ADVERTISEMENT

Football Bowl projections for Rutgers Football entering week 13

If we're Bronx-bound I'd say odds are overwhelmingly against BC being our opponent, at this point, which I'm pretty sure everyone would be happy about. Right? I'd MUCH rather see us play Clemson or GT. BC fans have been there twice since our last trip, as well, so can't imagine that The Pinstripe folks are actually interested in them if better options are available.

I’m guessing it’s whoever TV thinks is a better game. And who GT might play in another bowl. Don’t mind beating BC again if we have to go to the BrownStripe.

If we're Bronx-bound I'd say odds are overwhelmingly against BC being our opponent, at this point, which I'm pretty sure everyone would be happy about. Right? I'd MUCH rather see us play Clemson or GT. BC fans have been there twice since our last trip, as well, so can't imagine that The Pinstripe folks are actually interested in them if better options are available.
Great minds think alike again. Clemson would be interesting. But Rutgers needs to avenge that 1921 thrashing, losing to the Rambling Wreck 48-14. Rutgers went 4-5 this year, but beat West Virginia!

George Foster Sanford had a great coaching record, but he hit a rough patch in 1920-21. He retired in 1923 after a 7-1-1 season record, blemished only by a loss to West Virginia!

330px-George_Foster_Sanford_Sr._at_Rutgers_in_1913.jpg

Great minds think alike again. Clemson would be interesting. But Rutgers needs to avenge that 1921 thrashing, losing to the Rambling Wreck 48-14. Rutgers went 4-5 this year, but beat West Virginia!

George Foster Sanford had a great coaching record, but he hit a rough patch in 1920-21. He retired in 1923 after a 7-1-1 season record, blemished only by a loss to West Virginia!

330px-George_Foster_Sanford_Sr._at_Rutgers_in_1913.jpg
Freakin' Hillbillies!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
I’m guessing it’s whoever TV thinks is a better game. And who GT might play in another bowl. Don’t mind beating BC again if we have to go to the BrownStripe.
The "Brown"Stripe Bowl? Com'on G....be better than that....a little. I know you hate it but that's just nasty lol!

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
Now...in terms of Clemson or GT....while I'd LOVE to be in a bowl game vs Clemson...we want to PLAY GTech, and here's why:

GTech - Total D (117), Scoring D (101), Run D (128th), Pass D (51st)
And I have a good friend who is a Tech alum. We have suffered together since 2014. But if it's GT, it's on!! Unfortunately, will be out of area for the game.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Is there any scenario for Rutgers to get into Vegas Bowl? I believe Vegas gets to pick B1G team before Pinstripe

Outcomes that would help:

-Beat MD
-Iowa over Nebraska
-Illinois over NW

-At that point RU would be only be behind OSU, Mich, PSU, and Iowa
-Tied with Wisco for 7 wins (Wisco played in LV bowl recently)
-Nebraska not bowl eligible [most likely team to be in LV bowl if eligible]

I would think RU at 7-5 gets preference above all those teams except maybe NW?

Reactions: LeapinLou
Bronx Bound and if you plan it you can have yourself a great trip to NYC doing multiple activities that are just fun. It won’t be cheap but it can be lots of fun. Not looking forward to the multiple threads shitting on the bowl and all the cheapos complaining about the prices of tickets parking food tolls etc etc.

Reactions: TM514 and BornInNJ
Is there any scenario for Rutgers to get into Vegas Bowl? I believe Vegas gets to pick B1G team before Pinstripe

-Beat MD
-Iowa over Nebraska
-Illinois over NW

It’s going be the Bronx imo.

UPDATED TUES 12:35PM

Here's my breakdown going into this week:

I'm thinking it goes a little something like this (assuming Iowa, Wisconsin and NW all win their games):

Playoffs - OSU/Mich

Orange Bowl - (I can not imagine the folks in Miami passing up on them; haven't been there since 2006) ....so no Reliaquest (Outback) Bowl for The B1G UNLESS an ALABAMA (for example) goes to The Orange Bowl....THEN....that opens up TAMPA to the B1G and everyone moves up a notch!!!

Citrus - Iowa
Music City - Wisconsin (*** Wiscy can NOT go to either Vegas or Phoenix this year)
Vegas - Maryland/RU
Pinstripe - RU/Maryland
Phoenix - Northwestern (Illinois if they win on Saturday)
Detroit - Northwestern (with a Loss on Sat; Illinois with a loss ONLY IF there's not a 6-6 team (nationally) to fill the slot)

* I can't see Wisconsin losing to Minny, however, Nebraska could throw a "monkey wrench" into everything if they beat Iowa.

** If Minny beats Wisconsin they can NOT go to Pinstripe

*** I can't remember the B1G bowl scenarios being this much of a "tossup" going into "rivalry weekend" anytime in the recent past SO...WHO KNOWS??!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BeantownKnight

-Beat MD
-Iowa over Nebraska
-Illinois over NW

If everything you just listed does happen, it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

But after reading that post from @AreYouNUTS, I'd love to get GT in the Pinstripe bowl. Imagine the day Monangai would have.

Bronx Bound and if you plan it you can have yourself a great trip to NYC doing multiple activities that are just fun. It won’t be cheap but it can be lots of fun. Not looking forward to the multiple threads shitting on the bowl and all the cheapos complaining about the prices of tickets parking food tolls etc etc.
Welll....it will be a HELL of a lot "cheaper" than taking a family of 4 to Vegas...so there's that!

-Beat MD
-Iowa over Nebraska
-Illinois over NW

I would think at 7-5 we get preference over a 7-5 Northwestern, to Vegas, due to TV "eyes" (but you never know....).

BC is going to Fenway.

Here's my breakdown going into this week:

I'm thinking it goes a little something like this (assuming Iowa, Wisconsin and NW all win their games):

OSU/Mich - playoff
PSU - Orange Bowl (I can not imagine the folks in Miami passing up on them; haven't been there since 2006) ....so no Reliaquest (Outback) Bowl for The B1G

Iowa - Citrus
Wisconsin - Music City (*** Wiscy can NOT go to either Vegas or Phoenix this year)
Maryland/RU - Vegas
RU/Maryland - Pinstripe
Northwestern - Phoenix
Detroit - ???

....where NW MIGHT get screwed, and sent to Detroit, is if one of the 5-7 teams pulls off a "W." Especially Illinois OVER NW. My guess, both at 6-6, The Illini get the nod to go play in Phoenix. I can't see Wisconsin losing to Minny, however, Nebraska could throw a "monkey wrench" into everything if they beat Iowa.
RU to Vegas becomes a real possibility only if 1) Beat MD 2) Iowa beats Neb imo

If we have to play in the dreadful Brown Bowl we might as well play BC( if they miss Fenway Bowl). Pound the French!

Yes, the RU beats Maryland/Iowa beats Nebraska scenario should put us on the top line for Vegas Bowl -

However, recent articles have Northwestern as this choice here, which would not be right! - especially if they lose to Illinois.

There was another situation talked about with New Years Bowl in Tampa, where is loser of Mich/OSU did not go to Orange (say Fiesta instead), which would open up that Bowl, if PSU was still NY6, to an Iowa or Wisconsin, freeing up a Vegas or Music City spot, regardless of Northwestern.. ? Not quite sure how that works..

If Pinstripe, Georgia Tech would be the first choice, a unique opponent for Rutgers. Clemson would be more glamorous, but not a team you want to face right now…

Would this be the 3rd or 4th Pinstripe? Iowa State and ND I remember but not sure there was another or I'm thinking I'd something else.

Would this be the 3rd or 4th Pinstripe? Iowa State and ND I remember but not sure there was another or I'm thinking I'd something else.
This would be the third / 3rd Pinstripe Bowl. Iowa State and then Notre Dame, correct.

Reactions: Zak57
Yes, the RU beats Maryland/Iowa beats Nebraska scenario should put us on the top line for Vegas Bowl -

However, recent articles have Northwestern as this choice here, which would not be right! - especially if they lose to Illinois.

There was another situation talked about with New Years Bowl in Tampa, where is loser of Mich/OSU did not go to Orange (say Fiesta instead), which would open up that Bowl, if PSU was still NY6, to an Iowa or Wisconsin, freeing up a Vegas or Music City spot, regardless of Northwestern.. ? Not quite sure how that works..

If Pinstripe, Georgia Tech would be the first choice,
a unique opponent for Rutgers. Clemson would be more glamorous, but not a team you want to face right now…
What articles? Opinions out of Chicago?

GT would be the PERFECT opponent for us this year. LOVE these stats:

Total D (117), Scoring D (101), Run D (128th), Pass D (51st)

If Pinstripe, Georgia Tech would be the first choice, a unique opponent for Rutgers. Clemson would be more glamorous, but not a team you want to face right now…
If NW loses to Illinois ILL would also get a look from Vegas Bowl. RU would be the most deserving team as the 7-5 team vs both 6-6 teams but thats not always how it goes.

Reactions: BornInNJ
If NW loses to Illinois ILL would also get a look from Vegas Bowl. RU would be the most deserving team as the 7-5 team vs both 6-6 teams but thats not always how it goes.
I'm guessing:

- NW wins they go to Phoenix (Illinois to Detroit ONLY IF there's not a 6-6 team available)
- Illinois wins they go to Phoenix; NW to Detroit

Why would northwestern be a choice. They drew less than 10k at home! How many would they send to a bowl?

I think people are overestimating both OSU and UM making the playoff.
Potentially 4 undefeated P5 champs: SEC, Big 10, ACC and Pac-12.

The next level of teams against a 1 loss OSU/UM is complicated.

It’s even possible an undefeated FSU could get passed over by a 1 loss team depending on what happens the next couple weeks.

Travis’ injury doesn’t help either as injuries are take into account by the committee.

Reactions: jtung230

I might be wrong but I think we would have at least double or triple the amount of the fans that Northwestern would bring to Las Vegas.
Don’t believe they travel well. Our pent up demand would have thousands rolling into Las Vegas or Nashville.

Reactions: SF88

Doesn't matter. OSU/Mich/PSU are ALL either playoff or NY6-game bound (barring a STUNNING loss to MSU, for PSU, this Saturday).

Reactions: NickRU714
I might be wrong but I think we would have at least double or triple the amount of the fans that Northwestern would bring to Las Vegas.
Don’t believe they travel well. Our pent up demand would have thousands rolling into Las Vegas or Nashville.
My only concern with Vegas is the "family"- taking expense aspect of that trip. Hopefully - HOPEFULLY - it would be negated by the very large alumni base we have in California. Otherwise, yeah, can't imagine NW taking more fans there than we would (after, realistically, 10 years). Not a chance IMHO.

In the minority, and the Pinstripe is what it is, but playing and then beating Clemson has cache. Nuts will organize a fun pre-game in Manhattan per usual. Would cap an encouraging season with better days on the horizon. Thank you in advance!

• Love
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
In the minority, and the Pinstripe is what it is, but playing and then beating Clemson has cache. Nuts will organize a fun pre-game in Manhattan per usual. Would cap an encouraging season with better days on the horizon. Thank you in advance!
Pat - I would LOVE to play Clemson, trust me, but I think it might not be a good matchup for us TBH. Give us GTech, on the other hand, and I think Greg would be salivating. That being said....sit tight....wheels are in motion for more than 1 city (although Vegas....well....that could be a "crapshoot" for a lack of better words lol!!!

Reactions: patk89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT