ADVERTISEMENT

Corey’s post “The Last One”

It's called a complete lack of perspective.

It's more that Corey's efficiency numbers represent the realistic floor for a major-conference guard. Pittsburgh is playing guys off the street (basically) and their 6-2, three-star guard has a higher ORtg. California is a disaster and their high-usage guys all have better efficiency numbers.

Essentially, if we're unable to replace Sanders' raw point numbers considering how inefficient he plays to get them (disclaimer, he's been better in February but still not very good) then we have bigger problems.

Reactions: bac2therac
This is reminiscent of the annual will he or won't he we went through with Quincy Douby. Huge question marks about whether he would return for his soph season--go pro or even transfer--and then would he return for his junior season. He finally left after his junior season and had a brief and unsuccessful NBA career before becoming a legend in China. Corey is really not the offensive player Douby was, but we have been so short of shooters the last few years that we sense impending doom if he were to leave.

We have had a tough year, outmanned way too often. But two young players--Omoruyi and Baker--are building blocks. Saw on BTN a few days ago that Geo has played the most minutes of any B1G freshman, and he just hit the wall. Had given all he could give, and the last few games he was too worn out to do anything. Some can say, he is young and should be resilient, but the wall is real, just like the sophomore slump in baseball is real. The new guys coming in are not Sa, Thiam and Mensah, but guys with skills. The roster will still be a little thin next season, but it will be a much improved roster, even if Sanders leaves for Cyprus. We have too many Sunshine Soldiers on this board with absolutely unreasonable expectations.
TL

The difference between 3-15 and 0-18 is not exactly an MVP case.

Tell that to Mulcahy or any other recruits who watched in person as RU beat Seton Hall (where Sanders went off) ,Northwestern, or watch RU up 1 with 8 seconds left at Michigan State. I am sure they would want to play for RU if RU was 0-18, losing by 25 each game.

Tell that to Mulcahy or any other recruits who watched in person as RU beat Seton Hall (where Sanders went off) ,Northwestern, or watch RU up 1 with 8 seconds left at Michigan State. I am sure they would want to play for RU if RU was 0-18, losing by 25 each game.
Like they basically did in most of the other losses other than MSU and Purdue?

And our record is what since the win against Seton Hall ...right... we are about 3 &12 since that HISTORIC win...it will go down as " we shot our load triumph" ...harsh...cruel ...but spot on and why people laugh at our sports programs.

Reactions: dmitch023
Like they basically did in most of the other losses other than MSU and Purdue?

I'll give you first Purdue game, both Ohio State games, first Illinois game, and Indiana game (Minnesota game they were down 8 with like 7 mins left).. That's 5 out of 15 losses, 1/3 of the games is not most games

We are also awful with him.

This team needs a complete overhaul.

agree...this team needs ALOT...Pike hamstrung with Freeman and Sanders because do not think those were the type of players he wants...so the bar is so low at RU that 3-15 season are cause to say things look great. RU can lose with Corey or lose without Corey. Part of that accelerating the timeline thread had to do moreso with getting all of Pikes players in here sooner than later, the more he can do that, the quicker he can work on a rebuild. Lests face it next year RU is looking again at 14th place and 2-4 conference wins...with Corey or without.

Reactions: mikemarc1
I'll give you first Purdue game, both Ohio State games, first Illinois game, and Indiana game (Minnesota game they were down 8 with like 7 mins left).. That's 5 out of 15 losses, 1/3 of the games is not most games

Indiana, Penn State, Maryland and Michigan were also losses where the game was never in doubt in the 2nd halves

We are also awful with him.

This team needs a complete overhaul.
Well we get nothing from the 2, 3, and 5 spots so I guess you’re hoping for a lot of player movement...

We aren’t going to make the tourney next year. I want Pikes guys in here that he can develop. Cory isn’t going to make or break the season next year. Bring in fresh faces

Indiana, Penn State, Maryland and Michigan were also losses where the game was never in doubt in the 2nd halves

Already said Indiana.. at Penn State and at Michigan down 5 and 6 at the half respectively..

Disagree about this team being a 2-3 win team next year in B1G with Corey. Much more depth, subtraction of some low IQ players or people who can't shoot, Geo, Omoruyi, Thiam and Doucore all have off seasons to get better

Corey will be gone one way or the other before Mulcahy or any other ‘19 recruit hits the campus. They’re buying into the staff, not this season’s record ... or next. I doubt if it matters whether RU wins 5 in the B1G with Corey or only 3 or 4 with Strickland, Geo or a grad transfer at the point. The staff is selling recruits on its kids, not the EJ leftovers.

i think this line up can be .500 next year 16-15

Sanders (sr)
Baker (so)
Mathis (fr)
Onamuyri (jr)
Carter (jr)

1st perimeter off the bench player-Kiss (so)
1st big man off the bench player-Doicoure (so)
2nd perimeter off the bench player-Harper or thiam
2nd big man off the bench player-doorson or Johnson

If Corey stays we have hope for a winning season. If not, it will be hard to expect

We are 3-14 in Big Ten Play. I’m not saying I want him to leave but this idea he is some great player is crazy.

He can play great, and when he does, we outplay our record. But is extremely inconsistent and is an average player for his position in the Big Ten much more often than not

It's more that Corey's efficiency numbers represent the realistic floor for a major-conference guard. Pittsburgh is playing guys off the street (basically) and their 6-2, three-star guard has a higher ORtg. California is a disaster and their high-usage guys all have better efficiency numbers.

Essentially, if we're unable to replace Sanders' raw point numbers considering how inefficient he plays to get them (disclaimer, he's been better in February but still not very good) then we have bigger problems.

I'll never fault a player for not being good enough unless it's due to a lack of effort to improve his game or being uncoachable. If a player is putting in the effort and is coachable, but still fails to improve the weaknesses in his game, I'm left to believe that he's maxed out his potential and just may not be the savior that many RU fans expect the consensus best or "most talented" player on the team to be.

As you've pointed out, our best still doesn't quite equal the "average" of other programs, but I cut these kids some slack because it's clear they're putting in the effort on the court. The rest, as you've implied, is a recruiting issue. One that I have faith Pikiell and company will address.

Reactions: RURM85 and GORU2014
Yep. And I think Miles is better than Freeman. As hard as Freeman had played for us, he was just undersized. There's no way he was 6'7". On a "good day" he may have been about 6'5". Whatever he does in life I wish him well.
Didnt realize height varies day to day lol... but yeah no way he anything above 6'4" maybe 6'5".

Reactions: RC71 and RU MAN
I had hoped Corey would return for next season but I understand if he does not. I just hope if he decides to leave that he makes it official as soon as the season is over. Good luck to Corey either way. I hope he gets his degree.

Yep. And I think Miles is better than Freeman. As hard as Freeman had played for us, he was just undersized. There's no way he was 6'7". On a "good day" he may have been about 6'5". Whatever he does in life I wish him well.
He is certainly taller. But I can't see any argument for him being better. We have absolutely nothing to base that on.

Some thought it was the end of the world when Mack and Jack left after their senior years. How could we replace our 2 best players? College players come and go in the blink of an eye.

Of course I hope Corey stays for his senior year and really appreciate all his hard work and effort he puts into his game.

At the same time, counting on the Coaching staff to continue to focus on defense/rebounding, bring some shooters in, upgrade the bench and develop current players that plan to play hard for the 2018-2019 campaign.

Some thought it was the end of the world when Mack and Jack left after their senior years. How could we replace our 2 best players? College players come and go in the blink of an eye.

Of course I hope Corey stays for his senior year and really appreciate all his hard work and effort he puts into his game.

At the same time, counting on the Coaching staff to continue to focus on defense/rebounding, bring some shooters in, upgrade the bench and develop current players that plan to play hard for the 2018-2019 campaign.

Well to be fair, the year after Mack and Jack left, the team was the worst power 5 team in the country.

Well to be fair, the year after Mack and Jack left, the team was the worst power 5 team in the country.

You're right. In Mack/Jack senior year, we won 2 B1G games, 2-16. The year after the floor dropped and we won 1 B1G game, 1-17. We were terrible with them and 1 game worse in conference w/o them. The constant was the Head Coach, no defense and optional rebounding.

Reactions: dpwhite
You're right. In Mack/Jack senior year, we won 2 B1G games, 2-16. The year after the floor dropped and we won 1 B1G game, 1-17. We were terrible with them and 1 game worse in conference w/o them. The constant was the Head Coach, no defense and optional rebounding.

I was being silly.

Reactions: RURM85
Perhaps we angst too much over this Corey leaving NOT leaving crap ? What is our record in BB since the 4*** Sanders arrived ? How many post season tournaments other than the B1G have we gone to? Can we agree Pikiell seems to have a plan A and B in place ? Is it possible we might get a guard who though rated a 3*** may be a better overall and consistent player than Sanders. When Sanders is good he's very good .When he is off he is way off.Personally I don't see him playing other than in Asia or European leagues. He stands very little chance to play in the NBA. It is a fact he just ain't that good folks.

The guy is far and away our best player. Idiotic post of the year.

He may be OUR best player but at the end of the day it doesn’t change the record...Corey is an excellent athlete who just doesn’t do enough of the things this team needs... What is OUR record ? I love people like you who claim a post is idiotic but then really can’t back it up with proof.He is not a consistent player and people with more expertise than both you and I know that.I just don’t see the love you seem to have for him. He is OUR best but that isn’t saying much.Perhaps if we had 6-7 more quality players then we could overcome his many off times.

Even Lebron James cannot carry a team alone! We get NOTHING from the 2, 3, and 5. We have no depth on the bench. We’re all hoping for Pikiell’s flyers to overachieve and become players that can take us to the Dance; the message board favorites who were diamonds in the rough out of high school and under-recruited. We’ve all seen this movie for 27 years. They won’t.

I believe Montez Mathis is an upgrade to Geo Baker. This is who we need more of. Montez Mathis’s and Corey Sanders’s. Our competition brings in two to three of these players a year. In three years, Pikiell has brought in one (Mathis). Shaq Carter may be an upgrade to Deshawn, but he’s graduating in 2 years. We’re not dancing next year, even with Corey, so the 2019 freshman class will need to take us over the top when Carter is a Senior. Not realistic. If the 2019 class is special, maybe.

It’s the Jimmys and the Joes. Today at the RAC, Illinois “looked” to have the Jimmys and the Joes and they shared last place with us before 0:00. We’re so far behind a co-basement dweller in the B1G. That’s sad.

2019 Steve. Let’s see if you can close.

Geeze guys there is ZERO need for some of these posts and, as much as I think he’d be a big plus next year with 4 newcomers expecting to be contributing, that tweet seems pretty apparent to me and, despite the fact that I’ve given him a hard time when warranted, I say:

Thank you, Mr Sanders, and good luck!

Reactions: KevH and GORU2014
Even Lebron James cannot carry a team alone! We get NOTHING from the 2, 3, and 5. We have no depth on the bench. We’re all hoping for Pikiell’s flyers to overachieve and become players that can take us to the Dance; the message board favorites who were diamonds in the rough out of high school and under-recruited. We’ve all seen this movie for 27 years. They won’t.

I believe Montez Mathis is an upgrade to Geo Baker. This is who we need more of. Montez Mathis’s and Corey Sanders’s. Our competition brings in two to three of these players a year. In three years, Pikiell has brought in one (Mathis). Shaq Carter may be an upgrade to Deshawn, but he’s graduating in 2 years. We’re not dancing next year, even with Corey, so the 2019 freshman class will need to take us over the top when Carter is a Senior. Not realistic. If the 2019 class is special, maybe.

It’s the Jimmys and the Joes. Today at the RAC, Illinois “looked” to have the Jimmys and the Joes and they shared last place with us before 0:00. We’re so far behind a co-basement dweller in the B1G. That’s sad.

2019 Steve. Let’s see if you can close.
I feel confident Carter will be an upgrade. Let’s nit forget purdue and Xavier offered him.

Good bye, Corey.

On to 2020, also known as Year 4. Why would anyone think that Pikiell could turn RU around faster than his track record at Stony Brook? And, no, I don't expect RU to finish 1st in Year 5.

2005–06 4–24 2–14 9th
2006–07 9–20 4–12 9th
2007--08 7-23 3-13 8th
2008–09 16–14 8–8 5th
2009–10 22–10 13–3 1st

Reactions: littlenis5
Easy for Sanders to say now that he's leaving. Might be harder when he finds out exactly how much interest there is. If he's dead-set on leaving then of course I wish him the best, but I just don't see there being a ton of heat on him from the NBA or the Euroleague. He could surely find playing time in a lower-level league overseas, and heck who knows it only takes scout to fall in love with his athleticism and convince a team to sign him and try to rework his shot in the G-League.

The one thing I am certain of is that he won't be drafted, so if he goes pro hoping for that then he's getting bad advice.

It would benefit the fan base to stop making assumptions off this Last game post.

I will say, it is not a cool thing to do to keep going back and forth every year.

I hope Sanders finds the best possible situation for himself.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Edgar Sosa (Lousiville) is playing in the Australian NBL for the NZ Breakers. Think he took over for a Jesey guy, Cedric Jackson. That league is probably a fit.

Good riddens!
The fact that’s you have gone through X amount of years thinking that “riddens” is a word and riddance doesn’t exist is almost as pathetic as your basketball knowledge. Please tell me you didn’t graduate from RU...

Reactions: soundcrib
That doesn't mean Purdue and Xavier planned to use him the same way Rutgers does.

It doesn't, but after scoring 12 and 20 rebounds at the JUCO level, you think he will help here.

It means that high level programs went after him. Not the usual situation that happens here.

He will be used for rebounding, and close to the rim put backs. Things he is already proficient at.

It doesn't, but after scoring 12 and 20 rebounds at the JUCO level, you think he will help here.

It means that high level programs went after him. Not the usual situation that happens here.

He will be used for rebounding, and close to the rim put backs. Things he is already proficient at.
Please give us somebody that can score consistently on 3-4 put backs a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT