ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Coleman released by Saints

New Orleans cut the 26-year-old wide receiver Sunday, according to ESPN. Coleman was released with a failed physical designation, the report says.

Sean Payton said he needs a few more weeks to heal from neck injury and could be back on the team
https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...-saints-release-wide-receiver-brandon-coleman
The release was due to a failed physical designation, and Coleman had been on the team's Physically Unable to Perform list (PUP) all summer.

Coleman has 79 career catches for 1,099 yards and 8 scores, but was never able to use his superior height (6'6) for any distinct advantage against defensive backs. He was re-signed to a 1-yr. deal by the Saints this offseason, but faced an uphill climb to make the team. In addition to superstar wideout Michael Thomas and veteran Ted Ginn Jr., New Orleans added Cameron Meredith in free agency and Tre'quan Smith with a 3rd round draft pick along with the recent signings of veterans Brandon Tate and Michael Floyd.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

But the door is still open for Coleman to return if he's able to get healthy. Coleman suffered a neck injury in the playoff win over Carolina that knocked him out of the playoff game in Minnesota, and the lingering effects are still a problem.
"He's got two injuries; he's got a hip and he's got a neck," Saints coach Sean Payton said. "Both of them are going to require some time. It'd be too early for me to say three weeks, four weeks, but his progress is going well. It's just going to take a little bit longer, and right now, with where we're at, we've got to keep making room so we can play these games."
Coleman, who has been a part of the Saints' receiver rotation the past three seasons, faces a crowded receiver room, but his knowledge of the offense and blocking ability mean the Saints will keep an eye on his recovery.
"I would anticipate that it's not the last time we'll see him," Payton said. "He and I had a good visit today, we're all on the same page."

That team is loaded with receivers now. Didn’t realize they picked up Meredith and Floyd. My guess is Coleman will need to look at other teams now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT