ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Again sorry, missed the game to speak at an event.
How is it Caleb played only 12 minutes?
Both newcomers played 19 and 20 minutes?

Caleb needs more time on the floor.

He was good defensively and rebounding, but his shot was off last night (like everyone else).

Still, he should play more.

I just said this in the Young or mulcahey thread. I didn’t see him do anything wrong but Pike did speak to him at one point. Sat for a long time then played last minute to cover the 3’s. I think he’ll get his minutes.

Caleb was very tentative. Had opportunities early to get to the hoop/get a shot off and didn't take them. I think that's why he didn't play much.

Caleb needs more PT. Him and Gio are the only guys who can shoot. Mathias quietly had a good game. Mulcahy was wonderful for his first game. I know its blasphemy on this board, but Harper gets way too much leeway when he's going bad.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Caleb should be close to leading the team in minutes every night imo. I'm not high on young as a lot here are. I think his best asset is his defense when he's locked in, his best role in energy guy off the bench for 15 mins a night.

Geo- 30
Caleb- 30
Mulcahy- 21
Ron- 30
Yeboah- 20
Myles- 24
Shaq C- 15
Young- 15
Mathis- 15
Duke/Kiss- DNP more often than not

By the time the calendar turns I think we see young playing less and mulcahy playing more

Reactions: JQRU91
Caleb seemed lost last night. However, I think he's the best natural shooter on the team. Lots of guys had so-so games last night, but I think they'll all reach the level we saw them play at last year. Mulcahy and Yeboah earned more PT imo based on last night. The team will get it together, but it may take a few games.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Caleb needs more PT. Him and Gio are the only guys who can shoot. Mathias quietly had a good game. Mulcahy was wonderful for his first game. I know its blasphemy on this board, but Harper gets way too much leeway when he's going bad.

That's how I feel about Geo with regards to leeway.

I like Harper's shots though. Very low percentage of poor quality looks. He plays in control, same with Caleb. Mathis has the worst shot selection.

Very encouraged by Paul. Early on last year, Caleb looked like it was his 1st time touching a basketball. It was truly scary and look where he ended up. To me, Paul is starting at or above Caleb's current level.

How about Young's "dunk"? :Shocked
The announcers talked about a speeding car without a steering wheel.

Caleb started the game. If the coach didnt give him more minutes, theres a reason, despite geniuses on this board.

Reactions: knight82
Caleb, did something that pissed off Pike like I have never seen. He grabbed him when he was taking him out and held him close as he was chewing him out. Pike made a big mistake. He sat Caleb for the last 13 or so minutes until the last possession and put him in for defense. He let Young stay in when he was totally out of control , then took him out, and put him right back in, over Caleb and Paul. Pike is adjusting to this roster with a lot of interchangeable parts and it will take time , but sitting Caleb was ridiculous and stupid and his coaching the last 12 minutes was atrocious. I love Pike and almost all of his coaching and who he plays in crunch time and adjustments he makes. Yesterday was not his finest hour and one of the worst coached games in his 4th year. Caleb will be a stud for us this year , but he cannot do it on the bench.

Caleb should be close to leading the team in minutes every night imo. I'm not high on young as a lot here are. I think his best asset is his defense when he's locked in, his best role in energy guy off the bench for 15 mins a night.

Geo- 30
Caleb- 30
Mulcahy- 21
Ron- 30
Yeboah- 20
Myles- 24
Shaq C- 15
Young- 15
Mathis- 15

By the time the calendar turns I think we see young playing less and mulcahy playing more
You’re too light with Montez and too heavy with Caleb.

Reactions: bac2therac
Caleb's game was "off" last night. Pike made the decision on limiting his minutes as the game progressed based on how he was playing in that game. Do not read into this moving forward. The fact that he started the game shows what they think of his "big picture" potential.

On the other hand, Mulcahy "earned" his (more than expected, to some) minutes.

Watch the game replay, and you will see and understand.

regarding Young...I can't believe Pike kept played him all game. What a Sh!Tshow that was.

I'm not sure if coach was chewing Caleb out or giving him an emphatic pep talk. We have to remember we had 4 sophs starting and confidence can sometimes come and go. Harper was struggling too... 4-11 on free throws and he's a good FT shooter. Coach is trying to gets us tougher and confident. He loves it when a player shows a little swagger.

Geo- 30
Caleb- 30
Mulcahy- 21
Ron- 30
Yeboah- 20
Myles- 24
Shaq C- 15
Young- 15
Mathis- 15

Caleb was good in his role last year which was not playing starting minutes...that does not mean he is ready to take on the task of playing 30 minutes, doesnt mean he will not eventually but he will have to earn those minutes. I trust Pike for he may be seeing things we dont see

regarding Young...I can't believe Pike kept played him all game. What a Sh!Tshow that was.
Two reasons:

1. He sat a year and needs to get his legs back (ie control)

2. Only he and Baker could cover the quick guards

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT