ADVERTISEMENT

Canceling the Season is the Right Thing to Do

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
One only needs to read Indiana freshman OL Brady Feeneys story, shared by his mother on Facebook, to appreciate possible severe adverse consequences we are exposing our athletes to, if the season is played:

My son was negative when he got tested at the beginning of volunteer workouts. Within three weeks he and multiple others tested positive. His university has done everything right by shutting down workouts and retesting the whole team.

"Unfortunately this virus hit my son very hard compared to most of his teammates. Here was a kid in perfect health, great physical condition and due to the virus ended up going to the ER because of breathing issues. After 14 days of hell battling the horrible virus, his school did additional testing on all those that were positive. My son even recieved extra tests because he was one of the worst cases.

"Now we are dealing with possible heart issues! He is still experiencing additional symptoms and his blood work is indicating additional problems. Bottom line, even if your son’s schools do everything right to protect them, they CAN’T PROTECT THEM!!

"I pray my son recovers from this horrible virus and can lead a healthy normal life!! Football does not really matter when your child’s health is in jeopardy!! Think about it!!! My heart is hurting and I pray for all of these kids and for the people making the decisions about the season!!!

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-freshman-brady-feeney-seriously-ill-covid-19

After reading that, I don’t know how anyone could advocate for the season being played. Here you have a player, in peak physical condition when he entered the football program,
Possibly scarred for life, despite all the precautions taken.

That’s unacceptable, and we should not expose more players to similar risks. Once one player has it, others will get it as the virus spreads through teams like wildfire, because they train in close quarters. Rutgers football team is presently quarantined, because 15 players got it.

It’s no secret that the virus has hit the African American and Latino Communities the hardest.
And college football is played by players, the majority of which, are African American, a community especially prone to diabetes and other pre-existing conditions. Conditions that the virus will expose.

Playing the season exposes players to possible death, and there’s nothing worse than that. We all know the risks are very small, but the possibility is not worth the benefits. Nothing is worth possible death. Players of course will always say they want to play. No one thinks they’ll get the virus till they get it.

Not to mention that the logistics of managing the season will be very difficult if it is played. What if a player tests positive, will games be cancelled? How many players need to test positive before you cancel a game? Do you quarantine just the player, his unit and the position coach, the whole team? How long do you quarantine the team if there are cases? The evil of this virus is that it spreads asymptomatically and can take time before it shows up on a test. So a player can test negative one day, then positive the next. There are also false positives, as we saw with Ohio’s Governor.

What if a player dies? Do you continue on with the season, or do you cancel it? How many players need to die before you cancel the season? How many players need to go to the hospital before you cancel the season? Frankly, I think one is too many, and we’ve already reached that quota.

Lastly, Amateurs are not adequately compensated for the possible risks they are taking, the ultimate, which is death, even if it is very small. What will a school compensate the family if a player dies?

All these questions will have to be thought through, if a season is played.

I’m of the opinion that this season, and this year, is a write off. Next season and next year a vaccine will be in place, and things will be much different. That’s why the right thing to do is to cancel the season. If the season is cancelled, I’ll be boating, and looking forward to the real Super Bowl, November 3rd.

It's an AIRBORNE RESPIRATORY VIRUS with NO KNOWN vaccine.

Hence that's why it's everywhere in the World. On the Falkland Islands, on Greenland, on a Russian sub, on a US Aircraft Carrier.

Reactions: rutgersal
I want them to play if they want to play. I love Football but can live without it. I think getting back to normal is the right thing to do and it doesn’t impact me either way for Football and kids in schools. My common sense tells me we are better off sending the kids back to school. That one I feel strongly about but again doesn’t matter to me one way or the other. I’m thinking about the kids being in isolation and trying to learn from parents who are stir crazy. Football is just a game but it’s another sign of normalcy that the US needs. I can live without it though.

Life is good. Be happy.

So when the CDC tells us that it's TIME to restart the counts on the 'seasonal flu virus' we should lock the country down again ?

Even thou this past "seasonal flu virus" is OVER according to the CDC and even thou the CDC only provided us with a shot that knocked down 3 of the 4 virus strains in the 'seasonal' flu ?

I and others selfishly want a season, but cancellation is the right thing to do.
...said no one ever! The right thing to do is to isolate those with medical conditions and the rest of us continue to live our lives. These are young men in the peak of physical health, very few of them are going to have serious complications from this chinese originated disease.

Odds are that this virus will be with us for the rest of our natural lives. We should be acting accordingly.

I don’t know about you, but I’d rather contract the virus and take my chances than live like this for the next several decades.

Odds are that this virus will be with us for the rest of our natural lives. We should be acting accordingly.

I don’t know about you, but I’d rather contract the virus and take my chances than live like this for the next several decades.

Or we could just get the vaccine when that becomes available??

Decades? Hopefully within the next year we will have definitive and effective treatments along with a vaccine that has relatively good efficacy. Another benefit of pushing the season to Spring (or waiting until Fall 2021) is the long term complications can/will become clearer for the players. There will be so much more data compiled on long term effects and it will give the medical community time to digest and analyze if/how this affects the body over time...and how common those long term affect occur.

who said anything about several decades ? it's one college football season. get some perspective. if no vaccine or effective treatment by next year, then we can try to figure out how to do it as safe as we can.

Ditto...see above. For those largely affected by this decision, it's ok to put certain pleasures on hold to help achieve the best and safest outcomes.

I agree w/the OP. For many different reasons, cancelling the season makes sense.

As for those who want to ignore the virus and get on with their lives, nobody's stopping you. If you want to run around french-kissing strangers who exhibit signs of possible COVID-19 infection, have at it.

Just don't force your personal lack of concern about yourself upon others around you. Is that really asking too much?

I get that people are impatient. But things will work themselves out with time.

I'm not sure that more resources have ever been expended, in such a short time, on fighting one particular virus than we're seeing with COVID-19. Yes, we haven't yet found cures for the common cold or the flu. But the efforts being thrown at COVID-19 may well, eventually, result in solutions for a lot of stuff we hadn't solved to date.

We have a flu vaccine and that hasn’t gotten rid of the flu. Covid-19 is even more contagious.
The flu vaccine needs to be tweaked every year because it mutates every year. It has nothing to do with contagion.

There’s no evidence that covid is like the flu in this regard.

Reactions: rutgersal
For those who say stay the course and just play.....give us your reaction to this scenario, which by law of large numbers isn't far-fetched, in fact it might be likely:

What if one - just ONE - player contracts the virus in week 2 and dies because of how the virus interacts with an underlying condition that they player/team wasn't even aware of?

Would you want to be that coach, that AD, that university president, that conf commish?

Put aside all of the political bullish!t. That's why the season is cancelled.

It really sucks that most if not all of college football will not be played this fall and it is pretty simple as to why. For the Big Ten, Pac 12 and the Ivy League they are all relying on the medical advice from some of the best medical experts from some of the best med schools in the country. And most of these happen to be in their own backyards (UCLA/Stamford/Washington/Michigan/Northwestern/Harvard/Yale/Columbia). And this opposed to the other conferences that seem to be getting their medical advice from Trump University. You know that school, home to the Fighting Covfefe.

It really sucks that most if not all of college football will not be played this fall and it is pretty simple as to why. For the Big Ten, Pac 12 and the Ivy League they are all relying on the medical advice from some of the best medical experts from some of the best med schools in the country. And most of these happen to be in their own backyards (UCLA/Stamford/Washington/Michigan/Northwestern/Harvard/Yale/Columbia). And this opposed to the other conferences that seem to be getting their medical advice from Trump University. You know that school, home to the Fighting Covfefe.
dumb....

My point is that the flu isn’t eradicated by a vaccine and Covid won’t be either.

Do you disagree with that?

In upcoming years it won’t be a novel virus anymore, so hopefully it isn’t as potent.

Or we could just get the vaccine when that becomes available??
Vaccines don't always work the first time, and often take years, not months, to perfect.

On another note, Al's post is spot on. This virus is out of control in many states. Playing a football season involving travel in the current environment is an unnecessary risk.

Last edited:
For us here in the Northeast it's the right thing to do. But for those schools in the SEC and Big12 that are in states that have the virus under control it's probably understandable that they would play this Fall. :Sly:
They want to get the season in before everybody in those conference's states are dead.

Good thing those teams won't be playing games in places like NJ, where the virus is under control. They'd have to arrive 14 days before the game and isolate themselves.

Reactions: Kbee3
They want to get the season in before everybody in those conference's states are dead.

Good thing those teams won't be playing games in places like NJ, where the virus is under control. They'd have to arrive 14 days before the game and isolate themselves.
Is it 17 straight days with over 1,000 deaths in this country from the damn virus ?
Yeah...let's send our kids back to school. :Angry

Reactions: Greg2020

Wrong, it's all political
Just like your comments

If you don't see it shame on you.
Sounds like you get your news from MSDNC.

Cancelling goes against science.

Last edited:

Really make some goods points. Have we heard from those med schools? I really don't know the answer to that question.
The last two lines were unnecessary and inappropriate to this discussion.

People seem to be so sure on both sides. Me, I don't know. What we are learning about the virus seems to change on a daily basis and flare-ups are very unpredictable.

If the experts are right and we do get a vaccine by next summer, I think it will be a small price to pay to not have football for one fall of all of our lives. They cancelled MLB during WWII and people survived. So will we.

People seem to be so sure on both sides. Me, I don't know. What we are learning about the virus seems to change on a daily basis and flare-ups are very unpredictable.

If the experts are right and we do get a vaccine by next summer, I think it will be a small price to pay to not have football for one fall of all of our lives. They cancelled MLB during WWII and people survived. So will we.
Baseball was still being played during WWII.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT