ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Spencer # 53 to the Pistons.

Cam came to Rutgers helped it be a good team and left for a better one.
In today's mercenary college basketball world no one should be upset he did.
Leaving the team for greener grass is what he did when he left Loyola of Maryland and transferred to RU.
Spencer graduated from Rutgers, but NBA fans will consider him a UConn man because that school was his last stop in his college career and the school listed when he was drafted by a NBA team.

I think Cam is on Memphis.

Best of Luck,
Groz
Memphis moved up to draft him.

Edey and Spencer together!

RW4OPWXQIZEGZNEPL3D3GDWFOY.jpg

Edey and Spencer together!

RW4OPWXQIZEGZNEPL3D3GDWFOY.jpg
Both were very good college players , Spencer helped put UConn over the top with his play ad Edey carried his team to the NC game , but some so-called NBA experts wonder if they will have the speed to be top players.
Though Spencer's shot ( especially the 3) is considered NBA quality, which the Grizzlies need and Edey's size can help Memphis .
Both might thrive in Memphis , Edey as the center allowing Jaren Jackson more freedom in the front-court while Spencer's threat of threes , when he's in, will help open up the floor for Morant

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Was mad when he transferred, but not as much now. If it was only to win a championship, or make a little more NIL money, then upset. But he most likely would not have been drafted if he had stayed at RU. The exposure he got at UCONN got him to the NBA. It is tough to blame someone for that..

Leaving the team for greener grass is what he did when he left Loyola of Maryland and transferred to RU.
Spencer graduated from Rutgers, but NBA fans will consider him a UConn man because that school was his last stop in his college career and the school listed when he was drafted by a NBA team.
The issue is WHEN he left. Yes, I CAN be upset at that because he torpedoed the season with the timing and totally screwed the coaching staff. There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. He chose the WRONG way.

The issue is WHEN he left. Yes, I CAN be upset at that because he torpedoed the season with the timing and totally screwed the coaching staff. There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. He chose the WRONG way.
Oh, who f’ing cares at this point?

You guys with the “when” and the “how” he left. Get over it. It was not helpful but whatever. He was a kid. He left for his own reasons and it worked out extremely well for him.

The ups and downs of Rutgers sports just doesn’t hugely impact my quality of life.

You guys with the “when” and the “how” he left. Get over it. It was not helpful but whatever. He was a kid. He left for his own reasons and it worked out extremely well for him.

The ups and downs of Rutgers sports just doesn’t hugely impact my quality of life.

I agree. In fact why do people here care where Cam Spencer was drafted? He was a guy that passed through Rutgers for a single season and will very likely have a basketball affiliation to UConn and not Rutgers going forward. Not sure why some here seem obsessed with him.

I agree who cares but he wasn’t a kid. He was a 23 year old college graduate.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and Smols
I thought the interesting thing leading up to the draft was that Spencer was being mocked to be drafted ahead of Tristan Newton. It didn't end up that way, but that was funny with so many just saying Cam was just along for the ride. Happy for him to get a chance.

Last edited:
I understand your point and I had hard feelings myself over the way he left.
But then considered the fact Cam helped RU win , but not enough to make the dance and didn't ever help the team win in the NIT.
Seeing how he left LOM to further his career by transferring to Rutgers , it's easy to see Cam Spencer is part of the new breed of ( pro- amateur) college athletes that looks out for his/her own interests just like a pro athlete does.
Loyalty to the program is based on no other program offering him a better deal.
Making me look at his leaving more like a business decision , then a rejection

Was mad when he transferred, but not as much now. If it was only to win a championship, or make a little more NIL money, then upset. But he most likely would not have been drafted if he had stayed at RU. The exposure he got at UCONN got him to the NBA. It is tough to blame someone for that..
I agree there is no chance in hell he gets drafted if he stayed at RU. He won a national championship and got drafted to the NBA. His decision to transfer couldn't have worked out any better for him.

Sucks for us but you can't say he didn't make a fantastic decision for himself.

when he’s playing in the NBA and occasionally Rutgers gets mentioned as the place he broke out, it won’t be bad for us. Long term gain.

This past season was headed for dumpster fire with or without him.

Reactions: mikeyo
Y
Is that about where complementary college players usually get drafted?
Yup, combination of a weak draft class and when their value gets super hyped playing on a two time national championship team. His stats were largely the same as last year. What was his draft projection after last season?

Reactions: LeapinLou
Y

Yup, combination of a weak draft class and when their value gets super hyped playing on a two time national championship team. His stats were largely the same as last year. What was his draft projection after last season?
Kind of funny that a dominant force like Kofi Cockburn couldn't get drafted but Cam did, lol. I wonder if Kofi would have had better luck if this was his coming out year.

I agree there is no chance in hell he gets drafted if he stayed at RU. He won a national championship and got drafted to the NBA. His decision to transfer couldn't have worked out any better for him.

Sucks for us but you can't say he didn't make a fantastic decision for himself.
And that’s how he should be judged. Looking out for #1 is inarguably the right thing for anyone to do. He owed Rutgers and the fans nothing beyond his scholarship year. The timing and manner of his move is irrelevant.

Kind of funny that a dominant force like Kofi Cockburn couldn't get drafted but Cam did, lol. I wonder if Kofi would have had better luck if this was his coming out year.
Edey has some moves, touch and shooting ability. Kofi and Cliff do not. Big difference. If anyone, he reminds me of Tim Duncan (but obv hasn’t played a single game yet compared to a HOF player). Not overly athletic but skilled for his size.

Can’t compare any of them to Cam. Completely different skill set and role on a team.

Some people just refuse to understand this. I have absolutely ZERO idea why people are “happy” for him. He was a 1 year mercenary who obviously didn’t give a shit about Rutgers - but some RU fans are “happy” for him? What is wrong with these people? I don’t get it. I don’t actively root against him (I have others things to occupy my mind). But the timing of his transfer f$&ked Rutgers. Thus he’s dead to me annd cant even imagine being “happy” for him.

Regarding his NBA chance: I say this despite my distaste for how he went about the transfer (as I would have felt this had he stayed)….. I just don’t see how he is going to stay in front of NBA guards.

Last edited:
Y

Him getting drafted is all about this being the weakest draft class in years.

Having said that, I do hope he sticks. I don't hold a grudge and want to see all our former players do well. Can't hurt to have our former guys, albeit a one year rental, in the NBA.

Some people just refuse to understand this. I have absolutely ZERO idea why people are “happy” for him. He was a 1 year mercenary who obviously didn’t give a shit about Rutgers - but some RU fans are “happy” for him? What is wrong with these people? I don’t get it. I don’t actively root against him (I have others things to occupy my mind). But the timing of his transfer f$&ked Rutgers. Thus he’s dead to me annd cant even imagine being “happy” for him.

Regarding his NBA chance: I say this despite my distaste for how he went about the transfer (as I would have felt this had he stayed)….. I just don’t see how he is going to stay in front of NBA guards.

I think we’ve learned that if you tell Cam he’s not good enough to do something, he’s going to find a way to do it as an “f u”.

Well said. If they'll do it for you, they'll do it to you.

Pretty sure Cockburn is straight… I saw a photo of him with his girlfriend 😉

Honestly, if he even makes it onto a roster, NBA fans won't really think twice about his college ever again.

Other than the Knicks-Villanova thing, most fans couldn't tell you what schools NBA super stars went to. Let alone 2nd round picks.

Sadly, considering Ace/Harper, fans don't really care.
It's not even like SNF or MNF where players announce their college.
I guess during player introductions live at a game but that's a passing mention only for starters.

Reactions: RAC93 and MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT