown to play at a powerhouse program a quitter or someone who made a business decision
Would you consider Nick Saban a leader, remember he left a NFL team to go back to college. Coaches can leave when they have a better opportunity, why not the players. JJ made the right decision, he will get drafted after a year at O State.

As of Monday at 9:00 AM, he should have two choices. Either he decides he is back on the team as a full practice and game day player or he decides he isn’t. If he decides he isn’t, he has three days to come up with the room, board, and tuition for two-thirds of the semester. If he doesn’t come up with it, he has 24 hours to get his garbage out of his room or it will be donated to Salvation Army or Goodwill. And he has to leave the campus forever.

Reactions: RUsSKii
I do think it is the right of the players to ask for it in today's set of rules. However, if I am a quality NFL program, I would ask about this to understand their thinking when tough times are ahead. I don't think a Coach like Belachik would be interested in such players.
No comparison. You have four seasons of eligibility, and this one is being wasted. Different dynamic.

Belichick was interested in Antonio Brown, after all. Can’t get any more Me Me Me than that

Would you consider Nick Saban a leader, remember he left a NFL team to go back to college. Coaches can leave when they have a better opportunity, why not the players. JJ made the right decision, he will get drafted after a year at O State.
Yes i would. He completed 2 seasons in the NFL before going back to college. He did not quit mid season. He is no Bobby Petrino

I agree. These guys talk about a brotherhood and being brothers, but they don’t act like it.

People make bad decisions. Brothers help, guide and confront each other when a bad decision is being made. Brothers help each other to do the right thing. Brothers DO NOT blindly support the bad decision.

This whole team needs to put their big boy pants on and grow up!

College athletics is essentially a multi billion dollar industry.

That aside..... Not sure if you have kids, but lets play out your angle that its "just a game". Lets say your kid is the best pitcher on his little league travel team, but they are not very good.....with zero wins mid season and getting beat every game. Do you take him to the next game that he is scheduled to be the starting pitcher, have him warm up and then pull him during warm ups and tell the coach he needs to sit the bench until further notice and not play so you can weigh his options about trying out for a team in another town?

No comparison. You have four seasons of eligibility, and this one is being wasted. Different dynamic.

Belichick was interested in Antonio Brown, after all. Can’t get any more Me Me Me than that
Good point re Brown. I think he thought he could rehab him like Moss. Missed on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT