ADVERTISEMENT

Carino: Eugene because he wants to play in the tourney

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
just goes to show you what kind of kid Eugene is...We could be a borderline NCAA team this year if all broke right and he could have been a big part/reason why. Instead, he takes the easy way out, wants to join a ready made NCAA team and reap the benefits. Seems like what we thought Eugene was (leader, tough guy both mentally and physically) was false. He might still be physically tough, but the leader and mental part he is not. Honestly, this might be a blessing because we need a real leader to lead us to the tourney, Eugene is definitely not that.

carino said this on the scarlet spotlight podcast, https://www.thescarletspotlight.com/podcast/2019/6/7/episode-31-jerry-carino

This better be plastered all over the walls of the RAC and the new practice facility. Theres no motivation like the motivation of trying to prove the doubters wrong, especially a back stabbing dirt bag who was previously your captain.

What happened to leaving because he was soft, scared and could not hack the trash talking in all those summer pickup games?

This is the most likely scenario because Rutgers probably looks more like an NIT team than a NCAA team this year.

Reactions: littlenis5
Oh, well if that's the case then I hope his new team makes the Final Four.

Not really.

Twitter chatter that Shakur Juiston is going to Oregon which may put them out on Omoruyi (particularly if he tries to get a waiver; if he sits out then he'd still fit)

I'd hope his new team falls short of the tourney and his struggles to get mintues. But that's not likely to happen lol

Not everybody around the league or country thinks we’re a post-season or .500 in league play threat. We have higher aspirations than most. Hopefully the guys are already motivated.

I'd hope his new team falls short of the tourney and his struggles to get mintues. But that's not likely to happen lol
I don't know why people are acting like he's god haha. When he was on the court on the offensive end the ball was in his hands over 30% of the time. That is not good. We're going to be better without him, you'll all see. He was a 6'5 PF who was weak

I don't know why people are acting like he's god haha. When he was on the court on the offensive end the ball was in his hands over 30% of the time. That is not good. We're going to be better without him, you'll all see. He was a 6'5 PF who was weak

We’re not going to be better without him. We still be good because of Pikes coaching ability and the rest of the roster can improve. Plus Yeboah helps fill the void.

But to say your expectation is Eugene would make us worse because of his lack of offensive efficiency is implying Pikiell would not have adjusted the team at all to improve year over year based on the skill set of his 2019 roster.

This is not directed purely at you it’s at everyone who thinks Eugene’s departure is the major reason the offense would start to change.

We’re not going to be better without him. We still be good because of Pikes coaching ability and the rest of the roster can improve. Plus Yeboah helps fill the void.

But to say your expectation is Eugene would make us worse because of his lack of offensive efficiency is implying Pikiell would not have adjusted the team at all to improve year over year based on the skill set of his 2019 roster.

This is not directed purely at you it’s at everyone who thinks Eugene’s departure is the major reason the offense would start to change.
I said after the 2017 that Freeman would be addition by subtraction due to how he played, the ball often got stuck with him and he wound up taking low % shots far too often. Many argued my point. Eugene turned into deshawn last year. When eugene went out vs Ohio state in like the first 5 minutes people thought we were doomed. The offense that night had such better flow without him. Again, we threw up a couple clunkers after that with a young team but I much prefer to have Yeboah getting 32 minutes a night vs 22 minutes a night since eugene is gone.

All Eugene gone means is Yeboah Harper and Caleb play a combined 25 more minutes per night with Shaq carter probably getting those other 5 minutes to comprise of eugene's 30. Sign me up for that any day.

I said after the 2017 that Freeman would be addition by subtraction due to how he played, the ball often got stuck with him and he wound up taking low % shots far too often. Many argued my point. Eugene turned into deshawn last year. When eugene went out vs Ohio state in like the first 5 minutes people thought we were doomed. The offense that night had such better flow without him. Again, we threw up a couple clunkers after that with a young team but I much prefer to have Yeboah getting 32 minutes a night vs 22 minutes a night since eugene is gone.

All Eugene gone means is Yeboah Harper and Caleb play a combined 25 more minutes per night with Shaq carter probably getting those other 5 minutes to comprise of eugene's 30. Sign me up for that any day.

Did you say that first about Freeman or did I?

Ultimately it’s on Pike to get the most out of his team by identifying the right minutes and rotations for his given roster and subsequent skill set each new season. If we think we would be worse with EO then we inherently think Pike would be mismanaging the team.

I don’t believe he would have mismanaged the team. He himself has indicated he believes his roster represents a stronger and wider collective skill set than in years past and that alone leads me to believe Pike would have made the team stronger next year with both EO in the mix than without.

How long it would’ve taken him to find the right distributions may be what’s impacted most with one less piece in the puzzle. But with the overseas trip it should’ve been fairly early on (as I still expect it to be with current roster) and MUCH earlier than last season as he struggled to adjust in OOC play.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
a lot of revisionist history here. no one can deny that he gave 100% each game, and that the team was a lot better with him in the lineup. just look at the scores of the games in which he was sitting out.

This keeps coming up but you would think that at Minnesota at Purdue would be games that Eugene wasn't going to be a difference in. And he played 7 minutes and we still beat OSU.

No one wants to acknowledge that the Ohio State game happened without him, while pointing out the next 2 to 3 games he didn't play as well.

There's no correlation between him having an impact on wins and losses. The team played better when he shot the ball less than 10 times vs him having more than 10 shots after his injury.

If we are going to say Eugene helps close the gap of defeat between both Minnesota and Purdue, that is fair but to pin the bad performances on Eugene not playing is a theory, that doesn't have support. If RU was winless without Eugene and his return spurred RU to play better, the numbers and games played vs not, should say that.

I don't believe that the NCAA item is valid, Eugene can't be quoted, wasn't quoted and isn't likely to speak on the topic. If that's the message that is used to be spun, fine....i just think it's an age old argument and Texas A&M is no closer to the NCAAS than RU now.

Did you say that first about Freeman or did I?

Ultimately it’s on Pike to get the most out of his team by identifying the right minutes and rotations for his given roster and subsequent skill set each new season. If we think we would be worse with EO then we inherently think Pike would be mismanaging the team.

I don’t believe he would have mismanaged the team. He himself has indicated he believes his roster represents a stronger and wider collective skill set than in years past and that alone leads me to believe Pike would have made the team stronger next year with both EO in the mix than without.

How long it would’ve taken him to find the right distributions may be what’s impacted most with one less piece in the puzzle. But with the overseas trip it should’ve been fairly early on (as I still expect it to be with current roster) and MUCH earlier than last season as he struggled to adjust in OOC play.
probably me. I was very loud about that from the jump and people were killing me all year until pike bench him finally.

He's gone, the reason why is immaterial as far as I'm concerned as long as he's not going to blame RU for not treating him right.
Time to move on and think of the ways Rutgers can make the tourney without him.

I don't wish EO to fail because he left RU , but don't care if he succeeds wherever he lands .
I'll thank him for his time as a Scarlet Knight player and then forget about him because he didn't want to continue playing for Rutgers ( for whatever reason ) and left.

Reactions: BoroKnight
Who'll ever know what the real reason is other than Gene...but NCAA was my guess. Same with Jonas. They push and push from a personal perspective to be the best player they can be, but at some point, they realize a personal goal is to make it to the postseason and they had no chance with their current team.

I think the team could have been better overall with EO... if he would have embraced and accepted a reduced role where his main job was rebounding hustle and doing the dirty work and limiting his touches and plays designed to run the offense through him.... I think it's pretty clear he wouldn't have been happy with that though so there could have also been team chemistry issues if Pike tried to move in that direction and EO became a problem not wanting to accept it.

People still underestimating Yeboah's value in a 4 who can shoot the 3 and space the floor. Our offense is really going to be a ton of fun to watch next year

Sometimes I think people forget you can view their past posts. Its actually hilarious.

Nailed it !!!

There is one guy in this thread who 3 weeks before the transfer raved about how good the lineup would be with Eugene and Yeboah playing together on the front court....now he says Eugene is a bum. No need to name him...I'm sure most know who it is.

Last edited:
I was hoping we would make the tourney FOR Eugene this year, now I hope even more that we make it IN SPITE of him. Whatever the reason, eff you Gene. The sky was falling when Corey left according to some on here...I have a good feeling that the younger guys will seize this great opportunity... not worried at all about Gene’s departure

probably me. I was very loud about that from the jump and people were killing me all year until pike bench him finally.

Alright. I don’t have the energy to look lol

This overseas trip should really help us be strong out the gate this year

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
kyk is trying to make up for lost time when his original prediction about Eugene being a scrub turned out woefully incorrect.

He’s got a clear agenda to play here & that is historical revisionism.
He's not a scrub but Eugene is clearly a special little PoS

Reactions: dkostus
So he woke up at the end of May and suddenly decided in one day...I want to make the tournament......doesn’t seem to be well thought out.

Reactions: SJScarlet
There have been other players,ie, Jones, Billet.Rosario and Carter who transferred because they wanted to play in the NCAA Tournament and they were criticized by Rutgers fans.Winning matters in in so many different ways.

Reactions: Knightmoves
So he woke up at the end of May and suddenly decided in one day...I want to make the tournament......doesn’t seem to be well thought out.

Or maybe he was in Canada discussing this with family when he made his final decision. Yep, that's exactly what happened. He was in Canada when he decided.

kyk is trying to make up for lost time when his original prediction about Eugene being a scrub turned out woefully incorrect.

He’s got a clear agenda to play here & that is historical revisionism.
I actually think I've admitted over 100 times that I was wrong on Eugene. Again fact is anyone can tell you he was downright awful as a freshman, had no inside game and tried to be more of a SF and he struggled dribbling. The job pike and jay young did with him should be put on a development tape.

Youre a dummy and/or don't view these boards enough to know i've admitted legitimately over 100 times i was wrong on eugene. With that said, we'll be better this year without him than we were last year with him

What happened to leaving because he was soft, scared and could not hack the trash talking in all those summer pickup games?

This is the most likely scenario because Rutgers probably looks more like an NIT team than a NCAA team this year.
That's my stance on it. Carino's stance is he left because he wanted to be in the tourney. Believe what you want but he was getting bodied in off-season runs at the rac

Eugene
giphy.gif

Even if it's his true reasoning, you don't degrade your former teammates like that. Eugene needed to have a little couth in this situation. He had none throughout the whole process.

Nailed it !!!

There is one guy in this thread who 3 weeks before the transfer raved about how good the lineup would be with Eugene and Yeboah playing together on the front court....now he says Eugene is a bum. No need to name him...I'm sure most know who it is.
LOL your obsession with me is pathetic. We would've had a good front court with eugene on the team. We still have a good front court with yeboah. And the fact is team will be better as better players than Eugene will get more minutes. You live in Ohio LOL

Reactions: chrisru99
LOL your obsession with me is pathetic. We would've had a good front court with eugene on the team. We still have a good front court with yeboah. And the fact is team will be better as better players than Eugene will get more minutes. You live in Ohio LOL

It's Revisionist history....your current take on Eugene. You hate it that he left (we all do) and you are taking a bunch of unwarranted shots at him... that's cool, just admit it man !! You are only saying these things because, in your words.... he is a backstabbing dirt bag.

We all get it, you are Hurt and you are lashing out.

Hey Shortpants, I'm going cow tipping later tonight here in Columbus, Ohio.

[jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile]

Last edited:
There have been other players,ie, Jones, Billet.Rosario and Carter who transferred because they wanted to play in the NCAA Tournament and they were criticized by Rutgers fans.Winning matters in in so many different ways.
Go f*ck yourself

To leave after being part of a three year rebuild is ludicrous. It’s a cowardly move and the way he did it was more cowardly. He quit on his team, his coach and the fans. And at the end of the day he won’t even have a Rutgers degree.

Just because the team was better off with Gene last season, doesn’t necessarily mean they’d be better off with him this season. I think that’s the point Kyk and NJHawk are trying to make. I don’t know that I disagree. That being said, I’d be happy if Gene stuck around, but I’m not crying now that he’s gone. We’ll be fine.

To bad we don't have an experienced HC like we have experienced Couch Coaches on this board. Rutgers could have saved the money that Pikiell spent flying to Canada to convince Eugene and his family to stick with Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT