ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cam Spencer appearing on 2024 NBA mock draft boards

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Cam's offensive rating, a statistical measure of a player's offensive production, has blasted to #1 out of thousands of division 1 players. A month ago, Cam ranked #7.

Cam's game is peaking in the right place, a UConn shirt, at the right time, the March before the NBA draft.

Recently, mock draft experts are adding Cam to mock draft boards.

When Cam entered portal last year, most TKR posters believed Cam was chasing $. I disagreed, arguing persuasively and accurately Cam was following his older brother Pat's pursuit of the NBA. A few weeks ago Pat - who played less than a year of college basketball and is 27 years old - made his NBA debut with the Golden State Warriors.

Mind providing a link?

Late 2nd round drsft projections aren't exactly reliable.
See all the RHJ mock drafts.

The real identifier is if Spencer gets invited to the Draft Combine.

Reactions: cm_13
Mind providing a link?

Late 2nd round drsft projections aren't exactly reliable.
See all the RHJ mock drafts.

The real identifier is if Spencer gets invited to the Draft Combine.

Cam to Indiana at 51

Cam to San Antonio at 44
https://theathletic.com/5268787/2024/02/20/nba-mock-draft-updates-rankings-teams/ (behind paywall)
44. San Antonio Spurs (via LAL): Cam Spencer | 6-4 guard | Connecticut

I agree 2nd round draft projections, like many forecasts in sports, must be viewed with a lot of uncertainty.

Cam should be invited to the combine. He'll do poorly in the athletic events relative to other combine attendees, world class in the shooting test, and surprise teams in the interviews. Cam isn't a prolific media personality, however, he has done several interviews at UConn that sound like they would be impressive to coaches and personnel decison makers.

Cam to Indiana at 51

Cam to San Antonio at 44
https://theathletic.com/5268787/2024/02/20/nba-mock-draft-updates-rankings-teams/ (behind paywall)
44. San Antonio Spurs (via LAL): Cam Spencer | 6-4 guard | Connecticut

I agree 2nd round draft projections, like many forecasts in sports, must be viewed with a lot of uncertainty.

Cam should be invited to the combine. He'll do poorly in the athletic events relative to other combine attendees, world class in the shooting test, and surprise teams in the interviews. Cam isn't a prolific media personality, however, he has done several interviews at UConn that sound like they would be impressive to coaches and personnel decison makers.

Just guessing that he will not be drafted but will Play in summer league and earn a training camp invite somewhere. Again, only a guess and basing this on his age as well as relative lack of athleticism. Rest will be up to him.

Reactions: cm_13
Very on topic, speaks to all the board genius’s who said his game wasn’t good enough, to SLOW, was only a mid tear D1 player and look at him now.
all those experts were as wrong as you possibly could be. Those posters should have an asterisk next to their post moving forward.

Last edited:
Just guessing that he will not be drafted but will Play in summer league and earn a training camp invite somewhere. Again, only a guess and basing this on his age as well as relative lack of athleticism. Rest will be up to him.
This is the most likely outcome.

NBA mock drafts are generally pretty terrible. The Athletic (the one that has Spencer going at 44) also has Edey going in the first round. I just read another one that has the Knicks drafting 4 centers for some reason.

Reactions: RUInsanity
Would be pretty cool to have another Rutgers graduate drafted. . It doesn’t happen often.
The Loyola Greyhounds can brag about starting Cam on the way to the NBA, if he's drafted or wins a spot on a team's roster after making the roster because of a tryout performance or play in the G-League

Last edited:
The Loyola Greyhounds can brag about starting Cam on the way to the NBA, if he's drafted or wins a spot on a team's roster after making the roster because of a tryout performance or play in the G-League

Are you against Rutgers graduates having success ?

Reactions: RUNIT24
Spencer is a very effective player when he is on the court with players that can score.At Rutgers he was the only outside scoring threat which caused opponents to double team him minimizing the number of 3 point shots

Reactions: RUNIT24 and RU MAN
No, it’s just a fact . I thought we want Rutgers graduates to do well . You don’t ?
A Rutgers graduate plays basketball at another school and now we hate him ?? Maybe grow up if that’s the attitude
I don’t hate him. I’m mostly indifferent to what he does. He was a one year rental who left in such a way to screw us over and didn’t allow us to counter. He is within his rights, but I don’t have any reason to root for him.

I don’t hate him. I’m mostly indifferent to what he does. He was a one year rental who left in such a way to screw us over and didn’t allow us to counter. He is within his rights, but I don’t have any reason to root for him.
He’s a Rutgers graduate ! No reason to hate a scarlet knight . Most Rutgers folks I know root for Rutgers graduates. But that choice is yours. No reason to come here and proclaim not rooting for a Rutgers guy

He’s a Rutgers graduate ! No reason to hate a scarlet knight . Most Rutgers folks I know root for Rutgers graduates. But that choice is yours. No reason to come here and proclaim not rooting for a Rutgers guy
I just said I don’t hate him. But I don’t particularly consider him a Scarlet Knight. I don’t care if he technically graduated from Rutgers while getting most of his credits from elsewhere.

Are you against Rutgers graduates having success ?
no, just putting things in proper perspective.
Cam graduated from Rutgers but spent two years as a student-athlete at Loyola of Maryland before leaving there for, what he must have considered, bigger and better things or he'd have stayed and graduated from that school.
So the Greyhounds deserve some credit for the success he had at Rutgers which enabled him to move on to the UConn roster after he gradated and left the RU MBB program for greener pastures and/or better exposure

I just said I don’t hate him. But I don’t particularly consider him a Scarlet Knight. I don’t care if he technically graduated from Rutgers while getting most of his credits from elsewhere.
Technically is what counts.
Don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative , I guess

Technically is what counts.
Don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative , I guess
Why is technically what counts? There’s no narrative here, there’s literally only my personal choice of who to root for or not. I’m not denying he graduated from here lol. I just don’t care.

I’m not trying to convince others to agree with me. I don’t get the sense that most people posting on this board about Cam Spencer are doing so because they’re happy for his success.

no, just putting things in proper perspective.
Cam graduated from Rutgers but spent two years as a student athlete at Loyola of Maryland .
So the Greyhounds deserve some credit for the success he had at Rutgers which enabled him to move on to the UConn roster after he gradated and left the RU MBB program for greener pastures and/or better exposure
Who cares about credit or perceived credit ? Just sticking to the facts here.
Cam is a Rutgers grad like many here and kids/parents of people here . The hate or negativity towards the guy is unreal . He also hit one of the biggest shots in Rutgers history at Purdue. More than many of us accomplished in our time on the banks.

The guy made a great business decision. Credit the rutgers graduate

Why is technically what counts? There’s no narrative here, there’s literally only my personal choice of who to root for or not. I’m not denying he graduated from here lol. I just don’t care.

I’m not trying to convince others to agree with me. I don’t get the sense that most people posting on this board about Cam Spencer are doing so because they’re happy for his success.
Because facts count.

Personally in as much as I loved his play for us and miss his game Big Time Rutgers Graduate is the last thing that comes to mind. Just like Gus The bus.
One year pass throughs don't exactly feel like fello alumnus to me.

I don't hate him to for leaving. I get why ..same with Paul. (It wasn't NIL folks) But I can call Paul a Rutgers guy. Not Cam.

• Love
Reactions: fluoxetine
Personally in as much as I loved his play for us and miss his game Big Time Rutgers Graduate is the last thing that comes to mind. Just like Gus The bus.
One year pass throughs don't exactly feel like fello alumnus to me.

I don't hate him to for leaving. I get why ..same with Paul. (It wasn't NIL folks) But I can call Paul a Rutgers guy. Not Cam.
Call whoever you want whatever you want .
Stick with the facts

Because facts count.
No one is disputing your fact. I recognize he graduated from Rutgers. I still am not rooting for him. To be clear, I’m not specifically rooting against him either. I just wish people would stop stirring up shit by bringing him up here.

Reactions: essexknight
Call whoever you want whatever you want .
Stick with the facts
I know facts thank you. You need to understand to he difference between opinions, feelings, and facts.
No body is disputing the facts no matter how many times you repeat it .

I know facts thank you. You need to understand to he difference between opinions, feelings, and facts.
No body is disputing the facts no matter how many times you repeat it .
Ok if this is the place to share your feelings , I guess that’s great !

The irony of Cam Spencer is that it’s his defense that will make or break him getting on an NBA roster.

Guys who can stand in the corner and hit open 3s are dime a dozen in the NBA. Everyone can shoot (which is why watching most CBB is headache inducing).

At 6’4” (likely shorter in actuality?), his ability to defend will dictate if he can actually get on the court.

6’4” is PG height in the NBA not a wing SG/SF.
Can he stay with quicker and more athletic PGs (most who will be bigger than him as well)?

NBA teams will hunt a small unauthentic defender unlike college.
They’ll put him on an island and make him defend man to man.
There is no help defense because if you help - that leaves an open shooter (as mentioned above).

Reactions: Fat Koko and cm_13
At the other end of the spectrum is Caleb who despite his defense can’t get on an NBA roster. If you aren’t at least a threat to shoot - then the other team can double the ball and give you open shots all day.

Have to be a minimum level of skill on both ends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT