ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2021

rutgersguy1

Hall of Famer
Dec 17, 2008
May seem kind of early for this but figure you can throw any coaching news in one thread.

Guess it's kind of "normal" these days for mid season firings to take place. Also little less unusual these days, he's actually fired mid season year 3. Wonder if Sonny Dykes at SMU would be interested, his father coached at TT. He's got a good thing going now though.

Jeff Traylor at UTSA also mentioned.

Art Briles is radioactive but wonder if they might try for guys from his staff who have done good jobs with other high powered offenses since. Kendal his son now Arkansas OC or Jeff Lebby his son in law Ole Miss OC.

Last edited:
May seem kind of early for this but figure you can throw any coaching news in one thread.

Guess it's kind of "normal" these days for mid season firings to take place. Also little less unusual these days, he's actually fired mid season year 3. Wonder if Sonny Dykes at SMU would be interested, his father coached at TT. He's got a good thing going now though.

Art Briles is radioactive but wonder if they might try for guys from his staff who have done good jobs with other high powered offenses since. Kendal his son now Arkansas OC or Jeff Lebby his son in law Ole Miss OC.

They should look no further than Sonny Dykes, current coach of SMU, 29-14 over 3.5 seasons, and was 22-15 in 3 seasons at Louisiana Tech. He was fired from Cal after 4 seasons at 19-30, but he is a Texas guy, having gone to high school in Lubbock just down the road from Texas Tech.

If TT hires Kendal, he might be able to sneak Art in as an analysts and officially use his dad's HC experience to improve the program and give his father a way to return to college FB again.

Graham Harrell is another rising star in the college football ranks that might be in line for the TT job, because of his connection to that program

If TT hires Kendal, he might be able to sneak Art in as an analysts and officially use his dad's HC experience to improve the program and give his father a way to return to college FB again.

Graham Harrell is another rising star in the college football ranks that might be in line for the TT job, because of his connection to that program
I like Harrell and have mentioned him here in the past as OC but think his star has taken a little hit with what’s happened at USC lately. It might be a bit to reestablish that again as far as HC is concerned.

Seth Littrell is a name I’ve mentioned in the past as HC too but his star is tarnished lately too at UNT. He’s also got past TT connection but like I say for HCs who get too selective (not that SL was) one day you’re a hot candidate the next burnt out embers. Of course that can always be turned around again too.

Cumbie is their interim and he just left TCU for TT man he’s a TT alum but don’t think he’ll be in line for it either.

Why on earth would Dykes move from SMU to Texas Tech with an alumni base of support than can now PAY the players legally?

Reactions: Jimpeg
Why on earth would Dykes move from SMU to Texas Tech with an alumni base of support than can now PAY the players legally?
He’s got history there. His father having been a longtime coach there, he’s been on the staff under Leach and he’s an alum.

It doesn’t mean he’s going to go but he definitely could. Plus for now at least too, SMU is being left behind in the AAC. If they were taken into the B12, maybe he’d be more likely stay. Does he want to be a bigger fish in a small pond or does he want to go to a place where he has a lot of history? I don’t know but it’s certainly not out of the question that he could leave.

Reactions: MADHAT1
He’s got history there. His father having been a longtime coach there, he’s been on the staff under Leach and he’s an alum.

It doesn’t mean he’s going to go but he definitely could. Plus for now at least too, SMU is being left behind in the AAC. If they were taken into the B12, maybe he’d be more likely stay. Does he want to be a bigger fish in a small pond or does he want to go to a place where he has a lot of history? I don’t know but it’s certainly not out of the question that he could leave.

Or will he be a fish in a Mariana's Trench deep pool of money that will take him to a deep pond as a big fish?

Or will he be a fish in a Mariana's Trench deep pool of money that will take him to a deep pond as a big fish?
Well the B12 will be getting weaker with two of the biggest fish leaving in OU and Texas. Some of his current AAC rivals are coming on board so if they can compete in the B12 why not TT.

TT fired KK with some decent money on his contract and are firing Campbell mid year 3 so doesn’t seem like they’re complete devoid of resources. I also think their entire OL got a NIL deal with some alums iirc. Staying at SMU is possible but TT is a legitimate option given his history.

SMU is having a good year wonder if this might be a distraction to that. Fickell so far has managed any distractions with his name tied to openings wonder if Dykes can do the same.

How long was his contract ? Certainly no university would be foolish enough to give an 8 year contract.

Well the B12 will be getting weaker with two of the biggest fish leaving in OU and Texas. Some of his current AAC rivals are coming on board so if they can compete in the B12 why not TT.

TT fired KK with some decent money on his contract and are firing Campbell mid year 3 so doesn’t seem like they’re complete devoid of resources. I also think their entire OL got a NIL deal with some alums iirc. Staying at SMU is possible but TT is a legitimate option given his history.

SMU is having a good year wonder if this might be a distraction to that. Fickell so far has managed any distractions with his name tied to openings wonder if Dykes can do the same.

There's money, and then there's SMU money.

There's money, and then there's SMU money.
Took a quick look at their recruiting rankings...nothing particularly special...rankings in the 60s. I say this for big schools, I'll certainly say it for SMU. No matter the NIL or status, there's still a limited number of playing spots and even more limited number of starting spots. There's a balance there between all the other stuff and the opportunity to actually see the field. I think that's actually a benefit to a school like SMU....that's how they get qbs like Buechele from Texas and Mordecai from OU but conversely it's not advantage for them either.

Not football but in basketball outside of a little bit of Larry Brown's time it's TT who has made the finals and the NCAAs regularly with Chris Beard (now at Texas). Houston has too with Sampson. You can say money this and that but it's still SMU on the status totem pole and it's not the 80s.

Dykes may stay at SMU but imo the money issue isn't as big a thing as it may have been in the 80s. How you use matters more...just look at the big dog in the state and their trials and tribulations and no one has more money than them.

Wells is reportedly owed $7 mil .
My personal opinion UTSA's Jeff Traylor will be their top choice.
He's a Texas HS coaching legend and would have current Tex HS coaches attention when he tries to get them to urge their kids to look at TT as a place they might like.
Traylor was named the B-12 recruiter of year when he was at Texas and with his success at UTSA, a choice TT fans/booster will like

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Wells is reportedly owed $7 mil .
My personal opinion UTSA's Jeff Traylor will be their top choice.
He's a Texas HS coaching legend and would have current Tex HS coaches attention when he tries to get them to urge their kids to look at TT as a place they might like.
Traylor was named the B-12 recruiter of year when he was at Texas and with his success at UTSA, a choice TT fans/booster will like
I think him and Dykes are the top 2 choices for them...whether they get them or not is a different story.

Also now that I think about it, while Harrell's star is a little tarnished you know I could see maybe a WSU possibly hiring him. He was there as an assistant under Leach for a bit before taking the UNT OC job with Littrell. It's WSU so I could see them having to take a flyer on someone like that the way Oregon State did with Jonathan Smith. A couple other former WSU assistants of Leach could also be candidates. I think 1 or 2 are with OU now. I think Grinch the DC at OU would aim higher (even though the OU D is still inconsistent, but improved since his arrival) Jay Norvell at Nevada I've seen mentioned too for them.

Last edited:
I think him and Dykes are the top 2 choices for them...whether they get them or not is a different story.

Also now that I think about it, while Harrell's star is a little tarnished you know I could see maybe a WSU possibly hiring him. He was there as an assistant under Leach for a bit before taking the UNT OC job with Littrell. It's WSU so I could see them having to take a flyer on someone like that the way Oregon State did with Jonathan Smith. A couple other for WSU assistants of Leach could also be candidates. I think 1 or 2 are with OU now. I think Grinch the DC at OU would aim higher (even though the OU D is still inconsistent, but improved since his arrival) Jay Norvell at Nevada I've seen mentioned too for them.
I agree with Dykes and Traylor probably being the top two choices .
Dykes' dad tenure there along with how Sonny has the Mustangs looking good will make him a popular hire if he's offered and takes the job
The Cal firing shouldn't be that much of a drawback because he took over a bad program that's hard to win at.
Traylor might jump at the chance to move up from UTSA position to TT more than Sonny would from SMU if Mustang booster funded a nice raise and contract extension top stay.
TT might not be willing to match that after paying Wells $7 mil to leave.
(Don't know how generous Tech's boosters are and guessing Mustang booster have deep pockets)

Reactions: rutgersguy1

Mike Tomlin slamming the door on any chance he would consider the USC or any other college job. Or is he throwing it down for a donor to make it interesting? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
They should look no further than Sonny Dykes, current coach of SMU, 29-14 over 3.5 seasons, and was 22-15 in 3 seasons at Louisiana Tech. He was fired from Cal after 4 seasons at 19-30, but he is a Texas guy, having gone to high school in Lubbock just down the road from Texas Tech.
Wow they fire a 5-3 coach.

Good writeup on the purported leverage James Franklin thinks he may have at Penn State.

"But at this point, he hasn’t come close to delivering what you would think he has delivered based on the way he talks, carries himself and conducts business. And most importantly, he hasn’t come close to making himself so irreplaceable that he can continue to play this game where he has these vaguely worded, non-denial denials about other jobs in order to gain leverage."

I believe he's lost 17 of 24 against the P5. They've got OU, Ok State, ISU, Baylor left on the schedule and they're all ranked so possibly 4 losses on the horizon. This past week they were up 14-0 and 24-10 at half against KSU and lost the game 25-24. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have been but those are all things I've read about them.

Good writeup on the purported leverage James Franklin thinks he may have at Penn State.

"But at this point, he hasn’t come close to delivering what you would think he has delivered based on the way he talks, carries himself and conducts business. And most importantly, he hasn’t come close to making himself so irreplaceable that he can continue to play this game where he has these vaguely worded, non-denial denials about other jobs in order to gain leverage."

If he leaves they can hire back Bill OBrien out of the Saban halfway house lol.

I believe he's lost 17 of 24 against the P5. They've got OU, Ok State, ISU, Baylor left on the schedule and they're all ranked so possibly 4 losses on the horizon. This past week they were up 14-0 and 24-10 at half against KSU and lost the game 25-24. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have been but those are all things I've read about them.

I just looked at their schedule, they're going 0-4 to end the season.

Mike Tomlin slamming the door on any chance he would consider the USC or any other college job. Or is he throwing it down for a donor to make it interesting? 🤔

Looks like Jeff Fisher's name was mentioned in the USCw search
>Football World Reacts To The Jeff Fisher Speculation<
https://thespun.com/pac-12/usc/jeff-fisher-usc-football-hire-report-rumors-reaction

Baylor's HC Dave Aranda might be a name to put in the top candidate hat and I'll never take Urban out of the running.
Meyer will find a way to get out of Jax and be LA bound if he feels the pro game isn't his cup of tea and USC lets him know ( through 3rd party) job is his for the taking.
USC's AD might think hiring Urban could bring back glory days

Looks like Jeff Fisher's name was mentioned in the USCw search
>Football World Reacts To The Jeff Fisher Speculation<
https://thespun.com/pac-12/usc/jeff-fisher-usc-football-hire-report-rumors-reaction

Baylor's HC Dave Aranda might be a name to put in the top candidate hat and I'll never take Urban out of the running.
Meyer will find a way to get out of Jax and be LA bound if he feels the pro game isn't his cup of tea and USC lets him know ( through 3rd party) job is his for the taking.
USC's AD might think hiring Urban could bring back glory days
You'd have to see how Aranda finishes out the year but looks like pulling the trigger on Fedora and some offensive staff after just after a year was a good move. Fedora is supposedly a prickly personality even if he's had some success on offense and wonder if that caused issues. The hiring of Jeff Grimes as OC from BYU has done wonders for them to date.

Even if he finishes out strong though I don't think he'd be the right fit for USC. I liked him as the choice when he was Wisconsin DC and we hired Ash. His personality is totally not USC/LA vibe even though he's from California. Cerebral guy, bland demeanor similar to Paul Chryst I've said in the past...so smart coach but don't think he'd fit at USC even with a strong finish.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned, wonder if it'll end up as distraction on their so far undefeated season.

Some other coaches hot seat news...article is behind the paywall but summary of some bigger names.

Fuente is on the outs with some key VT people and Napier from Louisiana is a name mentioned.

Babers if he makes a bowl should be okay and maybe even if he doesn't cause the buyout might be a little too much.

Mullen is likely fine even though 2-6 against last P5 opponents, qb choice problems among other things but after UGA schedule is suppose to get softer and should finish in the vicinity of 8-4 which should be enough.

Manny Diaz supposedly has 8M+ left and assistants are on multi year deals so it would be a 20M+ investment for Miami to make a change between the old and new staff...do they have the pockets to do it.

Herm on the field is fine off the field not so much but most likely should be okay barring any bigger issues.

Chip Kelly most likely okay as well but not hired by their current AD Martin Jarmond but he's expected to finish anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3 and if he does should be fine.

Last edited:
Billy Napier name has been mentioned for Texas Tech as well along with a few other places the last couple of years
Fuente's job seemed to be shaky last year and probably gone once this year is over
Jamey Chadwell of Coastal Carolina might be an option for VT

So far Franklin has done a good job of leveraging the carousel to get pay raises out of the Nitties. But who knows, maybe he's ready to make the move somewhere else after all. Which also suggests that PSU is not a destination job? What does a USC or LSU offer a coach that PSU cannot? Thoughts?

You know if TT isn't able to get Dykes or Traylor, I think Jeff Grimes (originally from Texas) is a pretty good name the more I read about him. I think he could be a good choice for WSU too.

I've always said I like offense that are KISS and it's a theme I notice from Leach offenses, to Joe Brady in his year at LSU and now to Grimes and his wide zone offense. Keep it simple and repeat to get optimal execution. Actually Grimes' offense would seem pretty good for the northeast. Loved the RVO term the first time I heard it...Reliable Violent Offense.

Some snippets from articles about his offense:

They depicted what he described as the zone-wide offense, the simple but effective blocking and run-game scheme he helped tinker with at BYU.

Grimes won’t create a playbook that’s as thick as “War and Peace.” He likes the streamlined approach with relatively few but highly efficient plays.

“The way you have an opportunity to win the game is to go out there and play with violence and play with an edge, whether that means running the football downfield, throwing the football down the field, and it means various things for various positions,” Grimes said. “We’re an attacking, multiple formation offense that runs a few plays a lot of ways with as much misdirection as anyone in the country.”

He quoted the legendary Vince Lombardi who said, “Every game boils down to doing the things you do best and doing them over and over again.”

Grimes said the wide-zone offense is a scheme that can be run by a lot of different types of athletes. It is an offense that doesn’t require great size in the offensive blockers. It allows offensive linemen to play with speed and aggression. It handles a defense’s stunts and pressures better than most other offenses. It provides play-action opportunities and run-pass options by the quarterback.

“It creates space between defenders and gives an advantage to running backs to see their keys and make cuts,” said Grimes, who said another feature is to prevent and avoid profile tackles.

Showing play after play of BYU backs making backcuts and running toward defenders with lead blockers, Grimes described how the scheme is used with 11 or 12 personnel — one or two tight ends in the formation. He then started breaking down how the jet sweep added to the pre-snap presentation to divide the attention of the defense.

“Carnage at the goal line,” is what Grimes said Mateos used to call what was required of offensive linemen running the scheme.

So far Franklin has done a good job of leveraging the carousel to get pay raises out of the Nitties. But who knows, maybe he's ready to make the move somewhere else after all. Which also suggests that PSU is not a destination job? What does a USC or LSU offer a coach that PSU cannot? Thoughts?
PSU is a destination job.

LSU is better probably because of the amount of talent you have there. It's probably one of the top jobs in the whole sport because of that. They've won 3 national championships there under 3 different coaches and really only 1 of them you know is damn good in Saban. The other 2 eh as far as game management/x's and o's, especially Orgeron. So if you're a half decent coach you can be a contender often which shows you the inherent benefits/positive qualities of the job.

I don't know that USC is all that much better than PSU other than it's in a big market and high profile in that respect. For Franklin his personality would fit and you know he's been at PSU for a bit now so it might be getting stale or time for new scenery but I don't think that means PSU isn't a top job compared to it.

Wonder if Clawson might get any interest from someone or his OC Ruggiero to a bigger school. Here's an article on their offense. Example of finding a way and getting it done and compensating for past poor OL performance.

From the article:

The Demon Deacons got here by a tempo offense that’s defined by a delayed run game, invented out of necessity and tweaked to its current juggernaut by one of the game’s most innovative coordinators.

They’ve shined without the benefits of recruiting stars, as they’ve twice in the past five years had the ACC’s lowest rated recruiting class. And they’ve built gradually thanks to coaching continuity and a scheme that has put Wake Forest a step ahead in Dave Clawson’s eighth season there.

Picture the tempo from Art Briles’ RPO revolution at Baylor, rhythm from LaVell Edwards’ West Coast attack at BYU and downfield passing aggression from Run And Shoot godfather Mouse Davis. Add in the trademark delayed run game with an exaggerated mesh point, and Wake Forest has evolved into the sport’s buzziest offense.

Wake Forest averages 43.1 points per game, fifth best in the country, and is No. 16 overall in total offense with 469 yards per game. It has also become the program coaches marvel at for maximizing talent and inducing migraines for defensive coordinators.

The offense is so unique that opposing coaches compare it to the rarity of playing a triple-option team.

“I joke that we run the triple option from sexier formations,” Clawson told Yahoo Sports last week. “It’s really what we do. We line up as a spread offense. ... And in most of our plays, there’s a run or dive aspect, a quarterback run aspect and instead of a pitch, there’s a pass aspect.

“A lot of the plays that we run have those three elements to it. And so it really becomes a systematic, repetition offense. When you run most offenses — the defense does this, we’re going to do this. We build those answers into our plays.”

The nexus of the offense’s aura comes from the elongated mesh point on some plays – though not all – that are Wake Forest’s unique spin on the blender of different systems. The mesh point is where quarterback Sam Hartman hands the ball off to a tailback, holding the ball near his belly while simultaneously reading the defense with his head up.

“The mesh point normally takes a half-a-second,” said another opposing coach. “Their's takes anywhere from a half-second to 3 seconds.”

The genius of Wake’s spin on these RPOs, according to the coaches who face them, is Hartman’s ability to make multiple reads during that delayed mesh point before deciding to hand off the ball. That ability to manipulate defenses has helped him become Pro Football Focus’ No. 6 rated quarterback, as he’s putting multiple defenders in distress. “A lot of RPOs put one person in conflict,” Clawson said. “The way we run ours puts multiple in conflict.”

The program has proven to thrive by identifying players it likes and recruiting them agnostic to perception.

Clawson complimented Ruggiero’s ability to identify unpolished gems and project how well players will fit in Wake Forest’s offense.

That power style wasn’t going to work at Wake Forest, as the Deacons finished No. 113 in sacks allowed in 2016. Without the four-stars or archetype athletes to protect the passer, Ruggiero needed the scheme to build in protection.

Clawson said Ruggiero built the offense on the tenet of protecting the quarterback. A ramped-up tempo would make it harder for opposing teams to sub defensive linemen, which dulls the effectiveness of the pass rush when those players get tired. Clawson also said that one of the hardest things for a defensive lineman to do is switch from playing the run to suddenly playing the pass on a play-action.

“The RPO allowed almost every pass to start out as a run,” Clawson said. “It made us more effective throwing the ball by helping our protection. The longer we are here at Wake Forest, after one or two years, we felt like this is a place we had to be a little bit unconventional.”

Clawson wanted aspects of option football, just not the wishbone. So the option came at the mesh point, as he said Wake now runs about 20 percent of its plays using the delayed run game.
“There’s a lot of people who run RPOs. How we read stuff is very unique to us.”

The reads can put virtually any defender in conflict to choose run or pass on a given play, and the offense is designed to have built-in answers for whatever choice the defender has. “It changes by the play,” Clawson said of who is in conflict. “Other than the defensive tackles, at some point everyone can be in conflict.”

Along with the RPO game, there’s still a traditional dropback passing game. That’s where some of the West Coast timing and Run and Shoot concepts shine.

Wake has averaged more than 30 points per game every year, including 36 ppg in 2019.

Franklin had a very odd game week press conference.

Franklin referenced Illinois multiple times in his press conference, despite the obvious fact that the Nittany Lions are playing Ohio State in five days. To make matters worse, Franklin slipped again, calling Ohio Stadium "The Big House."

Franklin had a very odd game week press conference.

Franklin referenced Illinois multiple times in his press conference, despite the obvious fact that the Nittany Lions are playing Ohio State in five days. To make matters worse, Franklin slipped again, calling Ohio Stadium "The Big House."

Must be day dreaming about USC lol.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Franklin better get himself out of racist Crappy Valley. “white outs”? If he stays, he is their next sacrificial lamb. He’s been there too long to have plausible deniability. Whatever skeletons are in the closet, they will be put on him, no matter what. The culture there is poison. He needs to get his next deal before the next scandal breaks.

This is big news on the carousel. Patterson is the one who has put TCU on the map but he hasn't been doing as well lately....maybe time for new scenery for both sides. Jerry Kill will serve as interim coach. School was hoping he’s finish out the season but he preferred to part ways immediately. Dykes, Traylor, Lebby, Kendal Briles just like for the TT opening.

Last edited:
This is big news on the carousel. Patterson is the one who has put TCU on the map but he hasn't been doing as well lately....maybe time for new scenery for both sides. Jerry Kill will serve as interim coach. School was hoping he’s finish out the season but he preferred to part ways immediately. Dykes, Traylor, Lebby, Kendal Briles just like for the TT opening.

Hope that Jerry stays healthy.

Jerry Kill, the former head coach at Minnesota and a longtime friend of Patterson, has been named the interim head coach. Donati said Patterson will "assist" TCU "in the transition to take place."

I’m guessing there must be some increased buyout for him to leave after an extension but he’d stay there over TT or TCU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT