ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2021

I’m guessing there must be some increased buyout for him to leave after an extension but he’d stay there over TT or TCU?

Found this in an athletic article:

Traylor's contract runs through 2031 and will pay him an average annual salary of $2.8 million.

Traylor has a substantial buyout if he leaves early in the contract. If he departs before or during the first year of the contract extension, he owes UTSA $7.5 million. The total goes down to $7 million in Year 2, $6 million in Year 3, $5 million in Year 4 and $4 million in Year 5. If Traylor leaves in the sixth year or later, the buyout is 25 percent of his total salary remaining through the end of the deal.

Also have seen Elko mentioned possibly for TCU. He's Texas A&M's DC now and he's a pretty good one. TCU will be a good job in the B12 after Texas/OU leave...top part of the conference. I think Dykes might be number one for them since he's at nearby SMU already but after that Elko might be as good as other names mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
If Nebraska fires Frost, wonder if they’d be open to hire Patterson now. He interviewed when they hired Pelini. He interviewed at Tenn too when they hired Kiffin. He had said he felt that both schools had already settled on those guys before he interviewed.

I suppose it’s a matter if they feel he’s still got he juice or not but change of scenery could reinvigorate too.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Imagine being a program like TCU with little tradition of winning, having a HC get you six top 10 finishes, and then firing him like you’re a superpower. Crazy

And doing so the same season you got word of demotion to G5 status and another in-state conference rival will be shopping the same field of coaches. I'd assume Tech is the better job but maybe I'm wrong.

Whole game has gone delusional. And Texas continues to lead the way.

If Nebraska fires Frost, wonder if they’d be open to hire Patterson now. He interviewed when they hired Pelini. He interviewed at Tenn too when they hired Kiffin. He had said he felt that both schools had already settled on those guys before he interviewed.

I suppose it’s a matter if they feel he’s still got he juice or not but change of scenery could reinvigorate too.

Feels like someone other than TCU is gonna make out on that move.

Guess Bo Pelini is sitting around doing nothing? But I guess he can do that:

"Bo Pelini, who lasted just one season as defensive coordinator in 2020, was to receive a one-time payment of $4 million by Jan. 31, according to his termination agreement, which also includes five $14,000 payments through March 31, 2023."

And he did not do particularly well as HC at Youngstown State either. Couple that with a lot of issues at Nebraska, maybe he will be a lifetime coordinator.

Can’t believe TCU fired him.
His last couple of years weren't world beaters and the Horned Frog faithful were getting restless
6-4 in 2020 in 2019 it was 5-7 and in 2018 7-6
Peterson gave Frog fans and supporters high exceptions for the football program over the years and lately they felt he wasn't living up to them.
With this year going not so well, he seen the dissent and decided the time is right to get out , because if nothing changes, leaving on his own accord is far better than being forced out .

I'm sure he will get some of the money his contract calls for ( believe $6 mil plus a tear) that ends in 2024.

A O'Brien thought for Cornhuskers job just popped up.
BOB did a great job keeping Penn St competitive and the Nebraska AD might feel he'd
be the type of recruiter and game day coach that Nebraska needs to compete for the B1G West crown.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Found this in an athletic article:

Traylor's contract runs through 2031 and will pay him an average annual salary of $2.8 million.

Traylor has a substantial buyout if he leaves early in the contract. If he departs before or during the first year of the contract extension, he owes UTSA $7.5 million. The total goes down to $7 million in Year 2, $6 million in Year 3, $5 million in Year 4 and $4 million in Year 5. If Traylor leaves in the sixth year or later, the buyout is 25 percent of his total salary remaining through the end of the deal.

Also have seen Elko mentioned possibly for TCU. He's Texas A&M's DC now and he's a pretty good one. TCU will be a good job in the B12 after Texas/OU leave...top part of the conference. I think Dykes might be number one for them since he's at nearby SMU already but after that Elko might be as good as other names mentioned.
I’d hate for A&M to lose him…but it is bound to happen

His last couple of years weren't world beaters and the Horned Frog faithful were getting restless
Peterson gave Frog fans and supporters high exceptions for the football program over the years and lately they felt he wasn't living up to them.
With this year going not so well, he seen the dissent and decided the time is right to get out , because if nothing changes, leaving on his own accord is far better than being forced out .

I'm sure he will get some of the money his contract calls for ( believe $6 mil plus a tear) that ends in 2024.
Nobody decides the time is right to get out mid year. If he was doing this on his own accord he could have announced this was his final season.

Reactions: rufeelinit
And doing so the same season you got word of demotion to G5 status and another in-state conference rival will be shopping the same field of coaches. I'd assume Tech is the better job but maybe I'm wrong.

Whole game has gone delusional. And Texas continues to lead the way.
I believe TCU is considered the better job and they have decent resources too. I think they were paying Patterson around 6M and they've done some facility improvement over the years I've read. TCU is the DFW area...TT is kind of nowhere. Dykes will probably be the their top target considering he's right there at SMU and has done good things recruiting that area and using the portal.

Guess Bo Pelini is sitting around doing nothing? But I guess he can do that:

"Bo Pelini, who lasted just one season as defensive coordinator in 2020, was to receive a one-time payment of $4 million by Jan. 31, according to his termination agreement, which also includes five $14,000 payments through March 31, 2023."

And he did not do particularly well as HC at Youngstown State either. Couple that with a lot of issues at Nebraska, maybe he will be a lifetime coordinator.

His year at LSU as DC didn't go well so add that to his off the field issues and he might be no touch for quite a few schools.

He didn't leave own his on accord. He was essentially fired. They wanted him to stick around for the rest of the season but he wanted to leave immediately.

A O'Brien thought for Cornhuskers job just popped up.
BOB did a great job keeping Penn St competitive and the Nebraska AD might feel he'd
be the type of recruiter and game day coach that Nebraska needs to compete for the B1G West crown.
I'd think he could be good too. I've mentioned him for USC as well.

He didn't leave own his on accord. He was essentially fired. They wanted him to stick around for the rest of the season but he wanted to leave immediately.

that (to me), means TCU will be paying more for him to leave than I thought they would and I took his leaving as on his own after talking about his lack of future there with the AD and decided to get out of Coaching there on his terms and not theirs.
But it is a firing, like you are saying more than the resignation I made it out to be.

Now I wonder if Sonny Dykes might jump off that Mustang program he's riding and jump in the pond with the Froggies instead of TT.
Billy Napier might be in the mix, if SMU gives Sonny an offer he can't refuse .

Nobody decides the time is right to get out mid year. If he was doing this on his own accord he could have announced this was his final season.
when told this season is his last, he made the decision to ended it before the AD wanted him to.
But you are right about not ending it the way he would want because now or later he basically was fired and that wasn't his plan when season started.

Reactions: vkj91
Closer to home, I am hearing a rumor that the new president and AD at Temple have already made the decision to dump Rod Carey at the end of the year. If that indeed happens, have to believe Fran Brown will be towards the top of their list to replace him.

Closer to home, I am hearing a rumor that the new president and AD at Temple have already made the decision to dump Rod Carey at the end of the year. If that indeed happens, have to believe Fran Brown will be towards the top of their list to replace him.
I could envision that and losing a top recruiter like him would suck.

Dan Mullen to Texas tech would be a sweet move for him and TT could do a lot worse; he could do well there w/o SEC expectations. The more I think on it the better the chances for the Baylor’s and TTs and TCUs oSu of the world as the cow and thieves leave…

Chip Chop Chip? There are already shirts for that!

A1rJWwibFeL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C71AgyzHEq6L.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_SX679._SX._UX._SY._UY_.png

Dan Mullen to Texas tech would be a sweet move for him and TT could do a lot worse; he could do well there w/o SEC expectations. The more I think on it the better the chances for the Baylor’s and TTs and TCUs oSu of the world as the cow and thieves leave…
I’m not sure they will let him go this year but I think he’ll have to make staff changes specifically the DC.

Agree he might be more comfortable at a lower profile school like at Miss State and he could do a good job at one like he did at Miss State.

Also mentioned in one of these realignment threads that while the “new B12” will take a big hit money wise they won’t playoff access wise so it’s a great opportunity for the leftover schools to raise their profiles without OU (lesser extent Texas) standing in the way. And to relate it to this coaching thread, many of them are willing to pay their coaches too.

Thinking about it, the big hires of 4 years ago Frost, Kelly and Mullen haven’t panned out yet (and may not got much longer to)so like I say there are very few slam dunks.

Last edited:
First in season firing and hiring? And on two counts both for the school and Helton.

I believe TCU is considered the better job and they have decent resources too. I think they were paying Patterson around 6M and they've done some facility improvement over the years I've read. TCU is the DFW area...TT is kind of nowhere. Dykes will probably be the their top target considering he's right there at SMU and has done good things recruiting that area and using the portal.

Things might have changed in the last 5 years, but TCU was very much the better job prior to that.

I’m not sure they will let him go this year but I think he’ll have to make staff changes specifically the DC.

Agree he might be more comfortable at a lower profile school like at Miss State and he could do a good job at one like he did at Miss State.

Also mentioned in one of these realignment threads that while the “new B12” will take a big hit money wise they won’t playoff access wise so it’s a great opportunity for the leftover schools to raise their profiles without OU (lesser extent Texas) standing in the way. And to relate it to this coaching thread, many of them are willing to pay their coaches too.

Thinking about it, the big hires of 4 years ago Frost, Kelly and Mullen haven’t panned out yet (and may not got much longer to)so like I say there are very few slam dunks.
Still tech gets lots of good talent in Texas and without those “two” to try and run roughshod over the rest, the conference might be pretty decent. Maybe that’s why they did not make the fuss I thought they would. Mullens personality also fits Texas tech…trashy! I’m convinced florida cans him…but then again I never thought ou/tx to the SEC would ever happen so clearly take anything I say with a grain of salt the size of an suv! 😉

Things might have changed in the last 5 years, but TCU was very much the better job prior to that.
They’re both in the B12 so I’d think it is before TT in the P5 and TCU in the G5 might have made a diff but it doesn’t anymore.

Is Dan Mullen getting fired really a thing? That would be a big mistake in my opinion.

Is Dan Mullen getting fired really a thing? That would be a big mistake in my opinion.
I don't think he'll get fired this year but it's one of those warm getting warmer things according to the Athletic. He's 2-7 vs P5 teams lately and also 2-7 vs top 25 teams over the last 3 years. I don't pay attention to recruiting but I've read his recruiting is suspect for competing at the top of the SEC. He just got harpooned in the media and by fans for innocuous comments about not talking about recruiting in season. He just meant he'd talk about recruiting in the offseason not during the season but it's being taken as recruiting isn't important to talk about at all. Point being when you get to the point that comments are being nit picked and blown out of proportion that means things are getting warmer.

I think he'll have to make staff changes like replacing Grantham at DC but I think he should see next year. Plus I believe UF's AD was also with him at Miss State so that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: vkj91
Oh it’s a thing…UF fans are in serious revolt mode…whether it happens or not, who knows but the fan base has moved on!

Saw Brent Venables is another name possibly for TCU. That would be something, would he finally be lured out of Clemson for a trip back to B12 country? Big loss for Clemson if that ever happened.

He will get interviews but Fran Brown is not ready to be a head coach.

Doesn't rule anyone out but says probably not a defensive coach (to be compared to Patterson) and also probably a current HC. Sounds like Sonny Dykes first and maybe Napier after that. It would rule out Venables.

You know thinking about it, how about this as a flyer. Could you get Mike Leach back to Texas and the B12 at TCU? Would he leave the SEC and Miss State?

Doesn't rule anyone out but says probably not a defensive coach (to be compared to Patterson) and also probably a current HC. Sounds like Sonny Dykes first and maybe Napier after that. It would rule out Venables.

You know thinking about it, how about this as a flyer. Could you get Mike Leach back to Texas and the B12 at TCU? Would he leave the SEC and Miss State?

Seems like a backslide for Leach. Can't imagine leaving the SEC for the new G6 B12, unless getting a playoff bid is the main goal. But if that were his main goal, why go to Miss State in the first place?

Seems like a backslide for Leach. Can't imagine leaving the SEC for the new G6 B12, unless getting a playoff bid is the main goal. But if that were his main goal, why go to Miss State in the first place?
Agree with that but Miss State is a hard place to win in the SEC. Go there because Miss State even if hard probably has a little more potential than WSU.

But I think TCU being in DFW and eventually a weakened B12 will have even more potential than those two. Who knows if they would want him or if he’d go but it just rung a bell for me reading that article. From TCU’s side if you like Dykes, I’d think you’d like his mentor. I think Leach is on the 2nd year of a 4 year contract that pays him 20M not sure what his buyout is if he has one.

Playoff will be expanding too now so probably wasn’t a realistic goal for Leach to any destination that would want him back then but now a TCU would offer a more realistic opportunity vs Miss State.

Well then maybe Al Golden back to Temple if not UConn haha.
Actually Temple fans might like the idea of Golden returning, whether he's want back might be an issue
Phil Longo might be a possibility for the Owls , but he might want to stay at North Carolina next year to see if he'll be getting better offers or maybe be n line to replace Mack Brown.

UConn if the USA Conference allows it to join for football only might be able to hire an up and coming mid major assistant easier than as an independent..
As it stands now UConn as an independent looks like a career killer for anyone that takes their HC job

Last edited:
Agree with that but Miss State is a hard place to win in the SEC. Go there because Miss State even if hard probably has a little more potential than WSU.

But I think TCU being in DFW and eventually a weakened B12 will have even more potential than those two. Who knows if they would want him or if he’d go but it just rung a bell for me reading that article. From TCU’s side if you like Dykes, I’d think you’d like his mentor. I think Leach is on the 2nd year of a 4 year contract that pays him 20M not sure what his buyout is if he has one.

Playoff will be expanding too now so probably wasn’t a realistic goal for Leach to any destination that would want him back then but now a TCU would offer a more realistic opportunity vs Miss State.
Mike Leach is 60 years old. He is being paid $5 million/year on a 4 year deal. He will get at least a third year. He is closer to Florida (he has a home in Key West) in Mississippi than he would be in Texas. Unless he wants to work longer and get a longer term deal, does not seem to be a lot of good reasons for Leach to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT