ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb McConnell 2018 Combo Guard

I like bigger guards as well but in driving to the hoop, you need blow-by-speed and Geo doesn’t have that. Corey somewhat had it on certain nights but while driving, he was all about the shot or didn’t have the right complement of players to dish the ball. A player like Nowell is probably a 15-17 minute guy but a player who can cause havoc and give the team a jolt of e energy. I think the kid can play at this level but of course there will be some struggles against certain match ups. He does look like he can also shoot and make his FTs and steal the ball away.

You have three spots and I don’t think you want three freshman? But I would take Hyatt, Nowell and a grad transfer with one year to play. I would take Hyatt, Bandoo and a grad transfer. I guess I would take Hyatt, McConnell and a grad transfer. I think we need to leave two scholarships open for 2019. However we get that done?
Corey only somewhat had blow by speed? What's your bar for that Westbrook?
Lol. I wish we could have multiple players near the level of Corey. That way it wouldn’t have been Corey versus 5 players with 10 seconds on the shot clock for many possessions.

after watching his highlights, I'm pretty sold on him. His style is a lot like Geo's

Here's what a trusted contact of mine relayed to me regarding the thought process that you can win with incomplete players.....I consider an incomplete player as someone who is under 30% from 3 and under 75% from the FT line.

"You can have explosive games, but if they are countered with awful games that are so far away from the explosive ones, it's impossible to build your program around that type of player".

I believe Corey would have trended more towards a consistent player, but it's impossible to expect a drastic turnaround that raises the shooting percentages where you want them to be. I think Corey will be long time Professional player somewhere, where his athleticism will carry him for awhile...

With McConnell, I would imagine that he can add some shooting from 3 and some decent FT shooting to be a positive player wherever he lands next year. He has a lot of upside that I'm sure can help RU.

Here's what a trusted contact of mine relayed to me regarding the thought process that you can win with incomplete players.....I consider an incomplete player as someone who is under 30% from 3 and under 75% from the FT line.

"You can have explosive games, but if they are countered with awful games that are so far away from the explosive ones, it's impossible to build your program around that type of player".

I believe Corey would have trended more towards a consistent player, but it's impossible to expect a drastic turnaround that raises the shooting percentages where you want them to be. I think Corey will be long time Professional player somewhere, where his athleticism will carry him for awhile...

With McConnell, I would imagine that he can add some shooting from 3 and some decent FT shooting to be a positive player wherever he lands next year. He has a lot of upside that I'm sure can help RU.
What???? You needed a trusted source to tell you consistent players are more reliable than inconsistent players. Two paragraphs to say that one sentence.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Lol. I wish we could have multiple players near the level of Corey. That way it wouldn’t have been Corey versus 5 players with 10 seconds on the shot clock for many possessions.
Multiple players who struggle to go left and shoot from the perimeter? Why would you want that?

I know he had an incredible B1G tournament but when you look at his body of work over 3 years that tournament run by him looks like an outlier.

Multiple players who struggle to go left and shoot from the perimeter? Why would you want that?

I know he had an incredible B1G tournament but when you look at his body of work over 3 years that tournament run by him looks like an outlier.

Well that’s why I used the phrase “somewhat blow-by speed” because of that weakness. But I didn’t want in any way to diminish the good play we got from Corey over the 3 years. We need players who can take over and score and Corey did that at MSG. Sure, going left from another pg is needed. Michigan and most other big 10 opponents have what we need.

I’m not sure McConnell is the total answer but between him and Geo and Mathis maybe they can work out? I still want the penetrating guard we desperately need.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Just watched some tapes on Mcconnell and man does he have some range with that shot. He's long, smooth and can PASS. He looks like a big point guard. Not an elite athlete but has great bball IQ. Sort of like Mulcahy. Seems like Pikiell has his types.

I think McConnell is a step or 2 ahead of the guards we targeted and missed on as true PGs...he will need to buy in defensively which I'd imagine would be OK.....he has long arms to shoot over smaller guards and extensive shooting range....he should also bother some smaller guards trying to shoot over him...question is can he stay in front of a lot of guards, on the ball.

At end of the day, he's ranked in the Top 175-200 range for a reason...RU fans want potential shooter from 3 point range that can play either guard position , he is clearly that.

We are also replacing Souf and Bullock and Dadikas minutes with a somewhat ready to go 4 year player that if RU wants to show a 3 guard look more, you have another 6'5" guard that can do that....Baker Mathis Kiss and potentially McConnell gives 4 scoring threats at guard.

If you add a grad transfer or JUCO to help in the front court. (Ideally a hybrid 3-4 man, with some decent touch) and McConnell, most possessions would have 4 scoring threats on the court.

Full game footage of Caleb #2 in blue. Pass first point guard, has length, 3 point shot is not his strong point. Mid range game and penetration is strong. Looks to pass and controls the pace of the game. Like how he hit is free throws and hit a three in the 4th quarter. BB IQ appears to be high.

He may have had an off game from 3 in this clip but I believe he shot 45% from 3 in his junior season. I have to find the stats.—Found it on maxPreps. As a Junior he took 97 threes and make 48%

Last edited:

Actually the conversation was a little more detailed from a conversation one of my contacts had about where RU is and was with a Hall of Fame Coach, who I would guess, has a good idea on where things stand in college hoops.....The point being that Sanders is a huge loss, because of the lack of playmakers around him BUT, you cannot build a program around an incomplete player carrying sub 20% from 3 and sub 70% from FT line, as your lead guard, primary ball handler....

Reactions: Goku

I couldn't agree with this more. It is what I believe said in a nicer way.

Reactions: kcg88
Just watched some tapes on Mcconnell and man does he have some range with that shot. He's long, smooth and can PASS. He looks like a big point guard. Not an elite athlete but has great bball IQ. Sort of like Mulcahy. Seems like Pikiell has his types.

Mulcahy is missing the outside shot....but he is still young.

Actually the conversation was a little more detailed from a conversation one of my contacts had about where RU is and was with a Hall of Fame Coach, who I would guess, has a good idea on where things stand in college hoops.....The point being that Sanders is a huge loss, because of the lack of playmakers around him BUT, you cannot build a program around an incomplete player carrying sub 20% from 3 and sub 70% from FT line, as your lead guard, primary ball handler....
I would agree with this and we’ve had such a bad stretch of years and Corey had such little talent around him. It would have been interesting to see what Corey might have been like on a better college team. Keep in mind that he was doubled every chance possible by opponents and in many situations with the shot clock ticking down it was Corey on five. We couldn’t even set picks for him 70% of the time. The struggle Corey will have trying to make the nba is that every guard can knock down the 3 pointer and the line is further away. Plus the poor FT% is not tolerated especially from a guard. One player doesn’t get it done in the Big 10.

I would have liked to have watched Corey playing with better shooters like Kiss, Harper and Mathis and second year Baker and third year Thiam plus maybe McConnell? But that’s not happening so we are going to have to grow up quickly and see what happens. At least Geo has a year in and Kiss was able to watch the pace of play and practice with the team. We will be a lot stronger after 2018 and that’s a good base of talent for 2019. Hopefully Doucoure has a big leap and Myles is as good as we are hearing.

McConnel could be a game changer. Much better game and higher ceiling than Macclung and Tai Strickland. Reminds me of a 2019 Paul Mulcahy but a better shooter.

This would be a huge get if Pikiell can land him.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Would play next year primarily as a facilitator, and outside shooter.

He would have to adjust to the game physically, but he would still contribute.

Did we offer? Still don't see anything saying we offered yet.

Pretty sure we’ve offered. I don’t think the kid would take an official visit if we didn’t offer. I think Pikiell went out to Ohio to visit him and he offered.

I don't see it anywhere either. Kid didn't Tweet about an offer and neither did his HS basketball Twitter page nor his AAU Twitter page. If Rutgers offered him and he didn't post it on Twitter or Instagram, he'd really be a really different kind of kid.

Which would be refreshing.

Reactions: AD888
I think McConnell is a step or 2 ahead of the guards we targeted and missed on as true PGs...he will need to buy in defensively which I'd imagine would be OK.....he has long arms to shoot over smaller guards and extensive shooting range....he should also bother some smaller guards trying to shoot over him...question is can he stay in front of a lot of guards, on the ball.

At end of the day, he's ranked in the Top 175-200 range for a reason...RU fans want potential shooter from 3 point range that can play either guard position , he is clearly that.

We are also replacing Souf and Bullock and Dadikas minutes with a somewhat ready to go 4 year player that if RU wants to show a 3 guard look more, you have another 6'5" guard that can do that....Baker Mathis Kiss and potentially McConnell gives 4 scoring threats at guard.

If you add a grad transfer or JUCO to help in the front court. (Ideally a hybrid 3-4 man, with some decent touch) and McConnell, most possessions would have 4 scoring threats on the court.
Think Stricklad is much better.

We have three open scholarships in April. We should be giving out offers like candy to anyone like McConnell who can play and receptive to our pitch.

We definitely should have at least 2 scholarships for 2019 so we would need to save one or give the third one to a post grad. Our only other scholarship opening next year will be the one Doorson has.

Catch and shoot. Catch and shoot. Tall player. Need to stop playing with 1 hand behind our back with guards that can't shoot.

I am excited. I realize I'd look good in a tape like this, but....I am excited

Reactions: higgins3
Catch and shoot. Catch and shoot. Tall player. Need to stop playing with 1 hand behind our back with guards that can't shoot.

He has some bombs in there. I am excited as well about this potential late get. Long arms in active passing lanes, no look passes to Mathis, facilitates,etc.

This is a player who Rutgers never had but the opponents did. Let’s go Pikiell!

Excited?, Okay...what did you do with the real FIG? lol

ADVERTISEMENT