ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Peterson on RU

RRRRUUUU

Senior
Nov 19, 2005
sorry for the football thread guys.

Here's the question he's asked:

The opening game versus Rutgers, new coach, he’s never been a head coach, but he’s been at Ohio State and been at Arkansas, but there’s nothing really to go on in terms of head coach. It’s only an opening game, but how do you prepare for a team with a totally new coaching staff?

For some reason I can't copy his response but it's in the middle of the article:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...d-jake-browning-and-more-at-pac-12-media-day/

PETERSEN: Yeah, that’s hard. I wish we played them the second game or third game, but it is what it is. That will be a big advantage for Rutgers without question. You know, I think on defense, I think one of the things that a good defense has to be built is to be able to defend a bunch of different type schemes because you see it all in college football. It’s different than pro football. I mean, everybody kind of runs the same stuff in pro football. But whether it’s going to be a spread offense or more of a power offense or a power spread or they run the quarterback, we see it all, and so everything has to be built around being very adjustable and have answers to all these things. And I think the defense, our hats off to those kids and our coaches. You know, they created a system that is like–it’s good, and they can defend a lot of things.Now, you know, we’re going to have to play fundamental, solid rule football because who knows what they’re going to throw at us, and adjust on the fly. I mean, that’s what that game is going to be all about. It’s going to be a hard, tough first game.

I would pray for rain but in Washington it is to their advantage. I just want a team that does not give away downs and series with penalties and sloppy tackling and allowing their crowd to control the event.

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
Let's not kid ourselves. Peterson is going to load the box and make our QB, whoever that is, beat them. Given our roster strengths and weaknesses, wouldn't you?

He's also going to take full advantage of our completely inexperienced LB unit. Sucks to have to say it but that's what a smart (and he is) coach would do IMHO.

Chris Petersen is a GREAT Coach.Chris Ash is GOING to become a Great Coach.RUTGERS will have its work cut out for itself. BUT, I like to believe that we are on a roll and that this opener is up for grabs for the team that wants it most. That's RUTGERS!
Washington has proven advantages in too many areas. It will absolutely not be who wants it the most. Wishful thinking.

The above 3 posts illustrate why RU is a 23 point underdog at this point, lol. Yes, what Peterson accomplished at Boise St was remarkable, and appears to have UW poised for a big season. And yes, RU will be learning a new offense with QBs who may not be optimal for the Spread. We can only hope the Mehringer, Neiuman (sp?) and Ash come up with great schemes to keep the game close and give RU a shot in the 4th quarter. We do have the element of surprise on our side, for what that's worth. A interesting game, no doubt.

Also IMO, this is one of the best opening weekends of College Football in recent memory. Some Great interconference games and even 1 or 2 good In Conference games ! I hope to watch a ton of CFB that weekend .

Let's not kid ourselves. Peterson is going to load the box and make our QB, whoever that is, beat them. Given our roster strengths and weaknesses, wouldn't you?
I humbly disagree. I think Peterson is going to play a conservative defense and see what we are doing. Peterson has so much confidence in his D that he doesn't really have to run/blitz at least not for the first half.

Reactions: ruready07

You can't load the box when we will be running out of 3 or 4 wide set. The beauty of the power spread is that it creates running lanes by spreading the D out.

Reactions: ruready07
Final two games last year -- Washington beat Washington State and its Air Raid Offense, 45-10. Arch-rivals. Southern Miss lost to Washington 44-31, a lot closer. Both Washington State and Southern Miss are better teams than Rutgers.

I think we'll play it more conservative and take some shots when it seems in our favor. Should keep it close. Plus we don't want to tip our hand to Howard. Can't afford to be 0-2.

I had a dream last night that we were winning 45 - 23 at the half. So there's a pretty good chance we'll be ahead for 30 mins.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Final two games last year -- Washington beat Washington State and its Air Raid Offense, 45-10. Arch-rivals. Southern Miss lost to Washington 44-31, a lot closer. Both Washington State and Southern Miss are better teams than Rutgers.

Washington State was without their starting QB for that game.

Reactions: shields
Washington State was without their star QB. Against Southern Miss, Washington controlled the game. At one point in the 4th quarter UW was up 41-24. UW mistake was taking the foot off the gas. As I said several times on board Rutgers is not a 23 pt dog. UW has holes and major ones that the experts and the herd of average fans ignore. I posted a link from a local (Seattle) radio station and they cover the Huskies in depth. Two of the guys are beat writers for local papers and they broke down UW and said they are OK, but not what the national media is making them out to be. UW is probably a year away from being a very good team. The only question I have for Rutgers is the QB position. If that can be answered it will determine how successful the season is. Rutgers has players in other positions to challenge UW. I will keep saying this until people take time to look at both sides of the picture.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-rising-expectations-for-uw-football-in-2016/

I think we'll play it more conservative and take some shots when it seems in our favor. Should keep it close. Plus we don't want to tip our hand to Howard. Can't afford to be 0-2.
Howard?

Really?

Should it really matter?

I think that was sarcasm.

Washington should control this game. I predict a workmanlike win, but they won't cover.

If RU pulls the upset, we have a live one in Ash.

Reactions: RUinOhio
sorry for the football thread guys.

Here's the question he's asked:

The opening game versus Rutgers, new coach, he’s never been a head coach, but he’s been at Ohio State and been at Arkansas, but there’s nothing really to go on in terms of head coach. It’s only an opening game, but how do you prepare for a team with a totally new coaching staff?

For some reason I can't copy his response but it's in the middle of the article:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...d-jake-browning-and-more-at-pac-12-media-day/
I mentioned this in the Rutgers vs Washington prediction thread. There's no game tape on this Rutgers team and that is a big time disadvantage for Washington. This game is going to be a lot closer imo than what Vegas has the line set at.

I humbly disagree. I think Peterson is going to play a conservative defense and see what we are doing. Peterson has so much confidence in his D that he doesn't really have to run/blitz at least not for the first half.
You are both right. UW will definitely come out conservative to see how RU will approach the game. After what I expect is a run heavy game plan (lots of trickery but run heavy) UW will load the box and dare RU to throw.

I mentioned this in the Rutgers vs Washington prediction thread. There's no game tape on this Rutgers team and that is a big time disadvantage for Washington. This game is going to be a lot closer imo than what Vegas has the line set at.
If RU is ready. I'm not sure they can be considering how much change has occurred.

If RU is ready. I'm not sure they can be considering how much change has occurred.
Washington has no idea what kind of offense Rutgers will be running .. not unless they got a spy into Rutgers summer practices and had them video taped ... which is something an SEC team might do imo.

Reactions: Cabana Man
Washington has proven advantages in too many areas. It will absolutely not be who wants it the most. Wishful thinking.
If I say it loud enough and often, then it must be true.:rolleyes: Give some solid facts to back up your claim, then you might convince others Washington is a bully and Rutgers doesn't stand a chance.

Washington State was without their star QB. Against Southern Miss, Washington controlled the game. At one point in the 4th quarter UW was up 41-24. UW mistake was taking the foot off the gas. As I said several times on board Rutgers is not a 23 pt dog. UW has holes and major ones that the experts and the herd of average fans ignore. I posted a link from a local (Seattle) radio station and they cover the Huskies in depth. Two of the guys are beat writers for local papers and they broke down UW and said they are OK, but not what the national media is making them out to be. UW is probably a year away from being a very good team. The only question I have for Rutgers is the QB position. If that can be answered it will determine how successful the season is. Rutgers has players in other positions to challenge UW. I will keep saying this until people take time to look at both sides of the picture.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-rising-expectations-for-uw-football-in-2016/

And is no one going to mention that a Kyle Flood "coached" Rutgers team lost by 3 to WashState last year. That WashState is a much better team comment is ridiculous and one has to wonder what that poster is thinking.

If you believe what you say to be true....God help us!!!! We better be better than those 2 teams or get out of D1 FB....

2017 should be Washington's year to shine ... on paper anyways. This season Vegas has Washington with 9 wins. 9 - 3 with a chance for a 10 win season (bowl game) would be great imo.

Washington's potential weak spots are WR's and OL. Other than those the Huskies look solid.

If you believe what you say to be true....God help us!!!! We better be better than those 2 teams or get out of D1 FB....
Washington State went 9 - 4 last season while beating Miami in the Sun Bowl. They were a last second missed FG from beating Stanford. Granted they were without their starting QB vs Washington last year but that's the breaks of the game.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Washington State was without their starting QB for that game.
You mean Wazzou actually had STAR PLAYERS?? They play a system that benefits them but don't win against many on talent...they just plug in the system guys...I won't denigrate them but come on?

You mean Wazzou actually had STAR PLAYERS?? They play a system that benefits them but don't win against many on talent...they just plug in the system guys...I won't denigrate them but come on?
Washington St. runs a complex passing system and it seemed to work for them last season. They should do just as good if not better this year. There are four teams that could win the PAC North this year and it wouldn't be a surprise to anyone ... those four teams being: Oregon, Stanford, Washington and Washington State.

The big disadvantage Washington State has is recruiting. That school is located in the middle of nowhere and I mean it's isolated and a lot of the big name California players are turned off by that.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
This is the team recruiting rankings from Scout. Washington and Rutgers are ranked 17th and 18th on there respectively. Washington recruited a kicker/punter from Australia who wasn't ranked and that brought down their ratings.

recruiting_zpsworciqfs.jpg

Washington St. runs a complex passing system and it seemed to work for them last season. They should do just as good if not better this year. There are four teams that could win the PAC North this year and it wouldn't be a surprise to anyone ... those four teams being: Oregon, Stanford, Washington and Washington State.

The big disadvantage Washington State has is recruiting. That school is located in the middle of nowhere and I mean it's isolated and a lot of the big name California players are turned off by that.
UW receivers are similar to Rutgers. Yes there are several guys returning, but none of them did anything to stand out. From a statistical standpoint UW lost their #1, #2, #3 and #5 leading receivers from last year. One (WR), two (TE) and three (RB) are all in the NFL. Five (WR) left the team to handle personal problems. One of the local radio stations questioned do the loss of several key receivers making it hard on the development of the young QB? Last year the QB got better, but he was leaning on the top 3 receivers to help improve from his early season problems.
The OL situation for UW is crazy. I believe UW has 7 or 8 players with at least 5 or more starts. That looks great on paper, but the reason why so many guys have started is because they can't stay healthy. This past spring several guys missed time. It seems the smallest injury takes them down. The local beat writers said it could be an issue on how well they play together since there's been so many guys are in and out of the lineup.
Defensively everything looks great except for the DE. They have to be replaced. It did seems several teams had success against UW by running the ball. Passing the ball is not a wise thing to do against UW.

Last edited:
UW receivers are similar to Rutgers. Yes there are several guys returning, but none of them did anything to stand out. From a statistical standpoint UW lost their #1, #2, #3 and #5 leading receivers from last year. One (WR), two (TE) and three (RB) are all in the NFL. Five (WR) left the team to handle personal problems. One of the local radio stations questioned do the loss of several key receiver hard the development of the young QB? The QB got better, but he was leaning on the top 3 receivers to help improve his early season problems.
The OL situation for UW is crazy. I believe UW has 7 or 8 players with at least 5 or more starts. That looks great on paper, but the reason why so many guys have started is because they can't stay healthy. This past spring several guys missed time. It seems the smallest injury takes them down. The local beat writers said it could be an issue on how well they play together since there's been so many guys in and out of the lineup.
Defensively everything looks great except for the DE. They have to be replaced. It did seems several teams had success against UW by running the ball. Passing the ball is not a wise thing to do against UW.
That sums it up pretty good ^^. The OL is what has me worried the most. They gave up 33 sacks last season.

This game line will change as camp closes. Key for Rutgers will be whether they can emerge from camp relatively injury free. Any major injuries and this game gets out of control in UW favor real fast. We still lack depth.

And is no one going to mention that a Kyle Flood "coached" Rutgers team lost by 3 to WashState last year. That WashState is a much better team comment is ridiculous and one has to wonder what that poster is thinking.

And absolutely should've won that game last year. I still recall the easy missed INT on WSU's last drive when we had them pinned back on the 10 (and it wasn't just that he missed the INT, but the ball somehow got through to the WR for a 24-yard gain - just knocking it down would've at least negated the yards) and then RU bungling the rest of WSU's last drive badly, letting them go the length of the field in under 90 seconds. Oh yeah, we also had 3 turnovers and 11 penalties, including 2 that negated TDs, after which we didn't score. That game killed me - honestly, Flood might still be here if we won that game and Maryland to go 6-6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT