ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Blood Definition - Only 7 teams with 2 or more Nattys in past 25 years

college basketball history is more than the last 25 years...Florida was a flash. Nowhere near a blueblood
This list would be expanded to include teams like Indiana or UCLA if you looked beyond 25 years but can you really be considered relevant and a blue blood if you haven't won anything since the 60s, 70s or 80s.

What exactly does "Blue Blood" mean? Or supposed to mean?
Just wondering why it matters who is or isn't a "blue blood". And what supposed advantages they are supposed to have.

This year more than ever told us there is so much parity. Being a "blue blood" had nothing to do with UCONN winning. They were one of 40 or so teams capable on winning it all, got breaks, and played incredibly at the right time.

UCONN beat a team in the final that probably doesn't even make the tournament playing out of B12 or B1G

The non-basketball definition of Blue Blood is about your family and lineage, not your recent success.
Do you want Blue Bloods or New Bloods?

Reactions: tomatocan
The non-basketball definition of Blue Blood is about your family and lineage, not your recent success.
Do you want Blue Bloods or New Bloods?
I think the connotation is elite & storied program. In football Army and Nebraska are storied with rich histories of great seasons, but neither are elite today. UConn has done it long enough in hoops that I think they’re no longer new blood. 25 years is a long time given that “modern” American history is generally regarded as beginning after WWII in most contexts. Miami and FSU haven’t stayed atop football’s best programs for as long as UConn has in basketball. If we restrict the definition to very long-term, the Yankees, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky (bball), and Alabama & Ohio St (football) are probably the only teams in US sports to have transcended at least 3 generations and remained elite most of the while. I might be missing a few but if we go by elite & storied, the list is very small. Steelers might get there at some point. Maybe USC too. Indiana bball hasn’t been elite in some time.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
This list would be expanded to include teams like Indiana or UCLA if you looked beyond 25 years but can you really be considered relevant and a blue blood if you haven't won anything since the 60s, 70s or 80s.
UCLA won in 1995 and Indiana in 1987. If you make it to the Sweet Sixteen every year, and now and then to the Final Four, I think you can.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
UConn and Nova are what Rodney Dangerfield was in Caddy Shack...new money. They don't have the history or consistency to be one of the blue bloods.

Reactions: PaKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT