ADVERTISEMENT

Can we beat Temple without both Caleb and Paul?

I’m sure I’ll catch a load of sh!t for this comment but with the earlier expected emergence of Simpson, we need Caleb wayyyyyy more than we need Paul. I hope Caleb is ready to come back next game. Let Paul rest and get whatever his “upper body injury” (Schiano-speak lol) is dealt with to be healthy for conference play.
I actually think the opposite.

Cliff dominates the 1st half. 2nd half he was quiet and we just didn’t get him the ball. I think that is different if Paul is there.

End game I did not feel comfortable at all without Paul on the floor.

take a look at how many assists we had today. Paul didn’t play more than 10 minutes.

Reactions: Unionst
Only got to see about fifteen minutes of todays game but all of previous two. Very much looking forward to Caleb and, to a lesser extent, Dean taking minutes from Mag and even Aundre.

I love the way he plays but in hindsight probably not worth diving for loose balls in the season opener. You don’t need that possession in the first half against Columbia that bad. I’d imagine this is something he’s going to be dealing with for a while this season.

Also keep in mind this is the same Temple team that lost to Wagner on their home floor. I think we’ll be fine.
But the sane Temple team that just knocked off Villanova

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Jalen Miller played well after he went down in the first half. Not as good in the second. He will need to step up if we are to keep winning with both of them out.
Jalen should be on one of the first three teams we’ve played this year. He has no offensive game. Open up a scholly- he will transfer. Simpson is 10x better from day 1

He defers to everybody else, he had a couple nice drives the past two games and a couple rebounds.. I don't know how you can come to any conclusion when he rightly defers to the more proven scorers

Reactions: BillyC80
Last year needing 28/34 from the charity stripe and shooting so bad I’m not sure we win today. I think we’ll be fine with rest.
How about giving the kids credit for the terrific foul shooting which hasn’t happened in ages across multiple player. 28-34 today over 80% and our starters finished 17-17 last game and overall 19-22 which is ridiculously good. Frankly we have real good foul shooters that look like it will be an asset all year. We have quicker guys that are attacking the rim which bodes well.

We are Rutgers … I’d expect TU to win by 15 + if both are unavailable … team looked pretty bad today in the 2nd half.
What game were you watching. We were up 13 at half and stretched it to 18 and they cut it to 10 and it stayed between 10-13 for all but the last 3 minutes when they briefly cut it to 6 then Cliff had the big block and it was back to 12 with a little less than 50 seconds left.
Not sure what game you watched but your statement is so inaccurate . Take the rest of the night off buddy.

If Paul can’t play vs Temple and Caleb can , would you simply have Caleb come off the bench and have Simpson start? Or does Caleb start in lieu of Mag or Hyatt with Simpson starting? Or does Simpson still come off the bench and Caleb starts at G.
THAT is the million dollar question for sure. I’m leaning Simpson, Cam, Caleb, Hyatt, Cliff

Reactions: robjknight
If Paul can’t play vs Temple and Caleb can , would you simply have Caleb come off the bench and have Simpson start? Or does Caleb start in lieu of Mag or Hyatt with Simpson starting? Or does Simpson still come off the bench and Caleb starts at G.
Starting really does not matter, but I would guess that Caleb’s minutes will be limited the first game coming back from a knee injury.

Let’s hope they are both able to play. Temple beat #16 Villanova last night. Only 4 Temple players scored in the game with nothing from their bench and only 5 from their center. If we have our full team , we can wear them down.

Not having Caleb and Mulcahy getting time with the newcomers is going to set our chemistry and teamwork back.

Yes, we're a team that made the tournament 2 years in a row, which probably should have been 3 years in a row if it was played in 2020.

That's what you mean by "We are Rutgers," right?
Yes … and RU went 1-2 in the NCAA with losses to Houston and ND … and last game 25+ years before that was a lost to ASU.

RU doesn’t have enough firepower to win vs TU without Caleb or Paul. Simpson has talent, but shooting like 36% from the floor.

If the lineup from the 2nd half is what we go on with, it’s going to be a long night.

Caleb plays and contributes as he gets his legs back. Paul could be gone till the start of December when the big boys come in. Shoulders generally do not heal in a week. Let’s hope it is not the whole season

Temple win won’t look as impressive when Villanova is 11-13 in a couple months

Caleb plays and contributes as he gets his legs back. Paul could be gone till the start of December when the big boys come in. Shoulders generally do not heal in a week. Let’s hope
Caleb plays and contributes as he gets his legs back. Paul could be gone till the start of December when the big boys come in. Shoulders generally do not heal in a week. Let’s hope it is not the whole season
Yes I know about a shoulder injury
Fell down skiing pretty hard last year

Wound up being a small rotor cuff tear

Took a long time, over six months to get a lot better, and still some residual problems nine months later
As far as playing basketball through a small tear event, would be tough I would say

We can but that means Derek becomes a sophomore and Cam plays a solid overall game and the bigs bang the living crap out of Temple on the boards. Miller has to take another step in his .maturation

Yes I know about a shoulder injury
Fell down skiing pretty hard last year

Wound up being a small rotor cuff tear

Took a long time, over six months to get a lot better, and still some residual problems nine months later
As far as playing basketball through a small tear event, would be tough I would say
If it was his shooting hand… Harness will affixed and into battle he’ll go. There will be more time set aside on the bench and if Caleb returns soon that will make it quite possible Paul sits a game or 2’

The thing that concerns me most about this game is the match up itself (not necessarily the personnel). It’s been a refreshing change seeing this year’s team’s ability to turn defense into offense on fast break opportunities. There’s no question that’s huge. But the rate we’ve been doing that at is not sustainable against better teams, and sometimes it takes a game or two to adapt when suddenly your team isn’t dropping 20+ points in transition and has to earn everything in the halfcourt. Temple only turned the ball over 7 times against Villanova so hopefully we’re prepared for that task on Friday. I really hope Caleb is ready as his defense could be very important in the game.

Is that seriously all it takes.
Take Paul out of the game and play a team with a pulse? All of a sudden we fall apart. Yikes
Really hope Paul stays for a 5th year and gets a grad degrees

Could see this coming when we were kissing him that last game .. offense non existent without Paul .. Pikiell all he had to do was go inside to Cliff and we had Mag and Oskar shooting terrible 3s and Hyatt dribbling into tripping turnovers 6 times

Is that seriously all it takes.
Take Paul out of the game and play a team with a pulse? All of a sudden we fall apart. Yikes
Really hope Paul stays for a 5th year and gets a grad degrees
It was a bad start and 3 point shooting. We turned it around but it was too late. They were hot from 3 early and we couldn’t hit any. Team played hard and never moped or called it in. We did that last year early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT