ADVERTISEMENT

Colonia's Antonio Alfano entered transfer portal

And that would mean RU wasted an 8 year contract because that's not what he's being paid to do here.

Head coaches are the CEOs they don't manage the clerks and staff. They create a strategic vision and execute the plan. That's exactly what Saban does and he holds everyone accountable because the middle management (coaches and support staff) report the critical details back up the chain of command.

What good are strategic visions and plans if you don't get PLAYERS and achieve RESULTS!!!
That is Gregs most important priority.

If Schiano wants to see the end of his contract, that's what he ultimately will need to do. Alfano is the type of player who can help Schiano achieve what he needs to. Yes, he comes with baggage, but kids with Alfano's talent don't come to Rutgers, so you hold your nose, and deal with it. If Schiano doesn't want to deal with it, so be it.

Nate Robinson IIRC is the only kid Schiano refused to comment on or endorse for the NFL when Robinson finished up at Akron...that's saying something.

Joe P.

Greg learned from the mistake he made. Kids like Nate needed tough love from the get go.

He's grasping for anything now to stick to his narrative.

It's a shame he's so desperate for cheap W's that he'd want a kid toxic to most locker rooms on the team.

lots of superstars are toxic, whether it's Terrell Owens, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Keyshawn Johnson, and the lot. managing toxic kids goes with the territory. Greg isn't going to get any credit for recruiting boy scouts and averaging 4 wins a year. sometimes you have to take a chance.

Greg learned from the mistake he made. Kids like Nate needed tough love from the get go.

...or maybe GS learned that some people can only be reached on their own time, no matter what is done for them. I keep hearing what needs to be done for AA; what about what AA needs to do?

Joe P.

lots of superstars are toxic, whether it's Terrell Owens, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Keyshawn Johnson, and the lot. managing toxic kids goes with the territory. Greg isn't going to get any credit for recruiting boy scouts and averaging 4 wins a year. sometimes you have to take a chance.

Yes you're finally seeing the light, SOMETIMES you take a chance.

Alfano has so many red flags that he's NO CHANCE. Assaults teammates, doesn't go to class, doesn't show up for practices and meetings, won't pass any testing that includes marijuana (why do you think he chose Colorado) and that's just what's out there. Much of the rest and most serious issues people won't reveal on these boards.

Reactions: Kbee3
Alfano has already flamed out at two schools. What do you think Schiano is going to be able to do, check with him before every class to make sure he is going to show up?

With everything he has to fix, it would be a mistake for Schiano to waste any time on this kid.

Luckily, all indications on Schiano (including comments in today’s Post article) show he understands how he needs to act differently in his second tenure, even if you still have trouble getting it.

Schiano will implement a system designed specifically for Alfano's success which will involve coaches and players. He will meet with him regularly to ensure that he is sticking to the plan. It's really not that difficult, and the potential benefits outweigh the risks. Alfano could help ensure a full Rutgers Stadium, if he were to help Rutgers win.

Alfano didn't really flame out at Colorado. His reason for being there left to assume the Michigan State Head Coaching position. So its like Bait and Switch. He was fooled.

Yes you're finally seeing the light, SOMETIMES you take a chance.

Alfano has so many red flags that he's NO CHANCE. Assaults teammates, doesn't go to class, doesn't show up for practices and meetings, won't pass any testing that includes marijuana (why do you think he chose Colorado) and that's just what's out there. Much of the rest and most serious issues people won't reveal on these boards.

as I said in the beginning, that's for Schiano to decide. If Schiano says no, then i would be ok with it.

What good are strategic visions and plans if you don't get PLAYERS and achieve RESULTS!!!

If Schiano wants to see the end of his contract, that's what he ultimately will need to do. Alfano is the type of player who can help Schiano achieve what he needs to. Yes, he comes with baggage, but kids with Alfano's talent don't come to Rutgers, so you hold your nose, and deal with it. If Schiano doesn't want to deal with it, so be it.
Th only reason rutgersal is so infatuated with Alfaro is he was a 5* who btwdid not give a thought to coming here... Alfano is a true narcissist just like rutgersal. Truism “ birds of a feather” ... I guarantee the first time or incident with Alfano if he were here uncle al would be telling all he knew we shouldn’t have given him a chance.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Schiano will implement a system designed specifically for Alfano's success which will involve coaches and players. He will meet with him regularly to ensure that he is sticking to the plan. It's really not that difficult, and the potential benefits outweigh the risks. Alfano could help ensure a full Rutgers Stadium, if he were to help Rutgers win.

Alfano didn't really flame out at Colorado. His reason for being there left to assume the Michigan State Head Coaching position. So its like Bait and Switch. He was fooled.
Hey rutgersal was Ray Rice a good guy ? You keep using Kenny Britt a ton. Bet while Kenny was here you got close enough to smell his armpits. You need to stop being a jock sniffer and more a person that looks for the betterment of the team instead of those ***** now that is what Greg excels out taking an under rated player and getting them to exceed the high school analyzers.

Reactions: Morrischiano

It would be scary if the guy we just gave an huge contract to actually thought the way you project.

Fortunately, his words and actions since his return say otherwise.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Well known character issues with this kid. Accepting him into the program is a short cut that Kyle Flood would take, not GS 2.0.

Hard pass.

If you put it like that then I’m a hard pass as well. He could get kicked off the team in the first few weeks, even in the off season.

Let’s wait and see where he ends up next. Something tells me that he will be available again next season.

Reactions: Morrischiano
he took a chance with Nate. It didn't work out. The Nate experience will help
him better handle Alfano, if he gets the opportunity. Every kid is a case by case basis, and should be evaluated on his own merits.
I don't think anyone is saying don't take someone because Nate didn't work out. People are saying don't take this kid due his repeated history.

If you put it like that then I’m a hard pass as well. He could get kicked off the team in the first few weeks, even in the off season.

Let’s wait and see where he ends up next. Something tells me that he will be available again next season.
Kyle Flood did take on a lot of kids that were bad news. So much so that NJ HS coaches knew not to send good kids into that program. That locker room was trouble.

He transferred from Alabama to Colorado and after leaving Bama ,Saban said" Alfano quit going to class. He quit coming here. We tried to encourage him. We tried to help him. We had tried to set up counseling sessions with him to help him every way we could. … But he didn’t respond to any of the things, so until he responds, you just have to assume the guy quit.” . The excuse for that was given as Antonio's grandmother's health caused his problems there.

Now he's leaving Colorado after being indefinably suspended, no way should Schianno take a chance on him unless as a walk on.

Question is: Tom Savage transfered from Rutgers to the UofA then left there for Pitt after a hardship waiver was denied that would have allowed him to return to RU.
I think Tom had to be a walk on at Pitt and still sit a year before being eligible to play
Tom only played one year at Pitt, but was on scholarship his second year there.

Would Antonio lose a year of eligibility for transferring a second time and still have to sit a year as a non scholarship player.
If so he might be worth a gamble if he's paying his own way the first year and RU would have a year to see if he would make a good addition player wise and character wise, without gambling a scholarship on him.
If that's the case, let him come.
But if it takes a scholarship, let him find someplace else.

Saban and Franklin leave kids to their own devices. Schiano is a micro-manager that will administer the tough love when needed. You tell the kid that there is going to be a zero tolerance policy with him, and that he is going to be monitored. If he agrees, you give him a shot, if not, part ways. If he comes here and screws up, part ways. Very little risk on our part. For a talent like that, I roll the dice because he instantly makes our line Big Ten worthy.
What?

Th only reason rutgersal is so infatuated with Alfaro is he was a 5* who btwdid not give a thought to coming here... Alfano is a true narcissist just like rutgersal. Truism “ birds of a feather” ... I guarantee the first time or incident with Alfano if he were here uncle al would be telling all he knew we shouldn’t have given him a chance.

I’m excited about what he brings to the table, which is more than any defensive lineman on the current roster.

It would be scary if the guy we just gave an huge contract to actually thought the way you project.

Fortunately, his words and actions since his return say otherwise.

Since returning, Greg has talked about National Championships. This is the caliber of talent we need to achieve that goal.

Since returning, Greg has talked about National Championships. This is the caliber of talent we need to achieve that goal.
He has also talked about (as recently as the NY Post article yesterday) how one of his big faults in his first tenure was trying to manage everything himself, and how things will be different this time.

You ignore that, and have continually said in this thread that Alfano could succeed at Rutgers because Schiano would personally manage him.

Dumb.

Please talk some sense into Al.

Not sure that's possible.

Kid hasn't played a meaningful snap of college football yet but he would "transform" the RU DL into one of the better units in the B1G.

This is shades of Stanley King was going to be RU's best WR as a true freshman because he was a "once in a generation talent". King never played a snap last season.

Alfano is in trouble and needs a lot of help. Football should not be the priority at this point. Hopefully someone can make him realize that he needs to turn it around before it's too late and he's done permanent damage to his life.

He has also talked about (as recently as the NY Post article yesterday) how one of his big faults in his first tenure was trying to manage everything himself, and how things will be different this time.

You ignore that, and have continually said in this thread that Alfano could succeed at Rutgers because Schiano would personally manage him.

Dumb.

you can't talk about national championships, then not recruit that caliber of player to do it. delegating many of the previous tasks he used to do should free him up some. managing Alfano isn't managing everything. it could be as simple as a 5 min meeting everyday.

this is called exception handling because Alfano's talent is exceptional, unlike anyone else we have on the roster.

Antonio Alfano could be worth Million$ to Rutgers, if the kid can get his head screwed on straight.

you can't talk about national championships, then not recruit that caliber of player to do it. delegating many of the previous tasks he used to do should free him up some. managing Alfano isn't managing everything. it could be as simple as a 5 min meeting everyday.

this is called exception handling because Alfano's talent is exceptional, unlike anyone else we have on the roster.

Antonio Alfano could be worth Million$ to Rutgers, if the kid can get his head screwed on straight.
I must admit, you do a great job of staying “on brand”.

I must admit, you do a great job of staying “on brand”.

He should be renamed to Baghdad Bob

its-not-a-lie-its-alternative-facts-imgflip-com-trust-baghdad-bob-50606395.png

Reactions: Block R
@rutgersal Greg is NOT going to design a program and personally babysit a kid on his team. Will he sometimes take a chance on a kid, yes he will, but he has to see some ray of hope when he does so.
His message is very clear to parents. The most important thing to him is to make the parents feel secure that their son's will have a safe environment and get all the guidance needed to succeed. He makes it clear that he will not be babysitting but if by chance, your son does get into trouble, he will do everything he can to give him a second chance. But the moment ANY player on his team becomes a bad influence or a danger to his teammates, he will be removed immediately.
If he is still making that promise to parents, then there is NO way he could even take a chance with a kid like this. It ISNT about AA but is about the other 100+ kids on the team.

You are truly a lost cause rutgersal. We all know what Rutgers needs to be a top program . What is not needed is another distraction and media frenzy which is exactly what will occur. Rutgers is lucky to have loyal fans such as yourself but I would temper some of those hopes and dreams about Alfano and what he brings to the table.

So you would risk bringing in this troubled player into a program which has been through too many scandals in recent years ? This kid has had some serious issues and has not shown any effort to change. Other than his athletic prowess do you understand this kid hasn’t done anything. 3 high schools... 2 universities... my gut tells me he is on his way to Michigan State .

I’m excited about what he brings to the table, which is more than any defensive lineman on the current roster.
The kid has or had all the football talent in the world. The problem is he has what some would term maturity issues for his age. Give us a 5***** player but one that the staff won’t have to babysit... you think Schiano needs that? Pass

So you would risk bringing in this troubled player into a program which has been through too many scandals in recent years ? This kid has had some serious issues and has not shown any effort to change. Other than his athletic prowess do you understand this kid hasn’t done anything. 3 high schools... 2 universities... my gut tells me he is on his way to Michigan State .

This kid is on the last train to Clarksville as a FB player.

Let another school give him his final chance.

Hey rutgersal was Ray Rice a good guy ? You keep using Kenny Britt a ton. Bet while Kenny was here you got close enough to smell his armpits. You need to stop being a jock sniffer and more a person that looks for the betterment of the team instead of those ***** now that is what Greg excels out taking an under rated player and getting them to exceed the high school analyzers.
Not only is Ray Rice a good guy but a great guy and tremendous athlete!

Scandals?

Four things. One, I don't believe any of the guys you cited are to the level of issues here. Two, GS has much on his plate right now that he doesn't need to be micromanaging 1 player in year 1. Three, when you are trying to instill a new culture, you don't bring in someone who is 180 degrees apart from that culture. Four, 5 star rating means nothing if he never sees the field.

Reactions: KevH and LETSGORU91
Is it possible this kid can just declare a "do not remove from transfer portal" status?

Last edited:
Antonio Alfano is physically the most impressive freshmen I have ever seen. He has that dawg in him with that bad boy NJ swag. You could see it on the field. The way he was having throwing our upperclassman OL was impressive. With that being said, it’s what’s between the ears thats holding back from being a DL-God. I hope this kid comes to Rutgers or any team and reaches his full potential. It would be a great storyline for the Schiano resurrection. We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT