ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cam Spencer appearing on 2024 NBA mock draft boards

Ok if this is the place to share your feelings , I guess that’s great !
Btw.. unlike many posters here I do not mind any of the threads about former Rutgers players like EO, Kiss, JY, Paul etc. I like seeing what they are doing. So an update thread about Former Rutgers One Year standout Rutgers grad Cam Spenser doesn't bother me 😄

Who cares about credit or perceived credit ? Just sticking to the facts here.
Cam is a Rutgers grad like many here and kids/parents of people here . The hate or negativity towards the guy is unreal . He also hit one of the biggest shots in Rutgers history at Purdue. More than many of us accomplished in our time on the banks.

The guy made a great business decision. Credit the rutgers graduate
Cam graduated, so he deserves credit for obtaining his Rutgers degree having credits from LOM helping him earn his Rutgers degree and that's a fact that needs to be recognized, not ignored
Spencer made a decision to leave LOM for Rutgers in order to play at a higher level and receive the type of exposure he felt playing for the Greyhounds wouldn't give him.
So you should understand Cam already had a plan and when he felt Rutgers didn't offer him what he wanted, it was off to see what he could get and Connecticut beat the competition.
One mustn't ignore the facts of Cams college experience leading up to being a graduate student playing for the UConn basketball team.

The fact is : right now Cam Spencer is a RU Grad, but a UConn man who at one time was a Greyhound recruit.
Cam deserves credit for helping RU MBB be a good program while he was on the roster, just like Loyola of Maryland fans should consider him to have been an asset while he played for the Greyhounds and as a student retaining the eligibility to be on the roster.
Husky fans also must feel good that Cam picked them to finish his college career.
Yes Spencer made a good business decision, he proved capable of doing that when he decided to leave LOM for RU and the exposure of being in a B1G Conference program

I don't wish him success nor failure as a basketball player, just hope his RU Degree
can help him in the business world if his basketball career ends after he leaves the college game.

I doubt anyone hates Cam for leaving, most should understand college sports is a mercenary world now and Spencer became one the moment he decided to leave LOM,.
But I feel most are disappointed that he left RU for the UConn experience and being a loyal RU Grad wasn't in play when he started looking for other programs to take his talent to rather than stay at Rutgers.

Last edited:
Btw.. unlike many posters here I do not mind any of the threads about former Rutgers players like EO, Kiss, JY, Paul etc. I like seeing what they are doing. So an update thread about Former Rutgers One Year standout Rutgers grad Cam Spenser doesn't bother me 😄
I’d probably find it less annoying if it wasn’t the second Cam Spencer thread created this week.

Cam's offensive rating, a statistical measure of a player's offensive production, has blasted to #1 out of thousands of division 1 players. A month ago, Cam ranked #7.

Cam's game is peaking in the right place, a UConn shirt, at the right time, the March before the NBA draft.

Recently, mock draft experts are adding Cam to mock draft boards.

When Cam entered portal last year, most TKR posters believed Cam was chasing $. I disagreed, arguing persuasively and accurately Cam was following his older brother Pat's pursuit of the NBA. A few weeks ago Pat - who played less than a year of college basketball and is 27 years old - made his NBA debut with the Golden State Warriors.

That’s great. Good for him.

So one person, essentially.
A lot more than one.

Let us take a fresh look at the responses to the May 19, 2023, post titled, "Cam Spencer enters transfer portal"

To make a review of the hundreds of comments easier, I provided a guide.

47 "Gavin Griffiths is taking his spot"
66 "Tampering, lying, n cheating one helluva combo!!" - RHJ
68 "This 'kid' is a quitter and we'll move on fine without him"
84 "RU already added Noah and Gavin. That makes this a better shooting team than last year already. Simpson should shoot better too"
114 "Griffiths is going to replace Spencer’s impact"
117 "And then he has a great Freshman season" - Poster on Gavin
124 "Spencer for us is close to irreplaceable someone who actually shot over 40% from 3"
129 "zero chance Griffiths steps in as a true frosh and completely replaces Cam"
140 "He is a full level below GG and maybe 2 levels" Poster comparing Gavin to Cam
144 "The 20th ranked recruit in the country is going to have trouble replacing Cam? Get real" - Another GG-Cam compare
175 "Gavin will easily replace Cams scoring output"
233 "Griffith will take those minutes easily and then you guys will not even miss Cam"
245 "I’m not that upset about losing Spencer...can’t create his own shot. Means it’s easy to guard against him"

I’m happy for Cam. As disappointing it was to see him leave, he did the right thing for his future. Playing at UCONN this year and proving he’s one of the best pure shooters in college will reap benefits for him as a second round pick in the NBA.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Cam's offensive rating, a statistical measure of a player's offensive production, has blasted to #1 out of thousands of division 1 players. A month ago, Cam ranked #7.

Cam's game is peaking in the right place, a UConn shirt, at the right time, the March before the NBA draft.

Recently, mock draft experts are adding Cam to mock draft boards.

When Cam entered portal last year, most TKR posters believed Cam was chasing $. I disagreed, arguing persuasively and accurately Cam was following his older brother Pat's pursuit of the NBA. A few weeks ago Pat - who played less than a year of college basketball and is 27 years old - made his NBA debut with the Golden State Warriors.
He owes it all to Rutgers and Pikiell. Hope he gives bigly to the RU NIL.

A lot more than one.

Let us take a fresh look at the responses to the May 19, 2023, post titled, "Cam Spencer enters transfer portal"

84 "RU already added Noah and Gavin. That makes this a better shooting team than last year already. Simpson should shoot better too"
124 "Spencer for us is close to irreplaceable someone who actually shot over 40% from 3"
129 "zero chance Griffiths steps in as a true frosh and completely replaces Cam"
140 "He is a full level below GG and maybe 2 levels" Poster comparing Gavin to Cam
144 "The 20th ranked recruit in the country is going to have trouble replacing Cam? Get real" - Another GG-Cam compare
233 "Griffith will take those minutes easily and then you guys will not even miss Cam"
245 "I’m not that upset about losing Spencer...can’t create his own shot. Means it’s easy to guard against him"
Some of those seem to be on your side but ok, fine, more than one. Has this not been hashed out enough already?

Some of those seem to be on your side but ok, fine, more than one. Has this not been hashed out enough already?
You are correct. Some TKR posters predicted correctly Cam would be difficult to replace, and I want to highlight these comments too.

Reactions: fluoxetine
He owes it all to Rutgers and Pikiell. Hope he gives bigly to the RU NIL.

“He owes it all”. Couldn’t agree more. Because Pike was with him every day from age eight (guessing) on shooting jump shot after jump shot on the hoop on his driveway that Pike erected.

“He owes it all”. Couldn’t agree more. Because Pike was with him every day from age eight (guessing) on shooting jump shot after jump shot on the hoop on his driveway that Pike erected.
Pike erected-- huh, huh. He got to the top of Pike's Peak!!!!

As I said, he owes Rutgers and Pike B1Gly. Pike gave him his first B1G shot and allowed him to flourish on a B1G stage. Time for Cam to pay RU Back!!!

Reactions: G- RUnit
No one is disputing your fact. I recognize he graduated from Rutgers. I still am not rooting for him. To be clear, I’m not specifically rooting against him either. I just wish people would stop stirring up shit by bringing him up here.
I didn’t bring him up . And I don’t think it’s “stirring up shit” by bringing up one of the guys
Cam graduated, so he deserves credit for obtaining his Rutgers degree having credits from LOM helping him earn his Rutgers degree and that's a fact that needs to be recognized, not ignored
Spencer made a decision to leave LOM for Rutgers in order to play at a higher level and receive the type of exposure he felt playing for the Greyhounds wouldn't give him.
So you should understand Cam already had a plan and when he felt Rutgers didn't offer him what he wanted, it was off to see what he could get and Connecticut beat the competition.
One mustn't ignore the facts of Cams college experience leading up to being a graduate student playing for the UConn basketball team.

The fact is : right now Cam Spencer is a RU Grad, but a UConn man who at one time was a Greyhound recruit.
Cam deserves credit for helping RU MBB be a good program while he was on the roster, just like Loyola of Maryland fans should consider him to have been an asset while he played for the Greyhounds and as a student retaining the eligibility to be on the roster.
Husky fans also must feel good that Cam picked them to finish his college career.
Yes Spencer made a good business decision, he proved capable of doing that when he decided to leave LOM for RU and the exposure of being in a B1G Conference program

I don't wish him success nor failure as a basketball player, just hope his RU Degree
can help him in the business world if his basketball career ends after he leaves the college game.

I doubt anyone hates Cam for leaving, most should understand college sports is a mercenary world now and Spencer became one the moment he decided to leave LOM,.
But I feel most are disappointed that he left RU for the UConn experience and being a loyal RU Grad wasn't in play when he started looking for other programs to take his talent to rather than stay at Rutgers.
Are you drunk ??

The Loyola Greyhounds can brag about starting Cam on the way to the NBA, if he's drafted or wins a spot on a team's roster after making the roster because of a tryout performance or play in the G-League
Loyola also had a guy Cam played with, Santi Aldama, go in the first round, and he is actually doing pretty well in the NBA.

Reactions: cm_13
I didn’t bring him up .
I didn't say you did.
And I don’t think it’s “stirring up shit” by bringing up one of the guys
If people were posting about Cam Spencer because they are truly happy he's doing well, then fine. I don't really care but I have no issues with that. But as far as I can tell people are more often bringing him up around here to either (a) rehash arguments from last summer about how difficult he'd be to replace or (b) take thinly veiled (and frankly nonsensical) shots at Pike.

I didn't say you did.

If people were posting about Cam Spencer because they are truly happy he's doing well, then fine. I don't really care but I have no issues with that. But as far as I can tell people are more often bringing him up around here to either (a) rehash arguments from last summer about how difficult he'd be to replace or (b) take thinly veiled (and frankly nonsensical) shots at Pike.
You are speculating why people bring him up . I bring up the facts. Facts matter.

I didn’t bring him up . And I don’t think it’s “stirring up shit” by bringing up one of the guys

Are you drunk ??
I'm with you on him being a Rutgers graduate, and if he makes it to the NBA, we can say that Rutgers has a Rutgers grad in the NBA.

It's no different than Rutgers claiming Jonah Jackson as a Rutgers grad, even though he grad transferred to Ohio State and Ohio State is listed as his college with ESPN.

Well, maybe it's a little bit different because Jonah spent the majority of his career at Rutgers, but Rutgers claims Gus Edwards, and he only spent a year at Rutgers to get his graduate degree.

Reactions: Plum Street
NBA scouts literally don‘t care where you are playing. If you have talent and potential, you will get drafted, even from the lowest levels of college basketball.

Can’t be. Cam’s parents said he had to go to the Big East to get noticed. Hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Can’t be. Cam’s parents said he had to go to the Big East to get noticed. Hahaha.
Ha true, but Cam is now popping up on some draft boards, and it is because he is playing for a team that runs its offense that is very conducive to his skill set. Notwithstanding that, I still don’t think he gets drafted, probably can get a G league invite, but can make more money in Europe.

Reactions: bitnez
A lot more than one.

You are speculating why people bring him up . I bring up the facts. Facts matter.
The OP of the thread made a catalog of the previous comments about Cam. Perhaps I am speculating as to the motives behind the thread(s) about Cam but it's speculation that has pretty good evidence behind it.

Your fact does not matter in this thread as the fact that Spencer is a Rutgers graduate (which literally everyone already knew) does not require us to feel a certain way about him.

Ha true, but Cam is now popping up on some draft boards, and it is because he is playing for a team that runs its offense that is very conducive to his skill set. Notwithstanding that, I still don’t think he gets drafted, probably can get a G league invite, but can make more money in Europe.

He’s not getting drafted. He’s small and weak. Once all the European players get added he’ll end up in the G league. Work hard for 3-4 years maybe he’ll get a shot

Are you a fan of Rutgers only because of facts? Do emotions and speculation not play into most fan expeiences? Cam graduated from Rutgers...fact. Cam was at Rutgers one year....fact. Cam made some big shots to help Rutgers win some big games...fact. Rutgers did not do make the NCAA tourney while Cam was at Rutgers....fact. Cam left Rutgers at an inopportune time which adversely impacted his team, teammates, coaches and fans....also a fact. Also, could be wrong but since Cam left, I cant recall him speaking well of his RU experience.

Many here look at all the facts and situation and form an opinion or emotion based on that. You apparently seem to put a preferance only on certain facts.

I'm with you on him being a Rutgers graduate, and if he makes it to the NBA, we can say that Rutgers has a Rutgers grad in the NBA.

It's no different than Rutgers claiming Jonah Jackson as a Rutgers grad, even though he grad transferred to Ohio State and Ohio State is listed as his college with ESPN.

Well, maybe it's a little bit different because Jonah spent the majority of his career at Rutgers, but Rutgers claims Gus Edwards, and he only spent a year at Rutgers to get his graduate degree.

The comparison would be if Edwards transferred to UConn in a post graduate year after his year at RU. Would most RU fans (excluding Plum) still consider him one of our own?

Are you a fan of Rutgers only because of facts? Do emotions and speculation not play into most fan expeiences? Cam graduated from Rutgers...fact. Cam was at Rutgers one year....fact. Cam made some big shots to help Rutgers win some big games...fact. Rutgers did not do make the NCAA tourney while Cam was at Rutgers....fact. Cam left Rutgers at an inopportune time which adversely impacted his team, teammates, coaches and fans....also a fact. Also, could be wrong but since Cam left, I cant recall him speaking well of his RU experience.

Many here look at all the facts and situation and form an opinion or emotion based on that. You apparently seem to put a preferance only on certain facts.
I am not a fan because of facts.

Yes, those are all facts you mention . I don’t get the hate here for a guy that played well for us. It’s professional sports. The guy made the best business decision he could. Shady stuff happens in business all the time and college hoops recruiting is shady and cutthroat.

I never liked UConn - so I am rooting against them with or without Spencer. But I am not gonna hate the guy like a jilted lover

Did Edwards actually graduate from Rutgers ?

Grad degree? I don't have time to look it up. Thought I saw something in Wikipedia.
I didn’t see anything confirming he graduated.
It would be impressive if he did since the second semester he was prepping for nfl.

But then if he didn’t get a degree here and was on campus for just 4 months , kinda ridiculous to call him a Rutgers guy

Yes, those are all facts you mention . I don’t get the hate here for a guy that played well for us. It’s professional sports. The guy made the best business decision he could. Shady stuff happens in business all the time and college hoops recruiting is shady and cutthroat.

I never liked UConn - so I am rooting against them with or without Spencer. But I am not gonna hate the guy like a jilted lover
I don’t think there’s a lot of hate here. I think it’s a lot like what happened with Jacob Young where a few posters kept bringing him up over and over again in a way that provokes a negative reaction. Even then, I see basically zero hate in this thread.

I didn’t see anything confirming he graduated.
It would be impressive if he did since the second semester he was prepping for nfl.

But then if he didn’t get a degree here and was on campus for just 4 months , kinda ridiculous to call him a Rutgers guy
But that is how he is listed in his bio. He has a master's degree in public transportation management with a focus on buses. 😜

Reactions: Plum Street

I don't think many fans hate Cam as a person. Most also likely understand the business side of what college sports have become. However, many may have disliked his decision and timing because they are fans of RU first and foremost over Cam. . Also I imagine that most like me are indifferent to him at this point and focused on Rutgers except a few who need to bring him up to say "I told you so" or because they might have trouble moving forward.

Very on topic, speaks to all the board genius’s who said his game wasn’t good enough, to SLOW, was only a mid tear D1 player and look at him now.
all those experts were as wrong as you possibly could be. Those posters should have an asterisk next to their post moving forward.
To the jury has decided based on a mock draft prediction? Btw, I have no stake in the game, but the true answer wont be known until the draft/freee agency shakes out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT