ADVERTISEMENT

...College is going to be something scary. I don’t think anyone wants to see us. I’m going to put it out now.”

Whaaaaat? A top 3 at worst recruit is confident that he and another of the top 3 recruits, one that he has great chemistry with, are going to be really, really good next year? And he's willing to say it publicly? That's unheard of!

We do need to fill out the roster with more experienced pieces that are willing to embrace the team concept, but LET'S GO!

Sure we have two great young players arriving at RU. Everyone is anticipating a great year but one thing an athlete should learn early on. Be confident , somewhat cocky, believe in your abilities but err on the side of caution. Right now he can say those things … in season not so much so.

Reactions: shields
I love this. You set the tone now. A lot of people will say it’s unnecessary but it’s very necessary. You only get one shot at this and you said don’t do it? Put it out there and who ever follows follows and whoever doesn’t, you can walk out the door.

I love this. You set the tone now. A lot of people will say it’s unnecessary but it’s very necessary. You only get one shot at this and you said don’t do it? Put it out there and who ever follows follows and whoever doesn’t, you can walk out the door.
No… you don’t need to tout yourself….exuberance and enthusiasm is great…. act like the guy you said you admired as a young player.

You play a 20 game slate in the B1G and in the middle of the season some teams and some games you go through the motions and just aren't 100%.

If I am on any of the other 13 teams and i see that quote it may give me a little extra incentive. Plus he is putting enormous pressure on himself. I don't think he fully understands the transition from AAU basketball to B1G.

Dylan and Ace have won ZERO games so far.

That statement if accurate is fine. Just need these youngsters to realize there are a number of teams with some pretty good players who will not need any extra motivation . Better idea for Rutgers don’t talk the talk until you actually walk the walk.

You play a 20 game slate in the B1G and in the middle of the season some teams and some games you go through the motions and just aren't 100%.

If I am on any of the other 13 teams and i see that quote it may give me a little extra incentive. Plus he is putting enormous pressure on himself. I don't think he fully understands the transition from AAU basketball to B1G.

some of these guys will be the ones to say "I thought teams would be afraid to play you guys Dylan" first bad game. Don't get me wrong because that is exactly how he should feel, just don't have to tell everyone your inner thoughts..I like to talk as well so it makes me put extra work in so I can brag lol hopefully he's the same way..

I just hope it helps convince a top big man that he wants to be part of it. Even with Harper’s and Bailey’s scoring, I think Cliff’s scoring average could have almost doubled if he had stayed.

Listen to the whole clip. That was one sentence in the middle of his bigger message that he and Ace are blessed to be able to spend as much time together as possible, on and off the court, even before college. Taken in context, his statement was fine.

I’m personally not a fan of this stuff.

I didn’t like it last year for the Padres after acquiring multiple proven MLB superstars, and I don’t like it now with Rutgers.

Humble pie generally doesn’t taste good. But hey, I’m just a random dude on a message board. If they can back it up then more power to them.

• Haha
Reactions: RURahh
I’m personally not a fan of this stuff.

I didn’t like it last year for the Padres after acquiring multiple proven MLB superstars, and I don’t like it now with Rutgers.

Humble pie generally doesn’t taste good. But hey, I’m just a random dude on a message board. If they can back it up then more power to them.

F that. These guys will be in the NBA in 14 months and will be among the best players in the NCAA next year. If they’re not confident, what are they even doing?

Confidence is important in any profession. I like it. We just need to find some vets in the portal to balance it all out.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
F that. These guys will be in the NBA in 14 months and will be among the best players in the NCAA next year. If they’re not confident, what are they even doing?
Last offseason we were going to score 80+ PPG. Sounds pretty dumb now.

I’m just saying. Do it on the court, because that’s literally the only thing that matters.

You do realize Ace and Dylan could both average 20+ PPG and Rutgers could miss the tournament, right?

I’m just saying. Do it on the court, because that’s literally the only thing that matters.

You do realize Ace and Dylan could both average 20+ PPG and Rutgers could miss the tournament, right?

Pretty sure if Ace and Dylan go for 40+ a night by themselves, we’re gonna win a lot more games than we lose.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

Watching the all star game was encouraging though in this respect. Dylan scored +20 but not because he was trying to do everything himself. Outside of the last few minutes when the east caught up and he forced a few shots, he seemed locked into finding the best shot each possession - whether that would be him or someone else taking it. Their unit had excellent ball rotation throughout the game, and he was a big part of leading that effort.

Pretty sure if Ace and Dylan go for 40+ a night by themselves, we’re gonna win a lot more games than we lose.
Watching the all star game was encouraging though in this respect. Dylan scored +20 but not because he was trying to do everything himself. Outside of the last few minutes when the east caught up and he forced a few shots, he seemed locked into finding the best shot each possession - whether that would be him or someone else taking it. Their unit had excellent ball rotation throughout the game, and he was a big part of leading that effort.
I don’t disagree with anything you guys are saying. My thing is that at the end of the day, it’s still a team game.

I think they’re both going to do very well, and I think we will win a lot of games. I’m just keeping expectations in check because there are no guarantees here.

It’s just every offseason there’s something that gets overhyped, it falls flat, and people get upset. We do this in both football and basketball.

Not comparing these two to Jaden Jones, but all off season we read on here about how elite Jones was as a scorer. Dude didn’t see the court. Last off season Gavin was going to drop 15PPG.

You guys can hype it up if you want, but I’m choosing to let it play out.

Winning B1G and NCAA tournament games and being a successful NBA player are 2 separate things.

I don’t have a problem with the confidence.

But am I the only one who finds it a bit ironic that Dylan said that immediately after a team including him and Ace just lost to a team of HS players who had never played together before?

It’s not
The confidence boasting is fine . The belief that you and your team will or can be exceptional is fine. The words are meaningless until you play the season out. Rutgers hasn’t won anything of merit on the court( not individual games) just yet. We all hope and look forward to the days where we are finally a championship program. I’m betting mom n dad n brother Ron will remind Dylan of that “ keep it grounded.” That has always been good advice in sports.

Although it may be a career for Ace and Dylan.....its entertainment for us fans. In an age of 24 hour non stop coverage and in your face social media.....I've learned not to take every little interview, instagram, clip or statement so super seriously. Especially from 17 - 18 year old high school kids talking sh!t. You may feel differently, but this is not 1985......aĺl of us, including the players are bombarded by non stop social media content, blogs, forums, twitter coverage, opinions and yapping to worry when the season starts in October about a single statement made the previous April.

I don’t have a problem with the confidence.

But am I the only one who finds it a bit ironic that Dylan said that immediately after a team including him and Ace just lost to a team of HS players who had never played together before?
He was answering a specific question from a reporter (paraphrasing): “Lots of Rutgers fans watching tonight. What was it like playing with your future teammate, Ace Bailey, and having the chance to build some chemistry on the court?”

I think Dylan showed more than just confidence. He showed class too. His last line was, “It’s all about family.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT