ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska End of Regulation Inbounds Play

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
Might have been one of the worse planned inbounds plays I have ever seen designed for this type of situation.

I know our inbounds plays are terrible but wtf was Hoiberg thinking?

Ball in your half, still 3 full seconds on the clock and he designs a diagonal alleyoop to a shorter player than the man guarding him, to the opposite side of the basket?

With all the shooters he has available, this is what he runs? Poor coaching on this play imho.

I think in his post game he says both last possessions in regulation and overtime were not the right plays
Guess it’s a learning lesson for him. As soon as I saw the play developing I was stunned that this is what they ran.

Not sure if was talked about it , but when we inbounded the ball, it was 3.4 and only 0.4 elapsed …to 3.0 when Simpson walked

Simpson caught the ball, turned his body and then tried to make a move up the court .

How the hell did at least 0.8, and more likely 1.2 run off the clock and how did the officals NOT look at the replay to check the clock there ???

On the alley oop attempt that hit the backboard. Did anyone touch it immediately? Couldn’t Hyatt have let it bounce out for a turnover with no time wasted off the clock?

Guess it’s a learning lesson for him. As soon as I saw the play developing I was stunned that this is what they ran.
Remember the ND loss in NCAA play in? Same issue. Multiple times. Still not fixed. Coaches have to address this. This situation is not uncommon.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think he meant his played screwed up..mentioned something about a 1 in 10 pass

He's lying.
Just rewatched the play.
That ally oop was the only option on the play.
Tominaga comes up from the block and runs away from the ball - never even looks to get the ball.
The other guard just runs right to the corner - never even looks to get the ball.
Only one running hard was the guy going around the "screen" for the alley oop.

No way that's on the players. 100% on the staff.
"Cross court alley oop from mid court" shouldn't even be an option on the play.
The only way that could have been worse was if they ran it from under their own basket.

Staff has literally 1 job in that situation - run their 100% best play to score a basket.
Just any basket.
Don't need to force a 3.
Just get a great shot.
Complete failure by the staff.

Reactions: rucoe89 and MadRU
There is a difference between struggling to get the ball inbounds because of a variety of reasons such as poor passing, bad cuts, bad screens etc, then designing a play that has almost zero chance of working when you have shooters on the court and 3 full seconds in your own half.

Reactions: NickRU714
The correct play was lineup how they did. Have Tominaga fake towards the ball and go away under the hoop with a back screen. Peel up the lane towards the inbounder for a catch and shoot 3.
Have the other guard still break to the near corner. If his man stays to help on Tominaga coming from the backside - pass to the guard coming towards the corner for a shot.

He's lying.
Just rewatched the play.
Tominaga comes up from the block and runs away from the ball - never even looks to get the ball.
The other guard just runs right to the corner - never even looks to get the ball.

The only way that could have been worse was if they ran it from under their own basket.

Staff has literally 1 job in that situation - run their 100% best play to score a basket.
Just any basket.
Don't need to force a 3.
Just get a great shot.
This 100%

I think Hoiberg was watching Blue Chips before the game and got inspired.
"Let's run the Shaq alley oop play."

Reactions: DirtyRU
He's lying.
Just rewatched the play.

Just any basket.
Don't need to force a 3.
Just get a great shot.
You just said 2 players never looked to get the ball and then are blaming the coaches? Any player not looking for the ball with 3 seconds left should be shot. I don’t care what the primary play is. You always have to look for and meet the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT