ADVERTISEMENT

Cannon down to PSU or Rutgers

Given Cannon's performance last season, maybe. That would be sweet. We may get to see it. Shawver is one guy that showed measurable improvement; I hope that has continued. Is he working with Rivera?
Only the most wishful RU fans would think Shawver would out perform Cannon next year rn.. we are all rooting for Shawver but no indication he’s AA contention next year rn.

If we didn’t already have Shawver then Cannon would make a lot more sense, depending on his $$.. but yeah he woulda went 141 anyways.. thing w Griffith tho is it’s only one year so is he going to move the needle so much that its really worth the $$$..
Griffith was a nice thought, but everything has a cost or value limit and those limits are relative to affordability. So, no, it appears that luxury is too expensive.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Oh well! Michigan has been buying a lot of their Olympic teams, especially wrestling the last two years. Want to see a sport die even further, NIL will eventually do that to some Olympic sports. I see more schools dropping the sport as they simply can't compete as talent gets even more concentrated. It's no longer 9.9 scholarships.

giphy.gif

We are great about making excuses. It used to be that we were not fully funded for scholarships, then we were asked to give to the SKWC to hire resident athletes, then the practice facility is in a dungeon, or there was limited university support. Then we got all this stuff. Now it is parents want to send kids to more prestigious schools and not enough money. Only two teams in last year's tournament top ten are better academic schools than Rutgers. The money claim is not backed up by facts. There are a lot of rumors and no facts. Wrestling is a niche sport with a blue collar fan base. It is hard to imagine fans ponying up a lot of money to rent a wrestler for a year.

Maybe Cannon wanted to follow his two other teammates from Northwestern to Michigan or he didn't want to wrestle 141, or he liked the fact that every Michigan coach is an All American and Donny is our only All American, or he didn't connect with our head coach. I don't know. I do believe we are good at making excuses.

Let's get Griffith.
Yeah it’s like the landscape of college sports didn’t just have a major change in the last couple years.

All of these are valid problems that we’ve experienced and unfortunately we’ve been a step to slow in solving them.

Barring some big donors coming along we aren’t going to be very competitive with top teams.

Shane G will probably be on Wall Street after wrestling so this year is only a spring board to that. He will balance the $ Offered vs wrestling at home in front of family and friends and less money. If he values the differential than he will not be at RU.

Which is all understandable and makes us an underdog, as we already knew.

So who’s the next big fish we have our targets on?

Shane G will probably be on Wall Street after wrestling so this year is only a spring board to that. He will balance the $ Offered vs wrestling at home in front of family and friends and less money. If he values the differential than he will not be at RU.

Shane is surely weighing his options. I hope he understands that Wall Street can sharply curtail hiring at any point. They operate under a herd mentality. I would think that no matter what, a candidate with an MBA from Stanford will always get a look if he had that option. Life is interesting. $$$$

Last edited:
NIL has failed miserably in what the whole original intent was for. It assists 1% (if that) of athletes and only the major players in mostly basketball and football. It has almost zero impact on Olympic sports “besides” a few who can benefit from hungry donors looking to buy a championship. Almost no one in Rowing, Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Field Hockey, etc etc has any benefit.
The moniker Name Image Likeness is a complete farce. I have 2 children in D1 college athletics at mid tier schools and it does absolutely Zero for them. I hate it and all it represents. It may be the new way but not for me.

NIL has failed miserably in what the whole original intent was for. It assists 1% (if that) of athletes and only the major players in mostly basketball and football. It has almost zero impact on Olympic sports “besides” a few who can benefit from hungry donors looking to buy a championship. Almost no one in Rowing, Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Field Hockey, etc etc has any benefit.
The moniker Name Image Likeness is a complete farce. I have 2 children in D1 college athletics at mid tier schools and it does absolutely Zero for them. I hate it and all it represents. It may be the new way but not for me.
It's made its way already into Lacrosse. Rutgers got outbid by Notre Dame this year for a top transfer portal kid.

Reactions: Leonard23
Careful getting too hung up on NIL; it's just the latest obstacle, although a substantial one. How was recruiting before NIL? That wasn't very long ago. We shouldn't focus on one thing as if it's the only reason recruiting is difficult.
Having Princeton, UPenn, Columbia, and Cornell within striking distance of RU is just as big a problem as NIL. Schools like Mich, Nebby, OSU, etc. basically on islands from a wrestling standpoint.

If we didn’t already have Shawver then Cannon would make a lot more sense, depending on his $$.. but yeah he woulda went 141 anyways.. thing w Griffith tho is it’s only one year so is he going to move the needle so much that its really worth the $$$..
That's the million or $100, 000+ question. Will the aquisition justify the one year payout for the result (thinking B1G champion/AA, vs top 1/2 in the country)? Or, will any good results help motivate new recruits to commit? As we see, there are plenty of factors in consideration for a top tier program and somewhat moderate results for Rutgers compared to top tier programs (two NCs, and a good handful of AAs), have not helped in stellar recruiting/commitments going forward. Will Griffith be worth his salary?

Having Princeton, UPenn, Columbia, and Cornell within striking distance of RU is just as big a problem as NIL. Schools like Mich, Nebby, OSU, etc. basically on islands from a wrestling standpoint.
Penn state isn’t too far from us and the ivies don’t stop them 🖐.. NJ area is supposed to be a wrestling hotbed..

Next round is on me. What's your pleasure?
It's made its way already into Lacrosse. Rutgers got outbid by Notre Dame this year for a top transfer portal kid.
Shhhh...didn't you know? We have the ability to buy athletes for just about any particular sport. Jump on board and buy success!!!

Penn state isn’t too far from us and the ivies don’t stop them 🖐.. NJ area is supposed to be a wrestling hotbed..
Penn State is the pinnacle of college wrestling. It’s not even remotely fair to compare us to them. That’s like comparing the Brooklyn Cyclones to the New York Yankees

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Penn State is the pinnacle of college wrestling. It’s not even remotely fair to compare us to them. That’s like comparing the Brooklyn Cyclones to the New York Yankees
Just goes to show, the playing field is not equitable throughout the field.

Ik i just meant this pa/nj/ny area is very good for seeing/visiting recruits… overall, we are at a location of advantage not disadvantage bc of Ives..

What was Penn state like before Cael came? How did he make them so much better? Did a bunch of random money start flowing in ever since he came? Everyone knew pa state college was always a sleeping giant just needed someone to awaken it.. and everyone kept saying nj state college could be a sleeping giant for the last 15 years but have we reached our peak?? What if a Cael like coach came to ru.. would and how would it elevate us or it wouldn’t really bc we are capped money wise? But then how did PSU do it? Glad Goodale got a wake up call last year but I can’t help but feel if a Cael level coach came we could awaken the sleeping giant in nj as did Cael awaken the sleeping giant in pa.. I hope Goodale can do it but maybe it’s not possible.. rn id be studying the Penn state template to c how they got where they are..

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Ik i just meant this pa/nj/ny area is very good for seeing/visiting recruits… overall, we are at a location of advantage not disadvantage bc of Ives..

What was Penn state like before Cael came? How did he make them so much better? Did a bunch of random money start flowing in ever since he came? Everyone knew pa state college was always a sleeping giant just needed someone to awaken it.. and everyone kept saying nj state college could be a sleeping giant for the last 15 years but have we reached our peak?? What if a Cael like coach came to ru.. would and how would it elevate us or it wouldn’t really bc we are capped money wise? But then how did PSU do it? Glad Goodale got a wake up call last year but I can’t help but feel if a Cael level coach came we could awaken the sleeping giant in nj as did Cael awaken the sleeping giant in pa.. I hope Goodale can do it but maybe it’s not possible.. rn id be studying the Penn state template to c how they got where they are..
Cael is the greatest college wrestler of all time and also happens to be the best coach around. If he was at Rutgers they’d absolutely be a top program. The problem is there is no one else like him. Burroughs would be the next big name but who knows how he’d be as a coach.

Cael is the greatest college wrestler of all time and also happens to be the best coach around. If he was at Rutgers they’d absolutely be a top program. The problem is there is no one else like him. Burroughs would be the next big name but who knows how he’d be as a coach.
I agree, and it’s not fair to compare any coach to Cael, but I’m just visualizing a different timeline where Cael went to RU for some reason, what he woulda done to bring us to a top program somehow or if it’s even possible with our resources.. Cael probably can get away with a lot just through name recognition but he’s also playing 4d chess and we need to learn from him..

Burroughs might go into coaching after he’s done competitively.. not sure if he stated any interest in coaching after.. if he has competitively juices still flowing maybe he would wanna try to awaken nj just as Cael did for Penn state.. he could just as easily go to Nebraska tho.. yeah just daydreaming how or if we can ever reach new levels.. or are we just forever capped bc always seem money is brought up..r we using it in most efficient method.. if in imaginary Cael came to takeover tomorrow how would we improve or would he be capped too w/ money.. once again, no one can ever replace Cael but just a thought experiment if we truly are capped or if there’s still room for improvements..

For the Nth time, coaching is much more than teaching wrestling; it's a management job.

There isn't a single thing that will solve the Rutgers problem, it has to be top to bottom. If Goodale cannot affect change, we stay where we are. If we stay where we are, there needs to be an acceptance of that and a declaration from the program that we're accepting it. Some here accept it by virtue of excuses. Excuses are also reasons and the reasons may not be conquerable.

When fantasizing about becoming a big-time program, everything needs a close inspection. Bringing in one top coach won't do it unless he is able to build a winning staff. Excitement has to be generated and excitement may help attract money. But, who would come if given the opportunity? The last effort to hire a coach failed because none of the candidates wanted the job. Why? Was it money? Remember, money is everything, right? Were they offered less money than they were getting? If it wasn't money, then there's something else. Could the same be true for the kids being recruited?

There are several good candidates out there if that were to be considered. While Cael is the only Cael, there are some that don't pale much in comparison, like Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Nickal, and several others that may or may not have management talent. But no, I don't think they will come and I don't expect Goodale will step aside. Hahn was mentioned recently. I saw that he turned down Oklahoma.

• Haha
Cael is a great coach but having a sugar daddy give $5million to start with did not hurt his chances to succeed as evidenced by the massive RTC staff he pays and has assembled

Cael is a great coach but having a sugar daddy give $5million to start with did not hurt his chances to succeed as evidenced by the massive RTC staff he pays and has assembled
Hawkeye announced a few months ago that they were initiating a campaign to raise $15 million for their endowment. That’s what we are up against.

The Penn State sugar daddy didn’t give the money when Cael was hired. He gave it after Cael produced results. The Iowa club has about 1.8 million in assets. Good luck to them getting to 15 million in the near future.

The SKWC is among the top 6 RTCs in assets. At last year’s golf outing Goody said we had $700,000.

We may not have more $ than Iowa and Penn State. We have more money than most programs.

Reactions: KidDagger
The Penn State sugar daddy didn’t give the money when Cael was hired. He gave it after Cael produced results. The Iowa club has about 1.8 million in assets. Good luck to them getting to 15 million in the near future.

The SKWC is among the top 6 RTCs in assets. At last year’s golf outing Goody said we had $700,000.

We may not have more $ than Iowa and Penn State. We have more money than most programs.
So we’re just not capable of consistently/realistically beating out the elite of psu Iowa Michigan and osu.
Until we get a sugar daddy or an influx of money.

If I understood what has been said about the $700k, it's an endowment, and only earnings from it can be spent. That's small money. The money being spent today in the guise of NIL is much more significant. This can't last. At some point, the craziness will get reined in. Until then, it'll be a mess.

I don't understand the cost-benefit. There is a lot of spending on football, but much money is generated too. The schools benefit significantly from TV coverage and bowl games. What financial benefit is in wrestling?

I suggest caution in believing it is only a money problem. I can recall and relate to my experiences with local government. When seeking approval for a house improvement, I would be told I need to provide X. I return with X only to be told I must provide XX. I return with X and XX only to be told I must also provide XXX. It's more than just money.

Hawkeye announced a few months ago that they were initiating a campaign to raise $15 million for their endowment. That’s what we are up against.
I thought endowment doesn’t matter since you can’t actually use that money directly anyway. We need a consistent flow of revenue.

This. No one is expecting us to be Iowa/ sugar daddy Penn st/ Transfer U Michigan..

We have more advantages then most programs yet does our current wrestling product reflect that is the main gripe. Hotbed location, new facility, top 5 match attendance, yet consistently bottom half b10 😶

The year Suriano and Ashnault won their championships, DIDn't we finish #9 in NCAA and # 10 in the B10's?
What isour highest finish in B10 (I know I am being lazy)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT