ADVERTISEMENT

Clock management at the end

I do not think the time management was perfect. I have no issue with not passing the ball once we were in FG range. Handing off to a RB that secures the ball on a run between the tackles is fine in those situations.
No passes or pitches for sweeps are necessary

Their coach blew it, not Flood. He kicked the game winner as the last play.

He played it perfect. The other coach didn't, but how is that Floods fault? What would you have done differently if you were Flood?

Oh vey.

Can you acknowledge that if the IU coach called TO at :13 (when he had an opportunity) it wasn't "perfect?"

Clock management is Game Theory. You're looking at the result and calling it "perfection." It wasn't perfection. It worked because the other guy is a dumb ass.

Why spike the ball on 1st down?

I don't get it.

you're clearly drunk.

Taking the TO there FORCES US TO KICKOFF THE FOOTBALL. That is IU's highest percentage chance to win the game in regulation--unless you were banking on a 3rd blocked kick that also gets returned 85 yards for a TD.

Oh vey.

Can you acknowledge that if the IU coach called TO at :13 (when he had an opportunity) it wasn't "perfect?"

Clock management is Game Theory. You're looking at the result and calling it "perfection." It wasn't perfection. It worked because the other guy is a dumb ass.

Why spike the ball on 1st down?

Your whole argument is based on what they didn't do. Flood did perfectly what was in his control. I ask again, if you were a flood, what would you have done differently?

Reactions: rutgers48
the clock management was good since we planned on relying on a FG to win it or go into overtime. It was also a pussy move. Inside the 40 with 40 sec you go for the TD and if that fails you for for the FG. You don't start with crawling up in the fetal position. But that weak sauce move is characteristic of Kyle Flood.

Perhaps the single worste post I have ever read on this board. No clue at all what you are talking about. Completely pathetic

The last 4 downs were not played "perfectly" despite the result.

Indiana's clock management was atrocious.

They called their 2nd TO at :47.

We completed a pass for a 1st down.

Then spiked the ball on 1st down.

Martin ran for 4 yards on 2nd down.

IU lets the clock run until we call timeout at :18

Martin runs for 1 yard.

We call TO at :05.

IU ends game with a TO in their pocket.

First, we look good because IU effed up the management.

Second, we were in perfect position to line up on 3rd down with a TO in our pocket to guard against a bad snap and didn't take it.

You guys are looking at the last play of the game and the result and saying it was played perfectly.

Silly.
It was the correct call

This thread is truly scaring me because we either have a bunch of fans who cannot grasp the idea of proper clock management or a bunch of fans who like to post drunk messages (Personally I am hoping it is just the latter)

Because basically it boils down to this...

The play calling and everything up until the :47 mark was perfection because we were able to whittle down the clock from 4:47 to :47 while also driving all the way from our own 32 yard line to the IND 14 yard line.

But at the :47 mark and after... if you cannot understand the blunders that we made, then you are very confused about proper clock management or you are very drunk.

The first mistake was spiking the ball with :47 seconds after Agudosi had just gotten the big 1st down that brought us down to the IND 14 yard line. We are now in very easy field goal position, you DO NOT EVER STOP THE CLOCK HERE!?!?!?! Why is anyone even arguing this I am completely bewildered? This was a glaring mistake. The clock already was temporarily stopped because we had just gotten a first down. This leaves plenty of time for McDaniels to get the play in which should have been a simple run towards the middle of the field to center it up for the kicker. By not spiking the ball, you now force Indiana to burn a timeout here or if they choose not to use the timeout, then it lets us burn more of the clock to ensure a field goal attempt with no time on the clock (Which is the ultimate goal of proper clock management).

So now after the spike, we decide to run it with Martin as we should have, but then we AGAIN take a timeout with :18 seconds on the clock. Again this MAKES NO SENSE. Indiana at this time still has their timeout. YOU MUST FORCE THEM TO USE IT TO STOP THE CLOCK! We have just run the ball to the middle of the field and are at the IND 10 yard line! THIS IS PERFECT... there is no reason for us to call this timeout!

So now at this point the clock reads :18 and we run the ball with Martin again. Now because of our previous blunders, Indiana still has a timeout left that they should have called at the end of Martin's run when there was roughly :15 left on the clock, but for whatever inexplicable reason the Indiana coach did not use it. The reason Indiana should OBVIOUSLY use their timeout here is because by stopping the clock at :15 they have now guaranteed that even if we make the field goal, they would at least get the kickoff to return and possibly even one hail mary as well. THIS IS WHY all the previous mistakes by us after the :47 matters because it enables Indiana to be in a position where they would be able to get the ball back after our field goal!
But anyway the Indiana coach either forgot he had a timeout or is just totally clueless, so then we correctly use our timeout to stop the clock before our field goal, but for some reason we call it at :05 seconds?? This was another mistake!! You should call this timeout with :02 or :01 seconds left not :05 seconds left! You do this to ensure that the field goal is the last play of the game and that you don't leave even :01 second left on the clock which would mean you would have to kick the ball off to Indiana. (And side note - the ball went through the uprights with :02 seconds left on the clock and I believe that the only reason the last :02 seconds were run off was because Indiana had committed a penalty while trying to block the kick which causes a clock runoff. I am not 100% on this side note though so if anyone is a rules expert please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.)

So to recap, yes the end result was a WIN and I literally couldn't be happier about it. That was possibly the most exciting and craziest game I have watched in a long time and all Rutgers fans should be celebrating because our bowl hopes are still ALIVE!

Also, our teams clock management from the 4:47 mark to the :47 mark was INCREDIBLE and possibly perfect because it can be tough to try to run time off the clock while also trying to march down the field from your own 32 yard line all the way into field goal range.

But at the :47 mark and after there is NO QUESTION that the clock management was poor. That should be so obvious it is a bit scary that anyone isn't seeing it. But luckily for us it all worked out and we did not have to kick the ball back to Indiana after the field goal despite all of our clock management mistakes.

But anyway I'm glad to have been able to share another crazy Rutgers comeback with everyone on the forum....GO RU!

#ChopOhioState! (LOL)

What if that kick was blocked like a lot of our extra pts were? You'd be screaming for Flood's head for relying on an inconsistent kicking unit. We should have aimed for the TD and then settled for the FG as a fall back. Instead we were playing for a FG the whole time. That is a loser mentality and is typical of Flood coaching.

What if we went for the TD and we had a turnover?

I don't know, but I would guess the posters that are analyzing history here have never had to to do it in the moment. Those stops slowed things down so RU could get organized to do what had to be done. Flood engineered a victory. Could it have been more perfect? maybe. But focusing on Indiana not getting the ball back is secondary to focusing on getting the go ahead score to begin with. Maybe Flood wanted more time to consider the odds of pulling off a touchdown given obvious concerns about kicking. These criticisms are BS IMO.

I don't know, but I would guess the posters that are analyzing history here have never had to to do it in the moment. Those stops slowed things down so RU could get organized to do what had to be done. Flood engineered a victory. Could it have been more perfect? maybe. But focusing on Indiana not getting the ball back is secondary to focusing on getting the go ahead score to begin with. Maybe Flood wanted more time to consider the odds of pulling off a touchdown given obvious concerns about kicking. These criticisms are BS IMO.

This plus 1,000,000. Someone end this stupid thread. Holy hell we took 4:47 off the clock and won the damn game. 4:47 to set up the game winning field goal. That is the perfect result you want to reach with 4:47 on the clock. Could they have gotten that same result by doing things differently? sure. But my god we have the worst fans in the universe. Why not break things down to the millisecond since some of you guys clearly have the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJIT_1990
This plus 1,000,000. Someone end this stupid thread. Holy hell we took 4:47 off the clock and won the damn game. 4:47 to set up the game winning field goal. That is the perfect result you want to reach with 4:47 on the clock. Could they have gotten that same result by doing things differently? sure. But my god we have the worst fans in the universe. Why not break things down to the millisecond since some of you guys clearly have the time.

Sure a win is win and that is great because that is the ultimate goal. But mistakes are mistakes. While in this situation the mistakes didn't cost us the game.... but in another situation it could cost us the game. That is the whole point of why this is important to correct.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
Sure a win is win and that is great because that is the ultimate goal. But mistakes are mistakes. While in this situation the mistakes didn't cost us the game.... but in another situation it could cost us the game. That is the whole point of why this is important to correct.
------------

I read your long post and you are correct that spiking the ball immediately after the first down was not THE best call....I questioned it immediately at that time....Possibly coach did not want to just run a simple handoff after running up to the line, worrying something could
go wrong on a hastened play....

I think it was more that he probably wanted time to think about what to do next, the spike bought him time...... the spike allowed the team
to settle down and approach the next three downs a little more calmly

what is probably more realistic is that the coach was more concerned with aligning the team for the field goal over the next two plays, then worrying if he was leaving a seconds on the clock after making it...... you can assume that is an error in judgment if you want.

we are debating that a call could have left a few more seconds on the clock for Indiana.....we can have that debate if we want

but you know what?.... I would take us being in that situation every day of the week if it means a chance of winning.... giving the other team
the ball on a kickoff with less than 15 seconds on the clock, for example, you should win....

Ask Joe Pisarchik how that can work out. :sunglasses:
----------
which is part of my post directly above.... you run up to the line, all excited and quickly run a play....stuff can happen....it was not the
best call for time management, but things worked out.

we should not really over analyze the one call... we just had an amazing comeback.

Flood engineered a victory.

So Flood "engineered" this 55-52 victory?

While I enjoyed the win, to me it felt more like a runaway train without an engineer at times -- not unlike much of this season and preseason. I think we are lucky to have escaped Indiana with a win.

Frankly, my confidence level is not very high as this train heads down the track toward Columbus station.

We won on the last play of the game. Can't get much more perfect time management than that.

Yes, but only thanks to a MASSIVE coaching blunder by the Indiana coach to not use his last timeout after we ran the ball on 3rd down and the play ended with about 15 seconds lefts on the clock. 99.99% of the time the opposing coach uses their timeout there to ensure that they get the opportunity to at least receive the kick off and possibly even get off a hail mary.

And the only reason I am even talking about this is because SO many people were talking about how this was perfect clock management. It was far from perfect clock management and it matters because against better teams in different situations it could end up costing us victories if we continue to practice poor clock management.

But yeah big picture, I am extremely excited for the big win though that keeps our bowl season alive!

This thread is truly scaring me because we either have a bunch of fans who cannot grasp the idea of proper clock management or a bunch of fans who like to post drunk messages (Personally I am hoping it is just the latter)

The play calling and everything up until the :47 mark was perfection because we were able to whittle down the clock from 4:47 to :47 while also driving all the way from our own 32 yard line to the IND 14 yard line.

But at the :47 mark and after... if you cannot understand the blunders that we made, then you are very confused about proper clock management or you are very drunk.

The first mistake was spiking the ball with :47 seconds after Agudosi had just gotten the big 1st down that brought us down to the IND 14 yard line. We are now in very easy field goal position, you DO NOT EVER STOP THE CLOCK HERE!?!?!?! Why is anyone even arguing this I am completely bewildered? This was a glaring mistake. The clock already was temporarily stopped because we had just gotten a first down. This leaves plenty of time for McDaniels to get the play in which should have been a simple run towards the middle of the field to center it up for the kicker. By not spiking the ball, you now force Indiana to burn a timeout here or if they choose not to use the timeout, then it lets us burn more of the clock to ensure a field goal attempt with no time on the clock (Which is the ultimate goal of proper clock management).

So now after the spike, we decide to run it with Martin as we should have, but then we AGAIN take a timeout with :18 seconds on the clock. Again this MAKES NO SENSE. Indiana at this time still has their timeout. YOU MUST FORCE THEM TO USE IT TO STOP THE CLOCK! We have just run the ball to the middle of the field and are at the IND 10 yard line! THIS IS PERFECT... there is no reason for us to call this timeout!

So now at this point the clock reads :18 and we run the ball with Martin again. Now because of our previous blunders, Indiana still has a timeout left that they should have called at the end of Martin's run when there was roughly :15 left on the clock, but for whatever inexplicable reason the Indiana coach did not use it. The reason Indiana should OBVIOUSLY use their timeout here is because by stopping the clock at :15 they have now guaranteed that even if we make the field goal, they would at least get the kickoff to return and possibly even one hail mary as well. THIS IS WHY all the previous mistakes by us after the :47 matters because it enables Indiana to be in a position where they would be able to get the ball back after our field goal!
But anyway the Indiana coach either forgot he had a timeout or is just totally clueless, so then we correctly use our timeout to stop the clock before our field goal, but for some reason we call it at :05 seconds?? This was another mistake!! You should call this timeout with :02 or :01 seconds left not :05 seconds left! You do this to ensure that the field goal is the last play of the game and that you don't leave even :01 second left on the clock which would mean you would have to kick the ball off to Indiana. (And side note - the ball went through the uprights with :02 seconds left on the clock and I believe that the only reason the last :02 seconds were run off was because Indiana had committed a penalty while trying to block the kick which causes a clock runoff. I am not 100% on this side note though so if anyone is a rules expert please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.)

So to recap, yes the end result was a WIN and I literally couldn't be happier about it. That was possibly the most exciting and craziest game I have watched in a long time and all Rutgers fans should be celebrating because our bowl hopes are still ALIVE!

Also, our teams clock management from the 4:47 mark to the :47 mark was INCREDIBLE and possibly perfect because it can be tough to try to run time off the clock while also trying to march down the field from your own 32 yard line all the way into field goal range.

But at the :47 mark and after there is NO QUESTION that the clock management was poor. That should be so obvious it is a bit scary that anyone isn't seeing it. But luckily for us it all worked out and we did not have to kick the ball back to Indiana after the field goal despite all of our clock management mistakes.

But anyway I'm glad to have been able to share another crazy Rutgers comeback with everyone on the forum....GO RU!

#ChopOhioState! (LOL)

Great post. I agree with just about everything in your post with the exception of your hopes that bunch of our fans like to post drunk messages. I'm convinced they have no grasp of proper clock mgmt.

There were two mistakes made by us, the spike and the timeout at 18. But neither are really all that huge. Worse case is Indy calls timeout at 12 or 13 left, we kick a FG and they are receiving the kickoff with 7-8 seconds on the clock. Not a huge deal. We squib it and they have one play from their 30 to score.
So, it wasn't perfect but also not a rather shaking mistake.
What would have been a mistake would to do anything that blitz suggested. Never have I seen such football ignorance...

In someway IU should have used their last TO......How would you not ice the kicker? Like someone posted it must be written down somewhere FG's run 5 sec off play clocks.

#ChopOhioState! (LOL)

Nice lecture and long winded comment...lol

Teams call time outs in those situations because it gives you the opportunity to discuss the plays you want to run....OC gets to explain everything to the entire offense and reiterate "no penalties, no fumble". Maybe the OC and Flood talk about a going for the TD on a high percentage play action fake, rollout and an extremely high percentage pass to the TE for a TD ? With the kicking woes, this was a viable option.

Regarding the spike on first down.....It was not horrible. It is better to spike it, stop the clock and let the OC signal in a play. The alternative was rushing to the line to get a quick play off......that's when mistakes happen.....missed snap, missed handoff to a RB, etc., etc.

Here's a few questions: After rushing to the line on first down, what was the play? Why not spike it and take your time to run a good play?

Last edited:
Nice lecture and long winded comment...lol

Teams call time outs in those situations because it gives you the opportunity to discuss the plays you want to run....OC gets to explain everything to the entire offense and reiterate "no penalties, no fumble". Maybe the OC and Flood talk about a going for the TD on a high percentage play action fake, rollout and an extremely high percentage pass to the TE for a TD ? With the kicking woes, this was a viable option.

Regarding the spike on first down.....It was not horrible. It is better to spike it, stop the clock and let the OC signal in a play. The alternative was rushing to the line to get a quick play off......that's when mistakes happen.....missed snap, missed handoff to a RB, etc., etc.

Here's a few questions: After rushing to the line on first down, what was the play? Why not spike it and take your time to run a good play?

The MOST PERFECT call on the first down is to run a stretch running play which would have chewed up the 8-10 seconds those of us you aren't fellating ourselves are talking about. At that point, even if the play is run for no gain, you are on the 16 yard line with approximately :37 seconds left on 2nd down.

My comments in this thread are about those looking at the outcome of the final play and shaking their heads and saying "perfection." It wasn't perfection. Was it atrocious like his counterpart? no.

But spiking the ball on 1st down, with 3 TOs, makes no sense. None. And in a game against someone who can actually coach, that could become problematic.

Spike it and save your three TO's for emergencies or when you need to have a sideline discussion about options. Save the TO's because with them you still have run or pass options and you can still attack the entire field.

In that scenario, I just don't like rushing to get and play off.

Last edited:

#ChopOhioState! (LOL)
And this is the main reason i like MikeRU.....he's a good fan sober or drunk....personally i almost gave up...but know how things change i turned it back on just in time to celebrate.

------------

I read your long post and you are correct that spiking the ball immediately after the first down was not THE best call....I questioned it immediately at that time....Possibly coach did not want to just run a simple handoff after running up to the line, worrying something could
go wrong on a hastened play....

I think it was more that he probably wanted time to think about what to do next, the spike bought him time...... the spike allowed the team
to settle down and approach the next three downs a little more calmly

what is probably more realistic is that the coach was more concerned with aligning the team for the field goal over the next two plays, then worrying if he was leaving a seconds on the clock after making it...... you can assume that is an error in judgment if you want.

we are debating that a call could have left a few more seconds on the clock for Indiana.....we can have that debate if we want

but you know what?.... I would take us being in that situation every day of the week if it means a chance of winning.... giving the other team
the ball on a kickoff with less than 15 seconds on the clock, for example, you should win....

Agree, rushing to get a play off is not good.

Reactions: NJIT_1990
The MOST PERFECT call on the first down is to run a stretch running play which would have chewed up the 8-10 seconds those of us you aren't fellating ourselves are talking about. At that point, even if the play is run for no gain, you are on the 16 yard line with approximately :37 seconds left on 2nd down.

My comments in this thread are about those looking at the outcome of the final play and shaking their heads and saying "perfection." It wasn't perfection. Was it atrocious like his counterpart? no.

But spiking the ball on 1st down, with 3 TOs, makes no sense. None. And in a game against someone who can actually coach, that could become problematic.
-----------------
I agree that if the team had its composure a stretch play run would be best..... I think Flood just did not want to have anything go wrong..

suppose you get called for a hold or a block in the back on that play?....remember you are running up to the line and hastily calling a play, in position already for the win..... I did not like the spike as it happened but it cost us nothing....

What if that kick was blocked like a lot of our extra pts were? You'd be screaming for Flood's head for relying on an inconsistent kicking unit. We should have aimed for the TD and then settled for the FG as a fall back. Instead we were playing for a FG the whole time. That is a loser mentality and is typical of Flood coaching.
But it didn't and we won!

Reactions: jerzey devil
Yes, but only thanks to a MASSIVE coaching blunder by the Indiana coach to not use his last timeout after we ran the ball on 3rd down and the play ended with about 15 seconds lefts on the clock. 99.99% of the time the opposing coach uses their timeout there to ensure that they get the opportunity to at least receive the kick off and possibly even get off a hail mary.

And the only reason I am even talking about this is because SO many people were talking about how this was perfect clock management. It was far from perfect clock management and it matters because against better teams in different situations it could end up costing us victories if we continue to practice poor clock management.

But yeah big picture, I am extremely excited for the big win though that keeps our bowl season alive!

Their coach didn't manage the clock right. Flood did. Even if we kicked off with a few seconds left, that still would have been good clock management. The spike was done because WE wanted to run more plays. Totally fine with taking time to get it right.

What if Laviano threw and interception or a running back fumbled? You would be screaming for Flood to be fired for not just kicking the field goal. Football "experts" like you can't be satisfied!!!

I know we are all thrilled about the win, but it needs to be said -

First down spike with 47 seconds left on the clock
Timeout after the next play with 37 seconds left on the clock
Timeout with 5 seconds left when for all intents and purposes that last play shouldn't have taken 5 seconds off the clock (unless there is some rule about a FG taking up 5 seconds, in which this one is ok).
We were all shaking our heads wondering why laviano spiked if there . No need for that.

Their coach didn't manage the clock right. Flood did. Even if we kicked off with a few seconds left, that still would have been good clock management. The spike was done because WE wanted to run more plays. Totally fine with taking time to get it right.

Well it seems like we will all just have to agree to disagree about what is good clock management and what is not.

I to be very clear I am EXTREMELY happy with the clock management from 4:47 to the :47 mark. It was executed perfectly, we moved down the field while also running down the clock to ensure that there wasn't much time left on the clock for Indiana.

But for the last :47, we could have done better. I understand that we spiked the ball and used our timeouts to ensure everything went down perfectly. The only thing with this is that I would like to see us get to the point where we do not need to burn these timeouts and spike the ball to ensure that our players can properly run a simple hand-off and to remind our running back to protect the ball at all costs. This should already have been drilled into our players heads to the point where they do not even need to be reminded. This is important because going forward, with our secondary, we need to make sure we do not leave time on the clock at the end of the game after we score because it leaves us open to defeat. We have already lost one game due to leaving too much time on the clock and letting a team drive down the field and score a game winner on us. You only have to go back and look at the Washington State game to see how easily a team can march down the field through the air against our secondary. Granted, this may not be an apples to apples comparison because I do not specifically remember the play by play end of the game against Washington State so I do not know if there was anything we could have done to make sure there was less time left for Washington State. But again, more importantly against Maryland and Nebraska, we could easily find ourselves in another game where the team will the ball at the end wins and we need to make sure we DO NOT NEED to spike the ball or burn time outs just to ensure that we properly run a simple hand-off. That is all. We are trying to be BIG10 Champions in the next 5 years and in order to be Champions in the BIG10 you have to be a very well-oiled machine.

And of course, this is just one area of improvement that we need to correct and the only reason I got involved with this entire thread was because people we saying it was PERFECT clock management and that we should not have done anything differently.

Well it seems like we will all just have to agree to disagree about what is good clock management and what is not.

I to be very clear I am EXTREMELY happy with the clock management from 4:47 to the :47 mark. It was executed perfectly, we moved down the field while also running down the clock to ensure that there wasn't much time left on the clock for Indiana.

But for the last :47, we could have done better. I understand that we spiked the ball and used our timeouts to ensure everything went down perfectly. The only thing with this is that I would like to see us get to the point where we do not need to burn these timeouts and spike the ball to ensure that our players can properly run a simple hand-off and to remind our running back to protect the ball at all costs. This should already have been drilled into our players heads to the point where they do not even need to be reminded. This is important because going forward, with our secondary, we need to make sure we do not leave time on the clock at the end of the game after we score because it leaves us open to defeat. We have already lost one game due to leaving too much time on the clock and letting a team drive down the field and score a game winner on us. You only have to go back and look at the Washington State game to see how easily a team can march down the field through the air against our secondary. Granted, this may not be an apples to apples comparison because I do not specifically remember the play by play end of the game against Washington State so I do not know if there was anything we could have done to make sure there was less time left for Washington State. But again, more importantly against Maryland and Nebraska, we could easily find ourselves in another game where the team will the ball at the end wins and we need to make sure we DO NOT NEED to spike the ball or burn time outs just to ensure that we properly run a simple hand-off. That is all. We are trying to be BIG10 Champions in the next 5 years and in order to be Champions in the BIG10 you have to be a very well-oiled machine.

And of course, this is just one area of improvement that we need to correct and the only reason I got involved with this entire thread was because people we saying it was PERFECT clock management and that we should not have done anything differently.

They are college kids. I don't care how much drilling you do. At that point of the game is is critical to get it right. Penalties or misunderstandings could be the difference between winning and losing. Nothing during the game was more important than getting it right. You use timeouts and spikes to ensure this, as they did. Holding on to timeouts is utter useless in that scenario, especially in light of what happened the previous week. Because their coach didn't call timeout is no reflection on Flood.

Worst case they kick off with a few ticks on the clock as the last play. I'm totally comfortable with that.

They are college kids. I don't care how much drilling you do. At that point of the game is is critical to get it right. Penalties or misunderstandings could be the difference between winning and losing. Nothing during the game was more important than getting it right. You use timeouts and spikes to ensure this, as they did. Holding on to timeouts is utter useless in that scenario, especially in light of what happened the previous week. Because their coach didn't call timeout is no reflection on Flood.

Worst case they kick off with a few ticks on the clock as the last play. I'm totally comfortable with that.

Well the worst case scenario would have been the Indiana coach calls a time out with 15 seconds left. We kick the field goal which took 3 seconds off the clock so now we are down to 12 seconds. Then we squib kick it and the clock runs down to 6 or 7 seconds. Then they get to chuck a hail mary or even just a deep throw towards anywhere on the field because if they make the catch THEY STILL HAVE A TIMEOUT they can use to stop the clock and try a 45-55 yard field goal.

And yes, the odds are low that this would happen, but you have to remember that our secondary is young and Indiana had some good, tall athletes at WR who could go up and get those type of balls.

So yes I agree the most important thing is to get it right, but I was responding to people saying our clock management was PERFECTION.

The clock management was very good, but far from perfection.

Well the worst case scenario would have been the Indiana coach calls a time out with 15 seconds left. We kick the field goal which took 3 seconds off the clock so now we are down to 12 seconds. Then we squib kick it and the clock runs down to 6 or 7 seconds. Then they get to chuck a hail mary or even just a deep throw towards anywhere on the field because if they make the catch THEY STILL HAVE A TIMEOUT they can use to stop the clock and try a 45-55 yard field goal.

And yes, the odds are low that this would happen, but you have to remember that our secondary is young and Indiana had some good, tall athletes at WR who could go up and get those type of balls.

So yes I agree the most important thing is to get it right, but I was responding to people saying our clock management was PERFECTION.

The clock management was very good, but far from perfection.

That's the point. Given reality, it was perfect. If they have to rely on not one but two Hail Marys to win with time expiring, then good for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT