ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Peterson on RU

Defensively everything looks great except for the DE. They have to be replaced. It did seems several teams had success against UW by running the ball. Passing the ball is not a wise thing to do against UW.

Have you guys loaded the box on run first teams successfully? We have 2 strong RBs and a speedster were hoping can get bubbles/sweeps to produce on offense. For QB I think most of us are hoping to have someone with little experience as we weren't happy with last year's starter.

Even if we are balanced over the season being run first early would not be surprising for our offense.

I watched a number of Washington games last year and they were underwhelming. I actually think WSU was much better.
I was thinking the same. Each time I watch Washington I like Rutgers chances more and more. About a week ago I watch the game against USC and it was OK. USC ran the ball well against UW. USC pushed them around. What hurt USC was their QB had his worst game of the season. UW has a good secondary, but they weren't forcing mistakes. USC defense did cause a lot of problems for UW. USC controlled LOS on both sides of the ball. UW QB (Browning) had happy feet after getting hit a few times. USC quit on the game when it still was in doubt. It appeared UW was surprised by USC actions in the 4th quarter.

Watched the Apple Cup (2015) just now
Against Wazzu, the Cougars didn't help itself with their starting QB out. The other thing that hurt Wazzu was several TO. Some were forced, but others were bonehead plays which is typical of Mike Leach teams. Leach teams are careless with the ball. UW never once feared Wazzu being able to run the ball.

Watched the bowl game this afternoon
Southern Miss did expose UW to still having some major holes with UW team. The run game is not good. Receivers are still up and down with their play. The OL was crap this game. Browning same them a few times by running for positive yards after it appeared he would be sacked. RB Gaskin is small and fast, but again a lot of his runs are for nothing or very few yards. Every once in awhile he'll hit the opposing team with a big run that gives you a misleading stat like his rushing average is over 5 per carry. I'm starting to look at them similar to PSU. There is a lot of hype, but all they really are is a 6 or 7 win yearly. Now that still more then what Rutgers has going for them right this moment, but if Rutgers QB play is average we're talking about a good game now.

I was thinking the same. Each time I watch Washington I like Rutgers chances more and more. About a week ago I watch the game against USC and it was OK. USC ran the ball well against UW. USC pushed them around. What hurt USC was their QB had his worst game of the season. UW has a good secondary, but they weren't forcing mistakes. USC defense did cause a lot of problems for UW. USC controlled LOS on both sides of the ball. UW QB (Browning) had happy feet after getting hit a few times. USC quit on the game when it still was in doubt. It appeared UW was surprised by USC actions in the 4th quarter.

Watched the Apple Cup (2015) just now
Against Wazzu, the Cougars didn't help itself with their starting QB out. The other thing that hurt Wazzu was several TO. Some were forced, but others were bonehead plays which is typical of Mike Leach teams. Leach teams are careless with the ball. UW never once feared Wazzu being able to run the ball.

Watched the bowl game this afternoon
Southern Miss did expose UW to still having some major holes with UW team. The run game is not good. Receivers are still up and down with their play. The OL was crap this game. Browning same them a few times by running for positive yards after it appeared he would be sacked. RB Gaskin is small and fast, but again a lot of his runs are for nothing or very few yards. Every once in awhile he'll hit the opposing team with a big run that gives you a misleading stat like his rushing average is over 5 per carry. I'm starting to look at them similar to PSU. There is a lot of hype, but all they really are is a 6 or 7 win yearly. Now that still more then what Rutgers has going for them right this moment, but if Rutgers QB play is average we're talking about a good game now.
Washington should have beat USC by no less than 17 points instead of beating them by five like they did. Washington blew it in the redzone not to mention two missed FG's in the first half vs SC. SC did have the running game going vs Washington in the 3rd qtr but Sark abandoned the run like an idiot and Washington had Kessler rattled.

As far as the Washington St. game goes .. granted Washington St. didn't have their starting QB but they did lose to the Huskies by a score of 45 - 10. The Washington defense was flying all over the field in the 2nd half.

You mention Washington not having a running game vs Southern Miss yet UW RB Myles Gaskin rushed for 181 yards vs Southern Miss while averaging 7 yards per carry in that game along with his 4 rushing TD's in that same game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3886818 <---- Myles Gaskin's stats for last season.

CYigboNUQAAcpQo.jpg

CXLJJNVWAAAhaUM.png

CWhc3nBVAAAHeww.jpg

DoakWalker_Watch_List.jpg

2016 Washington Preview: 10 Best Husky Players
2016 Washington Preview: Chris Petersen’s time is now

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/washington-huskies-football-preview-2016
Washington Huskies Football Preview 2016

What You Need to Know About the Washington Offense
The Huskies were extremely young on this side of the ball last year, so the inconsistency was basically built-in. But the program must decide whether it’s the team that averaged 18.5 points in six losses or the one that normed 47 points over the final three games. Since U-Dub used rookies and sophomores everywhere, including the all-true freshman backfield of Jake Browning and Myles Gaskin, it’s understandable why expectations are so rosy for 2016.

Gaskin was way ahead of his timetable, and Browning played very well for a first-timer in the Pac-12. Now, the duo needs more help. Browning will get an instant boost from the healthy return of WR John Ross III, one of the fastest athletes in the conference. Still, more receiving help is needed from the likes of Dante Pettis, Brayden Lenius and Chico McClatcher.

Up front, Washington continues to struggle in pass protection, though five linemen who logged at least 400 snaps in 2015 are back. Overall improvement hinges on how well second-year tackles Trey Adams and Kaleb McGary develop, and the shift to center of uber-versatile junior Coleman Shelton.

Key To The Washington Offense
Return of Ross. One of the offense’s biggest needs is more pop from the receivers, especially now that last year’s top two receivers have graduated. It’s no wonder the program is treating the return of John Ross III as a seminal offseason moment. The junior, who missed all of 2015 to a knee injury, averaged almost 22 yards a catch and returned two kickoffs for touchdowns in 2014. Ross ran a hand-timed 4.25 40 earlier this year, so he can take the top off the defense if Jake Browning has the arm strength to reach him.

What You Need to Know About the Washington Defense
Pete Kwiatkowski didn’t win the Broyles Award given to the country’s top assistant. Too bad, because it would be difficult to find a defensive coordinator who oversaw a better reclamation project in 2015. Last year’s D on Montlake was forced to replace seven starters, including four former Huskies selected in the first 44 picks of the NFL Draft. And yet, Washington still led the Pac-12 in scoring and total D.

It was a remarkably quick rebuilding job by the staff. Now that the script has flipped, with seven starters back, U-Dub believes it can dominate at a nationally high standard. Spearheaded by S Budda Baker and CB Sidney Jones, the secondary could be as air-tight as any in America this season.

The three-man line is big and nasty, with 321-pound Elijah Qualls poised to become a household name from defensive end. If there’s a concern about this unit heading into the summer, it’s at outside linebacker. Hard-charging Travis Feeney and Cory Littleton, putting pressure on seniors Joe Mathis and Psalm Wooching to deliver the best seasons of their careers.

Key To The Washington Defense
Joe BUCK. On Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense, the BUCK is one of the most important positions, because it’s where a lot of the Huskies’ pressure derives. The job, a hybrid between an end an outside linebacker, is tailor-made for production and success. Hau’oli Kikaha set the school sack record at the position in 2014, while Travis Feeney was an all-star there last fall. After playing on the D-line the past three years, Kwiatkowski is hoping senior Joe Mathis can capitalize on playing a spot that best fits his versatile skill set.

Washington Will Be Far Better If …

It becomes significantly more efficient with the ball. When it mattered most, third downs and in the red zone, the Husky attack had a nagging penchant for flat-lining. U-Dub ranked 82nd nationally in third-down conversions and 79th in red-zone touchdowns, hardly a surprise considering the quarterback was a true freshman. But now that QB Jake Browning and RB Myles Gaskin are a year older, they’ve got to be the sparkplugs for more extra points—and fewer field goal attempts—from PK Cameron Van Winkle.

Best Offensive Player

Sophomore RB Myles Gaskin. Considering how he was buried behind Dwayne Washington and Lavon Coleman on the preseason depth chart, Gaskin was a welcome revelation for a depleted U-Dub offense. After carrying the ball just five times in the opener, he quickly took flight to finish with at least 100 yards in eight of the final dozen games. Gaskin is combustible, consistent and up for any challenges, tearing through USC, Oregon and Stanford in consecutive games last October.

Best Defensive Player

Junior S Budda Baker. It’s taken just two years for Baker to become the emotional leader of a very good Husky defense. He epitomizes the trajectory of the D under Chris Petersen, bringing sharp instincts, versatility and production to the defensive backfield. And he has heart and boundless energy, the likes of which becomes contagious to the teammates around him. Baker is a coach’s dream, a unique blend of cornerback athleticism and linebacker toughness that often translates into greatness.

Key Player to a Successful Season

Sophomore QB Jake Browning. If Browning can take the next step in his maturation, the rest of the program is going to follow a similar path in 2016. The quarterback spot always matters more than everyone else, but even more so when that guy is entering his second year on campus. Browning did some nice things as a rookie, putting down a solid foundation. But now he has to surge forward in his development, particularly in the latter stages of games that could go in either direction.

The Season Will Be a Success If …

The Huskies win nine games for just the third time this century. After losing six times in each of Chris Petersen’s first two seasons, it’s time for Washington to move further from break-even and compete in the Pac-12 North. The staff has had continuity and the personnel will be even better after employing so many underclassmen in 2015. Plus, the non-conference slate is extremely cushy, with Rutgers, Idaho and Portland State traveling to Seattle to start the season.

Key Game

Oct. 8 at Oregon. As it pertains to the intense rivalry with the Ducks, it’s basically been a lost 21st century for the Huskies. Washington has dropped 12 in a row in the series, including last year’s 26-20 defeat at home. If U-Dub is truly about to hit a new gear under Chris Petersen—and make a play for the North Division—it must end Oregon’s dominance … in Eugene. While not quite Army beating Navy, a win at Autzen Stadium would be program-defining for Chris Petersen’s Huskies.

2015 Fun Stats
– Yards per play: Washington 6.0 – Opponents 4.9
– Sacks: Washington 34 – Opponents 33
– Second-half scoring: Washington 206 – Opponents 109

One thing that might help Rutgers is that we are rarely looked at as a serious threat in power 5 OOC games. It is probably easier for Ash to motivate the Rutgers players to get up for this game than it will be for Petersen with Wazzu.

All I can say is that we have some pretty good players who were coached by a Kyle Flood staff last year. Those players have now gone through a major strength & conditioning change with Kenny Parker and will be running a more wide open no huddle offense and a really coached up defense.

Reactions: eceres
Washington should have beat USC by no less than 17 points instead of beating them by five like they did. Washington blew it in the redzone not to mention two missed FG's in the first half vs SC. SC did have the running game going vs Washington in the 3rd qtr but Sark abandoned the run like an idiot and Washington had Kessler rattled.

As far as the Washington St. game goes .. granted Washington St. didn't have their starting QB but they did lose to the Huskies by a score of 45 - 10. The Washington defense was flying all over the field in the 2nd half.

You mention Washington not having a running game vs Southern Miss yet UW RB Myles Gaskin rushed for 181 yards vs Southern Miss while averaging 7 yards per carry in that game along with his 4 rushing TD's in that same game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/3886818 <---- Myles Gaskin's stats for last season.

CYigboNUQAAcpQo.jpg

CXLJJNVWAAAhaUM.png

CWhc3nBVAAAHeww.jpg

DoakWalker_Watch_List.jpg

I shouldn't say the run game isn't good. The issue I see with the run is the up and down nature of it. Gaskin has too many "no gain/short 2 yd gain" followed by a big run. It helps his average, but prevents UW from having sustained drives. Against USM in the first half Gaskin had trouble since USM was fresh. Gaskin had 9 carries for 11 yards. In the second half USM lack of size and depth hurt them. On Gaskin's 86 TD run there were 5 missed tackles. Four USM defenders put a hand on him within the first 5 yards of the carry. Gaskin isn't a big or super strong back who breaks a lot of tackles. USM was playing tired and it showed when UW started hitting on plays in the second half that were easily stopped in the first half.

I put USC (2015) in the same category as Michigan (2014) where they have tons of talent, but were a clustf*ck of a program. As you agreed with me USC ran the ball well. Don't know why they stopped. UW beat USC but UW lost to Utah and Arizona State. Two teams that USC bullied. USC was a great win, but you caught them at the right time just Rutgers did with Michigan.

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
It's amazing how a couple of things can change the whole future. If we won the WSU and Maryland games, we won't have Ash or this current recruiting buzz. That drop might have been out future. Amazing...

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
I shouldn't say the run game isn't good. The issue I see with the run is the up and down nature of it. Gaskin has too many "no gain/short 2 yd gain" followed by a big run. It helps his average, but prevents UW from having sustained drives. Against USM in the first half Gaskin had trouble since USM was fresh. Gaskin had 9 carries for 11 yards. In the second half USM lack of size and depth hurt them. On Gaskin's 86 TD run there were 5 missed tackles. Four USM defenders put a hand on him within the first 5 yards of the carry. Gaskin isn't a big or super strong back who breaks a lot of tackles. USM was playing tired and it showed when UW started hitting on plays in the second half that were easily stopped in the first half.

I put USC (2015) in the same category as Michigan (2014) where they have tons of talent, but were a clustf*ck of a program. As you agreed with me USC ran the ball well. Don't know why they stopped. UW beat USC but UW lost to Utah and Arizona State. Two teams that USC bullied. USC was a great win, but you caught them at the right time just Rutgers did with Michigan.
I'll be the first to admit the Washington offense sucked for most of the season. I blame that on a few things... true freshman QB, a young OL and the Washington OC sucks. His play calling is sub par to say the least. He's the only UW asst. coach to not get a contract extension at the end of last season. UW was horrible in the redzone and even worse on 3rd down conversions. He has this year to prove himself and if he screws up again he's gone. Even the games Washington did win big a lot of that was because of the defense.

Washington did make this move recently so hopefully that helps.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...f-tedford-hired-consultant-washington-huskies
Ex-Cal coach Jeff Tedford hired as consultant by Washington

Predict the worst possible outcome and then say "I hope I am wrong." I love when our fans do that.

A tough road game for us without a doubt but not our toughest game by any stretch so I am hoping for the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT