ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain why there is no 10 second violation

phlop87

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2003
I have never understood why there is no 10 second violation in Womens college hoops. Does anyone know?

Thanks ... I've been to a few games this year and watched some on TV and didn't notice the ref counting it off.

the real question is, why is mens NCAA bball have a 35 second shot clock, womens ncaa bball has a 30 second shot clock, and the NBA had a 24 second shot clock

Originally posted by Tetsujin 28-go:
the real question is, why is mens NCAA bball have a 35 second shot clock, womens ncaa bball has a 30 second shot clock, and the NBA had a 24 second shot clock
For what it's worth, the WNBA uses the 30 second clock. FIBA uses a 24 second clock for both men and women.

I am quite sure that there are many, many cases of ten second clock violations that are not called. My thoughts on this are there is so much that can occupy a ref's concentration during that span, also, there would be no tangible evidence such as an actual clock.

Originally posted by MC1974:
I am quite sure that there are many, many cases of ten second clock violations that are not called. My thoughts on this are there is so much that can occupy a ref's concentration during that span, also, there would be no tangible evidence such as an actual clock.
One of many reasons that fans should "assist" the refs whenever possible.

It actually would be pretty funny if fans would start a ten-second count when the team is pressing and the opponent is having trouble getting the ball out of back court.

Just think: many loud voices at the RAC, counting down the seconds. This could freak out the opposing team.

After going through this practice a few times as we press, we then speed up the count. Or wait until the ball handler is trapped or confused, chanting a premature " 7..8..9...."

This could be interesting.

Just think: many loud voices at the RAC, counting down the seconds. This could freak out the opposing team.

After going through this practice a few times as we press, we then speed up the count. Or wait until the ball handler is trapped or confused, chanting a premature " 7..8..9...."

Someone needs to suggest this to the band. They'd be totally into it.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:

Someone needs to suggest this to the band. They'd be totally into it.
Awesome idea when we go into the 55!

One of the reasons there aren't more 10 second violation is that coaches (and sometimes players) call a timeout before the violation can be called. This results n afresh 10 sections to get the ball over the mid court line. I'd love to see the rule changed to disallow a time out or to keep the count going after a time out.

Originally posted by RUClassof67:
One of the reasons there aren't more 10 second violation is that coaches (and sometimes players) call a timeout before the violation can be called. This results n afresh 10 sections to get the ball over the mid court line. I'd love to see the rule changed to disallow a time out or to keep the count going after a time out.
totally agree

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Originally posted by RUClassof67:
totally agree
In most situations, a single possession isn't worth a TO, so as the defending team you'd generally be happy to make that trade. (Not to mention that you still get to run the press after the TO.)

The point about starting the clock fresh has been mentioned a few times by various commentators. I agree with BeK here, it is probably a fair trade.

As to why you don't see the ref's counting off the back-court, it is because they don't. They look at the shot clock. It is in the rule book as such. I think they are supposed to count when it "resets" after a time out, but I have not usually noticed them do so. I have not seen them miss any violations in the games that I have watched FWIW.

And I thought the W used a 24 second shot clock like the NBA, but could be wrong.

Posted by Doug

Originally posted by Knight Time Fan:

And I thought the W used a 24 second shot clock like the NBA, but could be wrong.

Posted by Doug
I got the WNBA shot clock information from a WNBA page, but it's always possible it was out of date.

Don't they use the shot clock?
This would need an official to be watching it.

Posted by Doug
I got the WNBA shot clock information from a WNBA page, but it's always possible it was out of date.
If you pull up the PDF rule book, you find they have a 24 second shot clock and 8 second back-court. Instituted in 2006 when they also went to 4 quarters.

They do have an info page "comparing" them to NCAA, etc. that is out-of-date (seriously). I have noticed this before with various pages on the WNBA site.

I like when we set up the 55 and they have to waste a timeout just to inbound the ball within the five second limit!!

Posted by Doug
If you pull up the PDF rule book, you find they have a 24 second shot clock and 8 second back-court. Instituted in 2006 when they also went to 4 quarters.

They do have an info page "comparing" them to NCAA, etc. that is out-of-date (seriously). I have noticed this before with various pages on the WNBA site.
That's the page where I got the information, so that explains it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT