ADVERTISEMENT

Blame the Schiano Cult and Also Blame Hobbs

Feb 13, 2015
If you were a Greg or Bust, you deserve the same accountability that Hobbs deserves.

You never allowed a true search. You railroaded an extremely important decision by throwing tantrums over a coach who had many faults.

Personally, GS was 3rd or 4th on my list of desirable candidates. Perhaps with a true search we could have still landed on Schiano, but all of you gave him the leverage to basically do whatever he wanted. Negotiations work both ways. Yes, the deal has to work for Greg. But it also has to work for the school and the athletic department. And you all lost sight of that and put the athletic department in an awful bind.

Now Hobbs is to blame by not casting a wider net. Only interviewing Butch Jones before GS was a massive mistake. The guy has won conference titles (in the same conference as GS) and was never going to let his ego and brand become an emergency back-up plan. Butch also wasn't my choice A, but the Schiano or Bust cult has made this job so toxic for anyone who wants it.

Hobbs has absolutely bungled this. I will not fight that point. But a lot of you also did a lot of damage to the university.

If you were a Greg or Bust, you deserve the same accountability that Hobbs deserves.

You never allowed a true search. You railroaded an extremely important decision by throwing tantrums over a coach who had many faults.

Personally, GS was 3rd or 4th on my list of desirable candidates. Perhaps with a true search we could have still landed on Schiano, but all of you gave him the leverage to basically do whatever he wanted. Negotiations work both ways. Yes, the deal has to work for Greg. But it also has to work for the school and the athletic department. And you all lost sight of that and put the athletic department in an awful bind.

Now Hobbs is to blame by not casting a wider net. Only interviewing Butch Jones before GS was a massive mistake. The guy has won conference titles (in the same conference as GS) and was never going to let his ego and brand become an emergency back-up plan. Butch also wasn't my choice A, but the Schiano or Bust cult has made this job so toxic for anyone who wants it.

Hobbs has absolutely bungled this. I will not fight that point. But a lot of you also did a lot of damage to the university.

Wait, you haven’t figured out that we don’t matter?

The public meltdown over Schiano isn't helping RU out either. We still need to try to hire a good coach. But imagine what's going through the head of any prospective coach looking at the reports of RU fans and former players melting down over dreams of Schiano.

They could decide it's too toxic a situation what with the fan-base so fixed on a guy they didn't get. Who wants to take a job where the fan base already dislikes them because they aren't Greg Schiano?

Single-minded adoration of any coach is a bad thing.

Hobbs totally f**ked this up.

The correct move was to reach out to some of the better coaches expected to move up (Norvell, Clawson, Fickell, etc.) and make sure your media mouthpieces get the story out about what you are doing. If they say no, you still placated the people who didn't really want Schiano by trying for someone better. If you did get one of them to bite, the Schiano cult has to go pound sand because we got a better coach.

Instead, Hobbs tried to finesse this negotiation to end the Schiano cult once and for all. Instead, it has blown up in his face and we are in a worse position than ever. He should be cleaning out his office before today ends, but this is Rutgers.

Why should we be nice about what just transpired? Its not our job to hire the right coach. It is the AD's job and he FAILED AGAIN. Be as repugnant as you want to be. The next coach does not really matter anyway because the commitment is not there.

The public meltdown over Schiano isn't helping RU out either. We still need to try to hire a good coach. But imagine what's going through the head of any prospective coach looking at the reports of RU fans and former players melting down over dreams of Schiano.

They could decide it's too toxic a situation what with the fan-base so fixed on a guy they didn't get. Who wants to take a job where the fan base already dislikes them because they aren't Greg Schiano?

Single-minded adoration of any coach is a bad thing.

I hate to say it, because I have always talked about how we could compete with the right coach with some juice.

But, right now, I would not take this job.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
We're Tennessee 2.0

No matter who comes, with tranfers and a poor recruiting class, the NCAA and B1G may have to institute running time in games so who ever suits up doesn't die out there.

Reactions: redking and vkj91
Plenty of blame to go around andHobbs has not done a good job to date. His timeline has been off since the end of last year. Schiano should have been resolved one way or another a month ago. It was really the only reason to fire Ash that early. It is impossible to conduct a proper search in October for a college football coach.

If the mentality of the people writing the checks was Schiano or nothing from me, then they deserve some criticism as well. Making sizable donations allow you to express opinions not hire and fire. If today's temper tantrum results in a change in direction back to Schiano at Hobbs expense then it would be another dark day for college althetics. I mean who would want to be an AD at a place like Rutgers.

One thing is clear. Its either or with these two. There is no way both can be here.

Reactions: Block R
It is a true search . If not I question what the hell we are paying a search firm for ?

It wasn't a real search. There was supposedly three names as finalists and two were Schiano and Butch Jones, who would not have any reason to deny they had spoken with RU regarding the opening at head coach. Does anyone know who #3 was?

I agree with the OP that the cult was at least partially to blame. Schiano at $4M per year? That's more than he was making at Tampa Bay six seasons ago. It's madness to pay a $2.5 -- $3 million coach over $4M with all the perks he demanded. It is nearly impossible for Rutgers to do worse than going ahead with the Schiano hire.

The correct move was to reach out to some of the better coaches expected to move up (Norvell, Clawson, Fickell, etc.) and make sure your media mouthpieces get the story out about what you are doing.

I thought he wasn't able to officially reach out to working coaches until the end of the season, so he certainly couldn't publicize that there were feelers out there. The calls for "Schiano or Bust" reached a crescendo well before Halloween.

Did fans give him the leverage or Hobbs by only interviewing schiano?

As long as the objective is mediocrity.
The objective is to avoid the collapse of the program like you are seeing now. Would Greg lead them to a Rose bowl? No. But the risk of hiring another Ash now could lead to drastic consequences that you are already seeing play out. Schiano would make us less of an embarrassment so in 5 years top assistants aren't scared to come here.

I thought he wasn't able to officially reach out to working coaches until the end of the season, so he certainly couldn't publicize that there were feelers out there. The calls for "Schiano or Bust" reached a crescendo well before Halloween.
You don’t talk directly to the coaches, you talk to their representatives to gauge interest.

How Hobbs is to blame by not casting a wider net. Only interviewing Butch Jones before GS was a massive mistake. The guy has won conference titles (in the same conference as GS) and was never going to let his ego and brand become an emergency back-up plan. Butch also wasn't my choice A, but the Schiano or Bust cult has made this job so toxic for anyone who wants it.
I don't think we know what kind of net Pat's cast at this point. I think he saw tremendous fan support for Greg, huge donor support for Greg, and I think Greg's agent tried to parlay that into turning the Rutgers head coaching job into the Ohio State head coaching job from a football capital expansion perspective, and I think that seriously ignored the realities of athletics fundraising in New Jersey.

I think it's going to be A. Campanile at this point, and I think he's going to limp into the role hobbled by fans, boosters and alumni who've made anyone other than Greg a clear "not-our-first-choice" for the job -- and that's not because Pat didn't cast a wider net.

Let's find a villain we can all agree to hate: Greg Schiano's agent is a scumbag.

I will be sure to ponder my complicity as I tee it up on a beautiful fall Saturday next year.

Last edited:
You don’t talk directly to the coaches, you talk to their representatives to gauge interest.
Right. You can do behind-the-scenes reaching out. But you can't publicly announce that you are contacting the agent for Coach Smith.

So even if Rutgers was reaching out to other coaches, Rutgers wouldn't leak that until season end. Long before that you had the "Schiano or Bust" cult arranging coup attempts because Hobbs hadn't made an offer to Schiano quickly enough.

Reactions: mildone
Why should we be nice about what just transpired? Its not our job to hire the right coach. It is the AD's job and he FAILED AGAIN. Be as repugnant as you want to be. The next coach does not really matter anyway because the commitment is not there.

He hasn't "failed." He hasn't even hired a coach yet. Let's wait and see who the next coach is before we have a meltdown.

Reactions: 17Q66 and mildone
This is 100% on Hobbs. He didn’t manage expectations.

I agree 100%. Hobbs is not supposed to be some PTA parent. He is supposed to be a public figure that can handle the media and this kind of situation. That is why he is getting paid 3/4 of a million dollars.

If Hobbs really wanted to do a proper search, he should have stayed with that and not started negotiating with GS before the search/season was done. He should have replied to the GS crowd that he was doing this the right way and not jumping to any one candidate.

When they fired Ash, I thought we had hit rock bottom but Hobbs seems to have made the situation even worse. Hard to excuse him for that.

Reactions: kmsnyg and jtung230
Right. You can do behind-the-scenes reaching out. But you can't publicly announce that you are contacting the agent for Coach Smith.

So even if Rutgers was reaching out to other coaches, Rutgers wouldn't leak that until season end. Long before that you had the "Schiano or Bust" cult arranging coup attempts because Hobbs hadn't made an offer to Schiano quickly enough.
You don’t publicly announce anything. You mention it to Brett McMurphy just like you used him to get out your spin yesterday.

He hasn't "failed." He hasn't even hired a coach yet. Let's wait and see who the next coach is before we have a meltdown.
If your faith is going to be justified, he better be trying to hire someone not on that list of names they leaked as their plan B yesterday.

You are a complete idiot!

Congrats for the dumbest post of the day on a day full of them. Blaming the fans?? Seriously are you that stupid?

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
I jumped on the Schiano band wagon too. What is incredible is how Schiano went from an average unemployed coach to being a football God. And Schiano asked for what a super star coach would want. There are other coaches out there and it's not that complicated. Recruit, develop and win 3 games.

I jumped on the Schiano band wagon too. What is incredible is how Schiano went from an average unemployed coach to being a football God. And Schiano asked for what a super star coach would want. There are other coaches out there and it's not that complicated. Recruit, develop and win 3 games.
His ask was what’s needed to turn this program around. Avg coaches always have COY award, NFL HC experience, recommendations from the best coaches in college and NFL.

The public meltdown over Schiano isn't helping RU out either. .

My friends who went to LSU, Texas, USC and York, whom I was in Austin with for the LSU/Texas game in Sept - TO A MAN - feel we “dodged a bullet.”

My point? Aside from our fan base and the local RU-hating media, many people not in our “bubble” think there are better options out there FOR US than Greg. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want him here, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t turn things around, just putting it out there.

Reactions: mildone
Hobbs had from the middle of last season to the point he fired Ash this season to hammer out a deal with Schiano.... OR.. as you say.. do a thorough search.

#FireHobbs

If your faith is going to be justified, he better be trying to hire someone not on that list of names they leaked as their plan B yesterday.
I'll be ready with the pitchforks if its a bad hire but this is a coaching search, not a "hire Greg Schiano" committee. He hasn't failed yet.

My friends who went to LSU, Texas, USC and York, whom I was in Austin with for the LSU/Texas game in Sept - TO A MAN - feel we “dodged a bullet.”

And they know more than Rutgers fans for the last 20-30 years. I'm sure they weren't just agreeing with you telling you what you wanted to hear. How many of them were congratulating you in 2006? None of them? They all thought you had a "bullet" in the chamber?

-The hate is strong with this one.

And they know more than Rutgers fans for the last 20-30 years.

-The hate is strong with this one.

I don’t hate Greg. Not at all. These guys are college football nut jobs. Luce, breath, and eat college ball. Song played at the collegiate level, one coaches at the collegiate level, and they know coaching and our program very well (the good, bad, and ugly lol).

I dont think this post is about Schiano or no Schiano. The question is did Hobbs make a mess out of this coaching search to the point that he has pissed off a lot of fans and donors.

Reactions: BaseballFan913
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT