ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling BOOM -- 2022 PJ Casale To Rutgers

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you give us some insight on how good those two are mentioned in the thread, Casale or Portella?

Casale is ranked #3 at 220 by Flo. He was a state champ for Delbarton as a sophomore but opted out of the tourney as a junior. Class of 2022. Heavy favorite in NJ at 220 this year.

Portella is ranked #14 at 170 by Flo and #1 in NJ. He lost in the state finals as a sophomore and is the favorite this year as a Junior at Red Bank Catholic.

Both would be strong gets.

Good to see Goodale finally getting some hammers at the upper weights over the past couple years.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Wow, great pick up.
74 Turley
84/97 Poz/soldano,
Heavy hamilton/casale
Going to be a tough out at the end of duals!

It will be interesting to see how Goody manages everything and I'm sure he has a plan/vision (which the wrestlers/recruits bought in to) but keep in mind that Casale wrestled at 92kg in freestyle in the spring and summer, which is 203lbs so 197 isn't out of the question either. 220 probably makes the most sense for him given the weight he carries for football which basically overlaps with the beginning of the wrestling season.

It gets even more interesting when you think about Mullen, who is very close to and a training partner of Casale, potentially coming in as well at 285 the following year.

This is enormous, not only because he’s a stud in his own right but I feel like him and Mullen are basically a package deal. Especially helpful that Schiano and Goodale will likely let him do both sports.

It will be interesting to see how Goody manages everything and I'm sure he has a plan/vision (which the wrestlers/recruits bought in to) but keep in mind that Casale wrestled at 92kg in freestyle in the spring and summer, which is 203lbs so 197 isn't out of the question either. 220 probably makes the most sense for him given the weight he carries for football which basically overlaps with the beginning of the wrestling season.

It gets even more interesting when you think about Mullen, who is very close to and a training partner of Casale, potentially coming in as well at 285 the following year.
Yeah, I think that would be great tk snag both but my question would then be. Who is the odd man out? Poz, soldano, mullen, and casale but only 3 weights. 84, 97, 285.

I mean the best case would be that Turley can make and aa at 65. Poz drops to 74. Soldano slides in at 84, casale 97, and mullen heavyweight.

With that said^ I can't see Turley or poz dropping a weight. So tht scenario is probably more a pipe dream than reality.

Is that #5 ranking for Casaale for the weight class or overall?

Great get for RU....can never have too much talent in the room. It will be interesting to see what weight he goes 197 or Hwt? A year and half ago, I really thought Soldano was going to be a 174 in college, but looks like he is growing like his older brother and it would not surprise me if he was a 197(think he goes 190lbs this season). Think Poz is a 4 year 184. But as MS-RU said Casale and Mullen are very tight so who the heck knows...lol
Mullen could also play Football here(if he comes). Casale will be a full-time wrestler here.
If we want to move up in the rankings, need to get as many blue-chip kids as possible and some might not start.

Reactions: Leonard23
Is that #5 ranking for Casaale for the weight class or overall?
It's no 5 at 220 for track. And he's higher at 220 for mat scouts
Great get for RU....can never have too much talent in the room. It will be interesting to see what weight he goes 197 or Hwt? A year and half ago, I really thought Soldano was going to be a 174 in college, but looks like he is growing like his older brother and it would not surprise me if he was a 197(think he goes 190lbs this season). Think Poz is a 4 year 184. But as MS-RU said Casale and Mullen are very tight so who the heck knows...lol
Mullen could also play Football here(if he comes). Casale will be a full-time wrestler here.
If we want to move up in the rankings, need to get as many blue-chip kids as possible and some might not start.
Yes agreed, pull em all in and figure out the details later. It's a good problem top teams have. It would be nice for us to have the same "problem"

Plus, you never know who pans out or gets hurt, Etc.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Future Lineup

125 Shawver/Peterson
133 Raimo/Britton/Robinson
141 Alvarez/Olivieri/Chletsos
149 JoJo/White/Cetta
157 Kannaird/Angelo
165 Clark/Weaver
174 Turley/O'Neill
184 Poz/Janzer
197 Casale/Soldano
HWT Mullen/Hamilton/O'Donnell

Future Lineup

125 Shawver/Peterson
149 JoJo/White/Cetta
157 Kannaird/Angelo
165 Clark/Weaver
174 Turley/O'Neill
184 Poz/Janzer
197 Casale/Soldano
That is one heck of a line up and a lot of nj studs. This is Pete simon Jr, looking forward to seeing you at the matches this year Mr Messner.

Reactions: mikemessner
Yeah, I think that would be great tk snag both but my question would then be. Who is the odd man out? Poz, soldano, mullen, and casale but only 3 weights. 84, 97, 285.

I mean the best case would be that Turley can make and aa at 65. Poz drops to 74. Soldano slides in at 84, casale 97, and mullen heavyweight.

With that said^ I can't see Turley or poz dropping a weight. So tht scenario is probably more a pipe dream than reality.

I don't see Turley or Poz dropping weights so:

174 Turley
184 Poz
197 Soldano
HWT Casale/Mullen

🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Future Lineup

125 Shawver/Peterson
149 JoJo/White/Cetta
157 Kannaird/Angelo
165 Clark/Weaver
174 Turley/O'Neill
184 Poz/Janzer
197 Casale/Soldano
I hope we get a portal pickup at 165 or start taking the weight class more seriously. We haven't been good at 165 in about 5 years now.

Can’t worry about that now when one of those kids is still 2 years away from being a college student. Having a lot of talent in the room is a good thing.

Can’t worry about that now when one of those kids is still 2 years away from being a college student. Having a lot of talent in the room is a good thing.
Well, I was responding to another poster talking about the potential lineup.
And I said as much about the talent being a good problem in another post.

Anyone have an idea why he flipped? I know he was an early commitment at Lehigh and folks were talking about this over the summer, but just curious. Lehigh is a great school with tradition. That said, a Lehigh home dual can't match the Rac!

Regardless, this is a big grab for several reasons.

I hope he can bulk up like Cassar did for PSU.

Anyone have an idea why he flipped? I know he was an early commitment at Lehigh and folks were talking about this over the summer, but just curious. Lehigh is a great school with tradition. That said, a Lehigh home dual can't match the Rac!

Regardless, this is a big grab for several reasons.

I hope he can bulk up like Cassar did for PSU.
Couldn't get into Lehigh

Reactions: njsportsphan

Soldano can make 74, he would be a beast at that weight. IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT