ADVERTISEMENT

Corey’s post “The Last One”

Sucks.. Next year's team was setup to pretty good. 17-18 wins. Without Corey- It'll be about 10 wins

We are 3-14 in Big Ten Play. I’m not saying I want him to leave but this idea he is some great player is crazy.

He can play great, and when he does, we outplay our record. But is extremely inconsistent and is an average player for his position in the Big Ten much more often than not
Which is better than basically everyone else on the team relative to their positions. We are a team of subpar players (particularly on offense) and Sander is a somewhat above par player.

We would likely have zero big ten wins without him. Not that there is a substantive difference between 0 and 3 wins, but lets be real here. Us without Sanders next year is another last place finish.

Reactions: essexknight
Sucks.. Next year's team was setup to pretty good. 17-18 wins. Without Corey- It'll be about 10 wins
Agree, with Sanders I really liked our chances at NIT next season, or with a few breaks....better :pray:.

Let's hope Pikes can bring in a strong PG...but losing Corey is a huge letdown.

It doesn't, but after scoring 12 and 20 rebounds at the JUCO level, you think he will help here.

It means that high level programs went after him. Not the usual situation that happens here.

He will be used for rebounding, and close to the rim put backs. Things he is already proficient at.
Are you saying that Shaq Carter is averaging 12 points and 20 rebounds? I found different numbers when I looked him up.

Edgar Sosa (Lousiville) is playing in the Australian NBL for the NZ Breakers. Think he took over for a Jesey guy, Cedric Jackson. That league is probably a fit.
Those opportunities are still there for him after he graduates FROM COLLEGE. I hope some sane, educated person is in his ear giving him advice.

Those opportunities are still there for him after he graduates FROM COLLEGE. I hope some sane, educated person is in his ear giving him advice.
How much better a prospect is he after Year 3 than after Year 2? He is the exact same player. How much money did he not make in that year?

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Are you saying that Shaq Carter is averaging 12 points and 20 rebounds? I found different numbers when I looked him up.

Let me correct myself. In he last game he played, he scored 12 points and grabbed 20 rebounds.

Corey Sanders was and is a part of the bridge to a brighter future - and that realistically is the most that he was ever going to be - but there should be a lot of respect for that - he gives his best - as best he can - admittedly sometimes he is tuned in the wrong key for a particular game that is being played - and he frankly is still learning - but he has many many times given a glimpse of how a brilliant future could eventually light up the RAC on a regular basis .
If he stays to drive the process one year further toward the goal - great! If he departs for other opportunities - wish him well and cheer fo the next guy on the court - and potentially that will be the leader who breaks the drought and takes the first shot in a return to tournament play

Reactions: soundcrib
Let me correct myself. In he last game he played, he scored 12 points and grabbed 20 rebounds.
You're short changing him. The NJCAA site has him going for 16 points and 21 rebounds against Santa Fe College on Saturday.

Ironically it was a game at Santa Fe College three years ago that I walked out on and decided I couldn't watch JuCo ball anymore.

The lack of defense and ball movement lierally gave me a headache. It was worse than any AAU game I'd ever seen.

Corey Sanders was and is a part of the bridge to a brighter future - and that realistically is the most that he was ever going to be - but there should be a lot of respect for that - he gives his best - as best he can - admittedly sometimes he is tuned in the wrong key for a particular game that is being played - and he frankly is still learning - but he has many many times given a glimpse of how a brilliant future could eventually light up the RAC on a regular basis .
If he stays to drive the process one year further toward the goal - great! If he departs for other opportunities - wish him well and cheer fo the next guy on the court - and potentially that will be the leader who breaks the drought and takes the first shot in a return to tournament play
As much as I'm resigned to Corey leaving after this season, I really believe he has a better chance at developing as a PG with more scoring options around him at RU in '18-19.

@higgins3 Carter has a good body great motor, decent hands and great feet... he is a little undersized because he is a pure back to the basket type player. He'll need time to figure it out at the HM level but he'll help.

As much as I'm resigned to Corey leaving after this season, I really believe he has a better chance at developing as a PG with more scoring options around him at RU in '18-19.

He's the same player he was as a freshman, which makes me think he'll be the same player next year.

+1

I don't really get the logic some are using here. So because RU only won x number of games, it's not a big deal the best player decides to leave? As if this will speed up Pikiell's rebuilding process?

If Pikiell gets this thing turned around, the SHU, Purdue, Northwestern, MSU x2 games will be viewed as the building blocks for the program. Corey made that happen. I like how people also act like this program won't skip a beat with Geo and Mathis coming in. Sanders had a much better freshman year than Geo did. Mathis should be a nice player, but low 4* recruits typically don't have a major impact right away. This thread sounds like the one that acted like losing Nigel Johnson was no big deal.

@higgins3 Carter has a good body great motor, decent hands and great feet... he is a little undersized because he is a pure back to the basket type player. He'll need time to figure it out at the HM level but he'll help.

For sure.

As long as he is ready to contribute something. He seems to get a long with a team, and is not a selfless player. That will help the program out a ton.

Reactions: cRURah
He may be OUR best player but at the end of the day it doesn’t change the record...Corey is an excellent athlete who just doesn’t do enough of the things this team needs... What is OUR record ? I love people like you who claim a post is idiotic but then really can’t back it up with proof.He is not a consistent player and people with more expertise than both you and I know that.I just don’t see the love you seem to have for him. He is OUR best but that isn’t saying much.Perhaps if we had 6-7 more quality players then we could overcome his many off times.

Not backing my opinion up with proof? You say he didn’t change our record. Of course he changed our record. He won several games single handedly. He was placed in the position where he had to score while being double teamed, maybe triple teamed sometimes, thus there were some games where his production lagged. This year would have been a car wreck without him.

No Unionst I did not say Corey did not improve our record . What I said was ...look at our record.Our record is worse than last seasons. It does not matter how many games he won individually. I know there are just as many games in which Sanders did diddley squat . ..Here’s what I suggest for a guy like you who defends a great one on one player but doesn’t recognize this is a TEAM game. Where was this magical player after the Seton Hall game when our record was somewhere like 11-6. It is now 13-18 . This isn’t a knock on the player known as Corey Sanders. It is a factual report of why we collapsed. There are at least 100 guards better overall in college basketball...better team leaders ... better ballhandlers... better shooters... and who make their teams better.’

Already said Indiana.. at Penn State and at Michigan down 5 and 6 at the half respectively..

Disagree about this team being a 2-3 win team next year in B1G with Corey. Much more depth, subtraction of some low IQ players or people who can't shoot, Geo, Omoruyi, Thiam and Doucore all have off seasons to get better

I think we can win 4–5 B1G games next year if Sanders returns but a lot of people seem to discount that the B1G is expected to be stronger next year and our recruiting class is ranked near the bottom of the league.

Magoo and in there lies the problem for 2019... the conference overall had a down year ...If we are better then for sure most of the teams will be better...Recruiting for 2019 has got to be top 5-6 or we will be having these conversations 3-4 years from now...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT