ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff's Speed on the court

RUHouston

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2009
Flower Mound, TX
As someone who never saw Cliff play in a high school game I'm hoping some here who have can offer comments. According to the latest on NJ.com, Cliff is alleged to be as fast up and down the court as JY! This comes from quotes by Pike AND Myles....very interesting! So, can anyone who's watched Cliff play attest to the speed?

In a conversation with Rutgers' radio play-by-play announcer Jerry Recco for the “Inside Rutgers Athletics" podcast in September, Pikiell compared Omoruyi’s baseline-to-baseline speed with that of redshirt senior guard Jacob Young, one of the fastest players in the Big Ten. He stood by it when reminded of the comment.

“He’s really fast,” Pikiell said. “And he’s a great kid that works hard every day.”

NJ.com Story (Don't click if you don't want to!)

As someone who never saw Cliff play in a high school game I'm hoping some here who have can offer comments. According to the latest on NJ.com, Cliff is alleged to be as fast up and down the court as JY! This comes from quotes by Pike AND Myles....very interesting! So, can anyone who's watched Cliff play attest to the speed?

In a conversation with Rutgers' radio play-by-play announcer Jerry Recco for the “Inside Rutgers Athletics" podcast in September, Pikiell compared Omoruyi’s baseline-to-baseline speed with that of redshirt senior guard Jacob Young, one of the fastest players in the Big Ten. He stood by it when reminded of the comment.

“He’s really fast,” Pikiell said. “And he’s a great kid that works hard every day.”

NJ.com Story (Don't click if you don't want to!)
Wow - that’s not only very impressive but exciting. Did not expect that.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I don't know about that down court speed, but from the clips we've seen posted on social media, Cliff looks like just a SICK athlete.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I would love to see this line up press 1-2-1-1

cliff at the top
Myles in the back
Ron playing the diamond
Geo and montez playing the wings

lots of length ...

Reactions: BigLou
I also like that he has the athleticism to block a shot even if he is a bit out of position on defense. He's the kind of guy that when you think a player has half a step on him, he blocks it anyway.

Reactions: DECKRU and Scangg
I saw Cliff many times play in high school. He runs like a deer and is very athletic for a big guy. I think our fans will love him.
I like Runs like a.deer, when talking CO coated to JY.

JY at times early in season ran line a bull in a china shop. Loved the tenacity, but really loved when speed was under control.

Cliff in transition getting lobs or cleaning up a transition miss for dunks is going to be a regular occurrence... its going to be fun to watch

Reactions: vilo and RUHouston
I say no way. Cliff is athletically gifted but he’s still a freshman. This is Myles’ 4th year in Pike’s system.

I agree. Their is no need to rush Cliff. However, Pike may want to conserve Myles' fouls like he did last year and start Cliff so Myles can make it the whole game.

What I look forward to is with Myles/Cliff manning the 5 for 40 min protecting the paint and rim protecting, our guards can focus on the perimeter and contest 3’s. Looking for our D to be even better and staple of our team.

I've seen him multiple times very quick, very athletic and very raw on the offensive side of the ball. Hes avery hard worker. Hes night and day different than when he arrived at RC. He got hurt a little stuck behind Naz Reid. You cant teach 6'10 to 7Ft and he us athletic as they come hes going to wreak havoc on the defensive side of the ball while his offensive skills continue to develop

I agree. Their is no need to rush Cliff. However, Pike may want to conserve Myles' fouls like he did last year and start Cliff so Myles can make it the whole game.
Going to surprise a lot of people when he is starting week 1

I saw Cliff many times play in high school. He runs like a deer and is very athletic for a big guy. I think our fans will love him.
what a great thing to read... runs like a deer.. he should be able to tire out a lot of big men and if we push the transition game, get little guys back on D into foul trouble trying to cover for their dragging big man... of course.. opponents big men will only tire out if made to come all the way back... if not it could mean Cliff is going to have to hustle to get back on D.

Not so sure Cliff starts. I think you may see either Montez or Oscar at the 3 with Harp at the 4. Cliff is still a Frosh and may be prone to fouls. You don't want both him and Myles picking up early fouls. Also, I'm curious to see how Duke has progressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT